IGNORED

Tonight's Championship Games

myol'man

Villa and Cardiff wins would be good for us as well.

Realistically I think Cardiff and Wolves have the top two spots sorted.  They are both flying high and show little indication of falling off anytime soon.

For us it is therefore all about staying in the play-off positions.  To do that all you need to do is get more points than the team in 7th.  So you basically always want the teams from 7th down to lose, even if it means a team in the top 6 winning.  You always want the lower ranked team to win.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Realistically I think Cardiff and Wolves have the top two spots sorted.  They are both flying high and show little indication of falling off anytime soon.

For us it is therefore all about staying in the play-off positions.  To do that all you need to do is get more points than the team in 7th.  So you basically always want the teams from 7th down to lose, even if it means a team in the top 6 winning.  You always want the lower ranked team to win.

Not even half way through the season yet?

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think it’s way to early to concede a top 2 place at the moment, with where we are. 

I agree that Wolves are looking good for top spot, but let’s see how their “stars” cope with the winter. 

I’m not convinced by Cardiff. They may prove me wrong (and currently are!) but I’d be very surprised to see them finish in the top 2. 

I’m not saying it will be us, but I expect another name in second place. 

If only we didn’t have such injury problems..! 

29 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think it’s way to early to concede a top 2 place at the moment, with where we are. 

30 minutes ago, Super said:

Not even half way through the season yet?

I'm aware of how far though the season we are.  Neither of those teams are riding their luck.  They've both performed exceptionally well.  Wolves are based on an excellent attack, Cardiff on a solid defence. I'll be surprised to see either drop out of the auto places for very long.

29 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Currently I'd be backing Villa if anyone.  Also I'd look for Brentford to gatecrash the play-offs - all they need to do is keep their heads when they are winning.

I'd say we are about where we should be.  Finishing 6th will be great, any higher is a bonus.  The Boro game this weekend is huge.

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'm aware of how far though the season we are.  Neither of those teams are riding their luck.  They've both performed exceptionally well.  Wolves are based on an excellent attack, Cardiff on a solid defence. I'll be surprised to see either drop out of the auto places for very long.

Currently I'd be backing Villa if anyone.  Also I'd look for Brentford to gatecrash the play-offs - all they need to do is keep their heads when they are winning.

I'd say we are about where we should be.  Finishing 6th will be great, any higher is a bonus.  The Boro game this weekend is huge.

Great shout on Brentford. They keep turning up talent and they play great football. Some really good footballers cannot get in the first team.

15 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Wolves I agree with are all but nailed on but I don't think Cardiff are by any stretch. They've done very well thus far but just didn't see anything at AG or when I've seen them on TV that says they're top 2 for sure, more likely to be Villa, Boro or Leeds imho. Great that we are involved and having these kind of debates though, looking up as opposed to down. Long may it continue. 

4 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Great shout on Brentford. They keep turning up talent and they play great football. Some really good footballers cannot get in the first team.

Cheers, but it's just based on some stats. They are creating and conceding chances in line with teams in the top 6...but they are just getting no luck or are conceding from chances that really shouldn't be goals.

If they can do...something...to keep hold of a lead then you'll see them quickly string together a 10-game unbeaten run and shoot up to around 7th or 8th.  They could be 10th on Monday anyway.

I can think of two points in August in particular that they dropped at home and should have taken!

I agree with the view that we need to consolidate the top 6 rather than worry about the top 2. Play offs would be an incredible achievement given the injury situation. Callum’s injury ahead of a contested fixture list adds further salt to the wound and makes me think we will finish mid table but look forward to being wrong!

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I agree that Wolves are looking good for top spot, but let’s see how their “stars” cope with the winter. 

I’m not convinced by Cardiff. They may prove me wrong (and currently are!) but I’d be very surprised to see them finish in the top 2. 

If only we didn’t have such injury problems..! 

Villa....

Archived