IGNORED

Here's A Question For Ya..........

DavidNoble

England or Bristol City?  

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Would you rather England won the world cup or Bristol City got promoted to the premier league?

Asked a few mates of mine and opinion was divided, thought id put it on here to see what you guys think.

:englandsmile4wf:

Sorry I fail to see how the two can be related in this manner. I am Bristol City fan and have been since since birth and I am obviously English. The two are only linked by the same passion for success with the hope a Bristol City player might represent his country soon. This is despite the ludicrous situation that we find our national side in - being managed by a non Englishman.

A post later on in this thread has me speechly - a man of the sheep preference supporting Bristol City, this I cannot understand, is it allowed?

Sorry I fail to see how the two can be related in this manner. I am Bristol City fan and have been since since birth and I am obviously English. The two are only linked by the same passion for success with the hope a Bristol City player might represent his country soon. This is despite the ludicrous situation that we find our national side in - being managed by a non Englishman.

A post later on in this thread has me speechly - a man of the sheep preference supporting Bristol City, this I cannot understand, is it allowed?

I hope you are being sarcastic

Would you rather England won the world cup or Bristol City got promoted to the premier league?

Asked a few mates of mine and opinion was divided, thought id put it on here to see what you guys think.

Unbelievably easy question.

City every time. England mean a lot to me, but nowhere near as much as City. City are everything and England are a pleasing distraction once every two years.

Every day i think about City,our results, players, running different scenarios through my head of how things can improve. This is because i love my club and over the years given alot to them. All i want is succes for my club, England are so far behind in second.

City to the Prem for me. I don't mind if England don't win the world cup I just love watching the world cup watching all the teams play each other if we would ever win except 66 than thats an amazing achievement. But I would much rather City to go up we are doing so well recently but we all know it can turn around quickly especially in the championship.

England

Against the hun in 1990, I have never felt as tense as when we were losing, or pure elation as when Lineker equalised, or as much dispair as when we lost on pens.

For England to beat that and actually lift the world cup, the feeling would be undescribable.

(and the fact that the prospect of city reaching the Premier League has an air of innevitability about it)

Its not a case of city v england. If city fail to get promoted - Then we'll stand a very good chance to go up next season and the season after that and so on.

World cup happens every 4 years and we rarely have such a good group of players AND a such a good manager - the next world cup is a golden chance for england. So england for me.

But if you asked

City to win the prem or England to win world cup. That would be harder

Too many of the England team- forgive me- come across as cosseted prima donnas.

And some of them are but I'd hardly call Rooney, Terry, Lampard and Gerrard 'prima donna's'. They are Englishmen and represent us and because of that I support them.

Winning the World Cup would be simply amazing. It would mean far more to me than City reaching the PL. I saw City in the top flight before but I never saw England play as world champions.

And some of them are but I'd hardly call Rooney, Terry, Lampard and Gerrard 'prima donna's'. They are Englishmen and represent us and because of that I support them.

Winning the World Cup would be simply amazing. It would mean far more to me than City reaching the PL. I saw City in the top flight before but I never saw England play as world champions.

I second this absolutely. I was 19 years old when England won in '66. It was quite unforgettable: one of those moments when everybody can remember decades later where they were at the time, like President Kennedy being assassinated or the World Trade Centre attacks in 2001. (And I'm sorry, but I don't care if the younger members of the forum are sick of hearing about it: in the unlikely event that we do win it next year, you'll know soon enough why Robbo and I are going with the World Cup).

As has been pointed out numerous times already, we will have an opportunity to win promotion to the Prem every year we remain in the CCC. We've already been very close once. With the steady, long-term development of the club under Lansdown, I am pretty sure it will happen at some stage. In nearly fifty years of watching City, I have almost lost count of the number of promotions and relegations I've witnessed. They are on average fairly infrequent (though like buses, you can sometimes wait ages and then two come along at once) and therefore hugely important to we supporters, but they do happen, almost inevitably, sooner or later.

By contrast, I am now 62 and have waited thus far 43 years to see England as World Champions again. It might well never happen again in my lifetime. For those too young to have experienced it, you cannot possibly imagine the intense national interest, excitement and tension as the final approaches, or the sheer euphoria that follows if you win. You will never have known anything remotely like it, and even a City promotion party will pale into insignificance if it should happen. If we win in South Africa next summer, I defy you to look back at this post and tell me I was wrong!

What if the question was what is more likely to happen?? For this season anyway, England.

I'd go for England winning the World Cup every time. It'd be an amazing experience for the whole country: united and delirious for weeks on end. Can you imagine the start of the league season following on from this? It'd be such an anti-climax.

Anyway, I try never to get too excited about England. We've been average/dreadful at every major tournament since France '98, in my opinion.

I think Riaz's point is even better to consider though: us winning the Premier League or England winning the World Cup? I'm sorry, we're never going to win the Premier League!

What if the question was what is more likely to happen?? For this season anyway, England.

I'd go for England winning the World Cup every time. It'd be an amazing experience for the whole country: united and delirious for weeks on end. Can you imagine the start of the league season following on from this? It'd be such an anti-climax.

Anyway, I try never to get too excited about England. We've been average/dreadful at every major tournament since France '98, in my opinion.

I think Riaz's point is even better to consider though: us winning the Premier League or England winning the World Cup? I'm sorry, we're never going to win the Premier League!

If '66 was anything to go by, you might well be wrong about the new domestic season being an anti-climax. What happened then, as far as I can recall, was that the whole country was buzzing and went absolutely football crazy. Nobody could wait for the season to start and attendances went up. The general 'feel-good factor' had to be experienced to be believed. That's why I'd vote for a World Cup win over a City promotion: the game as a whole got a tremendous boost from it.

I'm sure Man City fans thought the same when they we're in league one, but its doesnt sound too ridiculous now?

Things can change quickly. No one knows where we'll be in 20-30 years time - we might be in the champions league or we might be in the conference??

How many who voted for England to win the world cup have been to a England game? I ask that question because before myself attending a England game I would have maybe pumped for England to win teh world cup however going to a England game is a massive passionless let down and doesn't come anywhere near to watching a City game.

Club over country for me every time. Us City fans will not benefit in any way if we were to win the world cup so I fail to see why someone would chose England over a club they spend vast amounts of money on every season in the hope you will see them reach the promised land. For me I'm Bristolian not English.

How many who voted for England to win the world cup have been to a England game? I ask that question because before myself attending a England game I would have maybe pumped for England to win teh world cup however going to a England game is a massive passionless let down and doesn't come anywhere near to watching a City game.

Club over country for me every time. Us City fans will not benefit in any way if we were to win the world cup so I fail to see why someone would chose England over a club they spend vast amounts of money on every season in the hope you will see them reach the promised land. For me I'm Bristolian not English.

Surely, thats the same thing?

Personally I dont support club over country or vice versa. I want both to do well. But dont you think that we are going to get there regardless of whether we do it this season or not?

Have you been to a England away game??

I'm sure Man City fans thought the same when they we're in league one, but its doesnt sound too ridiculous now?

Things can change quickly. No one knows where we'll be in 20-30 years time - we might be in the champions league or we might be in the conference??

Absolutely right - as history testifies. In the late 70s we were in the top division for 4 years. We then went from 1st to 4th in successive seasons, narrowly missed going out of the league altogether, and were only just saved from total extinction by a combination of the sacrifices of the 'Ashton Gate Eight' and a little creative accounting. 25 years later we narrowly lost the play-off final at Wembley that would have put us back in the top flight, which is now completely unrecogniseable from the 1st Division we got relegated from 30 years ago. You couldn't make it up.

Because I'm proud to be English and I'm a patriot. I would never leave England to live anywhere else. England is my homeland.

Bristol City are my club team not my national team but I have room for both. Being Bristolian is the same as being English and if a scouser or a Londoner scored the winning goal in the World Cup Final - do you really think I'd mind?

Because I'm proud to be English and I'm a patriot. I would never leave England to live anywhere else. England is my homeland.

Bristol City are my club team not my national team but I have room for both. Being Bristolian is the same as being English and if a scouser or a Londoner scored the winning goal in the World Cup Final - do you really think I'd mind?

Spot on!!!!

Maybe. I love your optimism, but I'm not holding my breath. Man City were still a bigger club (I know, that phrase is rather meaningless, but I mean in terms of fanbase and population of city, history etc,) in League One than we are now. Even Leeds. I think certain clubs, no matter how badly they are doing, will always have that pull that smaller clubs such as ourselves just cannot compete with.

Foreign ownership and huge investment helps but I'd still much rather have the traditional local chairman set up that we have. Bigger clubs just lose touch with their fanbase and end up pricing out so many people from following their local team. Bristol City is still affordable, just, if you save and prioritise where to spend your money.

Guest AJ Sylvester

Can't call it. I'm amazingly proud of both.

On the one hand City is every day of the year for me but on the other getting to the Prem for a year and dropping back down again wouldn't be as historically significant as England winning the World Cup.

:englandsmile4wf::city:

City to win promotion, obviously.

Am quite surprised at the number of respondants on here who would rather England win the world cup than City reach the premier league.

This question has been debated endlessly on here over the past 10 years, as well as in real life at football and down the pub, and is regularly discussed among supporters of every club.

Among City fans in particular and England fans in general, the answer is invariably and overwhelmingly: club first, country second. Always has been, always will be. Maybe we have a sudden influx of Sky Sports News fans onboard? :huh:

Archived