IGNORED

The Official Colchester United V Bristol City Match Day Thread

Didn't that used to be Fixed odds coupons?

Yes.. The bookies would give a number, say 5 offsides.. i usually went low.. so if its 4 offsides you win 1, if 3 then 2 and so on and the odds were usually like 3-1 for 4 offsides and then jumped up significantly for, say, 3 like about 6-1. For top notch matches you could usually win on going low.

The good thing was the bookies usually got there offside number too high in the first place and so you knew that from studying form and so go go at least 2 or maybe up to 4 low when the odds were even higher.. they all made serious losses over about 2-3 seasons and as Cynic says.. few if any do it now. Mores the pity.

I totally agree in principal TMOR but the beauty of football means that anything can happen on the day to upset the form book .

That is why winning the league is harder than the cup .

Agreed, as in Crew away, still gives me the shudders, but we are 5 points clear of 3rd, not a huge margin but it can see the players play with a a bit of swagger I hope, as I say we should not fear going to these places without returning with 3 points. 

Yes.. The bookies would give a number, say 5 offsides.. i usually went low.. so if its 4 offsides you win 1, if 3 then 2 and so on and the odds were usually like 3-1 for 4 offsides and then jumped up significantly for, say, 3 like about 6-1. For top notch matches you could usually win on going low.

The good thing was the bookies usually got there offside number too high in the first place and so you knew that from studying form and so go go at least 2 or maybe up to 4 low when the odds were even higher.. they all made serious losses over about 2-3 seasons and as Cynic says.. few if any do it now. Mores the pity.

No,   the fixed odds coupons I was thinking of consisted of all the fixtures for the day and by the side of each one was odds, like Spurs 5-1 for a home and Chelsea Evens for an away. So you picked so many lines and had a bet on each one.  If you bet on 6 games for homes at say 10p each you would win whatever the odds were for each correct pick.   I hope you understand,  it's a long time since I have seen these coupons.  By the way whats the ODDs on Russia Invading Estonia, because if the invasion will come from within, knowing even the Russian Estonians, they are very slow people,  It could take a long time.

Edited by EstoniaTallinnRed

Like Peterborough, Colchester has had its fair share of Roman invaders. The majority of those that came to Colchester, however, did not arrive in the mid 1950's but about 1,910 years earlier in around 45 AD. These were an entirely different type of Italian who raped and pillaged at will. The Celtic Trinovantes were completely overrun and largely wiped out by the invading Romans who named the group of 12 small settlements Camulodunum and the seat of Cunobelinus. It was hugely significant because it was the first Roman capital of Britain.

While the busy Roman's took their eye off the 'tiller', however, our very own Boadicea, Queen of the Iceni Tribe, burnt the settlement to the ground. She went on to do the same in London and no doubt had good reason after the Romans raped both of her daughters. She in fact had been close to driving the Romans from these shores in AD60. Suetonius Paullinus was the Roman who eventually defeated Boadicea on Watling Street, The British were defeated and she died shortly after.

The Romans rebuilt the settlement with greater fortifications. It was not until the Romans were replaced by the Saxons, around 407AD that the settlement took on the name Colne Ceaster. Colchester developed rapidly from the production of woolen cloth and drew a lot of migrants from Flanders. It had, from early time, a significant Catholic population and considering its importance in our history can perhaps feel a little hard done by in not being granted diocese or city status both applications of which were turned down.

The town has some fine historical buildings and any resemblance to the name 'Cradle of Filth' a group including Colcestrian Paul Allender, surely is purely coincidental.

Colchester United, as we know, used to play at Layer Road and I remember the day when i was behind the opposition goal, rather mischievously, trying to distract one Gerken fella between the sticks. from memory that failed because i think we lost. Since moving to Cuckoo Farm Colchester have not fulfilled their ambitions of upper League 1 football; they only spent the 2007 season in the 2nd tier thanks to Phil Parkinson's management.

Interestingly Colchester have other similarities with the Unposh, being formed around the same time, in 1937, and also elected to the Football League around the same time, 1950 and have spent most of their time in the lower two divisions. One interesting deviation is that in 1937, when Colchester Town decided against going professional, United were formed, using the same Layer Road ground and putting Town out of business in fairly short fashion. Hard to believe but in that first season of league football the club averaged over 10,000 for each home game at Layer Road. Where has all that support gone?

Colchester were managed by Jock Wallace but 'even' the former Rangers man could not stop them dropping into non-league football in the mid 80's. By the time they were back in the Football league, some time in the early 90's and after Bradford and Heysel, Colchester had both a business case and need to move to a new home and thanks to the council buying the ground this happened with a leaseback agreement. The new stadium, as with City, was built by the Scottish firm Barr Construction.

The town of Colchester have seen war, blood and toil, the prestigious title of being the first capital of Roman Britain and 'saved' by Boadicea only to fall to the Romans again. To say its most illustrious days are behind it is probably true but can we say the same of its football team? A new ground in the first wave of the Taylor report and with a population of some 125,000 should be able to easily support a League 1 or lower Championship team if they could get back to those 1950's averages. Perhaps the close proximity of Ipswich precludes that from happening.

I have rather waffled on here on a town that perhaps deserves a little better historically but whose football club is probably where it deserves to be in the scheme of things.. anything other than a resounding victory for us today, for me, would be a disappointment.

All 4 strikers raring to go we must put these guys to the sword as many have done in historical battle!

1-4

:)

Agard, Smith, Freeman, Flint.

Nice start you Cuban smasher...

Icei, but I thought ee was dead...

• Like 1

No,   the fixed odds coupons I was thinking of consisted of all the fixtures for the day and by the side of each one was odds, like Spurs 5-1 for a home and Chelsea Evens for an away. So you picked so many lines and had a bet on each one.  If you bet on 6 games for homes at say 10p each you would win whatever the odds were for each correct pick.   I hope you understand,  it's a long time since I have seen these coupons.  By the way whats the ODDs on Russia Invading Estonia, because if the invasion will come from within, knowing even the Russian Estonians, they are very slow people,  It could take a long time.

You are talking about result betting i think.. like the pools?

Anyway.. not really my thing.. i just did the offsides and the chances were so good for a win. I milked it for all it was worth until they realised they had dropped a clanger.

Putin has simply illustrated that he either has more cojones than the EU/US or he is being propped up by the Military and we don't know it yet. All I do know is that he seems to have outfoxed a committee of nations who seem to have no idea of what his next move is and would not be able to form a decision making chain of command if it came along and twanged them in the bratwursts.

I think if you look at Merkel and Hollande as the spearhead of such an inept committee we should be very fearful of Eastern Europe exploding... Hungary might be next but for sure they have their eyes on the Baltic republics and Estonia has annoyed the little weasel on more than one occasion.

Sorry to bleat on but why is it that all the news channels seem to continue to ask the rudimentary question ' is it possible he might be looking to open a land corridor to Crimea? and then on to Moldova? 

Back to footie.. one has to bow and be full of admiration for how Shakhtar are able to carry on regardless while playing their matches in Kiev. 

Edited by havanatopia

Squad rotation. Keeping him fresh for a (on paper) sterner test Tuesday night

Agree with this.

If Taviner was going to start one of the two games, I'd have picked this one.

Hope JET takes them apart; good idea to rest him Tuesday, but with Agard finding his scoring touch again, should be good motivation for him to perform.