IGNORED

Atmosphere

ZiderEyed

7 hours ago, stokes7 said:

Agree at times it was quiet but I'm fed up with it always being left to s82 to make the noise how about other stands do something as well, I'm sorry but too many just sit on there arse and do nothing and then moan about atmosphere. On that note I'll grab my coat :laugh:

Did you really want to chant “Sane’s Mother has got a cock?” 

1 minute ago, shelts said:

I thought the atmosphere was one of nerves and tension and an inevitability about what was going to happen . Myself I was in awe at seeing top class players at the Gate in a cup semi and sat through the match fascinated 

I’ve always meant to ask Shelts, do you look like your avatar? 

43 minutes ago, stokes7 said:

Ummm how do you know I sang that? and what's that got to do with my comment 

I didn’t say you did sing that, you said you were fed up that the singing seems to be left to S82 with no one else joining in, well they were singing “Sane’s mother has got a cock” - so I asked you if you really wanted to sing that?

49 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I didn’t say you did sing that, you said you were fed up that the singing seems to be left to S82 with no one else joining in, well they were singing “Sane’s mother has got a cock” - so I asked you if you really wanted to sing that?

I also don't really understand the obsession with adding "you c*nts" to the end of the line in half our songs.

Bloke reporting for The Guardian:

"It was quite an atmosphere early on"

"....the raucous home support"

Bloke reporting for The Times:

"Ashton Gate shook with noise last night"

"The atmosphere was flat at the interval" (my emphasis).

Bloke reporting for The Tories (Telegraph):

"...the manager...in the matchday programme....had asked for a noise......And how he got a response"

"The home supporters were in full voice long before kick off"

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I also don't really understand the obsession with adding "you c*nts" to the end of the line in half our songs.

Yep the superb, original songs from the repertoires of fans of teams such as Man Utd and Liverpool don’t often rely on terms like that....they are just witty, clever, passionate and mostly original.....

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep the superb, original songs from the repertoires of fans of teams such as Man Utd and Liverpool don’t often rely on terms like that....they are just witty, clever, passionate and mostly original.....

Thing that gets me is that Liverpool have absolutely reams of songs, if you've never heard "Poor Scouser Tommy" before, I'd advise you to google it, best song in football imo.

I don't know where they come from or why smaller clubs can't seem to manager to have songs like it.

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The thing is, I don't have anything against the word per se.

I realise many people view it as one of the worst swear words, and it makes the fans that need to add it on every time sound like a bunch of 12 year olds who found out people dont like the word, so use it as much as possible to be rebels.

As a general rule I have nothing against swearing in the songs at football (but can understand parents may), but swearing for the sake of swearing just seems a bit, well... sh*t.

5 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Thing that gets me is that Liverpool have absolutely reams of songs, if you've never heard "Poor Scouser Tommy" before, I'd advise you to google it, best song in football imo.

I don't know where they come from or why smaller clubs can't seem to manager to have songs like it.

Yep I know the song Poor Scouser Tommy....I was working in London on a Tuesday many years ago, Fulham were playing Liverpool that night, I went for a beer with colleagues after work, there were Scousers everywhere in the pubs, just singing their songs - superb atmosphere and no offensive language....I’m no fan of Liverpool but their genuine fans certainly have some brilliant chants up their sleeves....

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

The thing is, I don't have anything against the word per se.

I realise many people view it as one of the worst swear words, and it makes the fans that need to add it on every time sound like a bunch of 12 year olds who found out people dont like the word, so use it as much as possible to be rebels.

As a general rule I have nothing against swearing in the songs at football (but can understand parents may), but swearing for the sake of swearing just seems a bit, well... sh*t.

I agree again James, I’ve got nothing against swearing at football, it’s a hugely popular sport with its roots in working class culture. Letting off steam with industrial language is very much a part of the matchday experience. But I don’t get the premeditated and organised use of swear words, it can just sound like youngsters excited that they can swear in public and get away with it....

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

"...the manager...in the matchday programme....had asked for a noise......And how he got a response"

General consensus from the media was it was good. Screenshot of the BBC live text at 41 mins the headline reads, “Superb atmosphere at Ashton Gate.” It keeps failing to upload though so you’ll just have to take my word for it!

Understandably it went a bit flat when we were 4-1 down on aggregate. Any ground would’ve been the same. When Liverpool looked dead and buried against Dorrmund in ‘16 or whenever that was it went very quiet for a bit.

3 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

I couldn’t make the game last night and so watched it on TV. Just before kick off I popped outside for a fag and could clearly hear the chant of “Come on you reds”

I live just over 4 miles away! Very impressive amount of noise!

You surely didnt need the TV on that loud

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

These quotes, in comparison to the general consensus in this thread, really highlights the firm negativity on this forum!! I thought it was a fantastic atmosphere where i was (South stand), not Man utd QF level but still class.

Pre match and for small periods the atmosphere was electric where i was sat. Unfortunately when it mattered most last few minutes before half time and first 10 minutes after it was dead. Poor old Mags will long lament that horrific error that led to the first goal, that's what killed the atmosphere. Nobody really believed we could score 2 goals in the second half without reply. Shame really - at 0-0 at half time I think the gate would have brought the house down when the players came out for the seconf half.

15 hours ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Man City probably the best side at killing atmospheres for home sides. First half was quite flat due to not really having anything to get the crowd going. Nervousness killed us which is understandable. Second half a lot better though.

MCFC, It’ll be interesting to get your perspective on the above on what your possession and pressing football does to opposing fans home atmospheres?

Hadn't really thought about it like that before jaydee. You may have a point there, must be hard to keep in full voice backing the team when they are hardly getting a kick.

14 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Special mention to the early leavers tonight so desperate to get back to their amazing lives - it was the most expensive ticket you’ve ever bought and you missed two goals. Well done.

I commented to my mate in the ground that I was impressed how many had stayed, maybe I am just too used all of our early leavers, which pisses me off no end.

Archived