IGNORED

Tammy Abraham set to play for Nigeria

Eastside Moonwalker

https://talksport.com/football/london-born-tammy-abraham-turn-back-england-and-play-nigeria-claims-president-nigeria

Not the most reliable source, but there are more out there. I say good luck to him

What's your opinions on it? Personally I could've seen him called up to the England 11 in a few years 

Also interesting enough, he was born in London and has lived in England his entire life (not that it should sway him)

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What a shame. Genuinely thought he could be an England player. 

Controversially - perhaps this indicates a lack of real winning mentality. He knows he could probably be a regular pick for Nigeria; but would have to really fight for a place with England. 

It is controversial, as Nigeria probably have as good a chance as England of winning anything!

Phantom beat me to it.

I wad going to say he needs to prove himself in the Premier first. A lot will depend on what happens this year at Swansea and where he goes at the end of the season. If he can break into the Chelsea first team he'd almost certainly attract attention from the England set up. Another loan or underwhelming season and he may got lost among the promising Under 23's who never make that final step. In that respect for regular international football, Nigeria may well be his only option. Either way, he shouldn't make any decisions until he's had a chance to reflect on his first full season of regular top flight football.

I'd say that it's still a bit early for him to think about senior-level international football. He'll continue to be a starter for the U20's and U21's, so I'd probably focus on playing in an environment where it's okay to learn.

From what I heard on the radio, his dad is friends with the head of the Nigerian FA, so that probably had a big part in his decision.

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

It is controversial, as Nigeria probably have as good a chance as England of winning anything!

Possibly - but England are still a more prestigious side to play for. 

In my opinion, if you truly had a winning mentality and self belief, surely you'd rather be competing with Rashford and Kane to be England's first choice forward than competing with Musa and Iwobi to be Nigeria's.

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What a shame. Genuinely thought he could be an England player. 

Controversially - perhaps this indicates a lack of real winning mentality. He knows he could probably be a regular pick for Nigeria; but would have to really fight for a place with England. 

Is he as good as people think he is? Looks to be struggling to adapt to the premier league. We look a better team without him. 

4 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Is he as good as people think he is? Looks to be struggling to adapt to the premier league. We look a better team without him. 

Well it is a big step up and still early days for him.

I think he'll be a premier league player ultimately, probably a good learning curve for him to hit a lean period in a way.

I think what he has that sets him apart is that unteachable knack of sniffing out goals. 

5 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Perhaps difficult in a struggling team.

However, I do feel the praise for him last season got a bit OTT. His goal tally was excellent but I think he has a long way to go before he would be challenging for an England place alongside the likes of Rashford.

26 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Possibly - but England are still a more prestigious side to play for. 

In my opinion, if you truly had a winning mentality and self belief, surely you'd rather be competing with Rashford and Kane to be England's first choice forward than competing with Musa and Iwobi to be Nigeria's.

I wouldn't want to play for England, I'd want to play for an international team that could win things

He does need time to adapt to the league - look at some of our squad now, compared to how they looked 12 months ago!!

If He doesn't do that well this season, it could be based on how well/bad Swansea do themselves. Chelsea may well then try him at another Premiership club, or think maybe it's the best time to cash in on him purely based on his season with us and maybe thinking he isn't quite up to that extra level.

You have to think that if we did, somehow have him this year, would we have seen the form from Bobby Reid? Probably not. Yes we do look a better team this year, but I do think a large part of that is the Tomlin effect.

As for Nigeria over England? That could depend on how good Tammy himself thinks he is. I think the closest comparison you could make with him at this moment in time is Rashford - is he better than Rashford? As much as I like Abraham (love it if we were able to sign him permanently) don't think he is.

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I wouldn't want to play for England, I'd want to play for an international team that could win things

Realistically Nigeria are only going to win the AFCON though so it's much the same. England are a better international side then Nigeria.

It's trendy to say how terrible England are, but we do genuinely have some good players coming through and I believe within 5 years we'll have a much much better side than we do now.

• Admin

Nigerian Football Federation president Amaju Pinnick — a friend of Abraham’s dad  —  said: “I had a very honest and productive  discussion with Tammy and his father last week.

“It’s been a long  process but I can tell you authoritatively that he has agreed to play for Nigeria and not England.

“He and his parents have started  the necessary documents to effect the switch.

“Clearly he understands  he stands a better chance playing for the Super Eagles. With his talent he has the ability to fight for a place in the Nigeria squad, by God’s grace we make it to Russia, then he would contest for a chance to represent his fatherland.”

Pinnick and the striker’s father grew up in the town of Warri, in southern Nigeria.

And Pinnick  did not hide the fact  his relationship with Abraham’s father helped the bid.

20 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Realistically Nigeria are only going to win the AFCON though so it's much the same. England are a better international side then Nigeria.

It's trendy to say how terrible England are, but we do genuinely have some good players coming through and I believe within 5 years we'll have a much much better side than we do now.

oh i agree we do have some good players, the problem is they are more interested in club football then international :/

Disappointing if true, Tammy was born and brought up in England and presumably sees his long term future here, as well as that of any future family.

Imo. he should pledge his international future to the country of his birth, the country he has already represented at numerous levels, and the country he intends to continue to live in.

I'll have that little bit less interest in his career if he chooses to represent Nigeria.

9 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

oh i agree we do have some good players, the problem is they are more interested in club football then international :/

In 5 years we'll have peak Harry Kane and Dele Alli to add to Keane, Butland, Stones, Ward-Prowse and Rashford who I expect to be first team regulars.

Add in the likes of Trent Alexander-Arnold, Tom Davies, Solanke, Gray, Viera, Jadon Sacho and it looks rather more positive than it does now. 

We've had a fairly lean decade or so in terms of talent - but I believe we are on the ascendancy now. This seems to have gone under the radar a bit which makes a nice change.

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

In 5 years we'll have peak Harry Kane and Dele Alli to add to Keane, Butland, Stones, Ward-Prowse and Rashford who I expect to be first team regulars.

Add in the likes of Trent Alexander-Arnold, Tom Davies, Solanke, Gray, Viera, Jadon Sacho and it looks rather more positive than it does now. 

We've had a fairly lean decade or so in terms of talent - but I believe we are on the ascendancy now. This seems to have gone under the radar a bit which makes a nice change.

I hope so, but we had this with the "golden generation" of lampard, Gerrard Rooney owen Ferdinand the nevs cole x 2 ,

Archived