IGNORED

Terry Cooper : Flashback for the fans.

1960maaan

Agree, the club really should be doing something to honour Terry in a permanent manner. Bit before my time but have watched the clips and read the stories about TC and what he did for our club and the effect our club in turn had on him.  He's quite rightly revered by many and we need to honour that respect as a club if we possibly can. 

16 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

Aaaah the glory days....

...I can vividly remember starting my BCFC journey in 82-83. My Uncle started taking me and my brother. He'd just had a stroke and he'd park on a double yellow. We'd buy our tickets and head up to the Dolman - a bit slowly because his left side was pretty paralysed. On the odd occasion we'd get taken into the East End by our cousin. Urine on the terraces, beer everywhere, dark, dingy and the atmosphere in there was awesome.

4 to 5 thousand in that massive arena, they were dark days, but also great days. Andy Llewyellyn and Rob Newman at the back were absolute stalwarts for this club, with John Shaw. And obviously Walshy and Riley were my heroes. 

The life long love affair started right there. I still don't understand (and I guess never will) how you can claim to be a fan of a club if you've never, ever been to a game. How much fun can it be being a Man Utd fan? Winning a virtual guarantee (well I guess the last couple of years haven't been so lekker) every *******g week. No low points of relegations, disappointments, losing games on paper you should win easily and vice versa.

I guess this is why we are Bristol City. Always believing and hoping that we'll start to punch above our weight. Maybe, just maybe we're on the verge of something great. I'll reserve judgement though, because I've been there many times following this club.

I'm heading back to the UK after 15 years in South Africa. My girls have started getting really into soccer, they both play. Now I'll be able to take them to the colosseum. Starting the next generation of City fans.

Cooper deffo deserves some recognition by the club. Maybe we should start a petition. 

COYR

great post, but remember here it's football not soccer!

I am going to be devil's advocate here and not a positive one...not one for conspiracy theories incidentally.

Might the club be reluctant to do something like this for TC, because a bit of research would indicate that we all but went bust? That we collapsed from the First Division to the bottom of the Fourth Division in the process? I mean, trying to grow a brand...a successful, shiny happy brand- not the sort of history from that pov that would impress prospective investors, corporate fans and the like is it?

Incidentally, this is not my opinion at all- just an alternative, devils advocate- with an uncomfortable possibility. From a corporate perspective Louis Carey would be more ideal IMO- highs, lows but no major disasters. Not really. Highlighting this period though....well I wonder.

À City legend , gave us back our club and with style .

Loved the comment on marking Jairzinho .

" I hit and he hit me back . " 

Wingers normally crumbled when hit .TC knew he was in for a difficult match .

Also what a pleasure to see the South Stand barbecue and the fact that TC got us promoted and won the Cup after those interfering Gas money men sacked him .

The Gas still keep giving .

:rofl2br:

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I am going to be devil's advocate here and not a positive one...not one for conspiracy theories incidentally.

Might the club be reluctant to do something like this for TC, because a bit of research would indicate that we all but went bust? That we collapsed from the First Division to the bottom of the Fourth Division in the process? I mean, trying to grow a brand...a successful, shiny happy brand- not the sort of history from that pov that would impress prospective investors, corporate fans and the like is it?

Incidentally, this is not my opinion at all- just an alternative, devils advocate- with an uncomfortable possibility. From a corporate perspective Louis Carey would be more ideal IMO- highs, lows but no major disasters. Not really. Highlighting this period though....well I wonder.

As a devil's avocate that is a pretty flimsy argument I think.

TC was the guy who kicked the Phoenix into life . Surely a good example of the spirit of the club , no ? 

16 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

As a devil's avocate that is a pretty flimsy argument I think.

TC was the guy who kicked the Phoenix into life . Surely a good example of the spirit of the club , no ? 

Oh I agree yes. About TC. Definitely think he should be recognised correctly.

To put my rather cautiously put point another way- if they are looking to attract the corporate cash...corporate types want to be associated with success, glory, image all that crap. A club which went from top division to bottom division in successive years, and bust in the process- I am unsure it would be what corporate types would be looking for.

Maybe it wouldn't make a difference but I wonder sometimes.

54 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh I agree yes. About TC. Definitely think he should be recognised correctly.

To put my rather cautiously put point another way- if they are looking to attract the corporate cash...corporate types want to be associated with success, glory, image all that crap. A club which went from top division to bottom division in successive years, and bust in the process- I am unsure it would be what corporate types would be looking for.

Maybe it wouldn't make a difference but I wonder sometimes.

Has it stopped them investing in Wolves, Swansea or Brighton for example ? 

27 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Has it stopped them investing in Wolves, Swansea or Brighton for example ? 

Do they make a thing of their history in that sense? Wolves incidentally as a significantly bigger history in a positive sense as well as their struggles. Swansea and Brighton are better comparable examples IMO.

I think the history they would- and I stand to be corrected- is generally positive, successful or notable history. I suppose we could say our Division One to Division Four and then TC- the calm and latterly the renaissance after the storm and disaster- plus the almost bankrupt state- that is definitely notable history...but not in the PR way.

The Terry Cooper thing and the background...1st-4th division, bankrupt, AG8 and eventual hard won revival- the latter thanks in no small part to him- great story but does it fit the brand? I would suggest not. IMO- and I am not saying I agree with it philosophically, the more pristine, airbrushed- and in the cases of the big boys, genuinely successful the "brand", the better revenue generation, corporate and sponsorship opportunities for the club.

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Do they make a thing of their history in that sense? Wolves incidentally as a significantly bigger history in a positive sense as well as their struggles. Swansea and Brighton are better comparable examples IMO.

I think the history they would- and I stand to be corrected- is generally positive, successful or notable history. I suppose we could say our Division One to Division Four and then TC- the calm and latterly the renaissance after the storm and disaster- plus the almost bankrupt state- that is definitely notable history...but not in the PR way.

The Terry Cooper thing and the background...1st-4th division, bankrupt, AG8 and eventual hard won revival- the latter thanks in no small part to him- great story but does it fit the brand? I would suggest not. IMO- and I am not saying I agree with it philosophically, the more pristine, airbrushed- and in the cases of the big boys, genuinely successful the "brand", the better revenue generation, corporate and sponsorship opportunities for the club.

Thé three clubs I mentioned have all come within a whisker of going out of business.

That is their history , ours is similar . We can't and shouldn't deny it but it just shows the strength and love for the club .

Manna from heaven for a sponsor I would have thought .

For the club it is very positive in the same way so I don't necessarily agree with your theory .

It is probably something much more banal like " oh yeah , Terry Cooper , I liked him " jus like that " " 

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:05, Between heaven and hell said:

The great man should be guest of honour at the Leeds game so both sets of supporters can give him the recognition he deserves.

What a brilliant idea. Needs to be done. Give him some recognition before it's too late. He would fill the ground. That interview at Wembly still brings tears to my eye. Such a great man and so modest with it.

8 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

We need to recognise the history of the club better than we have. We need ways to mark TC, Alan Dicks and a few more. Great man TC and I hope he is ok. We weren't very nice to his son though were we?:laughcont:

Shame his son was such a grade-A belter! We've had some proper heroes at this club, men that have, surprisingly, gone under the radar in recent years.

Archived