IGNORED

The Official Barnsley V Bristol City Match Day Thread.

"I said in another thread how the last 3 seasons the automatic promotion teams did not draw more than 11 games (Wolves 10, Brentford 10, Doncaster Rovers 9, Bournemouth 11, Charlton 11, Sheffield Wednesday 9) whilst we're already at 6."

Ummm...

Last season Peterborough drew 5 games and came 6th in the table and they are still in this league. Maybe looking at wins, draws and losses would be a better way of making predictions?

Dare I say that the '2 points average' a game is the best promotion predictor around, and draws, wins and losses all contribute to that average. Basing our position on draws alone is like closing your eyes in darts and trying to get 180.

At the  end of the seasons the two teams with more points than the rest will be automatically promoted - it doesn't matter how they get those points.

IF Preston win their two game in hand they go above us, but if they don't they won't.

We will have a slump at some point and other teams will hit a run of form. Our start to the season has been excellent - far better than every City fan would have expected - and has given us a tremendous chance to be in the mix at the sharp end of the season, but promotion isn't won by December, but for some teams it will be lost by then, so our games in the next month will have a big bearing on our chances come next May.

I keep hearing about the weaknesses that we still have, but I guess most other league 1 managers would happily swap their weaknesses for ours at the moment!

You think he's a leader? I'm not so sure, I don't see him controlling the defence the way we need it controlled. Big and strong he is, a leader, I'm not so sure.

Big and strong he certainly is but there's alot more to Flint's game than that.

He's a really positive presence on the pitch, is extremely domonstrative, and cajoles his fellow defenders to greater efforts as much as any City centre back I've ever seen.

He leads by example, never going in for any tackle or aeriel challenge at less than 100%, and takes every goal City conceded like a personal insult.

Don't underplay his effect on Fielding's renewed confidence either, both by his gargantuan efforts to defend, and also the many times he goes over to have an encouraging word with him.

Most definitely a leader.

Big and strong he certainly is but there's alot more to Flint's game than that.

He's a really positive presence on the pitch, is extremely domonstrative, and cajoles his fellow defenders to greater efforts as much as any City centre back I've ever seen.

He leads by example, never going in for any tackle or aeriel challenge at less than 100%, and takes every goal City conceded like a personal insult.

Don't underplay his effect on Fielding's renewed confidence either, both by his gargantuan efforts to defend, and also the many times he goes over to have an encouraging word with him.

Most definitely a leader.

Oh I value him, but I still think we need a natural leader, someone who will shout and command where people should be etc

I do think Flint could be that man in the future but right now we need that leadership.

You think he's a leader? I'm not so sure, I don't see him controlling the defence the way we need it controlled. Big and strong he is, a leader, I'm not so sure.

'Big and strong he is' - so we agree.

Always shouting (positively) encouraging? at his defence and colleagues in general and protecting his goalkeeper. Sounds like the leader i should have liked when I played.

I would be concerned that in trying to shore up the defence we sacrifice our ability to attack, I've seen that happen before. I don't agree that additional defenders are necessarily the answer, although Fielding doesn't match my personal taste when it comes to goalkeepers. I am not criticising his form, but I don't think a player of his size will ever be the kind of dominating goalkeeper that the modern game demands.

However, I think there is one thing we have that cannot be underestimated and that is the current team/squad spirit, and Frank seems to fit well into that.

I believe that as long as we continue to play in the style that SC has been keen to use we will always concede goals, most of the sides in this division have the ability to score goals, and because of where we are currently situated, I think every team sees us a team they need to raise their game against.