IGNORED

Match Report: No shame as City fade at Burnley

Olé

Rob….for the first goal, what happened from our goal-kick…the tv camera was replaying the cross when it suddenly panned back to Benson striding into our box.  The replay showed Maatsen winning a header from our throw-in, Scott missing the interception, etc.

But how did we get a throw-in?

Did we try to play out short and it get closed down / deflected out for a throw-in???

51 minutes ago, Olé said:

It's not often you head into the international break after two defeats and still feel positive - but City's second successive loss in four days against ex Premier League opposition had enough ingredients to keep away fans in upbeat mood: Burnley by far the best side so far faced, Nigel Pearson's men always in the game right to the end, offering plenty of threat until fading badly second half against relentless Clarets passing and possession.

The hosts new signing Manuel Benson tore into City from the start with his energy and pace, claiming an early opener before the visitors had even settled - but they grew into the fixture by pressing their opponents high and increasingly creating chances - leading to Nahki Wells equalizing from a right wing corner against his old side. But a long week of travel took its toll as City ran out of steam and Jay Rodriguez got a well worked winner.

63ADB1FE-E35C-49DB-80AF-BCCCA6164EBC.thumb.jpeg.54fa4db3455e543c98cf6b4e9c86590b.jpeg

In 3 minutes Benson danced clear down the right to flash the ball across goal which was close to being converted far post. A minute later and Burnley carved a path through the middle with space opening up, Ian Maatsen nodding into the path of Benson who drove a low shot into the far bottom corner for an early lead. It would have been easy for City to crumble but to their credit they continued to play football according to their gameplan.

Chasing and pressing the hosts at the other end led to Jay DaSilva recycling an attack in to Matty James in the middle whose chance to volley was curtailed by being upended by an opponent - incredibly no foul given - and Burnley broke downfield, Zak Vyner robbing the ball in the box but the Clarets recovering quickly to tee up ex-City star Josh Brownhill whose laser guided finish into the top corner was desperately blocked by Kal Naismith.

As on Wednesday at Norwich, City took the game to their fancied opponents, looking for routes to open them up, but midway through the half it was slick Burnley that again sliced through the middle, then going wing to wing as Benson and Maatsen combined to probe before Rodriguez squared into the six yard box for unmarked Nathan Tella to somehow put wide at close range. Like midweek the visitors swung from threat to vulnerable. 

Yet minutes later this irrepressible City side had found their equaliser - Wells did well to win a corner out on the right which Naismith dropped perfectly into the six yard box and quick thinking Tommy Conway slipped into the path of the Bermudan from just a yard out, who applied the easy finish. In a season where Pearson's men continue to delight, it was another highlight for the traveling fans. 

Now the away side were giving as good as they got. With 10 left Benson recycled play and Brownhill teed up Maatsen to lift toward the top corner but Daniel Bentley saved. At the other end Rob Atkinson stole the ball on the halfway line and broke with a storming charge into the box to force a corner. Next a throw in saw Wells near post backward nod nearly creep in the far corner, then Burnley broke but Mark Sykes recovered brilliantly.

And amazingly, City could have been ahead at the break - Andi Weimann, who had been leading their press, strode out of midfield to lob a smart up and over which allowed Wells in behind the backline to skew a ball into the six yard box where the on-running Austrian was painfully close to bundling in. With star man Alex Scott on a distinctly orange yellow card after clattering Jack Cork, Pearson put both Williams and on during the interval.

With City tiring but Burnley also susceptible to pace at the back, it looked like two clever switches - instead the visitors disappeared second half with neither substitute effective and also missing Scott's midfield enterprise. Though it was the away side who fashioned the first chance after the restart - robbing a ball on the right for Sykes to send in a deep early cross which Wells looped just under the bar with a header Ari Muric tipped over.

And that was it for City as Burnley executed patient possession football, probing side to side for an opening whilst the tiring visitors repeatedly failed to clear their lines or keep hold of the ball. Sub Gudmundsson already forced Bentley to save low to his right when given time in the box and for ten minutes we defended gamefully until midway through the half he centered and Rodriguez stole a yard to steer a header into the bottom corner. 

Pearson's jaded men had limited response. A dangerous right wing Naismith corner was half cleared to Williams whose driven volley was clawed away by Muric. Han Massengo entered for James and was quickly involved in City's best move of the fixture as Sykes combined with Wells through quick touches before the latter got into the box and laid a perfectly weighted ball back to Semenyo who with time and space fired wildly over. 

Chris Martin replaced Atkinson as Pearson went for broke. Rodriguez volleyed well wide after more good work by star man Brownhill, while Jay DaSilva intercepted in his own half and sent Wells on a lung bursting run down the left to cross with Burnley players out of position, but when it fell to Semenyo his shot was well blocked. Next lethargic Massengo got caught in possession on halfway - sub Anass Zaroury forcing Bentley to tip wide.

The mark of City's progress is they were still in with a shout against the best team they'd played and despite being visibly exhausted - and in injury time they could have levelled, Weimann sent clear down the right channel and his cross evaded defenders and needed a desperate touch to stop Semenyo turn in. And still shattered City came. Give and go's around the box deep in injury time, only for Wells to fire wildly over from Williams pass.

6A3D5357-09B4-4787-AECE-6147EA47A1C7.thumb.jpeg.3cc8ef26c34585dc689a305cda1b47df.jpeg

In the end a fair result on the balance of play, in particular the one sided second half - yet it didn't deter the large away following from applauding their purposeful, hard working team; no shame in seeing their run of form curtailed against two promotion favourites, and City gave a good account in one and a half of the two contests, demonstrating their credentials. Perhaps why Pearson engaged in a rare salute in front of the away fans.

Bentley 7

Naismith 7

Atkinson 7

Vyner 7

Sykes 8

DaSilva 6

James 6

Scott 7

Weimann 6

Wells 8

Conway 6

Semenyo 5

Williams 6

Massengo 4

Martin 5

Breathless and brilliant as usual, Rob. Sorry to be pedantic though. It was Atkinson that blocked Brownhills volley in the first half and Conway who was put in by Wells from Weimanns pass on 45 + 1 minutes.

I didn’t read Ole’s, I’m sure, excellent report. The issue was between the first and second half, we did not have Scott breaking up play. As such we were  constantly under pressure after the break. 

That boy is the best kid I’ve seen since Rooney, bloody outstanding!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Positive signs so far this season but Pearson seriously needs to shore up the defence a bit if we're going to make any real progress

At present with squad till January I feel we are doing really well. I feel the important addition is a defensive midfielder. To work as a pivot and breaking up of opposition play . But that  not coming until at least Jan. And potentially not until present players sold first

• Like 1

8 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I didn’t read Ole’s, I’m sure, excellent report. The issue was between the first and second half, we did not have Scott breaking up play. As such we were  constantly under pressure after the break. 

That boy is the best kid I’ve seen since Rooney, bloody outstanding!

It's just up there mate ?

Did people really want NP out?

Plenty (including myself) were questioning his tactics - particularly sitting back on a lead and letting last minute goals in - but I don’t remember seeing any serious calls for him to be sacked. 
I must admit that I’m only an occasional visitor here though so I may have missed some threads……….

7 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Plenty (including myself) were questioning his tactics - particularly sitting back on a lead and letting last minute goals in - but I don’t remember seeing any serious calls for him to be sacked. 
I must admit that I’m only an occasional visitor here though so I may have missed some threads……….

There were quite a few.

11 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Yep.

Because quite a few had written their own agendas pre-season, eg he’s got til the WC, he’s got to the first international break…then we lose the first two…and they can’t even give him the time they originally set.

They can judge after 2 games, but when we win a few, they tell everyone else that they have to wait til October (or whenever) to get carried away.  The reality is nobody was even getting carried away (maybe in jest), but it saves their pride over a ridiculous two game sacking request.

A few OTIBers could do with listening to Nige’s interviews both after losses and wins.  Thank god he’s level-headed.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

There was a thread at end of July questioning his tenure and whether he’d be sacked

Then a couple of weeks later , this thread , some interesting views

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep.

Because quite a few had written their own agendas pre-season, eg he’s got til the WC, he’s got to the first international break…then we lose the first two…and they can’t even give him the time they originally set.

They can judge after 2 games, but when we win a few, they tell everyone else that they have to wait til October (or whenever) to get carried away.  The reality is nobody was even getting carried away (maybe in jest), but it saves their pride over a ridiculous two game sacking request.

A few OTIBers could do with listening to Nige’s interviews both after losses and wins.  Thank god he’s level-headed.

Thank God he’s ours.

Somewhat fearful he may be lured to either Bournemouth or Leicester over this international break. Would be absolutely gutted if this happened …. with consequences for the backroom staff too one suspects.

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

Thank God he’s ours.

Somewhat fearful he may be lured to either Bournemouth or Leicester over this international break. Would be absolutely gutted if this happened …. with consequences for the backroom staff too one suspects.

I honestly think this is his last job in football, he’s up for the challenge…and won’t be going anywhere.

I don’t see either of those clubs even having him in their picture.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I'll hold my hand up...I questioned whether he was right for us due to some dreadful performances and bizarre tactics last season and the start of this...so quite justified at that time and under those circumstances I recon.

I said I would give it a few games and may well change my mind if things improve.....and yes, things have improved and I am slowly coming round to him. 

But I certainly won't be fully on side until he sorts out the one basic thing that most managers normally prioritise first...the fragile, leaky defence.  

• Like 1

Certainly have no complaints from the last two games. We all knew that we have had benefitted from some pretty poor finishing by the opposition in previous games, and that these two teams would be less generous.

I didn't see the Norwich game but even a few neutrals I read were in agreement that we would have got a result on another day, take out the 2 Naismith gifts and we run out 2-1 winners. :)

Knowing that the players didn't arrive home until 4am on Thursday morning I thought they would just wilt away on Saturday. Even having a day off and flying to Manchester wasn't really going to balance that kind of travel schedule especially after having to play Norwich.

As it was, I thought Burnley looked destined to return to the Prem, not only do they have a lot of class players, but they had a work rate that matched our own. The fact that we were still going at 94 minutes is testament to work they have been putting in this summer and how the medical team have helped too.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I honestly think this is his last job in football, he’s up for the challenge…and won’t be going anywhere.

I don’t see either of those clubs even having him in their picture.

You may well be correct in your opening statement.

If that is true, he will want to do what no other City manager with one exception, has done since 1906. And the very positive side is that if it happens, he will have replicated to a large extent, how AD did it with a significant number from our youth and young ones with quality from other clubs.

Success for Pearson will give him a massive amount of satisfaction let alone the adoration and respect from every living City supporter.

I'm not saying it will happen but the transformation from the miserable performances that existed before and immediately after his arrival to what we've seen in the last couple of months is amazing.

We've just lost to two Premier parachutists but only by the odd goal and in matches where we could have nicked one or three points in both games. Onwards and hopefully upwards.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

What a great post-match interview.  Just zero bullshit, zero knee-jerking.

Fair enough.....and don't get me wrong,  as i am a supporter of NP (I will NEVER call him Nige Ha!!)  But there was not a lot of specific content, but a lot of repeated dialogue, which was mostly due to the poor questions?   Can someone please!!   ask him what is the situation with Kalas and Klose?

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Fair enough.....and don't get me wrong,  as i am a supporter of NP (I will NEVER call him Nige Ha!!)  But there was not a lot of specific content, but a lot of repeated dialogue, which was mostly due to the poor questions?   Can someone please!!   ask him what is the situation with Kalas and Klose?

Not great imo, seeing as one of his priorities if he had the opportunity 2/3 weeks ago was to bring in a Centre half.

I’ll be honest, I thought many weren’t quite up to scratch on Saturday. Trying not to be too harsh because we did settle after 20 minutes and I think there was clearly a fatigue factor. Just felt most weren’t quite up to the intensity of Burnley. This is more in possession than defending. Burnley were quick to close down and aggressive and physical in their tackling. I thought we were weak and a bit timid. All that in mind I’d drop a few of your ratings 1 and maybe a rare 2. 

Again this isn’t really a knock. More of a lesson learned. The truly good sides(which there are not many) are a different level. We were well organised defensively but need to be a bit sharper in possession against these top sides. Young squad and no one didn’t work just shows the level you have to be at every game. 

I thought Wells was the only forward player well up for it. Knew he was going to get bumped in possession and stayed strong and upright. Battled all the way. He was easily my pick of the match. 

I get worry about yourself in games but thought NP maybe was a bit too stubborn in his team selection considering the day of rest less and all the travel. I would have dropped the Weimann role and went with a more traditional 3. Would not have started James so soon after Norwich. Also think Conway could have used some minutes off. Semenyo and Wells with Williams Massengo and Scott. Weimann, James and Conway to change the game later if needed. A small thing but NP does say about our small squad but I don’t feel he utilises the few good enough to start players enough nor the 5 subs enough considering that we do have a smaller squad. 

A lot to like though. Our first real test away to two relegated prem clubs who have spent money. Honestly so unlucky coming away with no points. The performances were worth 3-4 points for sure. Big few games at home now and just need to be a little careful not to let 2 unlucky losses spiral into 3-4. Not massively worried of that however. Could just be a bit of stress from the last 2-3 seasons?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I’ll be honest, I thought many weren’t quite up to scratch on Saturday.

Agree, but I guess that’s what happens against better teams / individuals, especially if they are also on their game.

Trying not to be too harsh because we did settle after 20 minutes and I think there was clearly a fatigue factor. Just felt most weren’t quite up to the intensity of Burnley. This is more in possession than defending. Burnley were quick to close down and aggressive and physical in their tackling. I thought we were weak and a bit timid.

I think there were one or two moments in the opening 20 minutes where the ball got knocked into a forward position and I thought our player could’ve “gone through” them, or at least ket his opponent know he wasn’t gonna get a pass under no pressure.  In fairness after that opening salvo we did settle and had the home fans turning on their team.

All that in mind I’d drop a few of your ratings 1 and maybe a rare 2. 

Again this isn’t really a knock. More of a lesson learned. The truly good sides(which there are not many) are a different level. We were well organised defensively but need to be a bit sharper in possession against these top sides.

yep, you have to relieve pressure by keeping it when you earn it back, but we did have a good disciplined shape.

Young squad and no one didn’t work just shows the level you have to be at every game. 

I thought Wells was the only forward player well up for it. Knew he was going to get bumped in possession and stayed strong and upright. Battled all the way. He was easily my pick of the match.

Wells was excellent.  Proof (further proof) that you can play without a traditional target man.  He is most definitely playing his best spell in a City shirt…albeit a grey one that was difficult to see on Robinstv’

I get worry about yourself in games but thought NP maybe was a bit too stubborn in his team selection considering the day of rest less and all the travel. I would have dropped the Weimann role and went with a more traditional 3.

Which is what we did after 15-20 minutes…Weimann moving into more of a role that saw James drop back to more of a DM and Weimann / Scott playing more CMs either side, taking it in turns to close Roberts (RB).  That allowed Dasilva to pick up Benson rather than exposing Atkinson which also gave them a lot of space.  So we reacted, as you say maybe we should’ve started like that and eased ourselves into the game.  After that, Burnley played around their back 4 and didn’t really create anything of note.  The goal also rocked them.  At h-t we were right back in the game, and an early second half Wells header continued that.

Would not have started James so soon after Norwich. Also think Conway could have used some minutes off.

my team before the game was Williams for James, Semenyo for Conway.  Not saying that was a sure thing to get a result, just thought it would need a freshen up.  I called the 2 h-t subs also.

Semenyo and Wells with Williams Massengo and Scott. Weimann, James and Conway to change the game later if needed. A small thing but NP does say about our small squad but I don’t feel he utilises the few good enough to start players enough nor the 5 subs enough considering that we do have a smaller squad.

Yep, I agreed but I also think as a fan it’s easy to “make subs in our heads” without consequence, so I don’t go too big on this…but think improvement can be made in this respect. 

A lot to like though. Our first real test away to two relegated prem clubs who have spent money. Honestly so unlucky coming away with no points. The performances were worth 3-4 points for sure. Big few games at home now and just need to be a little careful not to let 2 unlucky losses spiral into 3-4. Not massively worried of that however. Could just be a bit of stress from the last 2-3 seasons?

I’m sure a lot of people are now expecting us to get back to winning ways with our next set of fixtures, but we do need to take each game as it comes, never expect a win…earn it instead.

We are in a good place going into a break.  I don’t think Kalas is the golden ticket, but hopefully we will see him back and that brings more competition.  We are better when we have competition.  We will undoubtedly get little injuries, the odd suspension (Scott will do well to avoid getting his 5th before game 19).

Importantly I think the players believe in the way we are trying to play too.  Roll on October!

⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

You may well be correct in your opening statement.

If that is true, he will want to do what no other City manager with one exception, has done since 1906. And the very positive side is that if it happens, he will have replicated to a large extent, how AD did it with a significant number from our youth and young ones with quality from other clubs.

Success for Pearson will give him a massive amount of satisfaction let alone the adoration and respect from every living City supporter.

I'm not saying it will happen but the transformation from the miserable performances that existed before and immediately after his arrival to what we've seen in the last couple of months is amazing.

We've just lost to two Premier parachutists but only by the odd goal and in matches where we could have nicked one or three points in both games. Onwards and hopefully upwards.

He'd never admit it publicly because he's far too professional, but I reckon he'd take even more satisfaction out of any success considering what an absolute shitshow he inherited. Same with Richard Gould.

It is without doubt obsessively pedantic?  But the goal we conceded in the 4th minute was just so so poor, that i have trouble getting my head round it?  it was almost as if we had not bothered getting up to speed at the beginning of the match?..............and it was a case of.....After you, No really after you, No really after you.  One of the poorest goals as a collective that we have conceded all season?  i  hope they watch it back a number of times when they analyse this defeat, and I trust that they are suitably embarassed and ashamed?

Just now, maxjak said:

It is without doubt obsessively pedantic?  But the goal we conceded in the 4th minute was just so so poor, that i have trouble getting my head round it?  it was almost as if we had not bothered getting up to speed at the beginning of the match?..............and it was a case of.....After you, No really after you, No really after you.  One of the poorest goals as a collective that we have conceded all season?  i  hope they watch it back a number of times when they analyse this defeat, and I trust that they are suitably embarassed and ashamed?

Can someone who was at the game remember what happened between us getting the goal-kick from Benson’s cross to the throw-in.  The cameraman decided to concentrate on replaying the cross…we only rejoined play as the ball fell to Benson again.  It was only the replay that showed we even had a throw-in.

Can someone fill in the gaps?

23 hours ago, Davefevs said:

albeit a grey one that was difficult to see on Robinstv’

Suspect it’s been mentioned elsewhere, but wonder if we’re having a bit of Man U’s travails when they had a grey shirt and complained they couldn’t see each other (Southampton away?) and so sacked it off. 

Whilst we should be looking to improve (and sure we are) we’ve got a rag-tag bag of youngsters and cheap/free signings, plus some left over from previous era. Fact that most of the time we look like a team and a half decent one quite often, seems pretty remarkable to me. Some of the goals past couple of games have been poor and cutting out mistakes is a laudable goal, but through October’s games, we’re also able to cut out playing against teams likely to punish our mistakes, that makes a big difference. If we improve our defending in the international break, we’ll be winning games comfortably thereafter. I’m more, or at least as, concerned as to whether we can keep our goal scoring form going, albeit, again, defences will be lower quality than we’ve played against recently. 

• Like 1

On 18/09/2022 at 11:32, Davefevs said:

Yep.

Those who wanted him out clearly never watched us when he first took over. We were an utter shambolic mess and had it not us having just enough points on the board already we'd have been relegated in 2021. 

Some fans don't watch us and just look at the result and assume we are not great, but you could see steady progress during the course of last season and a big improvement on performances going into this season. Those who wanted him sacked were obviously clueless at the mess he walked into in the first place. It was always going to take time to assemble a decent enough side to at least challenge and imprint a style onto the team.

I am so glad we have Pearson as Manager

• Like 3