It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

11 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Probably a bit before your time, but there were several paperback books out in the mid-1970s entitled Chopper, Skinhead and similar - some of our older members will undoubtedly recall them.

The writing was pretty abysmal, but they were 'interesting' reading, a step up from the 'Commando' cartoon books we read some years earlier.

My point is, like you, I was never a Hells Angel (Chopper) or a skinhead, but the books were, vicariously, quite enjoyable nevertheless, and I recall saying similar things to friends and family - if you don't like it, don't read it.

Excellent, I will keep an eye out for those, sounds like something I would like to read

Remember reading Chopper when I was 12/13, and really enjoyed it. Definitely one of those books we schoolboys weren't meant to be reading.Imagine it's very dated now though.

Image result for chopper, book, 1970's

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Remember reading Chopper when I was 12/13, and really enjoyed it. Definitely one of those books we schoolboys weren't meant to be reading.Imagine it's very dated now though.

Image result for chopper, book, 1970's

Wow, that cover takes me back!

I read all those books at the time  Skinhead, Skinhead Girls, Terrace Terrors Suedehead, Bootboys etc, and the later one Skinhead Returns about Joe Hawkins's son in '80

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Although not a skin, I was more into the film scene in my day.

Romper Stomper etc back in the early 90"s was a portrayal of skins v ethnic etc in Oz, if I remember right? Starred Russel Crowe.

I have grown up now though, bit of an arse in my youth!

The original skins listened to reggae,ska and Motown music and  were not at all racist,but the movement somehow got hijacked by the far right in the late seventies early eighties.

• Like 8
41 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

Looks like the original 6 hole docs with the white trim round the top and no yellow stitching,my first ever pair were exactly the same.

That cover takes me back, seem to remember that Suedehead had someone in a Crombie on the front cover, as someone has stated, it's probably a crap read now but as a 14 year old it was great stuff

• Like 2

Correct NOTBLUE, I was into the SKA music big time. 

Body Snatchers, Specials, Specialbeat, Jam, Selector was my scene. Still like the music today. Saw The Selector at the Colston Hall last December and they are still very good live. The CH was rocking! Main act at the Jools Holland R&B event.

Music and football has always been a "close marriage" for me.

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Correct NOTBLUE, I was into the SKA music big time. 

Body Snatchers, Specials, Specialbeat, Jam, Selector was my scene. Still like the music today. Saw The Selector at the Colston Hall last December and they are still very good live. The CH was rocking! Main act at the Jools Holland R&B event.

Music and football has always been a "close marriage" for me.

Same here,used to the same faces at the football and at concerts,and even down at Virgin records in Broadmead.

5 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

There was one well known vinyl record shop at the top of Park Street I frequented regularly - cant remember the name of it but it was heading round to the QEH school, on the left hand side.

Threw out my collection when CDs came along - what a mistake FFS!!!!

Was it Tony's Records ? 

Ditto for the vinyl .

I had many collectors items , Sex Pistols ' Credit Card ' sleeve , Police ' Roxanne ' blue , Buzzcocks ' Spiral Scratch '...  all sold to a dealer . 

At the time I felt it was right as I no longer played them ( if at all for the collectables ) 

I miss my collection but I have the memories. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Was it Tony's Records ? 

Ditto for the vinyl .

I had many collectors items , Sex Pistols ' Credit Card ' sleeve , Police ' Roxanne ' blue , Buzzcocks ' Spiral Scratch '...  all sold to a dealer . 

At the time I felt it was right as I no longer played them ( if at all for the collectables ) 

I miss my collection but I have the memories. 

Started of as Revolver  records I think,then Tony's.

Sold football fanzines as well.

Edited by Kingcider
Can't type
  • Like 3
32 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

There was one well known vinyl record shop at the top of Park Street I frequented regularly - cant remember the name of it but it was heading round to the QEH school, on the left hand side.

Revolver?

It would seem so - I posted prior to reading the later posts.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
55 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Still got a few on vinyl,mainly Trojan explosion,and even an original copy of Al Capone by Prince Buster.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

That's the one - Revolver Records.

Taylor`s Records in Taunton was where I used to `shop`. Used to peel the reduced stickers of some crap in the bargain bin and stick it on a full price album. The staff didn`t have a clue about what you were buying and just let you have it for pennies. Rattus Norvegicus springs to mind as one such `bargain`.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Taylor`s Records in Taunton was where I used to `shop`. Used to peel the reduced stickers of some crap in the bargain bin and stick it on a full price album. The staff didn`t have a clue about what you were buying and just let you have it for pennies. Rattus Norvegicus springs to mind as one such `bargain`.

Quality band The Stranglers. Black & White album I revved the bolloxx of that LP for years!  The Peaches was on Rattus Norvegicus.

• Like 2