IGNORED

The Official Nottingham Forest v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Good morning everyone.

On one of the very rare occasions when I managed to correctly predict the scoreline City entertained Nottingham Forest at Ashton Gate. That fixture was in October 2015 and we won 2-0 in front of a little over 15,200 fans.

The most impressive prognostications usually sound ridiculous at the time but come true in the end. Not that I am alluding to my score prediction being either impressive or ridiculous.

As science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke once said, "If by some miracle, a prophet could describe the future exactly as it was going to take place, his predictions would sound so far-fetched, so absurd, that everyone would laugh him to scorn."

In the event the day arrives that I do make an absurd prediction you all have my blessing to banish me from this thread task forever; should I be proved correct, then I shall resign. I have always admired the way some footballers go out at the top and I should like to emulate them. In the meantime I will spend the rest of this thread composition considering the most sensible scoreline.

Snotingas, being one of the names Nottingham was once known, probably has absolutely no connection with a football club based in Horfield. I wrote a few words about the city's history in the thread of October. I'd like to go a little further back in time by suggesting to fans, who might have a few spare hours on their hands today, to visit the Broadmarsh Shopping Centre. As incongruous as that sounds it is for a reason; inside there is an entrance to 'The City of Caves'. It is well worth a visit.

Tigguo Cobauc, or 'place of caves', was the name of modern day Nottingham in 600 AD and of course precedes Snotingas or Snoting-ham. Beneath Broadmarsh lies a labrynth of the largest network of man made caves in the UK. There are currently 500 caves to explore where, for a thousand years, people resided and worked; there is evidence of the only known underground Tannery here. Few locals of Nottingham are aware of these tunnels and caves so do go and visit them. Surely it surpasses the idle boredom of walking around a stereotypical shopping mall!...

56d11f4140bf8_ScreenShot2016-02-27at12.0

Should any of you be reading this while looking out over the River Trent from the Meadows Club it will likely be too late for a bit of culture. A few statistics will have to suffice.

Apparently Forest have only played seven times on this day in history, winning two, drawing three and losing two. They beat West Ham and Leicester in 60 and 65, drew with their nearest neighbours, Boro and Charlton in 54, 82 and 99 and lost to Man City and Leicester in 99 and 2003 respectively. Apart from playing Leicester more times than any other club ever on this day those are numbingly boring statistics and serves you right for not visiting the caves.

On a more serious note I hope you will or have taken advantage of the superb Nottingham Tram service today where there are numerous park and ride schemes. try parking your car at either Toton Lane or Clifton South and taking the Tram to 'The Forest' which is the nearest station to the City Ground. from there you can take a bus if you prefer or cannot walk. Perhaps one day the Tram will return to Bristol.

So, on that note back to my usually inaccurate predictions. After an extremely disappointing thrashing on Tuesday evening we are all hoping for a positive reaction. I cannot find anything more positive than a draw in my mindset however. 2-2. Go on City prove me wrong, as usual, but only if you win the game.

Kodjia and Flint.

As usual I am taking off my huge Sombrero to salute every single City fan making the journey today. Nottingham is a good day out, it is a decent city with lots to see and plenty of beautiful countryside. We will sacrifice all of that though for 3 points and you can even, may I venture, become thoroughly drenched as you leave the City Ground, not even feeling it, as you bask in the glory of victory. :)

Gooorrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnnn.

UTC

• Like 16
5 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good morning everyone.

On one of the very rare occasions when I managed to correctly predict the scoreline City entertained Nottingham Forest at Ashton Gate. That fixture was in October 2015 and we won 2-0 in front of a little over 15,200 fans.

The most impressive prognostications usually sound ridiculous at the time but come true in the end. Not that I am alluding to my score prediction being either impressive or ridiculous.

As science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke once said, "If by some miracle, a prophet could describe the future exactly as it was going to take place, his predictions would sound so far-fetched, so absurd, that everyone would laugh him to scorn."

In the event the day arrives that I do make an absurd prediction you all have my blessing to banish me from this thread task forever; should I be proved correct, then I shall resign. I have always admired the way some footballers go out at the top and I should like to emulate them. In the meantime I will spend the rest of this thread composition considering the most sensible scoreline.

Snotingas, being one of the names Nottingham was once known, probably has absolutely no connection with a football club based in Horfield. I wrote a few words about the city's history in the thread of October. I'd like to go a little further back in time by suggesting to fans, who might have a few spare hours on their hands today, to visit the Broadmarsh Shopping Centre. As incongruous as that sounds it is for a reason; inside there is an entrance to 'The City of Caves'. It is well worth a visit.

Tigguo Cobauc, or 'place of caves', was the name of modern day Nottingham in 600 AD and of course precedes Snotingas or Snoting-ham. Beneath Broadmarsh lies a labrynth of the largest network of man made caves in the UK. There are currently 500 caves to explore where, for a thousand years, people resided and worked; there is evidence of the only known underground Tannery here. Few locals of Nottingham are aware of these tunnels and caves so do go and visit them. Surely it surpasses the idle boredom of walking around a stereotypical shopping mall!...

56d11f4140bf8_ScreenShot2016-02-27at12.0

Should any of you be reading this while looking out over the River Trent from the Meadows Club it will likely be too late for a bit of culture. A few statistics will have to suffice.

Apparently Forest have only played seven times on this day in history, winning two, drawing three and losing two. They beat West Ham and Leicester in 60 and 65, drew with their nearest neighbours, Boro and Charlton in 54, 82 and 99 and lost to Man City and Leicester in 99 and 2003 respectively. Apart from playing Leicester more times than any other club ever on this day those are numbingly boring statistics and serves you right for not visiting the caves.

On a more serious note I hope you will or have taken advantage of the superb Nottingham Tram service today where there are numerous park and ride schemes. try parking your car at either Toton Lane or Clifton South and taking the Tram to 'The Forest' which is the nearest station to the City Ground. from there you can take a bus if you prefer or cannot walk. Perhaps one day the Tram will return to Bristol.

So, on that note back to my usually inaccurate predictions. After an extremely disappointing thrashing on Tuesday evening we are all hoping for a positive reaction. I cannot find anything more positive than a draw in my mindset however. 2-2. Go on City prove me wrong, as usual, but only if you win the game.

Kodjia and Flint.

As usual I am taking off my huge Sombrero to salute every single City fan making the journey today. Nottingham is a good day out, it is a decent city with lots to see and plenty of beautiful countryside. We will sacrifice all of that though for 3 points and you can even, may I venture, become thoroughly drenched as you leave the City Ground, not even feeling it, as you bask in the glory of victory. :)

Gooorrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnnn.

UTC

Condensed Version

Nottingham

A rival to Wookey Hole with all its caves but shittier

• Like 2

Default Re: Matchday 33: Forest vs Bristol City, 27/02/16 - Official Matchday Thread

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
We owe these bastards one.

We do, and I hope we're going to use that as motivation because for me this is one of the important games, not for results, not for position, but because it's the sort of match where we need to show a bit more and prove to the fans it's worth renewing for next season.

If we murder them it might entice a few fans back, if we get rolled over it could go the other way.

I'd like a positive line up and positive intentions on the pitch.

Come on city 2/0
4 minutes ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Today is a fairly rare example of Forest being given a 'proper' hiding by City.

EVERY City player has a blinder today, resulting in a 4-1 win for BCFC.

After predicting the last result so accurately, I've got my tail up.

4-1 to City: MARK MY WORDS :bruce_h4h:

Uncle TFR

Admire your optimism 

Going to be tight today, but I think Lee Johnson will have told the lads to do a proper job today after our spanking on Tuesday. After all, no manager wants his team to go off the rails so soon. I'm going for a nice 2-1 win to City, with us scoring a goal late in the first-half and early in the second, with Forest scoring around the 80th minute for a tense end, bit like back at Huddersfield a few months ago. Kodjia and Tomlin to score.

32 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Also the unsolved murder capital of the country. Don't get murdered there. 

Because if you're murdered you're happier if, and I can't emphasise this enough, you're happier knowing (or not depending on your beliefs) that the perpetrator may be caught ??  :whistle:

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

It is. There`s a council estate called `the drug and crime ridden Bestwood Estate`. a strange name but it must be correct as that`s what it`s always called in the media.

Just to the east of the city centre is Saint Annes. Very unlikely that you'll need to go there. But don't. 

Also, if heading from the railway station to the ground, the Meadows isn't too pleasant (although relatively safe). 

if the team as a whole play like they did for all 4 Brighton goals, it could be another long day and to be honest I am now surprised at the flak that Zac Vyner has taken. Having taken a long look at each goal there were a lot of poor decision making by City players in the build up, yes some of the build up play for the goals was slick, no doubt about that but assisted by individual mistakes.

Goal 1:- crap kick out by O'Donnell, possibly a poor first touch by Vyner but to be fair I doubt he was expecting such a hospital ball and Pearce having got back could have made more of an effort to block, Baker would have IMO.

Goal 2:- Weak attempted tackle by Tomlin, Korey ball watching, Freeman not strong enough in his defending and perhaps O'Donnell may have done better IMO.

Goal 3:- Tomlin never closed his man down properly on the half way line, Freeman never tracked back leaving Vyner exposed IMO.

Goal 4:- the Pearce challenge was pathetic IMO.

Although the game was already lost Agard was totally unprofessional and Wilbraham should have been stronger as captain.

16 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

if the team as a whole play like they did for all 4 Brighton goals, it could be another long day and to be honest I am now surprised at the flak that Zac Vyner has taken. Having taken a long look at each goal there were a lot of poor decision making by City players in the build up, yes some of the build up play for the goals was slick, no doubt about that but assisted by individual mistakes.

Goal 1:- crap kick out by O'Donnell, possibly a poor first touch by Vyner but to be fair I doubt he was expecting such a hospital ball and Pearce having got back could have made more of an effort to block, Baker would have IMO.

Goal 2:- Weak attempted tackle by Tomlin, Korey ball watching, Freeman not strong enough in his defending and perhaps O'Donnell may have done better IMO.

Goal 3:- Tomlin never closed his man down properly on the half way line, Freeman never tracked back leaving Vyner exposed IMO.

Goal 4:- the Pearce challenge was pathetic IMO.

Although the game was already lost Agard was totally unprofessional and Wilbraham should have been stronger as captain.

Hard to disagree with much of that; even had a quick rewatch to remind myself, and the fact that Vyner wasn't helped by his more experienced colleagues is pretty clear on goals one and three.

I am concerned about Pearce; at Leeds when he came on, he lacked the organisational skill and foresight of Baker, which contributed to them getting their goal.

I still believe that not only does Baker improve Flint, but his reading of the game in a back four also gives his full back (Golbourne) the confidence to be more decisive, and also push forward to.

Big miss if Baker is out today for me; without him, I think we'll lose, while with him I think we could grab a point.

3 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

As an aside, I see that George Saville is making his fourth start in five games for Wolves v Derbyshire in the lunchtime kick off. I thought him unexceptional in League One.

He had a miss so bad it was deemed worthy of including in the match highlights last week, and they've lost two of the last three he started, drawing the other (and losing last week when he came on as a sub).

One win in eight (and that was the first of that run of eight), and only scored eight goals in nine since Afobe left; will be interesting to see how they go against Derby today, as have really gone off the boil.