IGNORED

The official Bristol City FC v Aston Villa FC match day thread

Septic Peg

Good game tonight, needs a centre forward of quality and a play maker in midfield and this City side could become a threat in the Championship. 

Get the cheque book out Lansdown as now feels like there is something building into a good team tonight.

Now feeling positive for me! Great atmosphere tonight, love Friday night games.

1 minute ago, RichardEdd said:

Its law 12 - should be able to find that online. It's quite clear that this isn't handball having had a look at it again. 

I think the third one was the type where I would say 'I have seen them given'.

It was in fairness ball to arm, but his arm was well out. Think the refs just about got it right, but do not think there would have been huge arguments if it was given.

1 minute ago, Tom Fleuriot said:

Only if you think Jon Terry stands with his arms like that when he isn't expecting a shot or cross, mate. 

Did you even read the link you posted?! The link has the exact definition (which this doesn't satisfy) and one interpretation by Elleray.

He mentions two specifics:
- Did the arm go towards the ball in a manner to block it? No it didn't.
- Is the hand in a position where it would not normally be? Mid-tackle, no it wasn't.

I despair.

Just now, nebristolred said:

Did you even read the link you posted?! The link has the exact definition (which this doesn't satisfy) and one interpretation by Elleray.

He mentions two specifics:
- Did the arm go towards the ball in a manner to block it? No it didn't.
- Is the hand in a position where it would not normally be? Mid-tackle, no it wasn't.

I despair.

Keep it dignified, yeah? Yes I even read it. See your second bullet point. And even read the points I've made consistently.  Of course it was in a position where it would not normally be. Terry has been doing this for years. 

17 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

But you didn't answer my point mate. Arms out doesn't automatically equal a pen. If you've got time to react or you're obviously going to block the ball then it's clearly a pen. But he had less than half a second to react to that, and the offence is deliberate handball. Not a pen.

Ok, I'll answer your point. If you stick your arm out like that and the ball strikes it, 9 times out of 10 the ref gives a pen. Whether that's right by the letter of the law is another matter... so on that basis we were unfortunate there. 

2 minutes ago, RichardEdd said:

Law 12 - The ref shall take the following into consideration:

The movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand).

The distance between the player and the ball.

The position of the hand does not necessarily mean there is an infringement.

Law 13 - if your name is John Terry then none of law 12 applies....:yawn:

1 minute ago, Tom Fleuriot said:

Keep it dignified, yeah? Yes I even read it. See your second bullet point. And even read the points I've made consistently.  Of course it was in a position where it would not normally be. Terry has been doing this for years. 

Fair enough, apologies.

But back to the point, that arm is not in an unnatural position for mid-tackle whatsoever. You can argue all you like whether he's been doing it, it's legal. That arm IS where it would usually be. You cannot expect defenders to have their arms pinned to their sides for challenges.

8 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Mate please know what you're talking about before saying something. Letter of the law (if we're being specific) says 100% no penalty. It has to be 100% deliberate if we go by the letter of the law, but none of us do, and no ref's do either.

This thread just going to prove that 99% of football fans have no idea.

Its a pen.

Have a proper watch, maybe put some glasses on.

3 minutes ago, Jacki said:

Ok, I'll answer your point. If you stick your arm out like that and the ball strikes it, 9 times out of 10 the ref gives a pen. Whether that's right by the letter of the law is another matter... so on that basis we were unfortunate there. 

Again, not true, and missing the point I was making, but let's agree to disagree.

9 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

Defence were mustard.

wingers didn't stop.

pack and Korey not the required standard 

front two ineffective

no plan b. 

Defo pen tho...

Pack turns like a tanker.. Smith just does not seem to affect the game.

We need some quality and presence in midfield.

I think the team in general look a bit more resilient, not just the defence. Better shape, more compact although I do think we still sit off a bit too much. 

Last season we'd have lost that having conceded the equaliser so quickly. I think we'll get a few more draws from the sort of game that we might have lost previously. That said, we do look a bit anaemic going forward against the better sides. 

Archived