IGNORED

Baldock Today

BITW

Baldock's header miss was a big blow but the one on ones weren't as simple as they might have been. Not a good angle and covering defenders made it hard for him to go across the keeper.

Scoring two out of five chances is a normal return for a striker so why people make such a big deal about it is beyond me. I said at the start of the season he'd break 20 - and only two strikers since Taylor have done that for us in the league - and he will.

JET wasn't at his best but I'd make two points. One: He still created a lot - sprung the offside trap for Baldock four times I think and started the move that led to his good chance in the first half. Two: On the two or three prominent times he lost the ball he was carrying it out of defence, with no passing options in front or level with him, and being challenged by two or three opponents together.

To be honest I think some people watch too much Premier League. You can't expect a striker to score every chance and when they've got 33 goals between them just over half way through the season complaining about either of them is complete nonsense.

Voice of reason as always Nibor....

He ran his socks off today and got just reward with his 2 goals.......and that is the 3rd 90 mins he has worked like that in the last 8 days......others have played 3 hard games as well granted but the way we play with 5 across the back means he has to work harder than he ever had to with a big guy alongside him up front....

A lot of spoilt brats moaning about a striker who has "only" scored 2 goals today ......unbelievable could only happen here

We should be grateful we have him likewise some supporters should be grateful to support BCFC because sometimes they really dont deserve to ,,,

Maybe so but he scored just 20 times in nearly 80 games. If Baldock isn't driven out by the time he's played 80 games for us he could be on 30-35

I don't know how often he starts for Bournemouth but he's on 5 in 24 this season. So still VERY strange for people to be lamenting him as the one who got away when our only out and out striker who starts games is considerably more prolific.

Less clinical perhaps, but still by far the more prolific striker.

I don't know how much Pitman starts for Bournemouth either...

...maybe you are right.

I do know that I wish we'd had Pitman on the bench today.

I'm not sure about Pitman he always came across a bit lazy for me, A bit like JET, Maynard was the best quick intelligent and natural finisher I've seen at the gate

Pitman and Davies close to him, If Davies didn't get injured as much as he did he would of got loads of goals this season with the service Baldock has got

Both his penalties went straight down the middle, rare that he puts them into a corner

He's taken more than two in his career hasn't he? And the two you mention, they went in, yes? Guessing you'd have no issues with any of these one on ones going straight down the middle, if they'd been the right play at the time and he's scored?

Serious question - for those writing him off, given the chances he has certainly had, how many goals do you believe he should have had at this stage of the season, for you to have been happy with his finishing ratio?

I've seen some experts mentioning 30 :laugh:

He gets in the positions better than any striker we've had... Just can't finish, either some confidence or pressure from another striker is needed to get the best out of him. Can't believe we are moaning about a striker that has got 15 goals this season. We would of killed of that last year! 33 goals between our 2 strikers yet we sit in the relegation zone... Perhaps poor goalkeeping and defending and not Baldock missing sitters is the problem.

Who else thought after all those chances after 5 mins that MKD would be the first to score? I did, just how city have made me feel nowadays. We could be 5-0 up with 20 seconds left and I still wouldn't be convinced we would win!

He may have scored 2 from 5 today but had of scored the two earlier one, we might have had an easier game at 2-0 up. Instead we spent the rest of the game trying to get it back.

yeah and then we may have sat back and let them come back,,,I wonder who we would be blaming then?

My thoughts are he's one of the highest scorers in League One and the joint highest in our team, and on course for 20-25 league goals.

Why does no one talk about the number of missed tackles that Flint makes? Or the number of times JET tries to take on 8 players and loses possession?

Ultimately, a striker is measured on goals scored, and for him to be on course for that total when we've been propping up the league all season makes it beyond belief that every game ends in a thread bemoaning a "wasteful" striker.

Your tongue is still firmly wedged up Baldocks arse......

The comparison your making to Pittman is one of a desperate man.....the fact Pittman made so many appearances off the bench combined in a team that created NOTHING in the division ABOVE just confirms just how clueless you are.

They shouldn't be compared, but personally would much prefer Brett at this level than baldock.

He gets in the positions better than any striker we've had... Just can't finish, either some confidence or pressure from another striker is needed to get the best out of him. Can't believe we are moaning about a striker that has got 15 goals this season. We would of killed of that last year!

At this point last season he had one league goal fewer than he had before today, but sure.

I know Baldy missed several easy chances in the first half but, after scoring his first goal with a magnificent finish, did he really deserve to be booed by a number of fans in the Ateyo ? How the hell is that going to achieve anything ? Would anyone who booed like to step forward and have the balls to explain their actions please ?     

He set up Baldocks chances for **** sake!!!!!

Anyone who would sell JET over Baldock needs their head tested. Running around isn't a skill. JET = most talented player we've had in years and years.

Don't think anyone denies JET is talented, he also very lazy defending. Watford on Tuesday we were defending as a team of 10, he did NOTHING defensively.

I can understand why Baldock is getting stick but at the same time he HAS rescued us a point today. If he finished every chance he got he wouldn't be in a relegation scrap in League 1. Whose to say if he'd scored the first one, he wouldn't have been marked tighter / given more attention and had the rest of his chances stifled?! Who knows, the whole dynamic of the game changes.

What we do know is 1 player doesn't cost us a game. Yes he's missed chances but if he scores in the first half and we don't concede we win? It's the defense that needs to be looked at!

At least SC is aware and plans to work on his finishing in training. Let's keep our fingers crossed and remember, we've got two very capable strikers and a team creating plenty of chances.

I know Baldy missed several easy chances in the first half but, after scoring his first goal with a magnificent finish, did he really deserve to be booed by a number of fans in the Ateyo ? How the hell is that going to achieve anything ? Would anyone who booed like to step forward and have the balls to explain their actions please ?

Was he really booed? Didn't hear from the Dolman but that's bad if true.

Where was this I was in the E block and never heard any booing. Hands up I was calling him a uesless c### when he missed that header.

Let's be honest, JET's miss (Gaping goal and hits the 1 defender between him and the goal, 18 yards out with time and on his left foot) was almost as bad as Baldocks header.

The problem today and for a lot of this season, is not just his misses but the timing of them. If he misses them when it doesn't matter (2-0 up) then nobody cares or remembers but the trouble is, they always seem to be when it matters. 

Fair play to the bloke, so many players would have gone hiding in the second half but he kept going and kept getting in the right positions.

Amazing that there's a thread slagging off Baldock, and nothing about how utterly useless JET was. We may as well have played with 10 men until Burns and Barnett came on.

Perhaps if every other game SB didn't have to do the work of two people he'd get more. He worked his socks off in the second half, and Barnett did more in 30 seconds than JET did today.

Baldock clearly lacks a bit of confidence in the one on one situation, but he still got two goals which salvaged us a point today. I couldn't believe the two chumps behind me who booed him off at half time. Embarassing.

Funny how Baldock is lamented for his lack of putting chances away, and what's he on now? 15 or something? Well on course for 20+.

If we didn't concede so many, we'd be top half. The goals we conceded today were so soft, and that's why we dropped 2 points today.

A lot of sympathy for the above.

Maybe but it would have given us a better chance if winning.

agreed ,,,  but surely we should be saying well done for pulling your socks up and notching a brace to rescue a point ....?

He got 14 now and will end with 20+ unless you think he isnt good enough to get 6 more in the remaining 21 games in fact IF (big IF ) he repeats what he has done in first half of season then he will be closer to 30!.......and its a long time since we had a player close to that number (one amazing Murray season excepted)

• Admin

Unfortunately the O/S appears to only count shots on target of which Baldock has had 38. His main problem seems to be hitting the ball straight to the keeper when one-on-one but it's likely he has missed as many shots off target as he has hit shots on target. That would give a figure of 76 shots which is roughly a goal every 5 shots.

Today he bettered this with 2 in 5, which people are claiming isn't good enough. Maybe he should try and score with 3 in every 5 shots? This would have him on 42 goals before the end of January.

Remember Andy Cole used to be criticised for only scoring 1 in 7 chances. Around 1 in 5 is the normal rate for a decent striker at whatever level you are playing. Anything better than that is exceptional.

Unfortunately the O/S appears to only count shots on target of which Baldock has had 38. His main problem seems to be hitting the ball straight to the keeper when one-on-one but it's likely he has missed as many shots off target as he has hit shots on target. That would give a figure of 76 shots which is roughly a goal every 5 shots.

Today he bettered this with 2 in 5, which people are claiming isn't good enough. Maybe he should try and score with 3 in every 5 shots? This would have him on 42 goals before the end of January.

Remember Andy Cole used to be criticised for only scoring 1 in 7 chances. Around 1 in 5 is the normal rate for a decent striker at whatever level you are playing. Anything better than that is exceptional.

I'm not having a go at him for his goal ratio what IU'm saying is he scores those goals to put us 2-0 up intead of making 2-2 we have more chance of getting 3 points.

Your tongue is still firmly wedged up Baldocks arse......

The comparison your making to Pittman is one of a desperate man.....the fact Pittman made so many appearances off the bench combined in a team that created NOTHING in the division ABOVE just confirms just how clueless you are.

They shouldn't be compared, but personally would much prefer Brett at this level than baldock.

Baldock's goal to appearance ratio is considerably better than Pitmans, and he's the 6th highest scorer in the league. If that's a wasteful striker then I'm glad we have one.

Fact is we don't have Pitman, so move on. There is absolutely no evidence of any kind to suggest he would be on more than 12 goals this season, might as well speculate on how many assists Ozil would have for all the good it will do.

There's a reason Baldock's played basically every game we've played. We don't have anyone who will put the ball in the back of the net as much as he will, so maybe people should try supporting rather than constantly picking fault.

Good to see I still can't make a post without you having a personal dig though. The hallmark of intelligence.

agreed ,,,  but surely we should be saying well done for pulling your socks up and notching a brace to rescue a point ....?

He got 14 now and will end with 20+ unless you think he isnt good enough to get 6 more in the remaining 21 games in fact IF (big IF ) he repeats what he has done in first half of season then he will be closer to 30!.......and its a long time since we had a player close to that number (one amazing Murray season excepted)

He will get 20 no doubt and is a good striker at this level. Just wish he could convert a few more one on one's.

Fair play to the manager I would have taken Baldock of at half time but he stuck with it then he got 2 but if he could finish better we should have been 3 0 up before they had scored and we would have won easy then . Gillette had a good game Reid looked tired Cunningham very good oh great save from parish to

Archived