IGNORED

Lee Trundle

DavidNoble

Personally, I don't think Lee has been happy for a while. He needs to be playing week in, week out...I find it unbelievable that a player with the talent that Lee has, can't get into the Bristol City team, or even the squad!

The Sky blog that he's written is the first time that Lee has shown his frustration at not being picked, at least publicly anyway.

He was, and still is, a hero down at Swansea, and it must be hard for him, after the adulation that he experienced down at The Vetch, and at The Liberty, to now be feeling almost as if he's being frozen out. I think that at 32, he needs to either be back in your team, or move on somewhere else where his skills will be appreciated. When Trunds is on song, there is no finer sight in football then him turning a couple of defenders, and placing the ball into the corner of the net. Also, you couldn't wish to meet a nicer guy, he always has time for the fans, and is always willing to sign autographs.

The only real run hes had in the side he was excellent (back end of last season) unfortunately GJ doesnt have a clue about what makes a good forward.

GJ's fondness of playing hard workers over quality will be his downfall. Truth is the best teams have a nice blend of both.

The only real run hes had in the side he was excellent (back end of last season) unfortunately GJ doesnt have a clue about what makes a good forward.

GJ's fondness of playing hard workers over quality will be his downfall. Truth is the best teams have a nice blend of both.

all true,

Maynard, Trundle, Byfield, Jevons.....all forwards who had decent goal records prior to City, but he can't/couldn't seem to get the best out of any of them, with Byfield/Jevons, it was fine because hadn't spent much on them and we could let go without problem

But with Trundle and Maynard costing over £3m, this a mistake no manager at this level, can't afford to get wrong when you spending that kinda money.

Trundle and/or Noble are possibly the most talented players at the club and for my money, where possible at least one of them should always be on the pitch, when Noble went of on Saturday, so did the creativity and flair, after Trundle's form late last season, I thought it would be the start for him her, but this season he just hasn't had a fair crack at all.

so is this where it starts then? The best manager we have had in years pushed out because a fans favourite makes comments about being frustrated at not playing?

I travel around the country a lot and everywhere I go the local fans would bite your hand off to get GJ.

We will struggle without him I can assure you, as Joni Mitchell said "don't it always go to show, that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone?"

I am sure you are all hoping that the team lose the next 3 games so you can start to lead the boo's and shout's of Johnson out. Familarity breeds comtempt they say and it looks like they are right in this case.

Somehow I feel that even if we won every game from now until xmas there would be same b***ocks written about, who isn't playing, team spirit, his son etc.

But then I suppose you all can produce a list of Managers who can step in and do a better job, rip the team apart, spend more money we don't have etc........? And of course if that Manager doesn't pick your favourites as well, it doesn't matter we'll get another one, and another...........

Personally, I don't think Lee has been happy for a while. He needs to be playing week in, week out...I find it unbelievable that a player with the talent that Lee has, can't get into the Bristol City team, or even the squad!

The Sky blog that he's written is the first time that Lee has shown his frustration at not being picked, at least publicly anyway.

He was, and still is, a hero down at Swansea, and it must be hard for him, after the adulation that he experienced down at The Vetch, and at The Liberty, to now be feeling almost as if he's being frozen out. I think that at 32, he needs to either be back in your team, or move on somewhere else where his skills will be appreciated. When Trunds is on song, there is no finer sight in football then him turning a couple of defenders, and placing the ball into the corner of the net. Also, you couldn't wish to meet a nicer guy, he always has time for the fans, and is always willing to sign autographs.

Us City fans love him, He is our modern day Jacki. We know when he is on the bitch there is always the chance of a moment of great individual skill by him that will win us a game. I was somewhat disappointed that he didn't even make the 16 on Sat. Trundle has changed many games by coming off of the bench this season so it was a surprise not to see him make the bench. I would be gutted if he left.

I would like to see a Trundle and Maynard partnership with Noble in midfield. I think the reason Maynard hasn't produced is because of the service he receives. When we play Adebola and John it's easier for our players to just lump it forward to them. If we play players like Noble, Trundle and Maynard playing who are footballing players I think we would see a better style of football played. Johnson realised at the end of last season we needed to play these sort of players and because of that we nearly made it to the premier league. Johnson needs to hurry up and realise that again and quickly.

If we win a game 1 nil but play shit football then great that we have won but I want to be entertained instead of it feeling like a chore by attending.

so is this where it starts then? The best manager we have had in years pushed out because a fans favourite makes comments about being frustrated at not playing?

I travel around the country a lot and everywhere I go the local fans would bite your hand off to get GJ.

We will struggle without him I can assure you, as Joni Mitchell said "don't it always go to show, that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone?"

I am sure you are all hoping that the team lose the next 3 games so you can start to lead the boo's and shout's of Johnson out. Familarity breeds comtempt they say and it looks like they are right in this case.

Somehow I feel that even if we won every game from now until xmas there would be same b***ocks written about, who isn't playing, team spirit, his son etc.

But then I suppose you all can produce a list of Managers who can step in and do a better job, rip the team apart, spend more money we don't have etc........? And of course if that Manager doesn't pick your favourites as well, it doesn't matter we'll get another one, and another...........

No one is doubting that Sir Gary isnt our best manager we have had for years (if you do, your nuts), but this doesnt mean he doesnt make mistakes.....the difference is, there are mistakes....and there are MISTAKES! What I mean is, you have mistakes where you may say "well actually, in hindsight...maybe this would have worked better" or "maybe he should have done that"....then there are MISTAKES......mistakes on team selections that, even before the game kicks off....you know damn well he is making a mistake!

The team selection against Plymouth was a prime example! My god, I got in the ground just before kick off and couldnt believe the midfield he started with....and said as much to my Dad! I manage a poxy weekend team, but even I knew that it was going to go t*ts up! Another MISTAKE is dropping Trundle from the squad....technically, along with Nobes, our most creative player....and he is rotting in the stands, whilst Ivan Sproule sits on the bench!! Trundle, although not a right winger, would do a much more effective job then Sproule!

Trunds looked decent when he came on against Brum, and was fantastic in the Charlton and Plymouth games (Plymouth game was probally the best he has played for us), yet he has one quiet game against Sheffield Utd....and he is dropped all together.

Players like Skuse, Wilson and SPROULE!?!....who are limited in there ability, get chance after chance, yet Trunds has one or two quiet games, and he is gone.

As someone said, Johnson loves his teams to have a "work man" like attitude....which is great, but unfortunately this will only get you so far. Eventually you have to introduce class within this mix, and know how to get the best out of it, if you don't....you will never progress any further then a mid table Championship side

Personally, I don't find City fans clamouring for Trundle to be picked. He has had chances, he has not really delivered, and if you watch the better opposition defences (Hull at Wembley for example), they make sure that he is given no space on his left foot. The comments in this thread seem to be based more on hope than reality. 3/4 years ago, Trundle would have been worth inversting in at this level, but he is now past his peak, and whilst 'he offers something to the squad', not enough to justify his high wages (Nor the excessive transfer fee that we paid). There is a clamour for a creative midfielder, or a proper goalscorer, but we can't bring these players in until we reduce our wage bill. Or maybe we just drastically need to cut our wage bill to stay in business, after all, if we lost £2 million last year, what will this years losses be? And it's not like we have signed a lot of young players who we can sell on for a profit later.

No one is doubting that Sir Gary isnt our best manager we have had for years (if you do, your nuts), but this doesnt mean he doesnt make mistakes.....the difference is, there are mistakes....and there are MISTAKES! What I mean is, you have mistakes where you may say "well actually, in hindsight...maybe this would have worked better" or "maybe he should have done that"....then there are MISTAKES......mistakes on team selections that, even before the game kicks off....you know damn well he is making a mistake!

The team selection against Plymouth was a prime example! My god, I got in the ground just before kick off and couldnt believe the midfield he started with....and said as much to my Dad! I manage a poxy weekend team, but even I knew that it was going to go t*ts up! Another MISTAKE is dropping Trundle from the squad....technically, along with Nobes, our most creative player....and he is rotting in the stands, whilst Ivan Sproule sits on the bench!! Trundle, although not a right winger, would do a much more effective job then Sproule!

Trunds looked decent when he came on against Brum, and was fantastic in the Charlton and Plymouth games (Plymouth game was probally the best he has played for us), yet he has one quiet game against Sheffield Utd....and he is dropped all together.

Players like Skuse, Wilson and SPROULE!?!....who are limited in there ability, get chance after chance, yet Trunds has one or two quiet games, and he is gone.

As someone said, Johnson loves his teams to have a "work man" like attitude....which is great, but unfortunately this will only get you so far. Eventually you have to introduce class within this mix, and know how to get the best out of it, if you don't....you will never progress any further then a mid table Championship side

Good Posting and sums up exactly what I'm thinking.

Fair enough drop him if he's not performing and maybe from the start he hasn't been amazing and at the moment doesn't deserve a starting place, but when you chasing the game (which more often than not we seem to be) I can't think of a better player to bring on, as he has shown in various games, especially when Noble more often than not doesn't get past 70mins, for Trundle not to be on the bench though was nothing short of shocking.

Personally, I don't find City fans clamouring for Trundle to be picked. He has had chances, he has not really delivered, and if you watch the better opposition defences (Hull at Wembley for example), they make sure that he is given no space on his left foot. The comments in this thread seem to be based more on hope than reality. 3/4 years ago, Trundle would have been worth inversting in at this level, but he is now past his peak, and whilst 'he offers something to the squad', not enough to justify his high wages (Nor the excessive transfer fee that we paid). There is a clamour for a creative midfielder, or a proper goalscorer, but we can't bring these players in until we reduce our wage bill. Or maybe we just drastically need to cut our wage bill to stay in business, after all, if we lost £2 million last year, what will this years losses be? And it's not like we have signed a lot of young players who we can sell on for a profit later.

i agree that what we need most is a creative midfielder, however we can't relly do much on that front until Jan, unless we can get another Noble (loan then buy in) which doesn't look likely.

As I've said in previous posting, fair enough Trundle doesn't always deserve to start, but I think most would agree that based on this season, he is worth a place on the bench at the VERY minimum? looking at the games he's come on this season he's turned a number of games around for us and if not changed the result, very much improved the team performance, Plymouth, Brum, Reading as examples.

Considering the other players on the bench for Saturday similar, surely you'd rather have had him on the bench than possibly one of sproule, maynard and John? I know I at the times was shocked by his exclusion and at a number of times during the game would have brought him on if we could off. (the fact that maynard and sproule have been so poor and continue to be involved, and trundle has been good, but isn't involved is just confusing)

Maybe we are looking to move him on for wages sake, but surely if he is playing well in the meantime we need to use him, which will in turn increase the transfer fee.

Don't worry too much. With the ink still wet on a FIVE yes FIVE year contract and sonny in the team GJ is going nowhere. My thoughts are that there is an air of Steve McClaren about him, seems to have lost his way. Lets face it even the happy clappers are strangely muted this week.

I don't think I agree with a single thing in this post.

City fans may not be "clamouring" for Trundle to be picked but they certainly believe he should be in the 16 and they certainly can see what he brings to the team when he gets a chance to play.

Your Hull example of defences is quite a poor one because if I quite rightly remember that was a one off £60 million game, that was decided by a wonder goal and the fact that we had a player concussed (sp?) and eventually players playing out of position. Until Orr's injury I was convinced we would have won that game and we looked better than Hull on most fronts up to that point - including up front.

I don't believe Trundle is past his peak at all. His wages are also just speculation. How do you not know that there arent other players on that kind of money or close to it? Are you the BCFC payroll manager? Also, I'm not sure if its just me, but I don't think the fee we paid for Trundle was excessive for the calibre of player we brought in at the time. I believe we've paid similiar money for a lot worse players.

The clamour for a creative midfield player is the fact that we already have one at the club but he will only start now and again and get subbed after 70 mins, whether he is affecting the game or not. A proper goalscorer? Blimey, we have these in abudance at the club - Adebola, Brooker, Maynard, TRUNDLE, John.

As for reducing the wage bill, which I don't think affects the type of player we bring in the slightest and is not really a factor, how about we get the players who rarely play or who are below standard out the squad first instead of getting rid of one of our best players. I.e Brooker, Skuse, Webster, Sproule.

£2 million is a lot of money to you or me, but I don't think for a second that SL didnt expect these kind of losses and thankfully he is not going to start shipping out players or cutting these wage bills to counteract these losses. He is more forward thinking than that and explains the need for a new stadium and the need to keep bringing the best type of players on managebale wages in order to keep moving forward.

Finally, we have, so say, signed young players who we could potentially sell on in the future. Akinde looks a great prospect and I'm sure that Maynard will turn out to be a positive signing. Thats naming two players who we could easily get our money back on in the future, if only through their "sell on" fees.

The transfer fee paid is nothing to do with Trundle, and, if anything, makes it all the more puzzling that he has never been given an extended chance to cement a place in the team in his preferred position with a strike partner of the style that has proved to suit him elsewhere.

As Dan says above, we not only hope for a winning team, but as City fans we also demand entertainment.

We have in Trundle one of the most skilful players in our division who regularly provides not only moments of magic but end product as well.

People who bought season tickets may well feel short changed that a player they expected to watch regularly after his outstanding appearances at the end of last season is being sidelined for no apparent reason, especially as he lifts the performance, and the fans, each time he appears.

I've no doubt some fans will be outraged to the extent of not renewing their season tickets if the present mystifying exclusion of Trundle leads, as at the moment seems increasingly likely, to his early departure in January.

Thought I might open up a bit of debate! With the Hull game (And others), if you watch carefully, whenever LT got the ball in an attacking position, the defender covered him to the left. It meant that he had more space on his right foot, but that is far less of a threat. With LT, I do enjoy watching him play, and there is no doubt that he has skill, but I don't think that he offers value.

However, what is really concerning me is the financial state that City are getting into. OK, SL is covering losses, but for how much longer, bearing in mind that he also seems to be financing the new Stadium? There is a very nasty recession/ depression Worldwide, and football seems to think that it is immune, but soon it will hit as sponsorship and attendances drop - And it will be difficult to offload high earners as nobody else will be able to afford to take them on.

I see there is not even a place for Trundle in the reserve squad to face Plymouth.......

Don't understand that personally!

Yes that's a concern unless GJ has decided he IS starting on Saturday. Let's hope he is instead of Mcindoe. If he isn't in the 16 Saturday then I fear he will be on his way in January. That will be a terrible waste, but I'm sure plenty of clubs will want him and I am sure he will go on to score goals if they play to his strength's.

It's a crime for his talent not to be gracing a first team each Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!

If Lee Trundle Leaves BCFC in january it will be a disgrace. To let a player of LT's quality leave the club without giving him a long enough run in the First XI is disgusting, whether we paid 1k or 10m for him it matters not.

Face facts. Trundle, regardless of his popularity amongst the fans has been disapointing. He didn't score enough goals last season, couldn't hold down a first team place and in March announced that he was finally fully fit... :noexpression:

No change this season. He simply doesn't effect games enough despite his obvious skills and trickery. He reminds me so much of Jacki who was also loved by the fans but was even more ineffective as Trundle is.

Its a sad reflection on football fans when all a player has to do is perform a few tricks to win them over.

Easy to work out? You are having a laugh. Adebola and Maynard are easy to work out because they are one dimensional.

The most gifted player at City for year's.

Arguably the most creative

We knew his age when we bought him

We knew his playing style

We knew the weekly wages

We knew his goalscoring record over MANY consistent year's

We knew how we would have to play to his strength's to continue his success to benefit our team.

Have Bristol City really continued and got the best out of Lee Trundle? No

Is it still there? Yes

Can the fans see it? Yes

Can the opposition see it when they close him down with two defenders? Yes

No way should Trundle be shipped out. He should be an automatic starter and we should persist for 10-15 games, adapt if we have to and let him create for others and score himself. It will happen!

Someone should start a voting process to have TRundle back in the team!!!

Face facts. Trundle, regardless of his popularity amongst the fans has been disapointing. He didn't score enough goals last season, couldn't hold down a first team place and in March announced that he was finally fully fit... :noexpression:

No change this season. He simply doesn't effect games enough despite his obvious skills and trickery. He reminds me so much of Jacki who was also loved by the fans but was even more ineffective as Trundle is.

Its a sad reflection on football fans when all a player has to do is perform a few tricks to win them over.

Forget the Trundle of 12 months ago, look at the Lee Trundle who finished last season with a run of games, and look at the Lee Trundle who, when given half a chance this season, has looked one of our better and more creative performers

Do you watch the same Lee Trundle who is the most skillfull player at the club and actually has the ability to make things happen - who would you rather have on the left at the moment? I'm 100% convinced Trundle would contribute more than mcindoe especially if he had been given mcindoes run of games.

Well said!

The razmataz that surrounds LT is getting annoying and I for one will be glad when its over TBH. I think GJ frustration is once LT does enough to get himself into the starting 11, he let's him down with his lack of goals. Flashes of brilliance are all well and good on Soccer AM on a Saturday morning, but for me, end product is more important.

No-one knows what is going on behind the scenes except GJ and LT. For fans to question GJ team selection makes me laugh, GJ is a great manager and has been a great servant to date.......but this fascination in LT has to stop as it seems now people are more interested in LT's affairs rather than the interests of the club.

LT seems like a lovely bloke but he hasn't done what we paid a million quid for. I think Lee left it a little to late to make the step up. He enjoyed being a big fish in a little pond without pushing himself to the next level a little earlier in his career.

If Lee is not banging in the goals, what else is he doing on the pitch other than the odd trick here and there :innocent06:

Last year the experts on here were saying that he couldn't play with a Byfield/Enoch style forward and that he needed a big target man type to play off and we subsequently bought Dele. Now I'm reading that he'd be best alongside Maynard as he needs somebody he can feed balls through to.

He might be the nicest bloke in the world, and occasionally his tricks come off, but I think it's time to admit that he doesn't produce the goods regularly enough to warrant a place in the 16.

Easy to work out? You are having a laugh. Adebola and Maynard are easy to work out because they are one dimensional.

The most gifted player at City for year's.

Arguably the most creative

We knew his age when we bought him

We knew his playing style

We knew the weekly wages

We knew his goalscoring record over MANY consistent year's

We knew how we would have to play to his strength's to continue his success to benefit our team.

Have Bristol City really continued and got the best out of Lee Trundle? No

Is it still there? Yes

Can the fans see it? Yes

Can the opposition see it when they close him down with two defenders? Yes

No way should Trundle be shipped out. He should be an automatic starter and we should persist for 10-15 games, adapt if we have to and let him create for others and score himself. It will happen!

Someone should start a voting process to have TRundle back in the team!!!

I agree with everything you say. However, for reasons that only the manager and coaching staff understand, I don't think he will be given a "fair shake". I think its in Trundles interest to enjoy the last of his playing days elsewhere. To be honest, from what I have seen I enjoy watching him for the entertainment value. Although I will always be a city fan I would prefer to watch him play regardless of who he is playing for. I think the petition should be 'Lets move Trundle on for his own sake.". Also, I think its in nobles best interest to move on also.

Do you watch the same Lee Trundle who is the most skillfull player at the club and actually has the ability to make things happen - who would you rather have on the left at the moment? I'm 100% convinced Trundle would contribute more than mcindoe especially if he had been given mcindoes run of games.

He might be the most skilfull player behind Noble at the club but that doesn't automatically warrent a starting place. You need more than a few tricks to effect games consistantly as Johnson says all his players must do.

And.......point out to me what Trundle has actually produced this season (apart from a wonder goal against Brum) that has earned him a starting place. As for him contributing more than McIndoe - your're having a laugh. McIndoe works very hard and covers more ground in one game than Trundle does in three. McIndoe is a good player but his form has dipped recently and that can happen to any player as Elliot would tell you.

Trundle as far as I can tell has shown no consistant form for as long as he's been at City.

He might be the most skilfull player behind Noble at the club but that doesn't automatically warrent a starting place. You need more than a few tricks to effect games consistantly as Johnson says all his players must do.

And.......point out to me what Trundle has actually produced this season (apart from a wonder goal against Brum) that has earned him a starting place. As for him contributing more than McIndoe - your're having a laugh. McIndoe works very hard and covers more ground in one game than Trundle does in three. McIndoe is a good player but his form has dipped recently and that can happen to any player as Elliot would tell you.

Trundle as far as I can tell has shown no consistant form for as long as he's been at City.

Got us back in the game against Plymouth and scored 1 in 3 starts when he was given a short run compare that to all our other strikers?

Simple fact is he has done well in the chances he has been giving then was dumped after the Barnsley game for the game against Reading.

I am fully behind Johnson but I do think he is missing something with Trundle.

Also have you paid the £5 to charity since the Warnock affair in the play offs? You seem to keep missing my posts everytime I ask you.

Archived