IGNORED

What kind of music were city playing when you first went to Ashton Gate?

Midred

1 hour ago, bs3 said:

I also remember the Carrot Crunchers ( what was the singers name) doing a version of "Glory glory Bristol City.

Ps I remember it was Shag Connors. 

I had that single! Always went tingly at the recording of the crowd singing "COME ON YOU REDS" - played it endlessly 

27 minutes ago, East Yorkshire CideRed said:

Weirdly, I remember the 1973 hit "Top of the world" by The Carpenters being played over the Ashton Gate PA system. Not the most up-to-date of music choices considering my first match was in 1987!

Just saw @PolskRed remembers it too! I wasn't imagining it then.

Every time I hear it now brings back great memories. :yes:

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

I had that single! Always went tingly at the recording of the crowd singing "COME ON YOU REDS" - played it endlessly 

It was released in '82, on Carrot Records, by 'Shag Connor's Carrot Crunchers', with proceeds going to BCFC (1982) Ltd.

A side was 'Bristol City Trilogy', the 3 songs being 'On Bristol City', There'll always be a Bristol' and 'Glory, Glory Bristol City.'

B side, 'When the Red Red Robin Comes Bob Bob Bobbin' Along....'

My copy is signed by Shag and all the Carrot Crunchers - courtesy of my driving instructor who was a friend of theirs - and wishing me good luck for my test.

The 'CITY, CITY, CITY' chants are at the end of Glory, Glory, Bristol City, with 'Come on You Reds' chants at the end of Red Red Robin.

Great singalong - I defy any City fan not to!

I reckon this rendition of Red Red Robin is superb, easily my favourite of all the versions I've heard, and my ritual ever since has been to play it on full volume on the morning of the first game of the season. :yes:

12 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I distinctly remember Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life being played after a night game v Birmingham a few years ago..................:grr:

I take it that we lost then and they couldn't play Congratulations. 

25 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It was released in '82, on Carrot Records, by 'Shag Connor's Carrot Crunchers', with proceeds going to BCFC (1982) Ltd.

A side was 'Bristol City Trilogy', the 3 songs being 'On Bristol City', There'll always be a Bristol' and 'Glory, Glory Bristol City.'

My copy is signed by Shag and all the Carrot Crunchers - courtesy of my driving instructor who was a friend of theirs - and wishing me good luck for my test.

The 'CITY, CITY, CITY' chants are at the end of Glory, Glory, Bristol City, with 'Come on You Reds' chants at the end of Red Red Robin.

I reckon this rendition of Red Red Robin is superb, easily my favourite of all the versions I've heard, and my ritual ever since has been to play it on full volume on the morning of the first game of the season. :yes:

I'd forgotten about that single! I used to play it all the time as well when I was a boy and loved the crowd chants at the end of the songs. It might still be at my parents' house somewhere - I'll have to try to dig it out.

Very fond memories of Congratulations and Top of the World being played - part of very vivid memories I have of going to AG in the early 80s, along with the smell of the pitch combined with cigarette/cigar smoke and the sound of the lone guy in the Williams Stand (then called the Grandstand) shouting "Come on you reds" at the top of his vouce.

8 minutes ago, Offside said:

I'd forgotten about that single! I used to play it all the time as well when I was a boy and loved the crowd chants at the end of the songs. It might still be at my parents' house somewhere - I'll have to try to dig it out.

Very fond memories of Congratulations and Top of the World being played - part of very vivid memories I have of going to AG in the early 80s, along with the smell of the pitch combined with cigarette/cigar smoke and the sound of the lone guy in the Williams Stand (then called the Grandstand) shouting "Come on you reds" at the top of his vouce.

Ah Tony Harling from Hemel Hempstead if I remember correctly, didn't he fall out with the club and start supporting someone else?

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Don't know about him, but Herb Alpert was quite popular !

The Herb Alpert {Spanish flea) was played at Torquay late 60s early 70s.

Back in the day when they were in the Third tier.

Most games kicked off at 19.30 Saturday night with crowds of 10, 11,000 at times. It was often said the owners didn't want to go up!!

But good times there at the time. Bet the small band of true fans they have left would love those days again.

,  10 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Most games kicked off at 19.30 Saturday night with crowds of 10, 11,000 at times. It was often said the owners didn't want to go up!!

But good times there at the time. Bet the small band of true fans they have left would love those days again.

sorry to rely to my own post  but can remember so many Torquay players (my 2nd team)

micky cave. Jim Fryatt, Andy Donnelly keeper, HE was nearly as  good as Gibson and about as tall.

But you only have one team in your life and f... its us.

30 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Did they really get that many ?

3 hours ago, Offside said:

Port said Red ... meant to enclose your Harling post quote here... didn't work for some reason.

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I always assumed that he'd croaked.

26 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`m sure I heard that too.

http://www.bcfc3lions.co.uk/page37.html

9 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Noggers any way you can get it onto MP3 or even tape for me? I'll happily buy you a few pints but what I would give to hear those songs again! I remember I emblazoned the blank white sleeve with BCFC and the Robin badge in my youthful writing. 

Archived