IGNORED

Derrick Williams Joined Blackburn (Official)

Bat Fastard

5 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

If Derrick leaves today and Moore is not cleared to play, and Ekstrand has not yet signed - we could be without cover for CH on the bench again for a very tough match.  Just saying.

I expect Scott Golbourne would have to slot in, in an emergency.

10 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

If Derrick leaves today and Moore is not cleared to play, and Ekstrand has not yet signed - we could be without cover for CH on the bench again for a very tough match.  Just saying.

I'm sure LJ knows that.......

Derrick Williams is a good player and at 23/24 is valuable (The Effing Evil Post say he is 28). He has an excellent future at the right club/s however Flint Magnusson are ahead of him we now have Moore and possibly the bloke from Watford which has pushed him down the order. That is Kudos to BCFC for buying well and selling their assets in a timely fashion.

Williams being allowed to leave is a consequence of a bid that BCFC found acceptable for a player that is not getting first team football, not because LJ wants rid of a poor player. The idea that Williams can not play at this level is laughable, the reality is just not here!

Good luck to the lad, he'll get plenty of action at Blackburn if it goes through. Many here will appreciate what the boy has done and he will always get a great reception at our football club!

4 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Derrick Williams is a good player and at 23/24 is valuable (The Effing Evil Post say he is 28). He has an excellent future at the right club/s however Flint Magnusson are ahead of him we now have Moore and possibly the bloke from Watford which has pushed him down the order. That is Kudos to BCFC for buying well and selling their assets in a timely fashion.

Williams being allowed to leave is a consequence of a bid that BCFC found acceptable for a player that is not getting first team football, not because LJ wants rid of a poor player. The idea that Williams can not play at this level is laughable, the reality is just not here!

Good luck to the lad, he'll get plenty of action at Blackburn if it goes through. Many here will appreciate what the boy has done and he will always get a great reception at our football club!

Totally agree , as part of our double winning side he deserves plenty of respect along with everyone else who was part of that squad. However as with mark little I personally think they are not quite up to the standards we want anymore and it's time to move on but they will will go down in the history of our club for what they achieved . 

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Totally agree , as part of our double winning side he deserves plenty of respect along with everyone else who was part of that squad. However as with mark little I personally think they are not quite up to the standards we want anymore and it's time to move on but they will will go down in the history of our club for what they achieved . 

Exactly! Right now we are the club on the up and are attracting players and attention that means we move players on for a profit if an acceptable bid comes in. This will make some surplus to requirements here, not we are shifting players that aren't up to the division.

I like Williams. Decent enough player, seemingly a very good professional as well. Championship standard? Much like Freeman, the jury was out, they've just returned and I think we all know what the verdict is going to be.....

This is just great business for us though - to sell a player who is a little out of his comfort zone in this league to a club in our league, who are already looking like they'll struggle. Very shrewd, and getting a fee for it in the process as well. 

As much as I like Williams, Blackburn are doomed. 

Don't really get the eagerness to get rid of Williams. Obviously he's not of the kind of quality that could anchor a defence to the title, but he's a solid enough defender with better than average ability on the ball. Do I doubt that we can improve him? No. Am I going to gleefully proclaim he's shit and shout 'good riddance' on Twitter. No I am not

Best of luck Derrick

2 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Don't really get the eagerness to get rid of Williams. Obviously he's not of the kind of quality that could anchor a defence to the title, but he's a solid enough defender with better than average ability on the ball. Do I doubt that we can improve him? No. Am I going to gleefully proclaim he's shit and shout 'good riddance' on Twitter. No I am not

Best of luck Derrick

I think it's probably due to us supposedly signing elkstrand , that would be 5 centre halves including Williams so it's obvious he'll be the one to go. As you say though best of luck to him, he's always come across as a decent lad and good pro. 

50 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Didn't know if this has already been mentioned, but from Nixon:

'Bristol City will sign Ekstrand, but maybe not until after the window shuts. Strange reason. '

As he is a free agent, we can sign him outside the transfer window. If City intend to do that, it may be that they have other target(s) and if they fail during this window, City will sign Ekstrand as soon as the window closes.

Bottom line is though most players want to play and I would imagine he is no different. 

Contract up this season and an offer of a new contract elsewhere and a better prospect of game time will always swing it.

if the deal is right then it's good business all round. 

In my opinion he's not quite good enough for a team with aspirations that we have. It's good we appear to be developing a culture where those not quite up to the mark are shipped out quickly rather than haemorrhaging wages and becoming unhappy from not playing. 

Was good in league 1, which is where Blackburn might well end up, and could well thrive there - like Agard - if they're relegated. Still young enough to improve significantly with game time so good luck to him.

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

williams going is dependant on another centre back being signed, we want cover for every postion if williams goes then we are short at left sided centre back again, If he leave I expect a new one in by the end of the window,

I think we get too caught up in left sided and right sided CBs. It's useful but it's not vital IMO. If our back ups are all right footed it won't be a problem. Many defences start two right footed CBs. Just put the more comfortable ball player on the left. I expect Moore is comfortable on both feet as he's said he can play in midfield as well. 

26 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

As he is a free agent, we can sign him outside the transfer window. If City intend to do that, it may be that they have other target(s) and if they fail during this window, City will sign Ekstrand as soon as the window closes.

I think you are right, we are chasing someone, might not come off.  If Ekstrand was getting offers elsewhere then we might not be able to play it the way we are.  The trial at Leeds and subsequent "he's failed a medical" might jeep him under the radar from those who might've been tempted.

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think we get too caught up in left sided and right sided CBs. It's useful but it's not vital IMO. If our back ups are all right footed it won't be a problem. Many defences start two right footed CBs. Just put the more comfortable ball player on the left. I expect Moore is comfortable on both feet as he's said he can play in midfield as well. 

I'm thinking more along the line of having 4 CB's with experience, once williams goes we're back down to 3 

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

I'm thinking more along the line of having 4 CB's with experience, once williams goes we're back down to 3 

Ah I see. My apologies though I think that fourth spot is for Vyner or Ekstrand. We are buying players in but have to let some go for our academy lads to progress and I'm ok with that. Keeping Williams would mean less time for Zak. I want the academy boys to progress. Zak could have to play 10-20 games if there is an injury and turn himself into a £5m player just like that. The beauty of the academy and I don't want that stifled. 

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

I to wish the lad well in the future and thank him for what he has done for the club. But I disagree  on the issue of his ability at this level. Many of our all conquering team when promoted found the going tough. But most began to get used to it as the season progressed. But I don't think Williams ever did and still finds himself short of the quality at this level. It is a shame he could not step up but no surprise he has been sold. The only surprise is another Championship club took him.

Williams is only young and I think he'll go on to be a steady championship player. Problem is as a club we seem to be moving forward quickly which means he won't get the playing time he needs to kick on.

I thought he was great in our League 1 double winning season though and played every game I think, so like others have said he'll get a good reception from me on his return but it probably suits all parties that he moves on.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

In my opinion he's not quite good enough for a team with aspirations that we have. It's good we appear to be developing a culture where those not quite up to the mark are shipped out quickly rather than haemorrhaging wages and becoming unhappy from not playing. 

Was good in league 1, which is where Blackburn might well end up, and could well thrive there - like Agard - if they're relegated. Still young enough to improve significantly with game time so good luck to him.

Agree. We've got to have players capable of playing at the top end of the Championship and with a chance of making it in the Prem - otherwise we're just standing still. Hence the recruitment policy we have is in place. It worked for us two years ago, now we move up a level.

4 minutes ago, DingleRed said:

Agree. We've got to have players capable of playing at the top end of the Championship and with a chance of making it in the Prem - otherwise we're just standing still. Hence the recruitment policy we have is in place. It worked for us two years ago, now we move up a level.

The recruitment policy will also allow us to make a little bit of transfer money on Derrick I presume. It's much better than our previous policy of 30+ journeymen being deemed not good enough and netting the club nothing.

24 minutes ago, Tom said:

The recruitment policy will also allow us to make a little bit of transfer money on Derrick I presume. It's much better than our previous policy of 30+ journeymen being deemed not good enough and netting the club nothing.

Yup. We will have made a hefty profit on 3 fringe players all because of our young player policy. Sure everyone wants to buy one for 1-2m and sell for 8-12m like Kodjia but any profit is exceptional. With our more recent ones you could expect to make a few mil at least of each one of they develop like they could but can't knock the business a few summers ago where we've made over a mil profit on players from that window a lone. Probably pays most their wages for the 2 years here. 

Archived