IGNORED

Game Management

The Journalist

Is this the one major area which we need to improve upon in order to win this league?

After yesterday's match Steve Cotterill said "we managed the first half better than we've managed any other game", adding that we "played clever". Yet, as we've seen already this season, and sometimes to our cost, we do have a tendency to step off it, lose our intensity and tempo, and sit in and accept what we've got. As in every game since the 3-0 demolition of Port Vale a month ago, we again did this against Coventry.

Now, our work ethic, confidence and quality has far more often than not seen us through these sticky patches - but what do we need to do to ensure we manage situations better so teams are kept at arms' length?

Of course, you have to accept that other sides have good players and will have spells in games where they put you under pressure, but given we've led in 12 of our 13 matches yet rarely really killed games off suggests this is an area that can be improved.

So, can we keep the ball better at times? I definitely think so, and wonder if when we've got ourselves ahead in a match without being at our flowing best we should drop Freeman - in my opinion, our best player - a little deeper to help us rotate and recycle possession a bit better. If you need to get on the ball, don't isolate your best ball player, get him on it. Perhaps being a bit more open to using Pack off the bench earlier in games would help us keep more control too.

It's not rocket science that if you have the ball the other team can't score, and from what I've seen the goals we've conceded have been more due to surrendering control than not being up to it defensively. If anything, Flint, Ayling and Williams have been among our best performers.

I've also felt, at times, the lack of a channel runner in our squad has been exposed and why we've often persisted with Agard and Wilbraham longer in matches than we might've done. Can Burns be this player? I don't see why not, but running from in to out is not something that's really part of his game at the moment.

Sometimes, when the opposition press you in midfield, you do need to play percentage football and fresh legs running beyond the centre-half and full-back can get you up the pitch more quickly. I thought at Walsall we got stuck in our half after the break and lacked that out ball. Not for the first time, by the way.

Either way, Cotterill's comments yesterday suggest he is fully aware we could manage games better sometimes, and that our relatively young side are now reading things better too.

I just wonder whether more flexibility, in both tweaking our shape and using our bench, during games will see us win with even more ease than we're doing already.

Nice 'problem', if you can call it that, to talk about though! I can't see much else wrong with what we're doing on the pitch...

Burns is not the player to bring on if you are defending a lead.  His decision making is awful at times and he rarely "keeps hold of the ball".  I'd bring him on if we are just a single goal better off or chasing the game as his pace will frighten the opposition.

JET is the player to defend a lead.  He rarely (ever?) gives the ball away and defenders tend to just bounce off him.

The one criticism of Cotterill this season is that he makes very late substitutions (typically Wagstaff for Freeman in the 85th minute).  I'd like to see more variety from Cotterill.  If he wants "us" to manage the game better he should look to himself first.

So many games have been crying out for JET only for him to come on for less than five minutes or even not at all. If we have a lead late on, the opposition are more often than not going to comitting men forward. JET's dribbling ability, passing ability and capable long distance shooting is a nightmare for a tired defences and he is just the sort of player they don't want to come up against in that situation, a nightmare, especially when there are gaps in defence from those committing men forward.

It's so evident and I'm surprised Cotterill doesn't see it. Yesterday he comes on within the 87th minute and gets an assist within minutes. It's not a radical change but bringing JET on at around the 65/70th mark if we're sitting too deep instead of the usual 85th-90th time period would really benefit the side, imo.

I didn't mention JET because, simply put, I don't think he's a player that, as a manager, you can rely upon.

That said, Cotterill has used him so sparingly and in such small doses that it's really not done the player any favours either. He's never been, and never will be, someone you can throw on with 5 minutes to go knowing exactly what you'll get from him.

Perhaps using him earlier in games, when we're still comfortable and not under the cosh, will give him a far better opportunity to get on the ball and make sure the game is played on his terms, as the Cheltenham tie was.

It's a tough one though because as majestic as JET can be - and he really can be superb, we all know that - he can also lack concentration, lack effort and let everything pass him by.

??????. Yes but only when he wants to. He loses the ball more than others because at times he insists on playing "one man team and it's my ball anyway"

Didn't see any of that against Cheltenham, where his assists and smart turn over of the ball were a big part of the performance.

And his smart lay off to Elliot in the lead up to the winner versus Chesterfield, not to mention his run and assist yesterday seemed pretty unselfish and show him working for the team.

But I guess everyone sees the game differently.

For all his pros, it's of my belief that Cotts allows too many games to float along at the status quo. Take yesterday; We had a decent spell around the 54th minute applause. We didn't get a goal out of it, and the next twenty minutes we seemed to just stop having a purpose, hoping that Coventry would accept their fate.

All of a sudden, they score. We've suddenly got work to do, and we did it quite comfortably to be fair.

He needs to be brought on sooner with out a doubt.  We are doing excellent.  But i still feel he is one of the most skillful players i have ever seen at Aston gate.  He is sat rotting away on the bench.  Yep he has his faults as others have pointed out.  But the skills he has are not in question.  I feel its more to do with the fact that he is not fitting into SC's system. Would like to see him play in the Freeman role. But then i would not pick him over freeman.  He role is best used as an attacking midfeilder.  Would be happy to see us go one up top for 25 minutes at the end of the game.  Be good to save wilbs legs. 

I personally think that if jet had been brought on earlier against cov then it could have been 4 or 5 as their defense looked a bit dodgey and tired

Back on topic i think the op has made a good point and maybe cotts need to do more "game management" with his subs, but equally there was something i saw on another thread, about it taking players time to get up to speed with a game when they come on

this 'game management' certain seems to he the buzz word in the media these days.

It does indeed together with statistics now recorded for "pass completion", "assists" and even "number of touches". The game moves on.

"Game management" appears to me to relate to how a team can preserve its lead (or hold onto its draw) and remain in control without expending maximum energy for 90 minutes.

The approach to game management of Southampton v Sunderland on Saturday appeared to be: score another. Now it could be argued that Sunderland were so shockingly bad that Saints couldn't help but score but at no time did they sit back and think: "five's enough" - they kept looking for another goal.

If we are guilty of one failing this season (and I'm being picky) it's our failing to really kill off the game by extending our lead beyond the reach of the opposition; we have a tendency to sit on a lead rather than extend it. Of course, I'm ecstatic with the almost customary 3 goals which we seem to score but I do feel that from time to time we could have continued to have scored again ... and again ... but have instead chosen to sit back somewhat in "managing the game".

Perhaps we're managing games perfectly because we're winning, suffering very few injuries and thus keeping an extremely settled side but I do wonder whether we could take advantage more of our opposition when our foot is on their throat?

I thought around the 60th minute mark was a perfect time to swap Little for Wagstaf, Bryan for Cunningham and Agard for Burns all willing runners and all like for like. It seemed to me that they all tired and Coventry were getting on top because of that. Maybe with earlier subs it would have been 0-4 instead of 1-3.

On a side note how nice is it to be finding faults in 3-1 wins.  

It does indeed together with statistics now recorded for "pass completion", "assists" and even "number of touches". The game moves on.

"Game management" appears to me to relate to how a team can preserve its lead (or hold onto its draw) and remain in control without expending maximum energy for 90 minutes.

The approach to game management of Southampton v Sunderland on Saturday appeared to be: score another. Now it could be argued that Sunderland were so shockingly bad that Saints couldn't help but score but at no time did they sit back and think: "five's enough" - they kept looking for another goal.

If we are guilty of one failing this season (and I'm being picky) it's our failing to really kill off the game by extending our lead beyond the reach of the opposition; we have a tendency to sit on a lead rather than extend it. Of course, I'm ecstatic with the almost customary 3 goals which we seem to score but I do feel that from time to time we could have continued to have scored again ... and again ... but have instead chosen to sit back somewhat in "managing the game".

Perhaps we're managing games perfectly because we're winning, suffering very few injuries and thus keeping an extremely settled side but I do wonder whether we could take advantage more of our opposition when our foot is on their throat?

I guess people interpret different phrases in different ways, but I wouldn't refer to "game management" as a defensive ploy, or a tactic that connotes "hanging on" to what you've got.

I've only really talked about tweaking shape or personnel with the game in progress to improve ball retention or, if the pitch/weather/other team don't allow it, getting your team up the field and playing more of the football in the opposition's half.

Whether you take the first or second option, both will improve your chances of increasing your lead.

So many games have been crying out for JET only for him to come on for less than five minutes or even not at all. If we have a lead late on, the opposition are more often than not going to comitting men forward. JET's dribbling ability, passing ability and capable long distance shooting is a nightmare for a tired defences and he is just the sort of player they don't want to come up against in that situation, a nightmare, especially when there are gaps in defence from those committing men forward.

It's so evident and I'm surprised Cotterill doesn't see it. Yesterday he comes on within the 87th minute and gets an assist within minutes. It's not a radical change but bringing JET on at around the 65/70th mark if we're sitting too deep instead of the usual 85th-90th time period would really benefit the side, imo.

Agree 100%. The only thing I can knock SC on is substitutions, there are times listening to the game, when you can tell that we need a spark, a lift, fresh pair of legs - call it what you will. Subs always seem to be late, but also they've still paid off, JET at Notts C, JET & Waggy on Saturday

Read somewhere once that you're better off being a lucky manager, than a good one. Luck will run out one day

Wow - 20 odd games unbeaten and I'm picking at SC. How we've been spoilt

I can understand that to an extent, but how long did it take Wagstaff to score, or Cunningham a few games ago (Wagstaff always seems to get a chance very quickly after coming on). How long did it take for JET to make an impact before setting up a goal ?

Players have to be ready regardless of the time they come onto the pitch, but I do agree that giving JET more game time will definitely be to our advantage.

I agree with what youre saying, the whole getting up to speed thing is odd, as it is certainly true some times (how often have we seen a player miss a chance just after coming on, throughout the leagues) but other times the players just seem to be up to speed already. I dont think its something that can be predicted or what can affect it but it would be interesting to find out what can affect it

Don't remember so many calls for JET's earlier inclusion when he came on against MK Dons and gave the ball away with pretty much every touch. Yes he's a gifted player, no he's not someone to rely on when defending a lead.

Yes that was a horrendous performance, even in a 3 minute cameo. 

Don't remember so many calls for JET's earlier inclusion when he came on against MK Dons and gave the ball away with pretty much every touch. Yes he's a gifted player, no he's not someone to rely on when defending a lead.

I wasn't at the game so can't comment, but the calls for JET being brought on isn't to 'defend' the lead, it's to help us counter-attack and further increase the lead that we hold, instead of sitting deeper and deeper until we eventually concede anyway, as has happened a fair amount of times already this season.

I wasn't at the game so can't comment, but the calls for JET being brought on isn't to 'defend' the lead, it's to help us counter-attack and further increase the lead that we hold, instead of sitting deeper and deeper until we eventually concede anyway, as has happened a fair amount of times already this season.

So, don't comment?

Home to MK Dons he got the ball on the break after their corner and managed to run straight into the nearest defender after trying some fancy trick, leading to another attack minus JET to help defend it. That's what the other poster meant. 

So, don't comment?

Home to MK Dons he got the ball on the break after their corner and managed to run straight into the nearest defender after trying some fancy trick, leading to another attack minus JET to help defend it. That's what the other poster meant. 

I'm not commenting on the MK Dons game specifically, I'm commenting on the games I've seen that have needed JET.

I'm not commenting on the MK Dons game specifically, I'm commenting on the games I've seen that have needed JET.

But the point remains, running off to try a counter attack (as you're condoning) can often lead to losing the ball if he tries to do it all himself. 

Strangely, though I think it's an important issue, my conclusion is almost the exact opposite of the OP.  I think the improvement in our 'game management' has been a major difference between this season and last.  Thinking back to the first 10-12 games last season, I was frustrated because I felt we were playing well and, for some reason, not getting our just deserts.  This year, we've scored more soft and 'scrappy' goals, the opposition have made more costly mistakes than we have, often when we've been pegged back we've recovered and stepped up again, we are more likely to score a late goal than concede one.  Now, there are lots of factors that feed into these things, confidence, consistency, talent ... but the ability to manage the game, at all it's different stages, is key and, by and large, we've done it well, and it's the reason why we are where we are.  

Archived