IGNORED

The Doobie Doobie Doo Song - Wembley 87

Merrick's Marvels

...46 secs into this vid...

Great day out at Milwall!

1000+ packed on to the train then the quickest run through the tube system as the police kindly had the tubes waiting at each of the change overs on the system.

The best bit of the day was when we got into Paddington as Chelsea had an early kick off and the look on their faces was priceless as we all emerged

1000+ packed on to the train then the quickest run through the tube system as the police kindly had the tubes waiting at each of the change overs on the system.

The best bit of the day was when we got into Paddington as Chelsea had an early kick off and the look on their faces was priceless as we all emerged

Was that the Gary Johnson promotion season? If so, great trip back on the underground apart from when the Police tried to shepherd me onto the Paddington->TempleMeads train when I was booked onto a completely different train!!

Love the doobie doo song, it's our equivalent of Millwall's famous roar!!

Blimey, that song brings back memories. Loved it.

Hold the oooooooooooooh!, then kind of go mental!

Love this song.

Quality when we get if right.

Sometimes the ooooooooooooooooooooh bit puts everyone off of their stroke.

Great song for atmosphere. The long oooooooooooooooohhhh bit is so loud, with 5k of us doing this tomorrow it would be awesome. Also a song that can last and last too. I hope its the start of it again tomorrow.

Any other games you can remember it at Cowshed?

(That Bournemouth game was September 86 btw. We lost to 2 dodgy pens, Moyes sent off for protesting the second which sparked "disagreement" from the away end. Bournemouth went up as champions, despite having Pulis and O'Driscoll playing for them - what a thought! - but not before we set the record straight by spanking them in the home game at The Gate).

Walsall away again around the same time 1-1 memorable for Andy L scoring from near the half way line, and the Evening post describing City fans in the stand as loutish invaders and brigands. Still not sure what a brigand is.

It also was associated with a particular non cats coach tavelling from BS/4, and the dressers enclosure corner, or Zoo corner as some called it. That crew moved into the enclosure around 84 before also moving into the Dolman A-B.

Loved the Doobie Doobie dooooo song, it was very popular especially away. The Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh getting longer and longer as the song went on. I could never sing it that long without laughing, certainly put a smile on everyone's face.

Really hope it gets revived tomorrow although gutted I'm not going. Maybe if it takes off it could be sung on Tuesday. I definitely remember it being belted out away at Wolves and fans banging on the side of the stand in time. Is it really that long ago, I guess it must be. Frightening.

Walsall away again around the same time 1-1 memorable for Andy L scoring from near the half way line, and the Evening post describing City fans in the stand as loutish invaders and brigands. Still not sure what a brigand is.

It also was associated with a particular non cats coach tavelling from BS/4, and the dressers enclosure corner, or Zoo corner as some called it. That crew moved into the enclosure around 84 before also moving into the Dolman A-B.

Blige, I were in the Grandstand at Walsall that night but I'm no brigand - for starters, it has piratical connotations. 

Anyone know the origins of this song?

When we first sang it?

Why?

To the tune of 'Strangers in the night', was it?

Don't think we nicked it off anyone else, so believe it's unique to BCFC.

Around 84/85 Tom Thumb was attached to the invitation only coaches that recruited from the "livelier" elements of City support.

Millwalls sub culture had EIO, City had Tom Thumb.

Tom Thumb comfortably the greatest chant in the history of chants (puts YNWA et al to shame). Don't get down often due to moving away - now in MK and in home end tomorrow on my lonesome, will critique noise levels tomorrow evening, but would definitely make a special request for ever elongated 'Ooooooooooooo's if you could all assist. Thanks ever so. 

Remember CSF t-shirts with a small red British Rail logo c. 84/85. Just around the time Sergio Tacchini etc was developing the casual culture, but worn by haggard old chaps you definitely wouldn't question. Might have been seen at the Bournemouth game mentioned above. Memory fades. 

He's right though, although of course plenty of other teams sing Ole Ole Ole Ole, our melody is unique.

At the end of the phrase "Bristol City" we go up three semitones. Everyone else goes down four semitones!

#musicgeekalert

Thought so, wonder how that started? I'm sure we sing it more than most teams do.

I don't think many teams sing "keep the red/blue/pink flag flying high" other than us, United, Chelsea off the top of my head

Around 84/85 Tom Thumb was attached to the invitation only coaches that recruited from the "livelier" elements of City support.

Millwalls sub culture had EIO, City had Tom Thumb.

Agree...Tom Thumb started mid 80's, no way was it around in the first division days. Can anyone remember singing it with with arms outstretched to the side (a la 'Dambusters')?... or is it my memory playing tricks?

Archived