IGNORED

What Are People Expectations Next Season

MC RISK77

We should try to keep Cunningham, Maloney & Baldock, the rest I couldn't care less if we sold them for a reasonable price to strengthen in other areas.

Budgets - I hope we get around 1m to spend as we are going to need a fair number of new players. (we'll sell players for more than 1m so it will be affordable)

I disagree Jordan, do you think it's sensible to keep Baldock when he's our highest paid player? I don't think he's been as good as I thought he would be. For me Marvin Elliott should be retained, I think he's been our best player during the 2nd half of the season

I disagree Jordan, do you think it's sensible to keep Baldock when he's our highest paid player? I don't think he's been as good as I thought he would be. For me Marvin Elliott should be retained, I think he's been our best player during the 2nd half of the season

Do you know that for sure? I'd be surprised if he is.

Next season we will be knocking on the door, nothing less. In League One we will be allowed to spend up to 60% of or income based on this years figures, in other words 60% of say 11M turnover. That is far more than most of the others clubs in League One. Lets hope the likes of Wolves stay in the Championship. Not bothered about the Posh, Barnsley, Huddersfield, Blackburn. Hopefully Sheff Utd will get promoted.

Players on contract are on contract and I presume will only go if we allow them to go or transfer list them. I would guess that written into modern contracts is a clause in respect of lower earnings in event of relegation. Crazy if this is not the case.

With that in mind there is no reason why, with the right players recruited in the close season we cannot be a force. I cannot see us doing a Coventry as we do not have the same financial problems and they were near the play offs, with a poor squad, until the points deduction.

We all know there will be coming and goings, and in League One we are an attractive proposition to Lower league players. Once relegation is confirmed it will be interesting to see what SOD does with the team for the last remaining games. But next season we will be a top six side. Keep the faith

Next season we will be knocking on the door, nothing less. In League One we will be allowed to spend up to 60% of or income based on this years figures, in other words 60% of say 11M turnover. That is far more than most of the others clubs in League One. Lets hope the likes of Wolves stay in the Championship. Not bothered about the Posh, Barnsley, Huddersfield, Blackburn. Hopefully Sheff Utd will get promoted.

Players on contract are on contract and I presume will only go if we allow them to go or transfer list them. I would guess that written into modern contracts is a clause in respect of lower earnings in event of relegation. Crazy if this is not the case.

With that in mind there is no reason why, with the right players recruited in the close season we cannot be a force. I cannot see us doing a Coventry as we do not have the same financial problems and they were near the play offs, with a poor squad, until the points deduction.

We all know there will be coming and goings, and in League One we are an attractive proposition to Lower league players. Once relegation is confirmed it will be interesting to see what SOD does with the team for the last remaining games. But next season we will be a top six side. Keep the faith

I thought Championship clubs turnover will be based on the previous years accounts, but League 1 and 2 will be based on projected figures for the year ahead? The Football League rules state 'with clubs providing budgetary information to The League at the beginning of the season that is updated as the campaign progresses.'

If this is true the I can't see our turnover being projected as more that £8M in League 1.

I may be wrong but I thought he was the highest paid player. I mean he did come from West Ham

As I say , I'd be suprised. Del and the board have/did make it clear that we were trying to reduce the wage bill , so bringing in players on top money would make no sense. He may be our top earner once the likes of Stead leave , although I'd imagine he has a relegation wage level in his contract.

Can't believe some of the low expectations for next season, league 1 is absolute liter and no matter what anyone says we WILL have the best squad and we WILL be one of the biggest clubs and we SHOULD at least expect a play off place! if Yeovil, Doncaster can compete then why cant we? why have our fans got such a small time mentality?

Can't believe some of the low expectations for next season, league 1 is absolute liter and no matter what anyone says we WILL have the best squad and we WILL be one of the biggest clubs and we SHOULD at least expect a play off place! if Yeovil, Doncaster can compete then why cant we? why have our fans got such a small time mentality?

It's called experience - you'll have it one day...

I think league 1 merits a small time mentality. I'm not taking anything for granted. How long did it take us to get out of it last time around?

It's called experience - you'll have it one day...

I have plenty, i just wish some of our fans would grow some balls and realize that league 1 is a load of piss, and we should at least hope for a PLAY OFF spot, mid table in that league will be regarded as a bad season by anyone who has an ounce of ambition, regardless of the player turn over. If we can't compete in league 1 we may as well just pack our bags and go home! why should we be any different from the giants that are Yeovil town? makes me laugh!

I think league 1 merits a small time mentality. I'm not taking anything for granted. How long did it take us to get out of it last time around?

Last time round we hadn't just spend six consecutive years in the Championship, we didn't have half the budget or half the squad of today, its a different situation altogether.

I think we'll struggle. Mid to lower half. It's a far tougher league than many give it credit for and I think we'll need time to adjust.

Whilst I don't go along with us being a massive club down there, as a relegated club we probably will find some teams raise their game against us. I think we'll have a mid-table finish next season and hope to at least challenge the play-offs the year after, and if not promoted then hopefully the season after.

Sadly agree. Likely to be a lot of cutbacks and we are in disarray

Hi guys hope everyone is having a decent wkd despite our plight...

I have just been looking at league 1, and if you take out all the teams involved in the play offs and those in relgation zone for now, it does look like a very ordinary league that i believe we would easily be the biggest club in, so my question is what are peoples opinions of what next season might look like, specifically

a) who might we keep and who will/should go: Keep Greg, Maloney, Kelly and the rest I couldn't care about

b) Budgets: Keep it real, keep it tight. Buy well with money from Albert and others

c) challenges in adapting to that level: Less quality pitches, smaller pitches, more physcical.

d) strongest teams: Sheff Utd, Swindle (if still there) and the side that comes down with us and posh

e) will tha manager stay: I ******* hope so

I know its early in the day but looking at that league if we kept the vast majority of our squad then surely we should be around the playoffs.

Be interested to hear peoples thoughts

I expect us to be challenging near the top as we usually do in that league, around the playoff spots probably. Will be tough as we will be a scalp for most small teams in the division. I have been thinking lately maybe relegation is a plan to get rid of the dead wood, start again, wait until we have redeveloped at least the wedlock so we have better income and really go for it?

MY expectations are Promotion!! lansdown needs to support SOD in his attempts to keep players like Cunningham, Maloney, Anderson, Kelly and sammy Baldock. We can then build a successful young side around these boys with our young lads and some shrewd signings joining the party.

Getting rid of all our talent is not the way forward and will unsettle the club even more than it is now... We MUST make a concerted effort to bounce back at the first attempt.

MY GOD US FANS ******* DESERVE IT!!

Last time round we hadn't just spend six consecutive years in the Championship, we didn't have half the budget or half the squad of today, its a different situation altogether.

I doubt we'd have an amazing budget for next season and we will also lose a lot of this squad as well (blessing, I know) which means it depends on who we have left and who we bring. It's not going to be a walk in the park.

MY expectations are Promotion!! lansdown needs to support SOD in his attempts to keep players like Cunningham, Maloney, Anderson, Kelly and sammy Baldock. We can then build a successful young side around these boys with our young lads and some shrewd signings joining the party.

Getting rid of all our talent is not the way forward and will unsettle the club even more than it is now... We MUST make a concerted effort to bounce back at the first attempt.

MY GOD US FANS ******* DESERVE IT!!

My thoughts exactly! if i sense a ounce of ambition from the club then i will respond, as will most fans! however, the thought of 9 years in league 1 again doesn't bare thinking about and is certainly something i don't want to be a part of. (que the, close the door on your way out comment from a smart ass)

I doubt we'd have an amazing budget for next season and we will also lose a lot of this squad as well (blessing, I know) which means it depends on who we have left and who we bring. It's not going to be a walk in the park.

I refer to my previous comment, if we show ambition and actually manage to keep our decent players, Kelly, Baldock, Anderson, Moloney, Cunningham and add some of out exciting youth to it plus getting rid of the O.O.C players and a few more (sale of Adomah etc) then there is no reason why we shouldn't at least expect a play off challenge... of course some of these players may get poached by other Championship clubs, but if that does happen, then i want to see ambition in the signing we make to replace them! We should be a draw for any lower league player so if we scout properly then we should be ok, that and in terms of ticket revenue we should be higher than any other league 1 side, apart from Sheff United if they stay down! we need to get back into the Championship ASAP otherwise i fear a long hard spell in the piss that is league 1 football! there is not much difference between league 1 and league 2 these days and believe me, both divisions make the SLP look like the premier league!

My only expectations are for SOD to put his stamp on the club, start weeding out the dross and has beens and bring in his own players. Patience is required while he rebuilds this club in his philosophy.

sorry, disagree - the fans have been patient since GJ lost the plot around 4 years ago. the time for patience is over. an immediate return to the championship, with a reduced wage bill and a young squad, is not a goal but a crystal clear requirement.

Archived