IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

17 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

No guarantee in place yet that ECB will continue to give counties £1.3m every year on the announcement of the new 4 year deal, however the ECB needs permission from the counties for any competitions they're not involved with. No £1.3m payment? The counties could stop the hundred.

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/countycricket/future_counties_1.3million_hundred_payments_unclear_despite_announcement_broadcast_deal_ecb.html

Oh, Yes Please.

• Like 1

Was at Taunton yesterday and unfortunately have to say that was just about the worst performance I've seen from a Yorkshire side in the 50 something years I've been watching. More leaving this year, obviously including KC. Central contract absences are one thing but we've always lived that. Many  things still very difficult within - definitely trouble at 'mill 

Was very surprised that Somerset didn't declare and give Yorkshire an awkward last 20-30 minutes to finish the day. Somerset should be winning this comfortably but seem to struggle killing teams off.

Edited by Calculus

10 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Glos game is on 5Live Sports Extra this afternoon for as long as there's no play in the ODI.

Kyle Abbott hat trick either side of lunch.

I was going to post earlier that Glos look like getting a draw, but that Abbott hat trick has left them in a very precarious position.

Well that was a frustrating day, it was sunny everywhere around the south west it seems…..bar Taunton. It never got heavier than a few annoying spots or light drizzle but rarely stopped all day.

A difficult game next week at Essex then we wait until September when we play all our rivals, two of which, Glos and Warwickshire are in a lot worse form than we are. Our points total from this game wasn’t bad and once we’ve played our game in hand over Warwickshire, Kent and Gloucester we’ll see then where we are.

As another has mentioned, the future of county cricket as we know it is up in the air, the problems caused by creating, promoting and funding the 100 are becoming all too real

12 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Well that was a frustrating day, it was sunny everywhere around the south west it seems…..bar Taunton. It never got heavier than a few annoying spots or light drizzle but rarely stopped all day.

A difficult game next week at Essex then we wait until September when we play all our rivals, two of which, Glos and Warwickshire are in a lot worse form than we are. Our points total from this game wasn’t bad and once we’ve played our game in hand over Warwickshire, Kent and Gloucester we’ll see then where we are.

As another has mentioned, the future of county cricket as we know it is up in the air, the problems caused by creating, promoting and funding the 100 are becoming all too real

I was at the Kings Festival yesterday, you can see the floodlights from there, we had rain, but it blew through quickly and didn't stop play!!

30 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

I was at the Kings Festival yesterday, you can see the floodlights from there, we had rain, but it blew through quickly and didn't stop play!!

The players were walking out at 11 o’clock and it started spitting so they didn’t start.

We all thought if it started spitting 10 minutes later and they had started play they would have played on throughout most of it. There were a few bits of heavier drizzle but all in all incredibly frustrating, let’s hope it’s our turn for some good luck in the September rounds.

So many cracking championship games this season, the new proposals from Strauss would be devastating for 6 counties and such a shame. 

It’s madness that every season, even when you renew your membership, you’ve no idea what your signing up for. What division you’ll be in how many games you’ll play in each competition, will there even be a 50 over comp.

And still people defend the 100 because it’s fun and you can see some of it on the BBC. 

• Like 3

I mean things are already bad.

This year we’ve had 1 days championship play on a weekend in June, none in July and there won’t be any in August or September.

If you’d told me this when I was a schoolboy in the late 70s, going to cricket what seemed like every week, I wouldn’t believe it.