IGNORED

The Official Birmingham City v Bristol City Match Day Thread

11 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Still don't understand why we bring on Wilbs instead of Engvall ?

I'm with you. We weren't struggling to create chances today which is what Aaron is best at. He occupies defenders when they're tough to break down. Birmingham were beaten today and maybe a quicker more mobile target would've been the better shout. I get LJ said he isn't ready yet but 15-20 minutes today wouldn't have hurt and IMO would've been a better option than AW today. 

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I'm all for the future of the club but something needs to change for the now. Next weekend won't be easy to pick up a point let alone 3. A loss next week and a few other results against us and we're only 5 above the relegation spots. It's not a foregone conclusion we stay up. Yes today we played a tough team but we had them and couldn't put it away and got punished. Need to sort this out quick. 1 win in 7 against beatable teams is not good enough for a team that spent 10-11m on playing staff in a summer. Yea we need more to be contenders but that's enough to be beating teams like Birmingham, Cardiff and QPR. It's not good enough at the moment. 

Trouble is Joe, we don't pick the order in which we play matches. Cardiff had a new boss and raised their game. QPR, we always struggle there and could have won a very tight game. Today...I couldn't see us winning and it sounds as if we did better than I expected. Next week I'lll be at Reading, they're on fire. Brighton are in a different league. These are all tough games...and it was obvious they'd be tough games before this run started. Even Barnsley pulled one back with more or less the last kick of the game. As I said elsewhere, perspective needed. We don't have the squad to walk this division, but we can compete. I see that as improvement.We are, as everyone has said, a work in progress...

7 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Played very well second half-by far the better side.. two top class saves kept them in it,their keeper mom so says a lot.

Dead ball delivery dire,short of options up front-created quite a number of chances,so many that you just have to take one at this level..or. .......

Worked hard,good energy,we will play worse and win.

January window will be interesting.

Thanks for the report...and the refreshing realism!

I wasn't there and it always comes across differently on radio but sounded like we really should have taken some of the chances created 2nd half. Bit of a conundrum because I still feel we need to work another striker into the starting line up but it did sound like we created enough good chances to have scored a couple.

I realise Johnson must know more than any of us about Engval but he played majority of game  against Hull and looked pretty lively and when subbed didn't look shattered after playing against some big solid centre backs. I don't really get how he couldn't start featuring. Could it be his injury is pretty dodgy, but then why bother starting against Hull if that risky or even  having him on bench?

23 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If we're "shit" what does that make the 14 teams below us? We're a mid table side in mid table. Peaks and troughs inevitable over a 46 game season, and we're currently in a fairly minor trough.

Think I'll be giving OTIB a miss for the rest of the evening, the inevitable overreactions and complete absence of perspective are going to drive me nuts.

The most sensible thing I've read all day. I might join you in that also.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Could be worse, some fans on Facebook are calling for LJ to be sacked.

"if we want to go to go up this season LJ must go now"

No way will we or expect to go up this season. As long as we don't go on a really bad run and end up fighting relegation, surely this season most fans will be happy.

Edited by EstoniaTallinnRed
  • Like 1

Pre Season Excitement and Optimism :)

Tammy Arrives :)

City start well. :) 

Kodjia Leaves :(

Lansdown explains why..:aok2: after all he knows best.

City continue to win without Kodjia.  :)

Kodjia starts slowly at Villa :rolleyes:

City lose a couple :cool2: no problem.

City lose a couple more :blush: 

Maybe we should have kept Kodjia until we had a replacement. 

City lose again... :blink:

But we are only 3 points outside the play offs having one won in seven; remarkable how close this league is apart from Newcastle and Rotherham.

Chumawumba sounds about right... for now.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Pre Season Excitement and Optimism :)

Tammy Arrives :)

City start well. :) 

Kodjia Leaves :(

Lansdown explains why..:aok2: after all he knows best.

City continue to win without Kodjia.  :)

Kodjia starts slowly at Villa :rolleyes:

City lose a couple :cool2: no problem.

City lose a couple more :blush: 

Maybe we should have kept Kodjia until we had a replacement. 

City lose again... :blink:

But we are only 3 points outside the play offs having one won in seven; remarkable how close this league is apart from Newcastle and Rotherham.

Chumawumba sounds about right... for now.

Who does Chumawumba play for, can we sign him in the January window?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Trouble is Joe, we don't pick the order in which we play matches. Cardiff had a new boss and raised their game. QPR, we always struggle there and could have won a very tight game. Today...I couldn't see us winning and it sounds as if we did better than I expected. Next week I'lll be at Reading, they're on fire. Brighton are in a different league. These are all tough games...and it was obvious they'd be tough games before this run started. Even Barnsley pulled one back with more or less the last kick of the game. As I said elsewhere, perspective needed. We don't have the squad to walk this division, but we can compete. I see that as improvement.We are, as everyone has said, a work in progress...

I get emotional after a loss and today sounded a good performance. I get that and I'm glad we've played well and created chances against a very organised team. 

And I get we've had some interesting scenarios these last few weeks but I don't think it changes things in my mind. QPR and Birmingham haven't been happy hunting grounds but that's all in the past and has no bearing on the current squad. We have the power to change all that and IMO we have the squad to compete with anyone. That's why I get frustrated. I don't want to get complacent with them. They're talented and can finish top 8-10 right now. 

Ive said it a thousand times. It's not all about this year and I get there will be ups and downs. I just feel games like today and QPR are matches we need to start winning every once in awhile to grow as a club. It's just as important as improving the stadium, or the academy or adding new coaches. It's all part of growing as a club. A few wins at places like QPR and Birmingham or Leeds helps the club grow as well. I want to see us get a few decent away wins and then we'll really be on our way. We have a chance next week but it won't be easy. 

• Like 6
21 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Could be worse, some fans on Facebook are calling for LJ to be sacked.

"if we want to go to go up this season LJ must go now"

Ridiculous isn't it?! Seen enough progression since January that LJ has to stay. 

He's doing a decent job I say. As long as the team progress on the 2nd half of last seasonand build a team worthy of challenging for playoffs/promotion in a couple of seasons then surely we should be happy enough :)