IGNORED

The Bristol City v Cardiff City Match Day Thread 16

30 minutes ago, Super said:

Dont think we played that well but result all that matters. Nervy at the end sat back too much.

Agreed & agreed.

We tried hard, and rode our luck a bit - Pack could quite easily have gone before being fouled for the Bogle red. Magger's was definitely very nervy throughout, and it got a bit difficult to watch near the end that's for sure. We were using our squad to near its full extent, and it showed sometimes. Whatever anyone says about them, Cardiff are good at what they do (thank god we don't have to watch them every week :), so I'm cutting us massive amounts of slack.

PS Nice to see half the team hugging Tomlin at the end, presumably congratulating him for missing with those free kicks and failing to deliver a far post ball when we left their player free.

Edited by Sleepy1968
46 minutes ago, Super said:

Dont think we played that well but result all that matters. Nervy at the end sat back too much.

We were a bit disjointed today . 

Hörður looked nervous and had plenty to do as Cardiff continuously attacked down the right . 

He kept plugging away though and he has an assist for Flinty's goal to show for a difficult afternoon. 

The change in personnel saw Joe Bryan having a quieter game than usual on the attacking front. 

What we do have is heart and spirit by the bucket load and in this league that can be the difference. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Redinthehead said:

I didn’t think he was great - but he was necessary. Without his presence I think Cardiff’s approach may have been different.

I agree, even if it’s not going his way he keeps defenders bottled up. When fully fit we’ll need that to battle out wins on wet Tuesday nights 

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

Djuric was superb today

Maybe a touch over the top

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Not what I saw but hey ho, opinions, opinions.

I thought he did pretty well , difficult game for anyone up there today

1 hour ago, Super said:

He didnt win much against those defenders!

He barely lost a header , may not have all been clean but he had 2 big units on him most of the time.

57 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

He won flick on's, but the defenders moved him around very easily imo and he never took up a threatening positions when we were attacking, he never got in front of his marker, but he was part of the team that won and he never hid, a fully fit player like him will have better days imo.

The only disappointing thing for me was Bobby obviously not reading the flicks, that said he's still learning the position. 

Last year Duric bullied Bamba and pushed him all over the place, I think Warnock remembered that and most of the time there were two players on him. He still got countless flicks and touches and I think the partnership will improve. Milan has to get fit and Bobby will learn to read him a bit better. 
Not saying he was brilliant , important and kept their defence occupied , but there is more to come.

• Like 1

Good result and a good performance all round, all the more pleasing because it was against Colin's long ball cheats.  I don't think they offered much, we outfought and out-thought them and we'd have won 11 vs 11 anyway.  

For me Joe Bryan, Callum O'Dowda and Aden Flint stood out.  Brownhill and Smith also played well overall as did Reid who nearly scored the goal of the season taking the piss out of Cardiff's defence but not getting enough trickery into the final shot.  Baker looked a little off the pace but was playing with an injury and Magnússon has to come on a long way if he's to stay, he lacked confidence and control too often though his throw for the winner was superb. 

Djuric worked hard and won a lot in the air, but needs to find a little bit of match sharpness as he made the wrong choice a little too often.  Looks like he's gained a lot of strength whilst out injured as he's much harder to push around now than he was when he first arrived.  Fielding didn't have a right lot to do but with the ball at his feet he's a continual worry.  Why can't we coach him through how to use those things on the end of his legs?

Pack was silly to lunge in on Bamba when already on a yellow but there was nowhere near as much contact as Bamba pretended.  Bogle's was a straight red all day long.  Taking off Pack was a very smart move by LJ as I'm certain Cardiff would have found a way to earn him a second yellow.  

It was great to see O'Dowda's first league goal, he has come on leaps and bounds in the last 6 weeks (Eire call up helped him?) and now looks like he's going to win the ball every time he goes for it.  Well done City and LJ - more of the same after another annoying international break please.

• Like 4

A gutsy performance to get another three points and with another formation. My only problem was that we didn't "manage" the game well enough in the last twenty minutes. The game was for too open and we allowed Cardiff too many opportunities to get the ball into our box. An unlucky ricochet could have turned a good win into a disappointing draw.

But let me not be too critical as three wins on the bounce is a very good return from the last week before the international break. Well on course to stay up!

• Like 2