IGNORED

Whatever Happened To....

Economou

Did he really cycle from Bristol to every away game ? If so it was a totally amazing feat, especially as I recall one match was Hartlepool away midweek.

Anyone know if the club recognised his achievement in any shape or form ? I think he must have raised a fair bit of money.

Also, is he still around, a member of this forum perhaps ?

Would really like to know more about his rides.

I cycle to every home match :)

Did he really cycle from Bristol to every away game ? If so it was a totally amazing feat, especially as I recall one match was Hartlepool away midweek.

Anyone know if the club recognised his achievement in any shape or form ? I think he must have raised a fair bit of money.

Also, is he still around, a member of this forum perhaps ?

Would really like to know more about his rides.

I cycle to every home match :)

I don't think he was a big City fan at all, just the boyfriend of a City fan who was interested in City, through her, while they were a couple.

The girl used to post on here and from what I remember I'm pretty sure they split up and he had no further interest in BCFC after that.

I don't think he was a big City fan at all, just the boyfriend of a City fan who was interested in City, through her, while they were a couple.

The girl used to post on here and from what I remember I'm pretty sure they split up and he had no further interest in BCFC after that.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up. Bit of a disappointing/sad ending.

His name was Jeremy Boon, and he did it to raise money for something like Breast Cancer. I think his mum was diagnosed with it.

They are friends of the family

Thanks Andy. Shame about the circumstances, I'd assumed he did it for the club.

Must have racked a few miles.

No, he's City through and through as is his father. As I understand it he's only attended one match in the last 3/4 years, and that was Wembley last May. Is disiilusioned with the commercial enterprise that is BCFC rather than the football club.

Seem to remember reading that on one occasion the guy on the bike had fogotten something (might have been a lucky City shirt or something like that) ... anyway, word got around & imagine his g/friends surprise when non other than Steve Lansdown himself turned up on her doorstep to collect the item for him... Steve met the guy at the ground we were playing at & reunited rider with forgotten item..

How many chairmen would do that?...

No, he's City through and through as is his father. As I understand it he's only attended one match in the last 3/4 years, and that was Wembley last May. Is disiilusioned with the commercial enterprise that is BCFC rather than the football club.

Fair enough if that's the case cheese, I'm basing my comments on what I remember reading on here a few years ago.

Just the Wembley final in the last 3-4 years? I wouldn't call that City through and through exactly. :noexpression:

Thanks Andy. Shame about the circumstances, I'd assumed he did it for the club.

Must have racked a few miles.

Its quite odd this has been mentioned as was only talking about this over dinner earlier. His mum won her battle with cancer....but sadly passed away last month.

Him and his dad are very keen City fans

Fair enough if that's the case cheese, I'm basing my comments on what I remember reading on here a few years ago.

Just the Wembley final in the last 3-4 years? I wouldn't call that City through and through exactly. :noexpression:

It happens - I went through most of the 80's with just an occasional glance at the results on a Saturday - most of the players from that period are just names and I doubt if I could name a "team of the eighties".

It happens - I went through most of the 80's with just an occasional glance at the results on a Saturday - most of the players from that period are just names and I doubt if I could name a "team of the eighties".

It looks like I must be an odd one out then.

Never lost interest at all, let alone 3 or 4 seasons or a complete decade.

Peoples' memories are terrible.

Famously red haired red Jer Boon did the cycling for cancer because his mum had it. Terribly keen City fan who set up one of the first funny city websites; his girlfriend (Kat) had her own very odd site called Adibillah Daturfup. I remember funny stories about Dwayne Plummer.

Both much missed contributors.

Famously red haired red Jer Boon did the cycling for cancer because his mum had it. Terribly keen City fan who set up one of the first funny city websites; his girlfriend (Kat) had her own very odd site called Adibillah Daturfup. I remember funny stories about Dwayne Plummer.

Remember this site very well. A slightly surreal and very funny creation of a kind that was common in the early days of the internet - but which seem to have disappeared in recent years, since the web has become saturated with shytness and general low quality. I guess we're all to blame (:

It's the cycling I'm really interested in. Did he really cycle up to 'pool for instance, and how did he get back ? By bike ?

It looks like I must be an odd one out then.

Never lost interest at all, let alone 3 or 4 seasons or a complete decade.

No, I'm sure it doesn't happen to everyone - but it can happen to more than you may think. Anyway, the point I was trying to address is that you can be City through and through but not necessarily attend many games.

Remember this site very well. A slightly surreal and very funny creation of a kind that was common in the early days of the internet - but which seem to have disappeared in recent years, since the web has become saturated with shytness and general low quality. I guess we're all to blame (:

It's being swamped by "you've been framed"-type videos and facebook <lights pipe, leans on mantlepiece> it was far more home-made in the 90s and there was a lot less on the net so there was room and an audience for that type of very individual site.

It's the cycling I'm really interested in. Did he really cycle up to 'pool for instance, and how did he get back ? By bike ?

Yes indeedy. Have another link and picture:

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,1...~447249,00.html

He did cycle to & from Bristol for matches unless as in February that season, he could combine two away games. Example Peterborough away on Satdee 14th and Grimsby away Tuesday 17th. He cycled to P'boro', met Mrs Lansdown at the Posh ground to collect what he had forgotted and stayed here that night. Left on Sunday lunch time and cycled to Boston. Monday onto Skegness as he likes fun fair rides and then to Cleethorpes on the Tuesday. Back to Bristol Wednesday & Thursday.

Earlier in the season City were home on the Saturday and away to Colchester two days later as it was August Bank Holiday. Essex Constab didn't have the necessary manpower for a large crowd and had the game moved to the Tuesday night. That helped Jer as it would be a struggle to cycle Bristol - C'chester in just Sunday and Monday morning.

Thx Tom.

Great diary, sums up life as a cyclist. I like the 8 day 600 mile return trip to Hartlepool entries, especially when he met City fans who'd caught the plane up to Newcastle, guess that wouldn't have included NTTDS.

This was followed two days later by the trip to 'horrible' Grimsby which was rained off.

Best. Post. Ever. :noexpression:

You just made my mum ring up panicking that nasty rumours were being spread about us on the internet!

Jer did indeed cycle to every game and back in the 2003/04 season. Included two trips to Hartlepool (thanks to the play-offs) and two trips to Grimsby (thanks to snow cancelling the first fixture on the morning of the game). He did it for the Breast Cancer Campaign, raised over ten grand for them. He always maintained he was just doing it "for a laugh" and the charity thing was just a nice bonus. Oh, and he was a City fan long before I was.

Jer has since been dragged away from Ashton Gate by the lure of the 5-string banjo. He has now moved into musical theatre, most recently seen sporting a monster moustache and mullet in "Fat Shirley's: A Trailer Park Opera" at the Redgrave Theatre in Clifton.

I hope to get a break in the same line of work, pitching "Buster: The Musical" to various film studios. They seem to be having trouble with the words "Addabillah Daturrfup", seem to think it's not real English. Which, as we all know, is a finnable offence. They should doff up. Not sure who should play Ken The Steward though, I'm thinking someone like Martin Freeman, but Hollywood would probably insist on Brad Pitt or Matt Damon. Pah. Anyway, with Mama Mia doing so well, I'm sure it would be a smash hit.

Jer has been attempting to put his website back up at http://bcfcbybike.wordpress.com - still a work in progress and one he probably won't ever finish despite me trying to make him. His diary writings are too good to be lost forever.

I might do the same with Addabillah Daturffup, I do miss that, a work of (deranged) genius even if I do say so myself. Can't believe anyone actually read that, let alone remembers it now!

Anyone want to play the food game? I've got the raccoon, because I am wearing a black and white jumper.

I might do the same with Addabillah Daturffup, I do miss that, a work of (deranged) genius even if I do say so myself. Can't believe anyone actually read that, let alone remembers it now!

Anyone want to play the food game? I've got the raccoon, because I am wearing a black and white jumper.

Katherine

To the bemusement of my young son, I am punching the air with delight at the memory of your brilliant, unique site. I was stuck in a dull job and an equally dull marriage in the late 1990's and there were some days when only visiting Adabillah Daturffup and discussing sherry drinking with you made the day bearable.

Thank you for bringing back such a happy memory!

Pigbagman.

Best. Post. Ever. :noexpression:

You just made my mum ring up panicking that nasty rumours were being spread about us on the internet!

Jer did indeed cycle to every game and back in the 2003/04 season. Included two trips to Hartlepool (thanks to the play-offs) and two trips to Grimsby (thanks to snow cancelling the first fixture on the morning of the game). He did it for the Breast Cancer Campaign, raised over ten grand for them. He always maintained he was just doing it "for a laugh" and the charity thing was just a nice bonus. Oh, and he was a City fan long before I was.

Jer has since been dragged away from Ashton Gate by the lure of the 5-string banjo. He has now moved into musical theatre, most recently seen sporting a monster moustache and mullet in "Fat Shirley's: A Trailer Park Opera" at the Redgrave Theatre in Clifton.

I hope to get a break in the same line of work, pitching "Buster: The Musical" to various film studios. They seem to be having trouble with the words "Addabillah Daturrfup", seem to think it's not real English. Which, as we all know, is a finnable offence. They should doff up. Not sure who should play Ken The Steward though, I'm thinking someone like Martin Freeman, but Hollywood would probably insist on Brad Pitt or Matt Damon. Pah. Anyway, with Mama Mia doing so well, I'm sure it would be a smash hit.

Jer has been attempting to put his website back up at http://bcfcbybike.wordpress.com - still a work in progress and one he probably won't ever finish despite me trying to make him. His diary writings are too good to be lost forever.

Glad to see you are still together, contrary to the post you refer to !

Did the book of the online diary ever materialise ?

Oh Pigbagman, good to hear from you after all these years. I have just been looking at the few retrievable archives of the site. I am now barely able to contain my laughter looking at the latest news headline - "Ramasut spotted in Cardiff". Why is this so funny? I can barely even remember who Tom Ramasut was, I certainly don't remember ever seeing him in Cardiff, but obviously at the time it was hilarious.

Remember when Matt Hewlett ate a packet of crisps?

Or when Julian Watts failed disastrously to save his house from being demolished?

Or when we all thought Ken was dead, only to be relieved to see him again at the next home game?

And why doesn't George Michael write letters of complaint to the board any more?

Happy days!

Archived