Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

havanatopia

The Queens Park Rangers v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Good day everyone,

This is without doubt the saddest match day thread I have ever written. I have no possibility to even begin to study and research our opposition this evening. Clearly you will all ask why that should be.

Yesterday at 0730 UK time my 95 year old father died. 

Dad was a Burma RAF veteran who served as a Corporal Radio operator directing the Bristol Beaufighters in to bomb the Japanese positions in what ultimately became the longest battle of the Second World War; The Imphal Kohima campaign. Relatively little was written about this long struggle yet the victory that ultimately followed turned the tide of the war in Asia. My father, although one might consider had a great innings, was taken a little before I wanted him to go. He also wanted that letter from the Queen and I wanted to write his memoirs.

He was a life long Bristol City fan. Let us win tonight and win promotion for him, for Gerry Gow for all those who will not see the promised land again.

God bless everyone and god bless my Dad. I miss him too much already; back to Blighty it is for me next week and I shall watch a City match as a result entirely in his honour.

Love to all.

Rich.

Thanks James. Off to the land of nod to me.. i know City will win to tonight so no need for me to stay up. I will really look forward to reading the thread one by one tomorrow morning when I wake up. UTC .

My condolences Rich, to you and to your family. Although your dad had a great and long life, it's still your dad and the pain is the same for all of us.

Take care and remember the happy times. R.I.P.

COYR, let's do it for Richs' dad and for Gerry!

15 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

This is without doubt the saddest match day thread I have ever written. I have no possibility to even begin to study and research our opposition this evening. Clearly you will all ask why that should be.

Dad was a Burma RAF veteran who served as a Corporal Radio operator directing the Bristol Beaufighters in to bomb the Japanese positions in what ultimately became the longest battle of the Second World War; The Imphal Kohima campaign. Relatively little was written about this long struggle yet the victory that ultimately followed turned the tide of the war in Asia. My father, although one might consider had a great innings, was taken a little before I wanted him to go. He also wanted that letter from the Queen and I wanted to write his memoirs.

He was a life long Bristol City fan. Let us win tonight and win promotion for him, for Gerry Gow for all those who will not see the promised land again.

God bless everyone and god bless my Dad. I miss him too much already; back to Blighty it is for me next week and I shall watch a City match as a result entirely in his honour.

Love to all.

Rich.

Condensed Version

Not appropriate except to say:

RIP Rich's Dad and may you sleep peacefully

Will miss you on Chat today!

All to many of us have been through this. I'll make sure I have a beer for Dad later!

Many Condolences RO!

Condolences Rich, and Safe journey Rich's Dad.

Something's gonna click with the team tonight. I have that feeling. City win and tongues will be wagging.

Condolences Rich and family.

Your dad has now got one of the best seats in the house to watch City. 

My thoughts are with you. RIP.

I think that this is the earliest I have ever posted on a match thread. I usually wait until we are at least one down....

...but condolences fella. Hope the boys give you at least a little positive. x

3 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Condolences Rich and family.

Your dad has now got one of the best seats in the house to watch City. 

My thoughts are with you. RIP.

Probally sat in the middle of Gerry Gow and Big John as we speak. What a seat that must be

Condolences to @havanatopia....I'm sure the mighty reds will do your dad proud tonight 

44 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

Love to all.

Rich.

Bless you Hav,and may your dear dad rest in peace-he will always look over you,and has the best of all seat's for tonight..sincerest condolences to you and yours..

Condolences sent to you at the loss of a cherished, love one . I hope your memories are strong and clear. Let's hope the City bring you some small consolation tonight . 

Sorry to hear that Hav, your Dad sounds like he was a true gentlemen and one of a generation that we all should be so very proud and thankful for. All the best and my condolences to you and your family. 

3 minutes ago, Tre Bong said:

CvEWOXUXgAAErkX.jpeg

City need to ensure Tammy isn't isolated up front as he was against Cardiff. Hopefully Bobby Reid will play in an advanced midfield role and not drop too deep  

8 minutes ago, Tre Bong said:

CvEWOXUXgAAErkX.jpeg

I knew the whole Tammy being unfit was a game! 

That is a potentially attacking line up. 

And of course, deepest sympathy to @havanatopia at such a sad time. 

15 minutes ago, lenred said:

Sorry to hear that Hav, your Dad sounds like he was a true gentlemen and one of a generation that we all should be so very proud and thankful for. All the best and my condolences to you and your family. 

Can only add my condolences and a wish for three points tonight as a small tribute. 

Before the team came out, I said a draw. Looking at that side, it looks strong and balanced! I'm banking on an away victory here. 

Very sorry to hear that Hav, hope City do you and your father proud tonight!

That is one hell of a team. And look at the bench. So much potential there. Hoping Brownhill covers well when tomlin drifts inside. Glad that with Reids legs in behind tammy, tammy should not be so isolated. And Matthews and odowda on the right could cause huge problems to any team in this league. I can't see why we can't win this one.

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

Love to all.

Rich.

Hav, condolences to you and your family on your father's passing. And thank you for that beautiful post at a difficult time.

Good day everyone,

Love to all.

Rich.

Condensed version.

Very sad news . Match day thread of no importance.

Condolences Rich.

A very attacking side, if not a little lightweight.

I'm in the Pack / GON partnership away from home supporting group as it's a lot more solid but LJ is certainly playing a very positive side tonight.

Rich - Your Dad was obviously a fine servant to Queen and Country. A very sad loss. I hope LJ and the lads can bring some smiles back to this thread tonight.

Condolences to the OP.

Be good to get a decent result tonight but the first post just reminds us all it really isn't that important.

So sorry to hear of your Father passing away Hav, Sincere condolences, we recently lost a good friend who died at the same age, he came through the Second world War with Russia and was also in the Russia/ Finnish War. A few years ago while out for a walk with his wife a drunk fell into him on the pavement and he hit his head against the ground, although he recovered he was never the same again. It's very sad that after all he went through and survived that a simple accident should have finished him, even though it took a few years.  Once again, my sincere condolences and I know that like us you will always remember what he did in his life and that he was a great Father to you.  

@havanatopia please accept my deepest condolences. Emotionally you must be all over the place, it's always a shock to suddenly have the realisation that a loved one has gone. Look after yourself and it's OK to cry and laugh, feel angry, sad, or just be numb and feel not much at all.

I'm sure he will be in a better place looking down and sat amongst friends and fellow reds during matches. 

Take care. M x

Thoughts are with you, Rich.  Your father's life sounds like it was full of incredible moments and unforgettable experiences.  I'm sure you will still write his memoirs and your father will be with you every step of the way.

City to win tonight 2-0.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS