IGNORED

That free kick

Ashtonwurzel

1 hour ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Nothing was made off it on commentary but the free kick that very nearly worked from the half way line was simply brilliant. Short pass forward 5 yards then returned and "quaterbacked" towards 3 runners from deep. JB got in and for a moment we were 3 v 1 but he messed up the cross.

Shhhh. If we keep quiet we might be able to use it again. The commentators on Sky certainly didn't notice what they had done.

1 hour ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Nothing was made off it on commentary but the free kick that very nearly worked from the half way line was simply brilliant. Short pass forward 5 yards then returned and "quaterbacked" towards 3 runners from deep. JB got in and for a moment we were 3 v 1 but he messed up the cross.

Couldn’t agree more, was a well worked move. Almost another ‘Weasel ‘ moment! COYR 

LJ mentioned that situation in his post match interview and it very nearly worked. 

Im not sure who comes up with the ideas but assume it's from LJ and his assistants and they all deserve much credit for their innovative and creative thinking.

Im really impressed with the healthy state of the club right now both on and off the pitch and for that SL deserved more praise than anyone.

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ mentioned that situation in his post match interview and it very nearly worked. 

Im not sure who comes up with the ideas but assume it's from LJ and his assistants and they all deserve much credit for their innovative and creative thinking.

Im really impressed with the healthy state of the club right now both on and off the pitch and for that SL deserved more praise than anyone.

GJ most likely......:whistle:

It was interesting to see from the stands. As soon as the ball was put down, two runners just set iff, I thought, what are they doing?  Seconds later, the question was answered. Lovely to see us create and innovate like that. If Cuteh had dine it we’d never hear the last of it from Sky. 

BTW what did asky say about us?  Inky comments Ive seen are negative ines re Charlie Nicholas  

12 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

Yep im sure LJ doesnt have a ounce of wisdom or tactics from GJ ... LJ is a different manager but .. You cannot deny he may of got a few things from his Dad. 

If you think back to Gary’s tenure we also had some very good freekick routines back then. Louis Carey’s goal against palace in the away leg of the play offs comes to mind. I don’t know who was the mastermind back then but obviously has gone on to help LJ now - but that last night was a bit of genius and would of been used because of the high line Man City play. I remember one freekick in the second half they were about 10 yards in front of their own box. 

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

There's an open door policy for coming up with ideas, whether it's coaches, the players or even the analysts if they spot something that could work. Then discussed and if thought a good idea then put into practice. The corner routine where Flint and Baker make a late run into the box was a player idea.

21 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

Yep im sure LJ doesnt have a ounce of wisdom or tactics from GJ ... LJ is a different manager but .. You cannot deny he may of got a few things from his Dad. 

He must have, he played under him for most of his career so he'll know what methods works and what methods don't  work.

That said LJ is a very different manager than his father thankfully and clearly a better one by some distance. He's far more astute tactically and his communication skills with the media and us fans is far superior.

This is a bold statement but I can see LJ manageing in the PL and some stage. If not with City then I can see a far bigger club tempting him away if he carries impressing with his managerial and coaching skills.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

He must have, he played under him for most of his career so he'll know what methods works and what methods don't  work.

That said LJ is a very different manager than his father thankfully and clearly a better one by some distance. He's far more astute tactically and his communication skills with the media and us fans is far superior.

This is a bold statement but I can see LJ manageing in the PL and some stage. If not with City then I can see a far bigger club tempting him away if he carries impressing with his managerial and coaching skills.

Ffs brush that chip off your shoulder. GJ metaphorically pulled down your pants and embarrassed you but it must have been what, 12 years ago? You're just sounding like a sad, bitter old minibus driver.

3 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Ffs brush that chip off your shoulder. GJ metaphorically pulled down your pants and embarrassed you but it must have been what, 12 years ago? You're just sounding like a sad, bitter old minibus driver.

So assuming from your reply you think that GJ is a better manager than his son?  

Ffs.........I'd rather watch an LJ team play high press and attacking football than one of pedestrian, no flair, dreary and a dull one.

For me assessing any managers worth depends entirely on the style of play they adopt and LJs teams have been playing some great entertaining stuff - on a par of Danny Wilsons style..

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Ffs.........I'd rather watch an LJ team play high press and attacking football than one of pedestrian, no flair, dreary and a dull one.

For me assessing any managers worth depends entirely on the style of play they adopt and LJs teams have been playing some great entertaining stuff - on a par of Danny Wilsons style..

Don't pretend for one moment that you're comparing managers with your "thankfully" comment. You're still carrying the hurt from the nasty "Conference Manager" embarrassing you all that time ago. In the words of the song: "Let it Go". ;)

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I would agree with you that Lee is certainly showing the potential to surpass his father on the managerial front, but so far potential is still what it is. Gary has achieved far more than his son, albeit over a far longer time period.

What would be nice, just for once, would be to see you actually acknowledge that Gary had a successful time in charge here and was a decent manager for us, arguably our second best since the war (subjective, and not necessarily my opinion).

Instead, because you had a personal falling out, you continue to give him no credit for anything he achieved here and belittle him at every opportunity.

3 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

What would be nice, just for once, would be to see you actually acknowledge that Gary had a successful time in charge here and was a decent manager for us, arguably our second best since the war (subjective, and not necessarily my opinion).

Instead, because you had a personal falling out, you continue to give him no credit for anything he achieved here and belittle him at every opportunity.

im not denying what GJ did at City, the records are there for all to see but those who assume my criticism of GJs way of playing is a personal issue where in fact I was criticising his dreary and turgid style of play long before I posted the now infamous "Conference manager" thread which is actually why I posted it.

Unfortunately that fact is overlooked by many posters.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

im not denying what GJ did at City, the records are there for all to see but those who assume my criticism of GJs way of playing is a personal issue where in fact I was criticising his dreary and turgid style of play long before I posted the now infamous "Conference manager" thread which is actually why I posted it.

Squirm.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

For the large part the style was certainly not dreary and turgid, those first 2-3 years were some of the most exciting in my 35 years as a City fan. Things did go downhill towards the end, they almost always do for any manager, even Fergie left Man Utd in a state way below his best.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Still not acknowledging it though. But then when you say in your previous post that you assess any managers worth entirely on the style of play they adopt I'm not surprised.

What GJ achieved with mainly a bunch of League 1 players punching above their weight was fantastic. Just the thought of that sentiment is enough to make you choke, let alone admitting it.

Just like your "fact" you are overlooked by many posters.

8 hours ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

We were chatting about this last night. Man Citeh played a real high line for the free kick, I guess to prevent a ball into the box for Flint/Bakes etc, the quick routine worked brilliantly and like 3 or 4 other occasions never quite come off. Very clever.

Archived