Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

It all kicked off in Bristol (Merged)

52 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

All jokes aside, when was that ever open?! I was born in 95 and have no memory of it ever seeming occupied

Had cause to use it once. They had everything you could want or need for a car repair, bike repair or major feat of engineering, bit scattered all over the place.

Never once looked open, how he ever made any money is a mystery how he kept trading is an even bigger mystery.

If it's still there, pop in when you next go by, it was part shop, part workshop.

4 hours ago, S25loyal said:

I’m not mentioning south glos, I don’t care what county Hanham is in but it isn’t Bristol which means it can’t be part of Bristol, as Bristol is its own city and county. How is that hard to understand ?

There is no such thing as greater Bristol, you can’t just go making up your own boundaries and ideas. 

Hanham is not part of Bristol, it’s absolutely impossible to be, it isn’t within the boundaries, it never has been, and there isn’t a greater Bristol. 

The same as Bristol airport isn’t in Bristol and never has been. 

Kingswood isn’t in Bristol either, so why the Gas opened a Club shop outside Bristol Is beyond me.

1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

Kingswood isn’t in Bristol either, so why the Gas opened a Club shop outside Bristol Is beyond me.

Well they played outside Bristol so why not 🙂

3 hours ago, Countryfile said:

Well they weren't the biggest team in Bristol, and then they weren't even the biggest team in Somerset. The only logical option was to try South Glos next. 

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Countryfile said:

Half of Kingswood is, where there club shop was is right on the border, can't be sure if it is Bristol or South Glos. 

9 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Hanham has never been part of Bristol. It has been part of Gloucestershire, Avon and now South Gloucestershire. Of course I say I'm from Bristol as most people outside of our area wouldn't have heard of Hanham, but strictly speaking I'm not.

Actually in 1891, the same municipal act that brought Bedminster into Bristol also brought part of Hanham into Bristol*. The boundary changed back during the creation of Kingswood  Urban District Council. 

The UN defines cities as a contiguous metropolitan area. How local government decides to divide up those areas is irrelevant.

I think few people would argue that Manchester United don't play in Manchester. Although technically Old Trafford is in the Borough of Trafford and was historically part of Stretford in Lancashire. Notwithstanding all this local government hoo-ha, it's clearly within the Greater Manchester area.

Same with Hanham. Although it has been outside the local government definition of Bristol, what had hitherto been a separate coal-mining village  became entirely attached to the city of Bristol by the 1860s as Bristol expanded east through St George and Brislington and out either side of  what was then just called the Bath Road.

It is, as the UN would note, within the contiguous urban area of Bristol, without a buffer zone like Keynsham.

* See page 41 of this.  http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/History/bristolrecordsociety/publications/brs50.pdf

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Actually in 1891, the same municipal act that brought Bedminster into Bristol also brought part of Hanham into Bristol*. The boundary changed back during the creation of Kingswood  Urban District Council. 

The UN defines cities as a contiguous metropolitan area. How local government decides to divide up those areas is irrelevant.

I think few people would argue that Manchester United don't play in Manchester. Although technically Old Trafford is in the Borough of Trafford and was historically part of Stretford in Lancashire. Notwithstanding all this local government hoo-ha, it's clearly within the Greater Manchester area.

Same with Hanham. Although it has been outside the local government definition of Bristol, what had hitherto been a separate coal-mining village  became entirely attached to the city of Bristol by the 1860s as Bristol expanded east through St George and Brislington and out either side of  what was then just called the Bath Road.

It is, as the UN would note, within the contiguous urban area of Bristol, without a buffer zone like Keynsham.

* See page 41 of this.  http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/History/bristolrecordsociety/publications/brs50.pdf

Still outside the City and County of Bristol 😄

• Haha 2
23 hours ago, S25loyal said:

Absolutely impossible.

City and County of Bristol. Not in the city or the county of Bristol. 

They arnt part of Bristol, simple as that. 

A postal address makes no difference, it’s like saying half of Cornwall is in Truro. 

Yeovil had a Bath Post code!!!!!!! 

I have lived in Hanham for the past 12 years. I have to say that I think it is far more red than blue. A lot of the City lot that live over here are good 'lads' as well.

There really doesn't seem to be many young gas lads here at all. Maybe just poor unfortunates who are forced to be blue by vindictive relations.

As an example I took a kids football training session for a group of 12 year olds from AEK Boco. 14 kids turned up. 12 wearing City shirts, a plump boy in a Man Utd shirt and a ginger kid in a Rovers shirt (his dad is gas).

As for pubs, on Northern Soul nights up the Trooper you do get a small group of ex skinhead gas who are about 60 years old. I know them all and there is never any bother. Most in there are City. Jolly does get some gas in when they have a home match. Tend to drink there pre match and travel to the game. Not many though. Maypole is almost exclusively City. Cross Keys is virtually all red. Blue Bowl......not sure, shit food pub I avoid.

Gotta be said ......... Hanham is Red.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Still outside the City and County of Bristol 😄

Which bit of "it doesn't matter what arbitrary boundaries local government draw" wasn't clear?

Until 1974, Manchester United didn't play in Manchester according to local government boundaries. Yet clearly they did - hence the name.

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Which bit of "it doesn't matter what arbitrary boundaries local government draw" wasn't clear?

Until 1974, Manchester United didn't play in Manchester according to local government boundaries. Yet clearly they did - hence the name.

Why is the UN more important than actual boundaries? 

In your eyes then no boundaries exist at all then?

What happens when Bradford and Leeds finally meet up, a new city called Braleeds?

1 minute ago, S25loyal said:

Why is the UN more important than actual boundaries? 

In your eyes then no boundaries exist at all then?

What happens when Bradford and Leeds finally meet up, a new city called Braleeds?

Not random local government made-up ones. For example, no one born in Midsomer Norton would say "I was born in BANES". Everyone would say "I was born in Somerset". If you travel from Horfield to Filton no one thinks "I'm leaving Bristol now". You are clearly in the same continuously built-up city. 

Boundaries change continuously. As I pointed out from the link I posted, Hanham was originally in Gloucestershire (as was most of what we now think of as the city of Bristol) but in 1891 it became part of Bristol only to transfer to another local government area (Kingswood) in the 20th century.

Various posters make reference "the city and county of Bristol" but there has been no such thing since 1972.  Only one city "Bristol" administered by two local authorities - BCC and SGDC.

Eventually, we might get a sensible solution as happened to the Manchester conurbation in 1974, where various diffuse boroughs and districts were all recognised as constituent parts of one authority "Greater Manchester". Until then we have the logistically daft 'one city, two local authorities' situation. Even the horror that was Avon made more sense.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Malaggro CNF said:

I have lived in Hanham for the past 12 years. I have to say that I think it is far more red than blue. A lot of the City lot that live over here are good 'lads' as well.

There really doesn't seem to be many young gas lads here at all. Maybe just poor unfortunates who are forced to be blue by vindictive relations.

As an example I took a kids football training session for a group of 12 year olds from AEK Boco. 14 kids turned up. 12 wearing City shirts, a plump boy in a Man Utd shirt and a ginger kid in a Rovers shirt (his dad is gas).

As for pubs, on Northern Soul nights up the Trooper you do get a small group of ex skinhead gas who are about 60 years old. I know them all and there is never any bother. Most in there are City. Jolly does get some gas in when they have a home match. Tend to drink there pre match and travel to the game. Not many though. Maypole is almost exclusively City. Cross Keys is virtually all red. Blue Bowl......not sure, shit food pub I avoid.

Pretty much al of North Bristol is red - i moved to Yate 12 years ago and that’s definitely more City than gas from what i see 

• Robin 1
Just now, Moments of Pleasure said:

Little Stoke was blue yesterday, I can officially report, when I was there for about an hour and a half. The final score in shirts was:

City 0 Rovers 1.

Come on Little Stoke, pull yer bloody shirt out. 

Patchway, little Stoke and Filton definitely more red than blue these days

31 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Little Stoke was blue yesterday, I can officially report, when I was there for about an hour and a half. The final score in shirts was:

City 0 Rovers 1.

Come on Little Stoke, pull yer bloody shirt out. 

"A pleasantly surprising 2-0 win for the Gas in Asda Longwell Green this morning :)

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Malaggro CNF said:

Did he get the piss ripped out of him ?

(for his "shirt", rather than his ginger hair)

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not random local government made-up ones. For example, no one born in Midsomer Norton would say "I was born in BANES". Everyone would say "I was born in Somerset". If you travel from Horfield to Filton no one thinks "I'm leaving Bristol now". You are clearly in the same continuously built-up city. 

Boundaries change continuously. As I pointed out from the link I posted, Hanham was originally in Gloucestershire (as was most of what we now think of as the city of Bristol) but in 1891 it became part of Bristol only to transfer to another local government area (Kingswood) in the 20th century.

Various posters make reference "the city and county of Bristol" but there has been no such thing since 1972.  Only one city "Bristol" administered by two local authorities - BCC and SGDC.

Eventually, we might get a sensible solution as happened to the Manchester conurbation in 1974, where various diffuse boroughs and districts were all recognised as constituent parts of one authority "Greater Manchester". Until then we have the logistically daft 'one city, two local authorities' situation. Even the horror that was Avon made more sense.

The residents of Hanham, Kingswood, Filton etc can't vote for the mayor of Bristol to my knowledge, ergo they don't live in Bristol surely? 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The residents of Hanham, Kingswood, Filton etc can't vote for the mayor of Bristol to my knowledge, ergo they don't live in Bristol surely? 

They don't live in the Bristol City Council area, but they do live in the metropolitan area of Bristol. 

I can't reiterate my arguments all over again about the transitory nature of local government boundaries as opposed to the actual organic nature of a joined-together urban conurbation. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

They don't live in the Bristol City Council area, but they do live in the metropolitan area of Bristol. 

I can't reiterate my arguments all over again about the transitory nature of local government boundaries as opposed to the actual organic nature of a joined-together urban conurbation. 

Ah, go on

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, S25loyal said:

at happens when Bradford and Leeds finally meet up, a new city called Braleeds?

Bradley Stoke about to have a strong football team 

Edited by Seneca the Younger
3 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

Patchway, little Stoke and Filton definitely more red than blue these days

That's surprising as it's only up the road from the mem so what's their stonghold mainly Easton, Horfield,Southmead and Brentry 

2 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

That's surprising as it's only up the road from the mem so what's their stonghold mainly Easton, Horfield,Southmead and Brentry 

Barr’s Court, Cadbury Heath, Warmley are probably the real strongholds for that lot.

The rest is mixed or mainly City.

36 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Barr’s Court, Cadbury Heath, Warmley are probably the real strongholds for that lot.

The rest is mixed or mainly City.

Maybe Cadbury Heath, and Oldland, I doubt Warmley or Barrs Court. went to school 07-12 & The Grange was roughly 65% City then, let alone now.