IGNORED

Is This John Ateyo....

beaverface

It looks like him to me, between Stanley Matthews and Johnny Haynes.

Three great players, takes me back further than I care to think about. Incidentally, note how much older Stan Matthews was, even then.

He played in an England team full of greats... Matthews and Duncan Edwards for example...

Not sure if these have been posted before... Atyeo playing for England footage.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/f-a-international-england-aka-england-4-v-brazil/query/john+atyeo

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/england-v-spain/query/john+atyeo

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/soccer-young-england-whip-italy/query/john+atyeo

And a classic... City v Rovers 1958 40,000 in attendance.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/battle-of-bristol-city-v-rovers/query/john+atyeo

Great man. How supremely fortunate we were to have him at City for so long.

The archive film of those England games he played show that he was ahead of his time, especially in how he moved off the ball and you can see that for a big bloke his touch was brilliant.

Dear, dear , dear

Lets just count our blessings that we still have a football club.

He played in an England team full of greats... Matthews and Duncan Edwards for example...

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/f-a-international-england-aka-england-4-v-brazil/query/john+atyeo

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/soccer-young-england-whip-italy/query/john+atyeo

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/battle-of-bristol-city-v-rovers/query/john+atyeo

Loved that City-Gas tie. Heard about it, though I wasn't there. Meyer, Nicholls and Hooper all came to us eventually and wasn't Josser Watking one of ours?

Love the way they cut to the crowd to miss the first goal, and note how they pronounce Meyer! A touch of the Kolay Skusays there...

Loved that City-Gas tie. Heard about it, though I wasn't there. Meyer, Nicholls and Hooper all came to us eventually and wasn't Josser Watking one of ours?

Love the way they cut to the crowd to miss the first goal, and note how they pronounce Meyer! A touch of the Kolay Skusays there...

Unfortunately it was all before my time...but great nostalgia all the same.

The one thing i did notice was there were fans of both teams in both ends... no segregation.

Like has been said before by others...many fans back then went to watch both City and Rovers. I know my ol' man did, it was normal.

thanks mate.

The city rovers clip sees the great Geoff Bradford scoring the winner for Rovers. The only Bristolian bar Fatty Wedlock to play for England while at a Bristol

Club.

People had a different attitude then to City and Rovers. Bradford and Atyeo were friendly and respectful

The one thing i did notice was there were fans of both teams in both ends... no segregation.

Like has been said before by others...many fans back then went to watch both City and Rovers. I know my ol' man did, it was normal.

I did, but then they didn't charge an arm and a leg to watch :(

I've tried to find footage of every Atyeo England appearance. It's not easy...

This has got to be rare though... radio commentary only though. They were the days...

WOW. Thanks mate. Amazing. Only ever read about this game in the "Hero next Door" biography by Tom Hopgood.

Maybe you can help me with this little poser:

I swear somewhere I heard the commentary on another England game where Atyeo played, where the smart-a*se commentator is saying something like

"Atyeo should never be playing at this level" just as big John smacks one in!

Have I imagined this or did it happen?

Somebody out there help me please.

WOW. Thanks mate. Amazing. Only ever read about this game in the "Hero next Door" biography by Tom Hopgood.

Maybe you can help me with this little poser:

I swear somewhere I heard the commentary on another England game where Atyeo played, where the smart-a*se commentator is saying something like

"Atyeo should never be playing at this level" just as big John smacks one in!

Have I imagined this or did it happen?

Somebody out there help me please.

You're welcome mate... Tbh...i've not heard that commentary before... If i see or hear of anything i'll let you know.

Tommy Taylor, Johnny Haynes, JOHN ATYEO, and Sir Stanley Matthews. Our John playing alongside some of our finest footballers of the time, makes me feel proud.

I think that could also read

Tommy Taylor, Johnny Haynes and Sir Stanley Matthews playing alongside one of the finest footballers of the time, makes me feel proud.

I think that could also read

Tommy Taylor, Johnny Haynes and Sir Stanley Matthews playing alongside one of the finest footballers of the time, makes me feel proud.

I guess I'm in a minority here, having seen Atyeo in his prime. Trust me, he really was that good. Or at least Juventus thought so...

Out of interest, when did segregation first start out? Which ground was the first? I should imagine it was probably Millwall. I read somewhere Bedminster played MIllwall in the late 1800's. The game was abandoned after a violent incident. All I can imagine is that there was a mass brawl!

It is John alright I met him many times at AG where he came regularly after retirement! I remember the big smile he gave me as a six year old asking for his autograph!

Often what is forgotten is John scored the goal (an equalizer) in injury time in Dublin to break Irish hearts and take England to the 1958 World Cup. I have a copy of The Irish Independant framed sent to me by a former editor!

The legend was that The FA did not want to send a semi-pro (John was semi-pro, how many knew that) to a World Cup and as a result John was dropped and didn't care so much about playing for England afterward!

Johnie Watkins was a City left winger and penalty taker went to Rovers via Cardiff City. Josser Watling was Rovers left back for years and years. 18 in total at Rovers. A one club man.

Johnie Watkins was a City left winger and penalty taker went to Rovers via Cardiff City. Josser Watling was Rovers left back for years and years. 18 in total at Rovers. A one club man.

Sorry, you're right. Too much cider has flowed under the bridge since then.

It is John alright I met him many times at AG where he came regularly after retirement! I remember the big smile he gave me as a six year old asking for his autograph!

Often what is forgotten is John scored the goal (an equalizer) in injury time in Dublin to break Irish hearts and take England to the 1958 World Cup. I have a copy of The Irish Independant framed sent to me by a former editor!

The legend was that The FA did not want to send a semi-pro (John was semi-pro, how many knew that) to a World Cup and as a result John was dropped and didn't care so much about playing for England afterward!

Big John spent years studying to become a teacher part time many of them at Redland Teachers College. What a thrill when in the 4th year of the seior school ( called year 10 I now beleive ) he came to my school to do a couple of terms training, but sadly not my class. Same year as me, and in the same school team, was Trevor Tainton who until recently was overtaken by Carey in the number of appearances for City so is now third. Year below us was Ray Cashley.

Out of interest, when did segregation first start out? Which ground was the first? I should imagine it was probably Millwall. I read somewhere Bedminster played MIllwall in the late 1800's. The game was abandoned after a violent incident. All I can imagine is that there was a mass brawl!

I think segregation, as we know it now, was introduced in the '70's (maybe '74) due to a fan being stabbed. Don't know where that was or any other detail.

It is interesting when talking to the older generation and more traditional supporter, especially away from AG on match day, to hear how there just wasn't the animosity pre-70's and people would go and watch whoever was at home.

Think advances in travel convenience and cost had a lot to do with the downturn in fan behaviour, also the hippie movement of the 60's was out and the punks were in.

Only born in 1982 so don't really know, though.

I think segregation, as we know it now, was introduced in the '70's (maybe '74) due to a fan being stabbed. Don't know where that was or any other detail.

It is interesting when talking to the older generation and more traditional supporter, especially away from AG on match day, to hear how there just wasn't the animosity pre-70's and people would go and watch whoever was at home.

Think advances in travel convenience and cost had a lot to do with the downturn in fan behaviour, also the hippie movement of the 60's was out and the punks were in.

Only born in 1982 so don't really know, though.

I can remember in the 60s going to matches before segregation came in. It was great. Just turn up at a ground and stand where you like. If this happened to be in the same area as the most vocal home fans then even better. A bit of banter, good natured or not, but no real risk of any violence. I was only a young teenager then but felt comfortable going to any ground and having a good time.

The 70s and 80s were awful as in this period there was a real danger of serious violence. Not the handbags at 90 paces you get today.

I have to correct myself here. It wasn't Bedminster as I mentioned, sorry for that. Teach me a lesson to look it up first before I make a reply. The actual team was Warmly FC. There was some kind of incident involved with Millwall. The club were banned for 4 homes games and went out of business afterwards. http://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/2049222153/

As this thread is about big John, is there any chance of a flag or surfer flag being made up in honour of this legend?

I can remember in the 60s going to matches before segregation came in. It was great. Just turn up at a ground and stand where you like. If this happened to be in the same area as the most vocal home fans then even better. A bit of banter, good natured or not, but no real risk of any violence. I was only a young teenager then but felt comfortable going to any ground and having a good time.

The 70s and 80s were awful as in this period there was a real danger of serious violence. Not the handbags at 90 paces you get today.

Well I always was caught between enjoying the adrenaline of R*vers away or Cardiff, Millwall etc but also enjoyed being a civilised supporter, casually conversing pre-match with fans of Oldham, Sheffield Wednesday or Torquay.

The few rugby games I've attended, I've enjoyed the chilled out vibe but also love the buzz of a meaty City game. Bit of a paradox, really.

First ever game was 1990 and do feel a regret at not being born earlier for both good reasons and bad.

Archived