Scott Golbourne

Horduryouthinkiam

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You post some insightful, interesting and brain stimulating stuff don't you

Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Bob........us the  :sleeping:  emoji. 

Emojis have a greater Impact.....

handbags at dawn, do you both have seconds, remember the rules two paces turn and swing may the best handbag win.:dunno:

Just a completely random thought.

Pretty sure Scott is not really in our medium term planning at the moment, but should we have any more injuries in the back line, one to consider bringing back in January, at least to the end of the season? An extra squad option at little extra cost? As far as I can tell, he has been at least getting regular football.

10 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Just a completely random thought.

Pretty sure Scott is not really in our medium term planning at the moment, but should we have any more injuries in the back line, one to consider bringing back in January, at least to the end of the season? An extra squad option at little extra cost? As far as I can tell, he has been at least getting regular football.

Ok for left footed defenders though. Baker is back, Bryan is a mainstay and Magnússon backs up both. Then if it came to it, I’d rather give games to Lloyd Kelly as he has got a big part to play at BCFC in the near future whereas SG does not. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Ok for left footed defenders though. Baker is back, Bryan is a mainstay and Magnússon backs up both. Then if it came to it, I’d rather give games to Lloyd Kelly as he has got a big part to play at BCFC in the near future whereas SG does not. 

While agreeing with the last sentence of your post, I can’t help but feel that Baker was played more through necessity rather than him being 100% fit, if Wright hadn’t been banned & Pisano injured, we could of maybe gone without risking Baker but we were kind of down to the bare bones at the back as playing Kelly or Vyner against Cardiff would of meant Colin targeting them as inexperienced links.

Now we have 2 weeks without a game, it allows us to integrate the younger lads into the set-up & gives Baker a chance to rest his dodgy knee.

As we know, The Championship is a huge step-up from U23 football & if we ended up with both Vyner & Kelly in our back four, it would put added pressure on our defence.

29 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

While agreeing with the last sentence of your post, I can’t help but feel that Baker was played more through necessity rather than him being 100% fit, if Wright hadn’t been banned & Pisano injured, we could of maybe gone without risking Baker but we were kind of down to the bare bones at the back as playing Kelly or Vyner against Cardiff would of meant Colin targeting them as inexperienced links.

Now we have 2 weeks without a game, it allows us to integrate the younger lads into the set-up & gives Baker a chance to rest his dodgy knee.

As we know, The Championship is a huge step-up from U23 football & if we ended up with both Vyner & Kelly in our back four, it would put added pressure on our defence.

It would add pressure but I’d rather them play and get the experience. Maybe not both at the same time but when someone is missing. Some young players just need a few games to settle. Some need a few games here and there and years to mature. Vyner falls into the latter. Kelly we don’t know but the Watford game suggests he could be more up for it than other young players. You have to give young players changes and live with some mistakes. You see teams like Spurs do it and even more throughout europe. We have a good enough squad to fit players in here and there. Hopefully LJ feels he can afford to do this more throughout the season but probably a bit early yet. In the meantime, I’d rather do less of the putting one of our best midfielders into defense and blood the youth but get it is a squad game and Mags had earned a game

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It would add pressure but I’d rather them play and get the experience. Maybe not both at the same time but when someone is missing. Some young players just need a few games to settle. Some need a few games here and there and years to mature. Vyner falls into the latter. Kelly we don’t know but the Watford game suggests he could be more up for it than other young players. You have to give young players changes and live with some mistakes. You see teams like Spurs do it and even more throughout europe. We have a good enough squad to fit players in here and there. Hopefully LJ feels he can afford to do this more throughout the season but probably a bit early yet. In the meantime, I’d rather do less of the putting one of our best midfielders into defense and blood the youth but get it is a squad game and Mags had earned a game

With the success we've had the young players won't get so many chances, you can't give them a few games to get up to speed or the team could drop out of the top 6. At the moment promotion to the Prem is a distinct possibility and that won't be put at risk by giving young inexperienced players game time unless there's no other option. If we eventually drop to mid-table then things could change.

13 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

There are particular games you can afford to take that risk in but I wouldn’t say a derby game (as much as we have one nowadays) is one it should be done in, especially against a Colin team who would target those players & especially in a game where the 3 points mattered so much. If we had been against a Burton or Bolton etc it could of been understandable or if we were sat comfortably with little to play for in mid-table but that’s not the case, we are after every point because every point matters.

I can see Vyner & Kelly both getting their opportunities, probably not together in the same team without one of them having already established themselves in the team but yesterday would of been a huge risk.

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

With the success we've had the young players won't get so many chances, you can't give them a few games to get up to speed or the team could drop out of the top 6. At the moment promotion to the Prem is a distinct possibility and that won't be put at risk by giving young inexperienced players game time unless there's no other option. If we eventually drop to mid-table then things could change.

I am not saying play them over anyone in our starting XI. I am saying I would prefer they play when someone is out instead of using someone out of position. A one off game against Cardiff is fine to play Korey Smith. Though away to SW I think you have to give ZV another go. Assuming of course Baker is back to full fitness. 

That said, it would be nice to see them get a few games. I would like to get promoted as much as the next person but what if we don’t get promoted? What if then we lose say Joe Bryan and Josh Brownhill? You could say not getting promoted and losing a couple key players is more likely than getting promoted. There are ways you can get a young player in the team. We have been told these players are good enough to compete here and not go on loan. Then they need the games here and there. 

You could get Kelly on at LB against Preston with Joe Bryan playing in front of him. Vyner with COD in front of him has worked this year. Villa have played some of their youth this season and it has started to real some rewards. Forest have quite a few young ones playing that have come through their academy and contributing to the first team. They have been given games and taken their chance. No reason we can’t do it too. 

Interesting comments, particularly about playing some of the younger players. If we drift in to a safe but nothing really to play for situation with ten games to go or so, then that might be an ideal time to give them a decent run.

Will be interesting to see what happens in January. I suppose I was thinking if we pick up another key injury, then Scott back in the squad at least gives us a bit more cover, for what is a long haul to the end of the season. Entirely agree it is hardly building for the future. It is uninspiring and all that, but think I might be tempted to bring him back, depending on what the situation on injuries is at that time.

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

Interesting comments, particularly about playing some of the younger players. If we drift in to a safe but nothing really to play for situation with ten games to go or so, then that might be an ideal time to give them a decent run.

Will be interesting to see what happens in January. I suppose I was thinking if we pick up another key injury, then Scott back in the squad at least gives us a bit more cover, for what is a long haul to the end of the season. Entirely agree it is hardly building for the future. It is uninspiring and all that, but think I might be tempted to bring him back, depending on what the situation on injuries is at that time.

Scott is a solid left back with champ pedigree. Maybe not first choice but he lives that position and being captain hindsight I dont think he would have been caught out like Maggers yesterday.

Previous managers have shied away from playing our young players. Cotterill was the most recent example. I get the sense that LJ is doing everything he can to get Kelly and Vyner the experience they need without dropping them into career-wrecking situations. They're clearly part of future plans but even with a growing injury list, Johnson is protecting them.

Bringing academy talent through is part of Lee Johnson's mandate. We can't keep talking about Reid and Bryan who have nearly 300 first team appearances between them. There is a need to make a success of Vyner and Kelly.

Archived