IGNORED

Warnock on talksport

castle red

27 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I remember an interview with Alan Brazil once, I think that Ashton Gate was one of the first grounds he played at with Celtic Boys (if that's what they were called) and was very complimentary about us.....I guess this was when he was doing a bit of commentating for Sky many years ago, so there's a fair chance his opinion of the club could have changed since then

Yeah, he said exactly that this morning. Apparently his first game outside of Scotland was for Celtic Boys v Bristol City Youth at the Gate. This morning he was very complimentary about our club and our new ground.

15 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

he has turned us down.....fact

That's a bloody shame, Oldstand. Never rated him anyway :ph34r:

14 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Fairly sure he made his debut for Ipswich at AG.

Yeah, you are probably right on that one, Wurzel

1 minute ago, Midlands Robin said:

Yeah, he said exactly that this morning. Apparently his first game outside of Scotland was for Celtic Boys v Bristol City Youth at the Gate. This morning he was very complimentary about our club and our new ground.

@Ashtonwurzel - maybe I was right after all!

MR - nice to know I'm not losing my marbles!

13 minutes ago, RedM said:

No. I don't think he is the answer either. Worked with 2 managers who have since left. Millen all over I think, a good steady, unspectacular number two but not the fresh eyes and ideas we need. If a role were found for him within the club that's fair but I don't think we can expect another manager who would need to be a quality one to work with someone else's number 2.

Obvious who my choice would be, but that's not happening. So realistically we should be looking for someone outside the club with Championship experience ,even if we go down ,as hopefully we will need the tools in place again soon to do the job properly next time. I think he will have to be someone known and respected to really make us attractive again. Yes, I'm expecting he won't be cheap, but I feel we must spend big and spend wisely this time. We all like to save money but somethings you can't skimp on or it affects everything else.

But the list of candidates is rather uninspiring, especially when we look at what is realistic as you say.

With that in mind, I would say of NW v JP, NW is by far the better of two evils; particularly if he could be invited in to do a job and close the door on his way out. I'm not too sure there are other hats in the ring who meet the criteria and have the creds of a certain NW.

For me, we might not like his methods, we might not like the way he conducts himself, but pride comes before a fall.

1 minute ago, handsofclay1909 said:

The trouble is Red M that we aren't appealing enough to those managers in our current position. At the start of a new season at Championship level yes. But they don't want to risk a relegation on their CV. It seems therefore that we either get a Red Adair type figure in to get us out of this inferno, i.e. Warnock, or stick with JP and run the very big risk of playing League 1 football again next season. It seems you would much prefer the latter to the former but a lot of us don't and will cheer Warnock to the hilt if he comes down here and works his magic on a short term basis.

That's fine. I've explained myself above. As I said people who feel this way are probably right but there you go.

More than deciding between Warnock and Pemberton I am shocked, saddened, disappointed and disgusted that we have got to this point. No I shouldn't say 'we' as I don't include us the fans in any of this. I am looking to the people who will make the appointment to do the right thing this time. They have brought this shambles to their door they have to sort it, whoever they appoint.

I honestly think it will now be Pemberton until we find out where we will be playing next season. It's been nearly 2 weeks since Cotterill left, surely that's time enough if they intended to appoint to use this window.

11 minutes ago, RedM said:

No problem. You have your opinion and I have mine. Seriously, I do think you are a better person than I though as you can see the positives and 'forgive'.

I'm a stubborn so and so, don't forgive and forget easily. Yes it's been my downfall at times, but I've also made some great decisions by following my instinct. My instinct is in this case that I don't want Warnock at my club.

Haha, believe me, I can bear a grudge! Tony Pulis for example. 

And I'm in total agreement that you've got to follow your instincts sometimes. My gut feeling is Warnock would be a decent appointment, and better than taking the tried and failed 'cheap' internal option like Pemberton (nothing against the guy personally).

Problem is the club needs a boost of some type at the moment. Staying with Pemberton might or might not keep us up but it will be very uninspiring. We need a "name", either a player or a manager to get the spark back otherwise this season could just fizzle out. Its easy to spend SL's money from here but action is needed now.

• Admin
12 minutes ago, marmite said:

Problem is the club needs a boost of some type at the moment. Staying with Pemberton might or might not keep us up but it will be very uninspiring. We need a "name", either a player or a manager to get the spark back otherwise this season could just fizzle out. Its easy to spend SL's money from here but action is needed now.

I do agree, but hold my hands up was very underwhelmed when Cotts got the job with us - but look how that turned out

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

I do agree, but hold my hands up was very underwhelmed when Cotts got the job with us - but look how that turned out

phantom, you were not alone so just shows what we know but football is a lottery with new managers, I was pi**ed off when Peter Doherty got the sack :ill:

5 minutes ago, 42nite said:

We're not exactly an attractive proposition at the moment are we?

Get him in now, get some enthusiasm back in the club, keep us in the Championship, then see who's bashing SL's door down demanding to be our manager.

This is how I feel. The Brum game on Saturday isn't inspiring me. If we get a bad result, ie, anything less than a win, with no new appointments by then, this forum will be filled with more doom and gloom. After last season we should all be buoyant and enthusiastic about this year in the Championship. Sadly, in historical terms, the board fiddle while Bristol City burns.

2 hours ago, cynic said:

The reason for a new manager is to keep us in this division.

If they are not confident of that, then they should not be considered.

Plus, we have a temporary manager, why have another one ?

because the temporary manager isn't going to save us from relegation maybe ?

we need a new face, someone with experience that will lift the whole club.

1 hour ago, Cheesleysmate said:

I listen to Talksport daily and certainly this season every time we are mentioned it seems to be in jest or in a "surely you can't be serious?" manner.

I think it all stems from the ridiculous last minute desperate £9 million bids over the summer.

All I got from the whole thing is that Warnock is 2/1 Brazil knows he doesn't want to touch the City managers just job with a barge pole, and so they are ribbing him big time.

When City were offering the £9 millions Brazil was treating a potential move to Ashton Gate being a step backwards for anyone.

What I heard today was more of the same "Tinpot League 1 yo-yo club from a rugby city who should almalgamate with the other Bristol club if they ever want any chance of being taken seriously" attitude.

As a passionate City fan I was embarrassed and switched off. 

Thing is, for Gayle, Grey, Maguire and Konchesky, coming here would have been a step backwards, seeing as we were a newly promoted club with a patchy record (being kind) in the Championship. And they, unsurprisingly, decided not to take that backward step.

And people were talking about us in "jest" because the Gayle bid, for one, was "ridiculous." No getting away from this.

I don't know what Alan Brazil said this morning, but previously, he has always spoken very favourably about us. As well as playing here as a kid against us, he remembers us from his Ipswich days. I think Ipswich won at AG twice in 79/80, cup and league, in about ten days or something. Rovers, meanwhile, don't seem to be on his radar

The fact that none of us or the bookies can think of a creditable candidate other than Pembo and Colin is really depressing isnt it?

So, if they didnt have an alternative lined up the board believed that Pembo was a better bet to keep us up than SC? Wow.

Said it before, and Red M says it well on this thread, I dont want Colin anywhere near my club, no reason involved just cant stand him.

2 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Thing is, for Gayle, Grey, Maguire and Konchesky, coming here would have been a step backwards, seeing as we were a newly promoted club with a patchy record (being kind) in the Championship. And they, unsurprisingly, decided not to take that backward step.

And people were talking about us in "jest" because the Gayle bid, for one, was "ridiculous." No getting away from this.

I don't know what Alan Brazil said this morning, but previously, he has always spoken very favourably about us. As well as playing here as a kid against us, he remembers us from his Ipswich days. I think Ipswich won at AG twice in 79/80, cup and league, in about ten days or something. Rovers, meanwhile, don't seem to be on his radar

I agree that he has fond memories of playing against City as a top flight club 36 years ago, but as with everyone else outside of Bristol we are unfashionable and they don't see the point of investing in a club from a rugby city.

It has been so long since we were in the top flight that players of today weren't even born and see us as a League One outfit / Championship relegation fodder because we have been away from the big time for far too long, and managers see us as a bit of a poisoned chalice and a serial screw up.

5 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

The fact that none of us or the bookies can think of a creditable candidate other than Pembo and Colin is really depressing isnt it?

So, if they didnt have an alternative lined up the board believed that Pembo was a better bet to keep us up than SC? Wow.

Said it before, and Red M says it well on this thread, I dont want Colin anywhere near my club, no reason involved just cant stand him.

could you stand him if he came in till rest of season and saved us from Lge 1 ????

What concerns me with Warnock is that, yes, he's struggled in two jobs in the last twenty years (although it's worth also adding a story when he was managing QPR in the Premiership and the players were screaming at him to make tactical changes he refused to make in a match against Norwich.  Norwich then equalised) but the fact Warnock struggled in his last two permanent jobs and his last season in his previous job to that means it's now five years since his last successful season.  That's a long time in football.

My feeling, and I could be wrong, is that manages like Warnock have been left behind by changes in football over recent years.  When everyone played four-four-two and understanding of sports science and statistical gains was limited, the kind of manager that could keep things simple and motivate players had a real edge.  However over the last few years there's been a revolution in both tactical thinking and the extent that marginal gains - small changes in diet, fitness and performance analysis - can cumulatively get a team to punch above their weight.  Even in the Championship teams will have sports scientists, nutritionists and computer analysts finding the small changes clubs can make to get an edge on their rivals and I don't think it's a coincidence that Warnock's success at clubs has gone from superb to negligible in that time.

To my mind, appointing Warnock is like a movie studio in the 1930s getting a silent movie star to lead in a 'talkie'.  It's not impossible it will work but it's a massive risk given the skills required have changed significantly since his golden age.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

And a thanks but no thanks from me too. I would find it very hard to cheer him and support him as a manager. I can imagine if introduced a chorus of boos ringing out or at best a wall of silence. The Board won't want that, and God knows what it would do to the players either.

Certain things should never be put together, Bristol City and Warnock is one of them.

Not at all like the last bloke we appointed then, whose first game saw an underwhelming welcome (from supporters) at best and a board without the bollocks to even sit anywhere near him at his first press conference..

2 hours ago, 29AR said:

But the list of candidates is rather uninspiring, especially when we look at what is realistic as you say.

With that in mind, I would say of NW v JP, NW is by far the better of two evils; particularly if he could be invited in to do a job and close the door on his way out. I'm not too sure there are other hats in the ring who meet the criteria and have the creds of a certain NW.

For me, we might not like his methods, we might not like the way he conducts himself, but pride comes before a fall.

I disagree, Warnocks recent jobs haven't been too good, he has history of causing drama, brings in overpriced journeymen and plays awful football. 

The overpriced journeymen and drama are my biggest concerns, it's been said many times about how our squad are a tight knit group and would back each other up, with Warnocks abrasive behaviour it's a concern more so than with other managers.

Someone else said "pemberton might or might not keep us up" but this applies to every single manager in the world, I could be given the job and might or might not keep us up, equally mourinho could get the job and we might or might not stay up.

27 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

What concerns me with Warnock is that, yes, he's struggled in two jobs in the last twenty years (although it's worth also adding a story when he was managing QPR in the Premiership and the players were screaming at him to make tactical changes he refused to make in a match against Norwich.  Norwich then equalised) but the fact Warnock struggled in his last two permanent jobs and his last season in his previous job to that means it's now five years since his last successful season.  That's a long time in football.

My feeling, and I could be wrong, is that manages like Warnock have been left behind by changes in football over recent years.  When everyone played four-four-two and understanding of sports science and statistical gains was limited, the kind of manager that could keep things simple and motivate players had a real edge.  However over the last few years there's been a revolution in both tactical thinking and the extent that marginal gains - small changes in diet, fitness and performance analysis - can cumulatively get a team to punch above their weight.  Even in the Championship teams will have sports scientists, nutritionists and computer analysts finding the small changes clubs can make to get an edge on their rivals and I don't think it's a coincidence that Warnock's success at clubs has gone from superb to negligible in that time.

To my mind, appointing Warnock is like a movie studio in the 1930s getting a silent movie star to lead in a 'talkie'.  It's not impossible it will work but it's a massive risk given the skills required have changed significantly since his golden age.

Well playing 3-5-2 hardly worked for us and was shouted down by everybody so are you suggesting that 4-4-2 is outdated and won't work?

Give me Warnock until the end of the season with all his direct, whining, cheating tactics if it gives us a fighting chance of staying up.

As it this season so far, for so many reasons, has been an unmitigated disaster. We might be points adrift come Saturday.

Recriminations and longer term planning and appointments can come once we are safe, or over the summer months.

Decisive action, rather than indecisive inaction, is needed. And is needed now.

I do understand the reluctance of the anti-Warnock crowd, but I wonder if those people have grasped the seriousness and urgency of our situation.  We simply cannot afford to be so picky.  Without the boost of a manager such as Warnock - someone with the strength of personality and coaching ability to alter the course of our season very quickly, in my opinion - I fear we are effectively consigning ourselves to relegation.  If it's Pemberton then he would have my support, but I would also see it as the last shambolic straw of a shambolic season on and off the pitch.

15 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I do understand the reluctance of the anti-Warnock crowd, but I wonder if those people have grasped the seriousness and urgency of our situation.  We simply cannot afford to be so picky.  Without the boost of a manager such as Warnock - someone with the strength of personality and coaching ability to alter the course of our season very quickly, in my opinion - I fear we are effectively consigning ourselves to relegation.  If it's Pemberton then he would have my support, but I would also see it as the last shambolic straw of a shambolic season on and off the pitch.

Indeed.

I would take issue with a board who would think that JP is a safer bet than SC given that JP has zero managerial creds and experience. It might pay off, it might work, but I'd say that's a gamble akin to me sticking my life savings on 24 on spin of a roulette wheel. Just because it may land on that number doesn't make it a reasonable action for me to take and so similarly I don't feel the board would be vindicated or justified if we do stay up and JP was/is their intention.

Hiring someone with experience and creds doesn't make it less of a gamble, but it'd be less risky and at least like spreading your chips on a single spin.

2 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Indeed.

I would take issue with a board who would think that JP is a safer bet than SC given that JP has zero managerial creds and experience. It might pay off, it might work, but I'd say that's a gamble akin to me sticking my life savings on 24 on spin of a roulette wheel. Just because it may land on that number doesn't make it a reasonable action for me to take and so similarly I don't feel the board would be vindicated or justified if we do stay up and JP was/is their intention.

Hiring someone with experience and creds doesn't make it less of a gamble, but it'd be less risky and at least like spreading your chips on a single spin.

I agree.  Appointing Pemberton would make the decision to sack Cotterill very questionable to say the least.  I foolishly allowed myself to believe that the timing of his departure meant a replacement was lined up; otherwise, I couldn't see the point of it.  Of course I failed to account for the decision making ability of our board.  Silly me.

Archived