IGNORED

Richard Latham

Big Man

I am bored of the Stockhausen comments now. I think he does an O.K job to be fair.

However, I would like to point out that a good read on a Sunday is in the Bristol Independent. I particularly enjoy reading Richard Latham's column about City. He always appears to be frank, honest and balanced. This is extremely rare in journalism.

I am bored of the Stockhausen comments now. I think he does an O.K job to be fair.

However, I would like to point out that a good read on a Sunday is in the Bristol Independent. I particularly enjoy reading Richard Latham's column about City. He always appears to be frank, honest and balanced. This is extremely rare in journalism.

Latham has always written well about City, didn't he take over from Peter Godsiff in the Evil Post.

Has to support the City!

Why do people (not sure if its always you) mention that on here all the time?

Never done anything in your life you're not proud of? Dont see its relevance really.

I think you'll find its mentioned because Bradley Orr's conviction was mentioned when he was punched by a fan - i.e. no relevance to the actual incident.

What, the journalist who has a criminal conviction for drink driving ?

:winner_third_h4h: That's the cutting edge that's been lacking at this football club for years, a lot of journalists and others have taken advantage of this club and its supporters for years. The likes of Andy Stockhausen and his buddies at the Bristol Evening Post have been quite happy to give this club, our players, and our fellow supporters bad press for years and its about time they got a taste of their own medicine.

Lathams views are one-dimensional and unoriginal imo. I used to read his Independent column on Sundays but now rarely bother. He thinks a good manager is one who is media friendly (John Ward) and that teams must have a 'target man' in the CCC. There are countless other examples of his traditional thinking that, frankly no longer inspire me to buy the Independent.

Lathams views are one-dimensional and unoriginal imo. I used to read his Independent column on Sundays but now rarely bother. He thinks a good manager is one who is media friendly (John Ward) and that teams must have a 'target man' in the CCC. There are countless other examples of his traditional thinking that, frankly no longer inspire me to buy the Independent.

Playing with a target man isn't an outdated idea,

you will note that the current England team have that club in their bag.

Playing with a target man isn't an outdated idea,

you will note that the current England team have that club in their bag.

Indeed. But a modern version of a target man, rather than the old type.

If you can get a target man who is mobile and got a bit of pace - then they can still be very effective.

Richard Latham may or may not be a good writer, but for me he has abused his position too much in the past to meddle in affairs at City. He never quite got over the departure of his friend John Ward and seems to have been doing everything in his power to get him reinstated, much to the detriment of the men in charge at the time.

I believe a previous poster may be right in stating that Latham replaced Peter Godsiff at the Post many years ago. He was not only a far better writer than Godsiff (who I believe finished his career as Sports Editor) but is still, in my opinion, the best journalist to have reported on City for the Post in the period from the Godsiff era to the present day. Standards have certainly declined since then, though I do not agree with the more extreme accusations of bias.

Latham was a very level-headed reporter, balanced and sensible in his opinions. I imagine he still is, judging from his occasional appearances on local TV. Whilst I don't buy the Independent and haven't read a column by him for some time, I can think of no reason why his professional standards would have since diminished. He is a freelance writer on sport whose livelihood depends on him maintaining the quality of his journalism, which is what would have landed him his column in the Independent in the first place - unless, of course, you define poor writing as the product of anyone who happens to think differently from you.

As to being "one-dimensional", the absolute insistence by some that the use of a target man is unacceptable and fundamentally wrong-headed, tactically or aesthetically, seems to me to exemplify one-track mindedness better than anything I ever read from Latham. As Angus Deayton might have said on 'Have I Got News For You', the words pot, kettle and black spring to mind. As someone has pointed out, Capello sees nothing wrong with employing that type of player, if he feels the situation requires it, and he doesn't seem to be too bad a tactitian to me. And for those of us old enough to remember, John Atyeo was an orthodox center forward in the days before the term target man was invented: I don't recall many people complaining about him.

I believe a previous poster may be right in stating that Latham replaced Peter Godsiff at the Post many years ago. He was not only a far better writer than Godsiff (who I believe finished his career as Sports Editor) but is still, in my opinion, the best journalist to have reported on City for the Post in the period from the Godsiff era to the present day. Standards have certainly declined since then, though I do not agree with the more extreme accusations of bias.

Latham was a very level-headed reporter, balanced and sensible in his opinions. I imagine he still is, judging from his occasional appearances on local TV. Whilst I don't buy the Independent and haven't read a column by him for some time, I can think of no reason why his professional standards would have since diminished. He is a freelance writer on sport whose livelihood depends on him maintaining the quality of his journalism, which is what would have landed him his column in the Independent in the first place - unless, of course, you define poor writing as the product of anyone who happens to think differently from you.

As to being "one-dimensional", the absolute insistence by some that the use of a target man is unacceptable and fundamentally wrong-headed, tactically or aesthetically, seems to me to exemplify one-track mindedness better than anything I ever read from Latham. As Angus Deayton might have said on 'Have I Got News For You', the words pot, kettle and black spring to mind. As someone has pointed out, Capello sees nothing wrong with employing that type of player, if he feels the situation requires it, and he doesn't seem to be too bad a tactitian to me. And for those of us old enough to remember, John Atyeo was an orthodox center forward in the days before the term target man was invented: I don't recall many people complaining about him.

Nor Paul 'WouldhaveplayedforEngland' Cheesley for that matter!!

I've got to disagree about Godsiff mate.

I liked Latham's work when he was at City and he definitely knew an awful lot about our players from the past. Latham definitely came out of the older school of sports journalists (you remember, men and women that knew about grammar and could string a series of interesting sentences together without being hysterical or sensational)

But in my opinion Godsiff was far more erudite in his contributions. If you have time look at old Evening Post material in the Central Library.

His Headlines following a City match, eg. "ATYEO ANSWERS HIS CRITICS" would be followed by top quality, knowledge based writing justifying an opinion as well as offering accurate reporting on the match.

He was interested in writing about decent football in Bristol, coming from City AND rovers without all this apparent bias and muck-raking.

I've got to disagree about Godsiff mate.

I liked Latham's work when he was at City and he definitely knew an awful lot about our players from the past. Latham definitely came out of the older school of sports journalists (you remember, men and women that knew about grammar and could string a series of interesting sentences together without being hysterical or sensational)

But in my opinion Godsiff was far more erudite in his contributions. If you have time look at old Evening Post material in the Central Library.

His Headlines following a City match, eg. "ATYEO ANSWERS HIS CRITICS" would be followed by top quality, knowledge based writing justifying an opinion as well as offering accurate reporting on the match.

He was interested in writing about decent football in Bristol, coming from City AND rovers without all this apparent bias and muck-raking.

Well, it's all about opinions and I respect yours, even if it does differ from mine. And while I'm about it, may I also say it's a pleasure to be disagreed with in a similarly respectful and courteous way, by someone who can also string a well-written sentence together. We could do with a bit more erudition and good manners on the forum. Fair play to you.

By the way, looking at your details on the panel to the left, it occurs to me to wonder whether the 'Southville' element in your name refers to your present place of residence or where you grew up, or perhaps both. I am originally from Bedminster, and judging from the year you started supporting City, we may be contemporaries, as well as hailing from more or less the same part of town. Maybe that explains why we talk a similar language!

Well, it's all about opinions and I respect yours, even if it does differ from mine. And while I'm about it, may I also say it's a pleasure to be disagreed with in a similarly respectful and courteous way, by someone who can also string a well-written sentence together. We could do with a bit more erudition and good manners on the forum. Fair play to you.

By the way, looking at your details on the panel to the left, it occurs to me to wonder whether the 'Southville' element in your name refers to your present place of residence or where you grew up, or perhaps both. I am originally from Bedminster, and judging from the year you started supporting City, we may be contemporaries, as well as hailing from more or less the same part of town. Maybe that explains why we talk a similar language!

Tried to PM mate but maybe your messenger isn't on.

Brought up on Coronation Road, Southville.

Went to Holy Cross Primary, Windmill Hill, we are exact contemporaries. Where do you drink pre-match?

The big difference between Latham and the huge number of journos employed by the local press since he moved on is very simple, he's from this part of the world and this is his club, therefore he rarely makes the factual errors or barbed comments of others and when he says "Glyn Riley was a fans hero", for instance, he does so from the basis that he was around at the time and so knows it is true.

I think his Ward obsession is/was a bit silly but he's light years better than anyone else who writes on us (bar the peerless David Foot, of course) at present.

As to being "one-dimensional", the absolute insistence by some that the use of a target man is unacceptable and fundamentally wrong-headed, tactically or aesthetically, seems to me to exemplify one-track mindedness better than anything I ever read from Latham.

Thats a bit harsh, Cliff.

I might in your opinion have a 'one-dimesional' view on the advantages/disadvantages of using a target man but that view has been cultured and developed over 40 odd years of firstly playing and then, as age took its toll it watching football. That imo, opinion adds credibilty.

Thats a bit harsh, Cliff.

I might in your opinion have a 'one-dimesional' view on the advantages/disadvantages of using a target man but that view has been cultured and developed over 40 odd years of firstly playing and then, as age took its toll it watching football. That imo, opinion adds credibilty.

I'm sorry if you feel I've been unfair, Robbo. The fact is that I haven't, up until now, posted a single syllable on the vexed issue of the 'target man', so perhaps my accumulated frustration at some of the one-eyed views I've read elsewhere over recent weeks got the better of me. It's not as black and white an issue as it has often been made out to be and one gets a bit impatient after a while with those who seem to see only one side. Nothing personal, mate.

I do respect what you say regarding experience, but the trouble with that argument is that I and, I assume, many others on the forum are a similar age to you, played the game as you did (badly, in my case, but played nevertheless, after a fashion), and have watched pro football for just as long, but have reached different conclusions. I suppose you might say, in that sense, that my crediblilty, such as it is, cancels out your credibility and I would be reluctant myself to claim that it endows my opinions with any superiority over anyone else's.

Anyway, we're too old and sensible to fall out over it, I'm sure.

Tried to PM mate but maybe your messenger isn't on.

Brought up on Coronation Road, Southville.

Went to Holy Cross Primary, Windmill Hill, we are exact contemporaries. Where do you drink pre-match?

Only started posting here a few weeks back and am classed, I see, as a "Newbie". Not sure what that means or whether I am on probation, but maybe that accounts for why you cannot contact me via the site: am I allowed to have this facility at my tender age or do I have to wait until the mods have decided I'm grown up enough? (Actually, I shouldn't be facetious about it. I can well understand why they might want to suss someone out for a while, given the abuses that occur and the current concerns about legalities.) Anyway, the slightly embarrassing truth is I don't yet know how most of the functions on the forum work.

As to our shared history, went to Victoria Park infant and junior schools in St. John's Lane and grew up in Windmill Hill, so we are indeed from a very similar background, at least geographically and probably culturally. Watering hole before games is usually the Rose (of Denmark) but at this early stage of the season it's a bit hit and miss as several of my mates still have school age kids and are away in August.

I assume you come down from London to attend matches?

Richard Latham had a huge misfortune in following Peter Godsiff - whose history of the club "Bristol City - The Complete History of the Club" is worth searching for online if you've never read it...(picture of Hunter challenging in the air with Gerry watching on on the cover).

Godsiff wrote the book in 1979...and signed off with the departure of Gary Collier and Dick's facing his 13th season "on the rack"...and we all know how that turned out.

Richard Latham was the guy whose match reports I was sent at uni and picked up when buying the Evening Post at Paddington in my early days in London...

...he had the duff years....with occasional highlights like the 2-2 home cup draw with West ham and the Freight Rover finals.

I always saw him as a man who knew and loved the club.

And as an exile since the early 80's he was a writer I looked forward to reading.

Only started posting here a few weeks back and am classed, I see, as a "Newbie". Not sure what that means or whether I am on probation, but maybe that accounts for why you cannot contact me via the site

You should be able to send and receive Personal messages. Go to "My controls" , then Messenger and click "compose new message"

Do you know "Red Goblin"

Richard Latham had a huge misfortune in following Peter Godsiff .................

I always saw him as a man who knew and loved the club.

And as an exile since the early 80's he was a writer I looked forward to reading.

Agree absolutely. He was able to see similiarities between players of very different periods in the history of City and as you say obviously loved our club.

You should be able to send and receive Personal messages. Go to "My controls" , then Messenger and click "compose new message"

Do you know "Red Goblin"

Thanks for the advice. At the moment, whenever I try to use any of the functions other than submitting a post, I get the same, recurring error message. I haven't as yet had the motivation or patience to figure it out, since I've not had occasion to want to contact anyone on a personal basis. I'll look into it a bit more when I have time.

Meanwhile, in answer to your question, no, I don't know the identity of Red Goblin, or anyone else on the site. To tell you the truth, so far I've been quite enjoying the anonymity, though that's not to say I necessarily want to preserve it indefinitely. Is RG 'one of us'? With such a large membership, I guess there must be quite a few of us of a certain age from south of the river.

Guest MaloneFM
What, the journalist who has a criminal conviction for drink driving ?

In case no one has answered your question old son I shall do it out of courtesy.

YES HE WAS CAUGHT DRINK DRIVING! Or as the new legal defence term would have it 'moving it'. Whch he won't be doing for another 14 months.

Happy to help!

Archived