IGNORED

Shaun Barker £400,000

Martyn Hocking

Derby have offered around £400k for Blackpool's Shaun Barker, who was immense at AG a few weeks ago according to BBC website.

Blackpool are not keen to sell (and he has 1 year left on contract - not a free agent as has been suggested on here) so price may be forced up but sounds like he is up for a move.

Would be a real shame to see him go to a club that is no better than City (Derby) just because they are quicker off the mark than we are.

He may, of course be one of the four we have already bid for....

Well_red

He played really well against us but that's only one game.

Thats right, and if Barker had been putting in performances like the one at AG for most of the season he'd be attracting bigger bids than £400k. He's 27 in September so is just about approaching his prime - so maybe the AG performance was a one off.

Would be a real shame to see him go to a club that is no better than City (Derby) just because they are quicker off the mark than we are.

Well_red

Yes he might, or he might not. We had all this last year because of the Managements keenness for secrecy in their negotiations. Surely we should be past the point of assuming that no interest has been shown, just because it hasn't been reported?

I'm guessing hes played well all season as he was the player of the year at Blackpool. He looked dominante at AG, hopefully we are looking to get him in.

Given that we've offered a deal to Iriekpen, and that McCoombe Fontaine and Carey are in Gary's plans for nest year - plus the expected emergence of James Wilson, I would say that it is extremely unlikely that we are looking at Barker.

A shame really because at 400K (or even if it ends up at 600/700K) Barker and Fontaine as a centre pair look to be as good as anything in this division.

He's the one CCC player that looked like he could replace Carey, and give us the height/air power that McCoombe gives us all in one player.

Currently when Carey's out (check the stats) we lose more than when he's playing - and Iriekpen (or McCoombe) doesn't address that in the way that Barker would IMO.

CR

Given that we've offered a deal to Iriekpen, and that McCoombe Fontaine and Carey are in Gary's plans for nest year - plus the expected emergence of James Wilson, I would say that it is extremely unlikely that we are looking at Barker.

He's the one CCC player that looked like he could replace Carey, and give us the height/air power that McCoombe gives us all in one player.

Its clear to see that McCombe is slipping down the pecking down order at AG - largely because of his lack of mobility and distribution I would guess.

Even more reason to be looking at Barker imo.

Its clear to see that McCombe is slipping down the pecking down order at AG - largely because of his lack of mobility and distribution I would guess.

Even more reason to be looking at Barker imo.

Agree about McCoombe and add to that that he will probably struggle with his shin problem again on the hard gounds in pre season - but Johnson's answer to that problem seems to be Iriekpen

I believe Gary sees Iriekpen as a natural replacement for McCoombe in that he's good in the air, effective in both penalty box, scores a few goals, but - importantly - more mobile and better on the deck and even more importantly (for Gary) it's a no risk signing. No fee, not a big wage earner and if he breaks into the team and does well Gary's a genius and if not - well he didn't cost anything.

With 4 centre backs plus Wilson to emerge - I just can't see Gary wanting a 6th centre half given his usual preference for a smaller "group" (of lads).

My preference would be for Barker over Iriekpen but at AG we only seem to want to pay for forwards!

CR

I think there is every chance he is one of the 'bids' that is out there. The pieces fit for me. While Fontaine has been very solid this season in the middle we know he can play at full back, just as, I believe, Barker can/has.

McCombe's stock looks to be falling with the emergence of Iriekpen, indeed the very fact that Izzy is being offered a new deal all but spells the end for Jamie's incredibly prosperous time with the club.

James Wilson would benefit from consistent first team football and it's too soon to thrust him into Championship contention.

Signing Barker makes decent sense to me, the rumoured price lends more weight to the 'pro' column and if he has replicated the form which saw him dominate at Ashton Gate this season, which we assume he has going on his player of the year status, he could be an incredibly astute recruitment.

James Wilson would benefit from consistent first team football and it's too soon to thrust him into Championship contention.

How long do we keep him waiting? From what I heard of his performances at Brentford, he is at least ready to be defensive cover for the first team. The rate we are going, we will soon have an ex-Academy player retiring at 30 after spending an entire career on loan/ in the reserves, as he is 'not quite ready'!

If rumours are to be believed, there have been Premier League Clubs looking at him - It will hardly encourage him to stay or maximise the fee if he is 6th choice behind such modest journeymen as McCoombe, Iriekpen and Barker.

Personally I wouldn be comfortable with him being our first choice cover going into the season. I can only presume, as Iriekpen has been offered a new deal, that Johnson feels the same.

As with Akinde, id send him on a season long loan. But I very much believe in treating youngsters with 'kid gloves' rather than thrusting them into high quality pressure situations after only limited experience in a reasonably lower standard.

Having said that I would look to involve Riberio from the off next season, this is perhaps as much due to the squad needs as it is testament to his undeniable promise.

I was more looking at 4th choice centre-back. It's always a difficult call, knowing when to pick youngsters. Personally, I would prefer that we had a smaller squad of experienced players, supported by the besy of our Academy products. That way, we can concentrate on quality rather than quantity, and give the youngsters an opportunity to develop at City.

Have watched Barkers progress in the papers since he played superbly against us, it was no one off, he seems to be one of the best players on the pitch in every game he,s played. Best defender/midfield player seen down the Gate all season in my opinion, had all our players in his pocket including Dele, and that takes something special!

Have watched Barkers progress in the papers since he played superbly against us, it was no one off, he seems to be one of the best players on the pitch in every game he,s played. Best defender/midfield player seen down the Gate all season in my opinion, had all our players in his pocket including Dele, and that takes something special!

Brilliant player, stood out a mile,him and Lita would be two brilliant siginings and not cost an arm and a leg.

Derby have offered around £400k for Blackpool's Shaun Barker, who was immense at AG a few weeks ago according to BBC website.

Blackpool are not keen to sell (and he has 1 year left on contract - not a free agent as has been suggested on here) so price may be forced up but sounds like he is up for a move.

Well_red

Which Has Now Been Rejected By Derby!.

Which Has Now Been Rejected By Derby!.

and Blackpool to boot :noexpression:

I am not a member of this "Shaun Barker love in"

Yes he did stand out at AG but that was just because of his stupid hair - where was he at Bloomfield in the rain?

(If he played he didnt stand out then)

His price will now increase as Derby have cash and for what its worth I think Derby are worth a bet this year...play offs at least IMO

and Blackpool to boot :noexpression:

I am not a member of this "Shaun Barker love in"

Yes he did stand out at AG but that was just because of his stupid hair - where was he at Bloomfield in the rain?

(If he played he didnt stand out then)

His price will now increase as Derby have cash and for what its worth I think Derby are worth a bet this year...play offs at least IMO

Agree with that. Also have to add in the Hollowhead factor now, would he really sell one of his prize assets to us? I think not somehow.

Archived