IGNORED

Taking Young Son To Ag

city_pete

I am thinking of taking my young son (almost 3), do I have to buy a ticket or ok just to take in if he is going to sit on my lap, any one taken someone this age??

I know that an u6 Season Ticket is free (I think that is the age bracket) as I have a fried who takes his young daughter, I would assume the same applies for a match day ticket but probably worth contacting Jayne in the ticket office to double check.

Hope this helps! And hope he enjoys the game!

A single matchday ticket isn't free - it cost me £12 last season for my "first try" with my son. So this year I got him a season ticket thinking that even if he only used it a few times it would be cheaper.

He's just turned 4 and he goes to every game because he loves it so much winner_third_h4h.gif

I am thinking of taking my young son (almost 3), do I have to buy a ticket or ok just to take in if he is going to sit on my lap, any one taken someone this age??

Took my lad when he was 3 1/2 and it was a nightmare. Spent all of my time dealing with him and didn't really have chance to watch the match.

I have not taken him since.

it will be the eastend will that be a problem

Forget it. Took my son when he was four in the EE and he went mental. Not sure if they slapped an age limit now.

His first game was in the Lower Dolman when he was 3 (he's 6 now and a ST holder) and he loved it. Then the rain came and he hated it again. We now sit in the upper Williams by the Police Box and he loves it. Always asks when the next game is, studys the league and memorises the fixtures.

If you want my opinion from someone that has been through it, take him somewhere where he gets a good view, EE isn't a good view. Let him sit as he will want to sit more than stand and possibly on your lap. Point things out to him to keep his attention on the game as well. Take loads of sweets and a drink and take a comic in case he gets bored, that way it won't spoil your enjoyment (if we're winning!). Also, make it a match day experience. Take him for a DIET coke or lemonade and have a pint and something to eat then walk to the ground talking about what the result might be and jee him up a bit.

All this worked for me and he is addicted and like I said, has his own ST.

Good luck and have fun.

MM

Forget it. Took my son when he was four in the EE and he went mental. Not sure if they slapped an age limit now.

His first game was in the Lower Dolman when he was 3 (he's 6 now and a ST holder) and he loved it. Then the rain came and he hated it again. We now sit in the upper Williams by the Police Box and he loves it. Always asks when the next game is, studys the league and memorises the fixtures.

If you want my opinion from someone that has been through it, take him somewhere where he gets a good view, EE isn't a good view. Let him sit as he will want to sit more than stand and possibly on your lap. Point things out to him to keep his attention on the game as well. Take loads of sweets and a drink and take a comic in case he gets bored, that way it won't spoil your enjoyment (if we're winning!). Also, make it a match day experience. Take him for a DIET coke or lemonade and have a pint and something to eat then walk to the ground talking about what the result might be and jee him up a bit.

All this worked for me and he is addicted and like I said, has his own ST.

Good luck and have fun.

MM

I'm not a Dad but i have to say that sounds like great advice! If you had to write a piece on how to take your young child to the footy successfully then this is pretty much perfect. I'll have to remember this for the future!

Wouldn't advise sitting him on your lap if Clarksons playing.

Another wonder goal like Saturdays coming out of the blue will have you leaping to your feet. Tots accidentely sent flying through the air by absent minded dads & landing on the pitch could constitute missile throwing & result in a lifetime ban for you!!

Well we all know its easy done, understandable & could happen to anyone, but I doubt they'd accept it as an excuse.. :whistle2:

I have been reading this with interest. My son is almost 3 and I really want to take him to a match, but I know that it will be a nightmare. I have managed the cinema twice and both times he needed the loo after 5 minutes, despite having just been. I have quite successfully brain-washed him into supporting City even though he doesn't really realise what that means. I might take him to a pre-season game at the start of next season when there is a bit more space and I'm not so worried about missing the game or making people stand up every 5 minutes. I really hope that he comes to the games with me like I have done with my Dad and late Grandad for many years, despite often living over a 100 miles from Bristol (luckily not far away now).

My friend went to the World cup quarter final in South Africa with some friends who had a 7 year old boy. 5 minutes into the game the boy said 'can we go back to the hotel now please'.

I have been reading this with interest. My son is almost 3 and I really want to take him to a match, but I know that it will be a nightmare. I have managed the cinema twice and both times he needed the loo after 5 minutes, despite having just been. I have quite successfully brain-washed him into supporting City even though he doesn't really realise what that means. I might take him to a pre-season game at the start of next season when there is a bit more space and I'm not so worried about missing the game or making people stand up every 5 minutes. I really hope that he comes to the games with me like I have done with my Dad and late Grandad for many years, despite often living over a 100 miles from Bristol (luckily not far away now).

My friend went to the World cup quarter final in South Africa with some friends who had a 7 year old boy. 5 minutes into the game the boy said 'can we go back to the hotel now please'.

I took my 3 yr old last season, but we left at half time. But thats how you start I suppose, they'll eventually get interested.

He was excited before hand and loved telling people after that he went to a city game..... But was bored when he was actually there!

A cautionary tale - I've got a friend who was a home and away City fanatic who couldn't wait to take his young son down the Gate. When he was almost 2 he took him down to our regular place in the East End (open bit on the side) and had him on his shoulders as proud as punch. Everything was fine until City scored and the crowd erupted. The boy was so shocked he immediately burst into tears and was so inconsolable that my friend had to leave the ground and take him home. The boy, who would now be in his early 20's, has never returned to AG, literally put off for life - a huge disappointment to his Dad in that respect.

On the other hand I first took my son down when he was 4, and by that age he had been actively asking to go with me for some time. The comments about keeping supplied with sweets, drinks etc. are all true but the most important thing is that you think he is ready for the realities of the Stadium and the crowds and the fact that alot of City matches aren't actually that much fun!! It's all too easy to take them along too early because YOU want them to go rather than it being something they want to do or will enjoy. As his Dad, you are the best judge.

Deck him out him the colours ( if you haven't already) - mine started off with a City bib as a baby and was well supplied with other City regalia in the early years. Play him BCFC songs from a young age ( Harry is on video dancing around to Shag Connors and the Carrot Crunchers as a 2 year old weighed down with City scarves and hat) to get him used to the noise so that he'll not only feel like one of the crowd but also nothing about the atmosphere will come as too much of an unpleasant surprise.

He'll either love it or hate it - if it's the latter don't push it but leave it completely for a while before trying again. Your hope will be that your son will be accompanying you to AG for many years so waiting an extra few months or so doesn't mean much in the long term.

Fortunately, my son loved it from the off, kept on asking to go, soon had a ST, and has missed very few home matches over the last 14 years - he's a dyed in the wool Bristol City fanatic, just as I had always hoped and very much intended.winner_third_h4h.gifcity.gif

A cautionary tale - I've got a friend who was a home and away City fanatic who couldn't wait to take his young son down the Gate. When he was almost 2 he took him down to our regular place in the East End (open bit on the side) and had him on his shoulders as proud as punch. Everything was fine until City scored and the crowd erupted. The boy was so shocked he immediately burst into tears and was so inconsolable that my friend had to leave the ground and take him home. The boy, who would now be in his early 20's, has never returned to AG, literally put off for life - a huge disappointment to his Dad in that respect.

On the other hand I first took my son down when he was 4, and by that age he had been actively asking to go with me for some time. The comments about keeping supplied with sweets, drinks etc. are all true but the most important thing is that you think he is ready for the realities of the Stadium and the crowds and the fact that alot of City matches aren't actually that much fun!! It's all too easy to take them along too early because YOU want them to go rather than it being something they want to do or will enjoy. As his Dad, you are the best judge.

Deck him out him the colours ( if you haven't already) - mine started off with a City bib as a baby and was well supplied with other City regalia in the early years. Play him BCFC songs from a young age ( Harry is on video dancing around to Shag Connors and the Carrot Crunchers as a 2 year old weighed down with City scarves and hat) to get him used to the noise so that he'll not only feel like one of the crowd but also nothing about the atmosphere will come as too much of an unpleasant surprise.

He'll either love it or hate it - if it's the latter don't push it but leave it completely for a while before trying again. Your hope will be that your son will be accompanying you to AG for many years so waiting an extra few months or so doesn't mean much in the long term.

Fortunately, my son loved it from the off, kept on asking to go, soon had a ST, and has missed very few home matches over the last 14 years - he's a dyed in the wool Bristol City fanatic, just as I had always hoped and very much intended.winner_third_h4h.gifcity.gif

Love it! How to brainwash your boy into a lifetime of misery.... with SOME absolutely amazing days!

Great work... as a new dad to be I'm taking notes ;-)

I took my 4 year old last year to the Newcastle game. I had to pay but already had him as a member, so it was a bit cheaper. I also made it a bit more special by getting steve landsdown to give him his 1st cap. He loved it. When the game ended I asked him if he wanted to go again and he said yes, but next time can I have a burger instead of a hot dog!!!!

I started taking my son to AG when he was about 10 years old. Later he spent a few seasons selling programmes before the game which meant he got in free.

THEN the moment of truth came during what I think was a Carling Cup game v Southampton (who were in the Prem then). During the game I noticed he was not following the action. Afterwards I asked him about this and he fessed up - "Dad, I have only been coming because you wanted me to, I find it really boring". He has not been since.

So I think the moral of that little story is - don't assume your son will necessarily share your passion, but be very happy and grateful if he does.

Guess that was my point earlier.

When I see little 'uns dressed in a full kit, or the shop selling baby grows I start to wonder what as parents we're doing.

Taking our pride and joys along for their benefit or our own?

As I said I took Toby to Bath earlier in the season. We had seats at very front, on the 22 and the sun was shining all day. I had a pint of 6X and Toby had a Kit Kat.

I took him so he might "get" what it was all about. He didn't really and when half time came he thought it was all over.

I'd even bought him a shirt earlier in the season too - £45 that was too.

Anyway if your's is keen to go and enjoys that good luck. My dad took me to what was then the enclosure and I sat between his arms on a box that he balanced on the crash barrier. And many years and £s later I'm delighted that he did.

Then again and after watching a father in the Atyeo over many seasons embarrassing his son and daughter through the language he used I'd think twice and very carefully where I take Toby when he says he wants to go.

I took my sisters youngest to his first game against Norwich this year, took him lower Dolmain, bought a ticket for block M, we watched the first half in there then at the start of second move blocks so were then near the atyeo end where City were attacking. This is possible to do in most games. (Sorry double post)

I've got 2 sons, 4&6, and my eldest is now making noises about going down the gate so me and the old man are taking him down in the coming weeks. I've always thought that if we had gone any earlier then he could have got spooked by the noise and bored by the actual game so to avoid putting him off for life I've waited until now. I'm going to go with a conservative strategy of sitting in the premium seats in the Williams to avoid too much rowdiness to begin with then if he shows enthusiasm start getting him in amongst it. Could be being too precious about it but it is a big deal and could be make of break!!

Wouldn't advise sitting him on your lap if Clarksons playing.

Another wonder goal like Saturdays coming out of the blue will have you leaping to your feet. Tots accidentely sent flying through the air by absent minded dads & landing on the pitch could constitute missile throwing & result in a lifetime ban for you!!

Well we all know its easy done, understandable & could happen to anyone, but I doubt they'd accept it as an excuse.. :whistle2:

Love it.................. :)

My Nippers did not go till they were about 6 and I always paid full price unless it was a quid a kid

And in that time they saw some great games....................... saw us finally promoted but shared the disappointment of the prayoffs at the millenium and wembley

UP THE CITY! .................. As my Dear Old 'Nan Bristol' used to say.......... and now we chant!

Over a hundred years of BCFC here in Dorset!

Like Grandfather (Great Grandfather for my kids), Grandfather (Father to me) , Father (To my kids) and my Nan Bristol (Great Grandmother to my kids)

Cheeky shit, :tongue: I merely offered him my spare under 16 ST.

:rolleyes: Oh deary me Dolls, you should've spelt it out if you meant 'Season Ticket' .... because a lesser gentleman than I might have spotted the under 16 ST & thought you were referring to weight! ... then the cheeky shit might've went on to point it out on a public forum!! :) ...

...soz... :surrender:

When I see little 'uns dressed in a full kit, or the shop selling baby grows I start to wonder what as parents we're doing.

Taking our pride and joys along for their benefit or our own?

As I said I took Toby to Bath earlier in the season. We had seats at very front, on the 22 and the sun was shining all day. I had a pint of 6X and Toby had a Kit Kat.

I took him so he might "get" what it was all about. He didn't really and when half time came he thought it was all over.

I'd even bought him a shirt earlier in the season too - £45 that was too.

As I said earlier you need to judge as a father when the lad is old enough. They've plenty of opportunity to watch DVD's these days to guage the atmosphere at football, and AG in particular, and see if they like it.

You wonder what parents are doing buying baby grows, or in my case, bibs?dunno.gif

Quite simple really, you want them to grow up sharing your passion for the club which in turn creates a common bond between you from that first match and makes the inevitable later fall outs of the teenage years that much easier to get through. You won't always be Toby's hero, one day, not that far off, that grinning 6 year old will be stretched into a snarling teenager and you might find, for a while, that almost the only agreeable conversations between you are centred around the fortunes of the football club you both love.

Then of course there is the ritual of physically following the club, sitting together for a few hours every other week, sharing the highs and lows, both dressed in your Red and White, and both very much on the same side - no arguments there then.

Planning his first away match and being there together when Leroy nets 2 late ones right in front of him to snatch the points at Brentford and him spotting himself going bonkers amongst the City fans on the telly on the Monday. A day he will never forget, and neither will I.

Him crying at Wembley because it hurt so much when we lost to Stoke. The same torment at the the end of the Cardiff play off game at AG when he stayed in his seat at the end of the row in tears and all the City fans, just as disappointed in their own way, patted him on the head and ruffled his hair as they went past, "Don't worry son, we'll do it one day."

Charging on the pitch together from the East End when we beat Hartlepool after spending the afternoon at the BRI getting his newly broken arm plastered but him still determined to make the match. Getting him up at 5.30 to go and queue for four hours for Brighton tickets, the excitement of chatting to fellow fans in the queue, being interviewed live for Radio Bristol, eventually getting those precious tickets, and then the utter despair of your heroes letting you down on the big day.

Not being put off but coming back for more and charging on the pitch together again when we beat Chesterfield and Crystal Palace and holding him up to swing on the crossbar in front of the Atyeo with his face a picture of pure delight.

We do it because Bristol City is a great club to follow, with many superb fans, and great experiences to be had for a youngster - many miserable one's without doubt but also some fantastically memorable one's made all the sweeter for all the grim days of despair and failure.

We do it because we believe supporting Bristol City from an early age is actually life enhancing for our sons, not depressing or somehow something to be avoided, but something we have enjoyed sufficiently in our youth to think they will derive pleasure from it too. Feeling the emotion of it through really caring, not just passively watching like the cinema or museum.

We do it because we will never buy them the strip of a Premier League team and if anyone is to influence their football allegiance it will be us, their Dad's, we won't leave it to some Manchester United/ Chelsea supporting relative who turns up with a shirt. In that respect the sooner they are in a City shirt, allegiance sealed, and all other temptations cast aside, the better.

You appear to be someone who is just as happy to watch Bath Rugby as BCFC and seemingly more minded to buy your son their shirt rather than City's so perhaps you'll never understand the unique passion of football, and Bristol City in particular, or be able to pass it on to your son.

And, without your fatherly guidance, in a few years time he may have his Bath Rugby shirt and his Arsenal shirt ( because they're the current favourites amongst his pals at school) and he'll watch them quietly and dispassionately on the telly while you're doing something else and you and he will never have the shared experience of following your local club together for many years, through thick and thin, or the lasting memories of those times together when he is grown up.

In my experience, and others I know, you'd both be missing out on something quite special, and unifying, as a father and son which it's unlikely you'll find anywhere else.

Do both of you a favour - get young Toby a City shirt and get him down the Gate.city.gif

Archived