IGNORED

Match Report: No shame as City fade at Burnley

Olé

8 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

The consensus seems to be that we were very much second best in this game, but xG says different (I'm not a fan of xG unless it works in our favour like this)

image.thumb.png.da0ab8b3fa809ab132c201646b196c0f.png

Experimental 361 has us winning 1.40 to 1.20.

Basically if you follow the xG model with Experimental 3-6-1 we're only a point or 2 worse off on there than the actual table so it clearly has some merit over time.

2 hours ago, CiderJar said:

The consensus seems to be that we were very much second best in this game, but xG says different (I'm not a fan of xG unless it works in our favour like this)

image.thumb.png.da0ab8b3fa809ab132c201646b196c0f.png

What needs to be factored in is that XG relates to “shots” only.  Burnley didn’t actually create that many “chances” that ended in shots.  They flashed balls across our box but you get 0 XG for that!  They had lots of possession, but they also spent a lot of the recycling the ball across the pitch, probing for openings, which we generally defended very well.  Had their defender not got a touch on Weimann’s late cross, Semenyo is in a great position to volley home…0 XG for that too!

If we go back to “big chances” (XG of 0.3 or more), we had 2 (Wells goal, Semenyo shot over), they had 1 (Tella’s weak effort first half that went wide).

Hence why I don’t use XG to decide a moral result, although you can use the timeline above to see the flow of “shots”.  Just like I don’t use possession stats either.  I don’t use any in isolation, you can sometimes read into a game by combining them though.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What needs to be factored in is that XG relates to “shots” only.  Burnley didn’t actually create that many “chances” that ended in shots.  They flashed balls across our box but you get 0 XG for that!  They had lots of possession, but they also spent a lot of the recycling the ball across the pitch, probing for openings, which we generally defended very well.  Had their defender not got a touch on Weimann’s late cross, Semenyo is in a great position to volley home…0 XG for that too!

If we go back to “big chances” (XG of 0.3 or more), we had 2 (Wells goal, Semenyo shot over), they had 1 (Tella’s weak effort first half that went wide).

Hence why I don’t use XG to decide a moral result, although you can use the timeline above to see the flow of “shots”.  Just like I don’t use possession stats either.  I don’t use any in isolation, you can sometimes read into a game by combining them though.

100% with you on this Fevs. I work with data and can use it to prove anything I want by selectively ignoring certain variables.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CiderJar said:

100% with you on this Fevs. I work with data and can use it to prove anything I want by selectively ignoring certain variables.

In that case,can you produce some data that proves what we all know,that we are in fact, the greatest team the world has ever seen.

• Haha 1