IGNORED

England Fans: Opinions?

SARJ

Recently got involved in a hated discussion about the sort of people that follow England away.

Lower league lager louts giving it the billy big b*llocks seemed to be the general consensus, with so say supporters being classified as nothing more than wannabe hooligan 'belters' who give us a bad name abroad (not that it needed worsening anyways).

Do people agree with said character assasination of our people? I know a lot of City follow England away and as I know a number of said individuals it's a real mixture between your genuine football fans looking for a good enjoyable time and your absolute belters clad in Stone Island and Ralph Lauren caps thinking they're hard. 

Videos online range from certain fans seemingly having a sing-a-long/good time and not causing trouble to belters throwing beer and bottles everywhere and being general t!ts in public/p!ssing off the locals.

Thoughts on the issue? Would you follow England away knowing these types would be there?

I went to the WC in 2010 and travelled around with the England fans' football team. We played friendlies against local teams, reformed drug abusers and even played a game in a maximum security prison against the inmates. Really immersed ourselves in local culture and it was amazing. 

8 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Recently got involved in a hated discussion about the sort of people that follow England away.

Lower league lager louts giving it the billy big b*llocks seemed to be the general consensus, with so say supporters being classified as nothing more than wannabe hooligan 'belters' who give us a bad name abroad (not that it needed worsening anyways).

Do people agree with said character assasination of our people? I know a lot of City follow England away and as I know a number of said individuals it's a real mixture between your genuine football fans looking for a good enjoyable time and your absolute belters clad in Stone Island and Ralph Lauren caps thinking they're hard. 

Videos online range from certain fans seemingly having a sing-a-long/good time and not causing trouble to belters throwing beer and bottles everywhere and being general t!ts in public/p!ssing off the locals.

Thoughts on the issue? Would you follow England away knowing these types would be there?

Believe it or not, the overwhelming majority of the dozens of City fans that follow England away do not act in the slightest way as described in your post. 

Have you ever done an England away or are you just portraying what the press tell you? 

Ive been going away for about 2 years now and caught the bug instantly. I've met some wonderful lads who will be friends for life going away. 

I think your opinion is way wide of the mark. You get some belters watching England but you get belters watching city. Doesn't really represent a whole fan base. 

You also get to see fantastic places you'd probably never think of going aswell. 

23 minutes ago, SARJ said:

There are belters as you describe but it's very easy to steer clear of them and enjoy the trip the way you want to. Simply avoid any public squares in the city centre of wherever the game is, and particularly Irish/British bars.

18 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I went to the WC in 2010 and travelled around with the England fans' football team. We played friendlies against local teams, reformed drug abusers and even played a game in a maximum security prison against the inmates. Really immersed ourselves in local culture and it was amazing. 

Did you get to play against this guy?

Image result for monk mean machine

2 minutes ago, streety_bcfc said:

Did you get to play against this guy?

Image result for monk mean machine

As a 14 year old I had to play upfront against 2 serial rapists and meth addicts who shared a handful of teeth between them. Managed to lob the keeper and get interviewed ESPN, CNN and eurosport though.

6 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

I tip my hat to fans that follow England all around the world and watch the absolute crap that they have to endure.Apart from visiting places that you may never go I just don't see the attraction.

Apart from ones who sing about German Bombers.

22 minutes ago, Lita For Congo said:

Have you ever done an England away or are you just portraying what the press tell you? 

Ive been going away for about 2 years now and caught the bug instantly. I've met some wonderful lads who will be friends for life going away. 

I think your opinion is way wide of the mark. You get some belters watching England but you get belters watching city. Doesn't really represent a whole fan base. 

You also get to see fantastic places you'd probably never think of going aswell. 

Done 2 games but some time ago now (more than 10 years ago). Overall was a good laugh.

This post is based on what actual people who've been away recently have told me. As always, there's a minority and a majority. Take the City fans who go for example. I know a lot who go are proper fans, know their football but then other City fans I know who attend would make our nation a laughing stock.

I've watched England a few times away over the years. There are clearly quite a few morons but they're often diluted massively by normal fans at the bigger matches.  Best example is Euro 2004 England V Croatia where on the metro to the match we were in a train full of psychos who were scaring the locals and families. Once at the stadium there were about 30k England fans who drowned out the 'no surrender' songs every time they started with 'England we love you'.  

I massively recommend joining the "friendly fans" group who I've been twice with and done English teaching in a school - creates a much more positive image for England fans. 

54 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Don't agree with that 'general consensus' at all. 

I think if there is trouble, it is only ever a minority. Not sure why people are bothered about beer throwing, like up the lions on flag day. If you don't want to get covered in it, don't get amongst all the chanting and jumping up and down and watch from afar. It's their money on beer they're wasting not yours. 

I'm considering doing Lithuania, so yes I'd definitely follow them away.

It looks so much better than playing games at dull Wembley. (Sooner they start playing home games around the country again the better)

Slovakia at Wembley tonight will be my 151st England game. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've seen genuine disorder. 

The people I've met on my travels watching England come from all walks of life, and support a huge range of club sides. Those who go to most of the away games tend to only have two things in common: a love of football, and a love of travel. And if you want to join the travel club, the FA run a check against you before they'll let you in, and anyone with a football related police caution / arrest / banning order won't be allowed in. 

That said, the game in Dortmund earlier this year did seem to attract a number of newer fans who seemed intent on being very antisocial. Hopefully it was a one-off (Glasgow, Paris and Malta were, I believe, largely trouble free). 

Don't go myself but I go to the City with two lads that go to most away games and have done for years and they certainly aren't hooligans in any way shape or form. Just your normal run of the mill fans who love following their country as well as their club. They've tried to get me to go but I haven't as yet, mostly because England have been so bad/boring  recently that it just doesn't appeal enough so I'd rather spend my money and holidays on other trips with family and friends. Get scared off by the caps you need as well as I'd never be guaranteed a ticket so you risk not getting a match ticket when you've already spent out on travel and digs. Wish I'd met these lads 20 years ago when I was in my late teens, would've been a different story I'm sure but I just can't justify the time and expense now with a family. 

i have been going since 1990 on and off and it has given me some off the best times of my life. went to malta last week with a leeds fan i meet on a coach going to poland in 1991 and stayed mates with ever since, so yes meet some really good lads who you can keep in touch with and meet on other trips( so much easier now with fb,mobil phones ) then 30 years ago

regarding trouble like watching city ,times have changed if you still want it then yes you can find it but on the whole it easy to avoid (moscow 07 was a bit different) but there do seem to be a few younger fans that like to throw the odd chair and bitch amoung them selfs creeping into the away following but these places are a lot cheaper to get to now with low cost airlines,  

as long as i can afford to go ill never stop going away , i love it and yes you do get some shit games but dont you watching city ? i have been to places that i would have never of gone to and meet fans of other teams and had a laugh and drink that you would never do at home (even the odd gas head) and my only rgreat is no going as soon as i left school and missing mexico in 86 and germany 88 , would love to chat to bob bob super bob who i think is a little older then me.

the world cup next year? im not so sure, i think to travel around will take a large amount of money just du to the size of the country and time zones ect and finding digs wont be cheap which is a shame as the game in moscow in 92 was one of my best trips ever , but the country has changed so much , so like most lads i have spoken to will wait for the draw and maybe try and do a couple of games 

this is just my take on it but i would say the pros out weigh the cons every time and always smile when i see a city flag hung up at away games.......................

Can't comment what it's like nowadays, all sounds quite positive and mainly trouble free which was a far cry from when I went regularly in the 90's, far too many utterly embarrassing and complete morons for my liking, after the World Cup in '98 in France I vowed never to watch England again, a promise I've kept since, ( must say, Italia '90 was a good laugh though)

Russia will be a blood bath next summer. The Ruskies have a huge number of very hostile and aggressive thugs who maraude around the towns of wherever matches are being played simply kicking the shit out of anyone not wearing a Russian shirt.

The Russian police do nothing about it whatsoever.

Have been to a number of finals, and have seen a wide range of fans. To name a few: a mob of Hackett-clad, No Surrender chanting, bellends on the train to Charleroi in 2000; some knuckle-dragger, with an EDL tattoo around his belly-button, telling a few local lads in Rustenburg in 2010 about how they got it right with apartheid; a balding, 4-eyed, utter weapon in Sao Paulo in 2014 giving verbals to the Uruguayans sat around us.

But on the flip side, I have also met a load of decent football fans, who just want to have a drink, watch a match, and enjoy time in some foreign land ( @WayOutWest among them).

We seem to attract all sorts, and as someone earlier pointed out, just avoid a) the main square of the town we are playing in or b) Scruffy ******'s Oirish pub and generally you'll be fine.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Russia will be a blood bath next summer. The Ruskies have a huge number of very hostile and aggressive thugs who maraude around the towns of wherever matches are being played simply kicking the shit out of anyone not wearing a Russian shirt.

Nah it won't be. I don't think many will travel after what happened in France. Now if Russia would have held let's say the 1998 WC say for example it's a different story. Our organised hooligan element that have followed England have largely been dispersed through banning orders into almost nothing as France last year showed. It was actually quite shocking to see the Russians run riot like they did, they would never have taken the piss out of the English like that 20 or so years ago. It is what it is and the Russians are and probably will stay the 'top' boys now on the international hooligan scene as there government don't seem to give a toss and I highly doubt banning orders or anything of the like will be handed to there lot.

54 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Have been to a number of finals, and have seen a wide range of fans. To name a few: a mob of Hackett-clad, No Surrender chanting, bellends on the train to Charleroi in 2000; some knuckle-dragger, with an EDL tattoo around his belly-button, telling a few local lads in Rustenburg in 2010 about how they got it right with apartheid; a balding, 4-eyed, utter weapon in Sao Paulo in 2014 giving verbals to the Uruguayans sat around us.

But on the flip side, I have also met a load of decent football fans, who just want to have a drink, watch a match, and enjoy time in some foreign land ( @WayOutWest among them).

We seem to attract all sorts, and as someone earlier pointed out, just avoid a) the main square of the town we are playing in or b) Scruffy ******'s Oirish pub and generally you'll be fine.

The other thing to point out is that tournaments are (obviously) much more well attended than away qualifiers or friendlies, and tournament games will have a large number of English fans who didn't source their tickets through the FA's official allocation. E.g. they may have got tickets directly through FIFA, through sponsors, or on the black market. The FA can obviously only restrict sales of its own allocation (i.e. not selling to anyone with a banning order or football related police caution or other conviction) so the chances of encountering the types you mention above are much higher at a tournament game than they are at qualifiers or friendlies. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

"A blood bath". Haha. 

6 hours ago, North London Red said:

Slovakia at Wembley tonight will be my 151st England game. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've seen genuine disorder. 

The people I've met on my travels watching England come from all walks of life, and support a huge range of club sides. Those who go to most of the away games tend to only have two things in common: a love of football, and a love of travel. And if you want to join the travel club, the FA run a check against you before they'll let you in, and anyone with a football related police caution / arrest / banning order won't be allowed in. 

That said, the game in Dortmund earlier this year did seem to attract a number of newer fans who seemed intent on being very antisocial. Hopefully it was a one-off (Glasgow, Paris and Malta were, I believe, largely trouble free). 

I stayed in Dortmund and don't remember seeing any trouble - in fact I thought it was all quite good natured 

6 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

There are belters as you describe but it's very easy to steer clear of them and enjoy the trip the way you want to. Simply avoid any public squares in the city centre of wherever the game is, and particularly Irish/British bars.

I find it hilarious when I see all these England fans drinking outside an Irish bar, singing 'no surrender'! 

They don't actually get it do they.

Met my now wife on a trip to the Brazil World Cup... cant complain.

As others have said, you know the groups to avoid and job done. For example, I walked into a bar in Sao Paulo full of Mancs and Yorks going full tilt at each other. Just turned around, joined a pub crawl with other tourists and locals, had a great time.

Its more about the travel and seeing new places for me. Certainly Id never have gone to Belo Horizonte, for example,  if not with England. Hoping to go to Russia and tickets will be a bonus.

Archived