IGNORED

New Crest - New Robin?

Phileas Fogg

Could well be nothing.. but something I spotted.. Got a bit lost in the big ticket thread but something caught my eye from the graphic we used to announce it on Instagram.

There’s three artistic sketches of a Robin as part of it, a design we haven’t used before.

There’s been a couple of whispers about a new crest.. could this be the ‘new’ style Robin?

ECF94665-C5AD-4281-9DE0-1E6B6D879B79.jpeg

A6482ED2-2795-4544-98D1-D36F845C103C.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Could well be nothing.. but something I spotted.. Got a bit lost in the big ticket thread but something caught my eye from the graphic we used to announce it on Instagram.

There’s three artistic sketches of a Robin as part of it, a design we haven’t used before.

There’s been a couple of whispers about a new crest.. could this be the ‘new’ style Robin?

Were the whispers actually anything other than the annual thread we have on here?

A very smart robin on that image nonetheless.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Were the whispers actually anything other than the annual thread we have on here?

A very smart robin on that image nonetheless.

JL has mentioned it a few times on twitter, even had a poll on fans thoughts not so long back. Didn't say it was a review or anything to say they were thinking about a (long needed) badge update just wanted to guage feelings. Can't say I remember the outcome either, sure someone will know

I'd welcome the robin back with open arms (wings?)

48 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

A more dynamic looking robin, perched atop a football, with the suspension bridge in the background would be welcomed with open arms.

How does a robin look more dynamic? Genuine question as someone in work said I had to be more dynamic and after questioning a few times I still have no idea what they (or you for that matter) mean.

1 minute ago, Pezo said:

How does a robin look more dynamic? Genuine question as someone in work said I had to be more dynamic and after questioning a few times I still have no idea what they (or you for that matter) mean.

Hahahaha, a more animated, less idle robin. One in action rather than just sat on the ball, flying or kicking a pirate in the head or something.

Believe me, I'm not one for corporate speak!

Really hope we’re looking at going back to the Robin as our badge....the current crest has been used by both Roverzzz and Glos CCC as their badge in the past so it just ain’t unique to us...I want a badge that screams ‘Bristol City’ not just a generic crest used by other sports clubs....we had a robin in front of a world famous landmark that can be viewed from our stadium as our last badge...how incredibly appropriate and pleasing was that?! 

11 hours ago, Fiale said:

looks like a poor tattoo with fresh blood spots still on the surrounding skin

When I saw it on the other thread, in isolation, I honestly thought that’s what it was.

i quite like it, but it isn’t Robin enough for me. It could be any bird. Robins are rounder, dumpier and of course have a red breast.

31 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

I so wish we could get rid of that garbage crest and bring back the Robin on the ball and the Suspension Bridge. The crest is awful. I have hated it since day one. Every time I buy a City shirt I unpick it and take it off and replace it with my old subbers crest.

Sorry, utterly disagree. I think the robin, football and suspension bridge badge was abysmal. Very 1970s and amateurish.

Clearly a marmite image - love it or hate it!

7 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Sorry, utterly disagree. I think the robin, football and suspension bridge badge was abysmal. Very 1970s and amateurish.

Clearly a marmite image - love it or hate it!

Agreed, the old robin badge looks absolutely awful. Fine for it’s time but looks very dated and amateur. If it makes a comeback it needs to be in a modern guise. 

Brentford by far and away leading the ‘rebrand’ race. Clean and simple. 

12 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'm undoubtably going to be in the minority here but, I'm a great fan of the older simple badges like Derby County's Ram, Sheffield Wednesday's Owl (before they changed it) and the Fox design Leicester had years ago (not the current one). I like the Wolves badge as well.

Id love us to have that Robin outline as our badge.

Nice and simple, obviously minus the splatter.

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I'm undoubtably going to be in the minority here but, I'm a great fan of the older simple badges like Derby County's Ram, Sheffield Wednesday's Owl (before they changed it) and the Fox design Leicester had years ago (not the current one). I like the Wolves badge as well.

I'm in that minority as well 

See a ram or an owl or a fox you know instantly who it is, dare I even add pirate to this list?

As people have mentioned when this thread comes up, we aren't the only robins out there. What can we do to make sure we aren't Cheltenham, Charlton (add any more robin associated clubs). I quite like the Cheltenham rebrand they done done a few years ago. Maybe we could have robin purple or lime breast?

40 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I'm in that minority as well 

See a ram or an owl or a fox you know instantly who it is, dare I even add pirate to this list?

As people have mentioned when this thread comes up, we aren't the only robins out there. What can we do to make sure we aren't Cheltenham, Charlton (add any more robin associated clubs). I quite like the Cheltenham rebrand they done done a few years ago. Maybe we could have robin purple or lime breast?

Spot on Woodsy.

Swansea is another one, Forest as well. Lovely simple designs, you could put any of those on a flag without any words and people would know exactly who the club is.

42 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Spot on Woodsy.

Swansea is another one, Forest as well. Lovely simple designs, you could put any of those on a flag without any words and people would know exactly who the club is.

That is what it is for me. The crest is poor in my opinion. No identity with that. 

This is identity.....all day long. 

Up the robins, not the boring crest. Yyyyaaaawwwwwwnnnn.

IMG_3190.JPG

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Spot on Woodsy.

100% agree- the simplest designs are the most recognisable and best. Coat of arms style are too fussy and lack a clear identity from design perspective.

Definitely support bringing back the robin with bridge (or gate) in some form. Never really a fan of our crest badge.

Archived