IGNORED

Wolves match, set out early, its Wellington boots weather (Merged)

Never to the dark side

Be warned those who are travelling up the M5 and yet to experience the gigantic pigs ear they are making of the road works between junctions 2 and 1 that you should expect delays.

At the junction of the M42 and the M5 they have very kindly reduced the M5 to a single lane and the speed to 50mph in order to deliberately create a choke point and encourage cars to use the M42 to travel all away around the wrong side of Birmingham and rejoin the M6 at junction 4 before travelling north bound again. Obviously this will add a fair amount of time and miles to your journey. All the matrix signs approaching the road works will say for the M6 North use the M42.

If you manage to get through the choke point in one piece then you'll return to normal Motorway speeds until Junction two where the speed drops to 30mph through the roadworks.

Furthermore, after the match there may be road closures through the roadworks when you are trying to return through the same area southbound.  

They've just announced that instead of 18 months of this nightmare buried away in a news report they slipped in it's now going to take 2 years.  

1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

Be warned those who are travelling up the M5 and yet to experience the gigantic pigs ear they are making of the road works between junctions 2 and 1 that you should expect delays.

At the junction of the M42 and the M5 they have very kindly reduced the M5 to a single lane and the speed to 50mph in order to deliberately create a choke point and encourage cars to use the M42 to travel all away around the wrong side of Birmingham and rejoin the M6 at junction 4 before travelling north bound again. Obviously this will add a fair amount of time and miles to your journey. All the matrix signs approaching the road works will say for the M6 North use the M42.

If you manage to get through the choke point in one piece then you'll return to normal Motorway speeds until Junction two where the speed drops to 30mph through the roadworks.

Furthermore, after the match there may be road closures through the roadworks when you are trying to return through the same area southbound.  

They've just announced that instead of 18 months of this nightmare buried away in a news report they slipped in it's now going to take 2 years.  

Thanks for that, is coming off at junc 6 and using the A449 a decent alternative?

1 hour ago, Frenchay Red said:

Thanks for that, is coming off at junc 6 and using the A449 a decent alternative?

Best best is to keep an eye on the traffic and see how it's flowing. The A449 could be a better option. There are days when it is taking people over an hour to get from 4A to the M6 and other days when it's taking only 35 minutes. 

Been through there a few times recently and it is bad, took nearly two hours from the M42 junction to get in the M6. I should have done M42 M6 like they were suggesting in the warning screens but so much was coming off the M5 on to the 42 I gambled doh.

for tomorrow definitely come off at J6 and up the 449 but many are doing the same so allow extra time 

3 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

I work next to J2....30mph and a right nightmare!

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Just a heads up. 

There are horrendous roadworks on the M5 at the moment. They're at J2 (Oldbury) but are causing backlogs to J5 (Droitwich) on occasions. 

Make sure you leave in plenty of time. 

Come off at the Dudley turn off and follow the road into Wolverhampton, it's not a bad road although I guess others will be using the same detour.

5 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

I work in Oldbury. Even when there are no roadworks, there are often big queues on the Oldbury viaduct at rush hour.

I averaged 17 miles an hour from Bromsgrove to Perry Barr this morning. And that's even worse when you taken into account that I travelled the first 5 miles at about 85mph. 

Edit: 70mph. It was definitely 70mph. 

8 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Do you think driving to New Street and getting the train would be an easier option? 

I'm just considering my options and I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm going to drive to Northfield train station, park for free and get the train to New St, change for Wolves and then walk to the ground (15mins). 

Northfield to BNS - 20 mins. 

BNS to Wolves - 27 mins. 

Wolves to the ground - 15 mins. 

9 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

What time is last one back from New St to Northfield or even Longbridge for those coming off the M5 or maybe Alvechurch meaning drivers could go up the M42?

Longbridge and Northfield are about a mile apart. 

Northfield definitely has free parking, Longbridge, to my knowledge, doesn't. 

Wouldnt recommend parking car near to Longbridge train station, there's an awful lot of shit around there.

I don't use Alvechurch to be honest, so know little about it. 

Archived