IGNORED

The Bristol City v Cardiff City Match Day Thread 16

53 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Thought Johnson got it spot on with team and tactics. We were playing direct and hitting Cardiff on the break. We basically beat Cardiff at their own game. If we had passed it around like we usually do at home, then they would have hit us with pace on the break. But it was us breaking on them. O'Dowda getting their full back booked after a couple of minutes meant he had to be careful for the next 90 minutes. The Cardiff number 2 had a torrid time trying to cope with Calllum. I wasn't so keen on the system change. I thought we looked a bit all over the place. You want Flint in the middle, not on the right of a 3 man defence. But I do understand the change, having an extra body in midield and still having 2 up top. But just not keen on Flint as the right centre back, and O'Dowda wing back when Korey had been a rock on the right side of defence. But I guess they didn't really have any good chances from what I can remember late in the game. Only real negative is Magnússon. Really poor. I wonder how far away Lloyd Kelly is from becoming our new second choice left back.

Agree re Magnússon. Looked like a boy in a mans match. He made a decent tackle on their winger before their goal, but then didn't finish the job off by putting it out of play. Made the wrong decision more often than not

53 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

A gutsy performance to get another three points and with another formation. My only problem was that we didn't "manage" the game well enough in the last twenty minutes. The game was for too open and we allowed Cardiff too many opportunities to get the ball into our box. An unlucky ricochet could have turned a good win into a disappointing draw.

But let me not be too critical as three wins on the bounce is a very good return from the last week before the international break. Well on course to stay up!

Stay up?   Let's not get too confident this early;)

• Haha 3
27 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

Agree re Magnússon. Looked like a boy in a mans match. He made a decent tackle on their winger before their goal, but then didn't finish the job off by putting it out of play. Made the wrong decision more often than not

I think some people on here being unfair to Magners:

a) He wasn't being played in his best position (CB)

b) He's hardly had any game time recently

c) His long throws gave them problems all afternoon and created the winning goal for Flinty

For me he did OK

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

c) His long throws gave them problems all afternoon and created the winning goal for Flinty

For me he did OK

I broadly agree. The LB v CB debate will roar in, but was ok without being great. He was made to look worse by the fact so many are playing well.

First team games will bring him up to speed and with whats going on that is looking more likely

His long throws are a weapon and he gets an assist for the winner. Not enough by a long way to keep him in the team but a great weapon to have if other parts of his game start coming together!

Magners is too weak. The goal for them showed how he doesnt seem to have enough strength to compete, far too soft. 

Pushing Bryan out of his main position isnt great either imo. 

Yes hes lacking game time but he needs to man up to make it at this level for me. 

However, having said that the throwins are a massive bonus!

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

For me he did OK

Ok he is not a left back but he is too weak at cb as well. I remember Preston at home last season. He was absolutely overrun by their striker who scored 1 and laid one on. Away at Preston he came on at left back and had a complete mare, He got bullied like no other player did today. baker didn't have his best game either, but still looked far more solid than Magnússon. Having a long throw was his best asset today. Otherwise he was poor. 

Edited by redfieldred
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

A gutsy performance to get another three points and with another formation. My only problem was that we didn't "manage" the game well enough in the last twenty minutes. The game was for too open and we allowed Cardiff too many opportunities to get the ball into our box. An unlucky ricochet could have turned a good win into a disappointing draw.

But let me not be too critical as three wins on the bounce is a very good return from the last week before the international break. Well on course to stay up!

My thoughts exactly. Superb win but we made it hard for ourselves in the last 20 mins and didn't really make the most of having an extra man. 

Our defending for their goal was soft but overall we matched them physically. I've been critical of O'Dowda in the past but what a player he is becoming.

3 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Magners is too weak. The goal for them showed how he doesnt seem to have enough strength to compete, far too soft. 

Pushing Bryan out of his main position isnt great either imo. 

Yes hes lacking game time but he needs to man up to make it at this level for me. 

However, having said that the throwins are a massive bonus!

Bryan was moved forward to cover for Pato.