IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

22 minutes ago, TomF said:

Because root isn’t a captain.  Hopefully this is the series that finishes him.  Cluesless team, clueless decisions

What really does my head in is that Silverwood, Root have been banging on about the Ashes being the goal / long term priority for a couple of years now and how much planning has gone in to it.

Covid and the weather cannot be helped but you can’t tell me part of the plan was ever leaving over 1000 test wickets out of the side on day 1 at the Gabba. 

Both teams are undercooked, Aus have barely played any Test cricket all year. Win the toss, bowl on a green pitch, overhead conditions and put pressure on. Perfect conditions for Broad to have one of his special spells.

We all know from previous Ashes series how important the opening session / day / test is.

All momentum now with Australia, they have a fantastic bowling attack but our batting line up is so meek and fragile, the body language is so deferential from most of them. 

• Like 2

If a game was being played on the exact same pitch in the exact same conditions but in Birmingham rather than Brisbane we’d have seen Broad and Anderson opening the bowling last night.

As it is, those two players have been left out and Root decided he had to have a bat because of a decision Nasser Hussain made 19 years ago.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

36 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

If a game was being played on the exact same pitch in the exact same conditions but in Birmingham rather than Brisbane we’d have seen Broad and Anderson opening the bowling last night.

As it is, those two players have been left out and Root decided he had to have a bat because of a decision Nasser Hussain made 19 years ago.

It was nowhere near as bad a decision. England had to get through the first hour then batting became easier as Pope and Buttler proved sadly they lost too many in that first hour. It was a 50/50 call. Cummins said he would have batted.

50 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I do think the last paragraph of yours has a element of truth in it. 

25 minutes ago, Super said:

It was nowhere near as bad a decision. England had to get through the first hour then batting became easier as Pope and Buttler proved sadly they lost too many in that first hour. It was a 50/50 call. Cummins said he would have batted.

Underprepared green seamer with rain around. Your strength is seam bowling and your weakness is top order batting. How on earth is it a 50/50 decision?

What Cummins would have done with a completely different team is irrelevant, and anyway Mike Hussey on commentary said Smith and Labuschagne on the outfield warming up were basically celebrating when they heard England were batting.

36 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Underprepared green seamer with rain around. Your strength is seam bowling and your weakness is top order batting. How on earth is it a 50/50 decision?

What Cummins would have done with a completely different team is irrelevant, and anyway Mike Hussey on commentary said Smith and Labuschagne on the outfield warming up were basically celebrating when they heard England were batting.

Most in the game from what I heard didn't think it was the worst call. Best chance of us winning was getting runs on the board first up but batting first or second makes little difference with batsmen that aren't good enough.

I'm not sure what was worst, batting first on that green pitch under cloudy skies or omitting Broad or Anderson (I don't think both of them should play this Test ahead of next week's day-night Test in Adelaide).

Either way, it's more shite captaincy from Root and then Burns goes and sets the tone for the series by missing a leg-stump half-volley that should've been slapped to the leg-side boundary. 

I've always rated Cummins and Hazelwood and expect them to be all over our weak batting line-up in this series. 

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That no ball from Stokesy could be big... Good start from England tho

Maybe deserved to have 2 or 3 down... 

Stokes always pushes his luck with no balls, mate. I can accept that to a degree, but not Burns spilling the simplest of slip catches. 

Robinson bowled well, lovely ball to get rid of Green, although I can’t get my head around the selection of Leach in this Test. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tin said:

Stokes always pushes his luck with no balls, mate. I can accept that to a degree, but not Burns spilling the simplest of slip catches. 

Robinson bowled well, lovely ball to get rid of Green, although I can’t get my head around the selection of Leach in this Test. 

So they can say he had his chance and didn`t take it despite him being given in Phil Tuffnell`s words, a hospital pass.

Back to water carrier for the rest of the series now no doubt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, super slick said:

Anybody else expecting to wake up tomorrow morning to England at least 6 down?

I don’t think you’d get very good odds at the bookies, put it that way. 

Feel a bit for Leach who wasn’t given a chance all summer and then gets chucked the ball on pitch offering nothing. It takes a few games to get into bowling out in the middle, not 11 overs in 8 months

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I don’t think you’d get very good odds at the bookies, put it that way. 

Feel a bit for Leach who wasn’t given a chance all summer and then gets chucked the ball on pitch offering nothing. It takes a few games to get into bowling out in the middle, not 11 overs in 8 months

The aussies got after him like they were always going to do. Shame we won't do the same with Lyon.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

The aussies got after him like they were always going to do. Shame we won't do the same with Lyon.

It’s a good ploy, Marcus Trescothic was brilliant enough to do similar to the opening bowlers in 2005, and as many of the batsmen that followed him lower down the order have said, he had a huge effect and influence on England winning that series.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TomF said:

More of the same tomorrow lads. I fear a refreshed bowling attack with the new ball available after 10 overs will be the key.  

Maybe, but at least it should give them a bit of confidence that the Aussie attack is not that great without the right conditions.