IGNORED

Deadline Day - with Chris Wilder

Davefevs

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting:

well worth watching the whole 9 minutes.

Very interesting. Would imagine it was a similar set of events for us ie MA on the blower to agents/clubs and LJ playing pool/making the odd call to players to try and convince them.

Poor Jerome Sinclair. Sat in Sheffield train station for hours whilst his agent tries to milk it.

And that's what it comes to. Agents are just cashing in. Milking it for all its worth.

Oh and 'Arry taking the piss with saying a free first and then a fee and Fleetwood drastically upping the price, slashing it and then upping the price again for Devante Cole. Ridiculous. I hope when all the bids for Flinty came in, we didn't do the same. 

Good spot Fevs. The problem is it seems Agents are a law unto themselves and aren't governed by any proper rules which actually stop this happening. When it comes to an individual agent having that kind of control over a player and the ultimate say, when that player and their club have agreed on a deal, then there are serious problems with this game. How did it come down to Sinclair being sat in a Sheffield train station awaiting instructions! Farce! Agents shouldn't have this much control when ultimately it comes down to how much money the agent can personally pocket. 

23 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Very interesting. Would imagine it was a similar set of events for us ie MA on the blower to agents/clubs and LJ playing pool/making the odd call to players to try and convince them.

Poor Jerome Sinclair. Sat in Sheffield train station for hours whilst his agent tries to milk it.

And that's what it comes to. Agents are just cashing in. Milking it for all its worth.

Oh and 'Arry taking the piss with saying a free first and then a fee and Fleetwood drastically upping the price, slashing it and then upping the price again for Devante Cole. Ridiculous. I hope when all the bids for Flinty came in, we didn't do the same. 

A great pity Jerome Sinclair wasn't sat in Cowes train station as at least his agent would've found it more productive to milk it.

Greay post thanks. Its a travesty but for once i think ot may be worse in other countries. Players association and LMA shoukd start a reputation index based on anonymous inputs from members. That is how one industry i worked in managed reputation management. It would soon smoke out the dodgy agents

The clubs behaviour is more difficult to police.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Not a wheeler dealer though. :whistle:

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

**** agents. Seriously, what a parasitic cancer they are.

There was a fictional prog on TV where a promising & talented 17 year old decides he doesn't want to be a footballer after all and do something else with his life. His agent sued him for loss of potential earnings. How long before that occurs in real life?

Good little glimpse into the dark world!

The role of 'agents' in the football business has exploded in recent years. ZiderEyed used the phrase 'parasitic cancer' and it does ring true to many people - fans and clubs alike. The amounts of cash prevalent today has brought about a serious shift in focus. The method of causing a massive rise in prices is akin to those merchants who speculate on the world money markets. Do you realise how much money is swirling in fuel, food, commodities and the sort? And that will inevitably end up with higher costs to those who are last in the chain - the customers! One potential aspect that might make me smirk though is the burden of chaperoning that some have to do in order to prevent their valuable assets clientele from crashing and burning. How many lads think they are God's gift and behave like children, only for the agent to step in and mop up the mess?

I wonder what the old boys would have thought of things nowadays. What would Big John Atyeo and his comrades have made of the way it works now? A missed opportunity or a mockery of the Beautiful Game? Players or whores? Wasn't it old Warnock who mentioned that every manager has to come to terms with the fact that one or two of his squad are there purely for the lucre?

The Transfer Deadline in itself is not helping the situation. The pressure to gather new blood is artificially constrained and that only reveals the genuine thoughts and values of those concerned. It reminds me greatly of the Draft Day in the NFL; at least the coverage provides some of the excitement that can be generated, although the horse trading takes place behind closed doors, naturally.

So Devante Cole went from £0 to £200,000 to £1.2M back to £200,000 in the space of one day?

And after all that, he's still playing for Fleetwood when he had a chance to play for Sheffield United?!!

If I was Cole, I would be sacking my agent after that farce.  Talk about career blocking.

Archived