IGNORED

Bristol City Played In Blue And White Quarters?

cider gliders

Now you've thrown me.

A few years before that in the FA Cup City were away to Rotherham who play in red & white whilst Rovers were at another team playing in blue & white. City and gas swapped kits for the day to avoid colour clash in their games. How did they manage on other occasions? I thought City's then away strip was white & black.

The programme you've shown though, going by the adverts, is for a game at the Gate. Possibly City had a temporary problem with their kit as Accrington who normally played in red & white are playing in their second strip.

Please correct if wrong, but aren't two of that evening's City team still alive?

Now you've thrown me.

A few years before that in the FA Cup City were away to Rotherham who play in red & white whilst Rovers were at another team playing in blue & white. City and gas swapped kits for the day to avoid colour clash in their games. How did they manage on other occasions? I thought City's then away strip was white & black.

The programme you've shown though, going by the adverts, is for a game at the Gate. Possibly City had a temporary problem with their kit as Accrington who normally played in red & white are playing in their second strip.

Please correct if wrong, but aren't two of that evening's City team still alive?

it's a strange one and yes the two that signed the program are still alive and at the last city legends

event i did show them the picture and they both could not remember!

Just for the record;

1957-58 3rd round Accrington S 2 - Bristol C 2 (Hinshelwood, Curtis). Replay City 3 (Atyeo 2, Curtis) - Acc S 1

I seem to remember hearing that City played in blue in the FA Cup final as well.

1909 Cup Final both teams changed; City played in light blue (similar to Man C) whilst Man U played in white.

Just for the record;

1957-58 3rd round Accrington S 2 - Bristol C 2 (Hinshelwood, Curtis). Replay City 3 (Atyeo 2, Curtis) - Acc S 1

1909 Cup Final both teams changed; City played in light blue (similar to Man C) whilst Man U played in white.

Just whipped out my old City book. Says they played in an "unfamiliar royal blue".

I'm sure that Rovers once had red and white quartered shirt too, I remember them auctioning it off.

I don't think they played in it, I'm sure that it was made as a prototype by a kit manufacturer before the club pointed out that it wouldn't be a good idea!

i remember playing in red n white stripes away at hereford in the 70s with the gas..wierd eh !!

You might all be interested in the attached. It shows all of City's first choice kits back to their origin as Bedminster and Southville in 1887 when we looked more like Bradford City.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bristol_Ci...ristol_City.htm

You can also get all nauseous by looking at those horible quarters throughout the ages

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bristol_Ro...stol_Rovers.htm

I have a red and white quartered shirt. It was Wycombe Wanderers away shirt in the year they relegated the gas to the bottom tier of football and nearly, oh so nearly, out of existence.

i will try and find out..i started supporting the rovers in 1970 and we deffo havent played in redn white quarters only stripes..will get back to you chap.

OK folks, I've gone through my scrap book. In February 1994, the EP printed a photo of new City kits (5 home & 3 away)with fans being allowed to vote which one they preferred and the club undertook not to change it for at least two seasons.

One of those designs was for red & white quarters, so a single shirt was produced, but not adopted. A sponsor's name would have been in black writing.

Guest mesa boogie

Rovers did have a prototype red and white quartered shirt that was put forward in the late 80's early 90's. Was auctioned off a couple of years ago. That's pretty interesting you lot playing in the holy kit mind. The only reason we play in the quarters is Captain Albert Prince-Cox thought our players would look bigger.

Rovers did have a prototype red and white quartered shirt that was put forward in the late 80's early 90's. Was auctioned off a couple of years ago. That's pretty interesting you lot playing in the holy kit mind. The only reason we play in the quarters is Captain Albert Prince-Cox thought our players would look bigger.

It certainly works for Lambert and Walker. :yawn:

Haha! Cheers mesa! I knew that I wasn't going mad... (yet)

Interesting formation, 2-3-5!

I like the "lightweight, streamlined, special" boots!

this was a normal formation in the days of tom finney and stanley mathews what with outside lefts inside rights centre forwards and 2 defenders. The 5 up front would come back when the ball was hoofed up the pitch english football created the long ball only to see it spanked all over the park in that infamous 6-3 wembley drubbing by the great hungary team of the 50's when the hungarians played keep ball. We decided it might be a good idea to play in european competitionsto learn the continental game

Archived