Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bristolcitysweden

Ever watched Rovers at home not playing City?

I'm a ground hopper and eventually have to go to the Memorial Ground. The pain would be slightly eased by the fact the gipsys are at Bristol Rugbys ground but..

We are not likely to play them in the near future so..

What was it like?

I trust there will be no replies :yes: 

I've been once to see Barrow (my second team...) in the Cup, crap away end but was made good with Barrow beating them haha

5 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I'm a ground hopper and eventually have to go to the Memorial Ground. The pain would be slightly eased by the fact the gipsys are at Bristol Rugbys ground but..

We are not likely to play them in the near future so..

What was it like?

I trust there will be no replies :yes: 

Yes. I remember playing Ipswich before hand tat Trumpton then had to watch the first team play them after.

Was gut wrenching!

I remember going to Eastville 3 or 4 times in the 70's and quickly got bored with the quality of the football.

I also remember the fact that the IQ of the crowd was lower than I had experienced at any other ground in the league and how much they abused their own players. Nothing much has changed.

Went to Plymouth vs the sags a few years ago, needless to say Plymouth won 3-0 

15 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I remember going to Eastville 3 or 4 times in the 70's and quickly got bored with the quality of the football.

I also remember the fact that the IQ of the crowd was lower than I had experienced at any other ground in the league and how much they abused their own players. Nothing much has changed.

As a kid, playing Bristol Junior League, we’d end up playing quite a few teams away at the pitches on Muller Road.  We’d kick off at 1400 or 1430, and through the age groups we’d play 35 minutes each way to start with, so we’re always finished in time for our Manager (a big Rovers fan) to take us into Eastville for the last 15-20 minutes.  Days of Gary Mabbutt, David Williams, Mickey Barrett (rip)....none of them were Mick Harford though....my first City hero.

Remember going to see Rovers playing Preston with my best man (a rapid Preston supporter) at Eastville a million years ago. Stood at the open end with half dozen other hardy souls/idiots and the rain was lashing down. Preston look the lead in the first half only for the gas to equalise mid way through the second. Sadly Rovers got the winner with 5 minutes left. Of course the Tote End went nuts and started singing and pointing at us: 'It's all gone quiet over there'. The few of us looked at each other and burst out laughing. They really are a special lot over there aren't they?

In I think 1968 went on a mystery darts outing from the Princess of Wales organised by the guvnorr Roy Savage to watch the Gas v Swindon. We were booked in as Swindon supporters to get a block of seats in the stand on the gasometer side of Eastville. Swindon won one nil.

In the supporters club after and there were plenty of players in their as well. Then off to a pub on the A38 up in Gloucestershire for a meal and a good old session.

Happy days.

I used to go to Twerton regularly in the mid 90's. Started going just after City beat Liverpool in the cup. Took me a while to see the error of my ways. I last went in 2016 to see the FA Cup game against barrow. I was in the away end that day.

My Dad (a blue) took me to my first match, Rovers v Charlton at Eastville, in the mid-70s. It was enough to make me realise that my blood is red.

Was taken to Eastville as a kid for an evening match. Recall Gary Mabbutt - playing left back - being head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch. 

Went with a mate when I was a kid, don’t remember what season but it was the last game of season. They were playing Macclesfield and lost 3-2. After the game some rovers lads ran on the pitch and started having ago at the away end, all 150 of them! 

I believe City were away at Southend and lost 1-0.

Yep. Was going to a city away game that got postponed so we went in the Northampton away end. Northampton won 2-1, we started loads of city songs that they joined in with to the bemusement of the slags in the tin pot stand up to the side of us. 

Great day! :clapping:

I'm 16 years younger than my sister and my brother-in-law is a gas supporter; apart from that he's a great bloke. When I was a kid he must've took me to a couple of games at Eastville but I can only remember the one. I don't recall what season or the score, but it was against Crystal Palace, that's all I can remember.

It's funny, I don't know if it's advancing age on his part or the increasing gap on our part, but he's become a very bitter blue. We can't talk about football now. He's always having a snipe about something to do with us and in previous years I'd take it on the chin whilst being gracious about the gas - hard to explain but I think my siblings still see me as the baby of the family, even though I'm now middle aged myself. But over the last couple of seasons I've given back a whole lot more than I've got - as you can imagine! So now we don't talk football.

No chance! I'd rather boil my head in a pot than give any money to the Memorial rats and subject myself to anti football. No, no, no.

49 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I've been once to see Barrow (my second team...) in the Cup, crap away end but was made good with Barrow beating them haha

43 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

My friend is a Hartlepool fan and he came down and we went to watch them at the Mem! Gas lost 1 nil, 100 pool and one city in the away end :) 

33 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Went to Plymouth vs the sags a few years ago, needless to say Plymouth won 3-0 

21 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

In I think 1968 went on a mystery darts outing from the Princess of Wales organised by the guvnorr Roy Savage to watch the Gas v Swindon. We were booked in as Swindon supporters to get a block of seats in the stand on the gasometer side of Eastville. Swindon won one nil.

In the supporters club after and there were plenty of players in their as well. Then off to a pub on the A38 up in Gloucestershire for a meal and a good old session.

Happy days.

11 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Went with a mate when I was a kid, don’t remember what season but it was the last game of season. They were playing Macclesfield and lost 3-2. After the game some rovers lads ran on the pitch and started having ago at the away end, all 150 of them! 

I believe City were away at Southend and lost 1-0.

9 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Yep. Was going to a city away game that got postponed so we went in the Northampton away end. Northampton won 2-1, we started loads of city songs that they joined in with to the bemusement of the slags in the tin pot stand up to the side of us. 

Great day! :clapping:

There's one thing in common in all these posts, Rovers losing!

All my school mates are Sags (North Bristol upbringing) so would go to Twerton (for the craic) as we'd go into Bath on the evening. Used to go in the away end as refused to go in with the wrong un's :gasmask:

Went to Milwall Rovers last season at the Den as we were on an international break. Milwall won 4-0. I ended up in hospital. I split my sides laughing.

back in the 1980s I had a friend who worked for club security, that basically meant we got in everywhere free, we often used to join the away fans at eastville and sang our hearts out supporting the opposition, the away fans thought it was brilliant and treated us like royalty, happy days!!

No, I have found it difficult to go to City away games there, I could never bear  the thought of contributing a single penny of mine to their coffers.

Yes - once, but it was the famous day vs Mansfield.

A subcontractor of ours is one of their main sponsors, and have a box (which at the Mem literally means cardboard box).

As they had beaten Wycombe the week before and knowing I’m City, the smug owner of the company asked if I wanted to go to witness their survival first hand - so I took them up on the offer and had an absolute ball!

Went with a mate (Fulham fan) to watch them against Fulham in an FA Cup replay about 10 years ago, and the gas beating them on pens

Fulham had the likes of Jimmy Bullard,  Paul Konchesky and Clint Dempsey in the side as well

Went to the Memorial for Rugby years ago, and I went for something with a gAss mate. Really can't remember what it was, must have been football though I remember wearing my City shirt.

We ( me and a couple of mates all life long City) used to go to Eastville every week. Born and brought up in St. Werburghs it was a short-ish walk and being young we weren't allowed to cross town on our own until 9/10. Went to reserve games one week first team the next, we were just mad about football (this was a little before the hatred set in). I remember going for the City game there, covered in red scarves walking across the tote end on my own, would have been 7/8. It pretty much stopped as soon as I was trusted on the bus on my own so I could get to the Gate.

Just saw @pillred's post and remembered , we started going back supporting the away teams for a while, Chelsea, Forest , Wolves saw them take some beatings on and off the pitch . There was an incident with spray cans too, I'll just say Banksy was never worried.

18 minutes ago, Gifford said:

The only time I've been was THAT game when they played Mansfield.

8 minutes ago, Rule The Waves said:

A subcontractor of ours is one of their main sponsors, and have a box (which at the Mem literally means cardboard box).

As they had beaten Wycombe the week before and knowing I’m City, the smug owner of the company asked if I wanted to go to witness their survival first hand - so I took them up on the offer and had an absolute ball!

New thread on gaschat incoming...

"Breaking: Teds finally admit being at the Mem on 'that' day"

Had to go in hospitality once for a stag do. 3 teds amongst 10 gas heads. Decent carvery and the best thing was the game was dire and the gas lost. Hearing all the moaning nearly compensated for the fact I had put £60 in their coffers. Had so called their best seats in the stand. Thought they were having a laugh. Absolutely awful. A total dump.

As a kid in the late 60's/ early 70's with some school mates, at Eastville, boring 1-1 draw against some northern team, can not remember who.

Favourite Eastville memory was City winning 5-0 in the Gloucester Cup. Getting in & out was a mission due to full scale terrace / street skinhead battles. Educational for a young kid at the time

21 minutes ago, Rule The Waves said:

So they were right then. They ground was full of City!

Only at Eastville in the 70's - Man.Utd - to see Best, Law and Charlton etc, Sheff Utd, Watney Cup, Ipswich and Southampton in the F.A. Cup and West Ham when the City away game was called off on the day.

Always in the Open End supporting the away team, except West Ham where we ended up in the Enclosure with the triumphant West Ham fans - a motley crew if ever I saw one - being led past us to the Open End after going in the Tote End.

Fair bit of trouble at both the Southampton and West Ham games - the Rovers fans charging out of the Tote End to run the length of the pitch to confront the Southampton fans, all captured on West Match Special the next day iirc.

23 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

No, I have found it difficult to go to City away games there, I could never bear  the thought of contributing a single penny of mine to their coffers.

My old man a City fan for over 30 years has never once gone to watch City at Rovers for that one reason. I simply havent had the opportunity to have that chance because for 18 years watching City we have had them away twice.

Used to go down Eastvile in the 70's for the occasional night game (lived on Fishponds rd, so no hassle) they used to lose quite regularly :P Went once to the swamp when we didn't have a game ,played Northampton and they lost  !:clap:

My dad was a gashead and used to take me to Eastville when I was a kid.

Years of therapy have allowed me to deal with this abuse, thus no thanks to the OP for reopening this painful wound.

Took my dad to watch them play yeovil once. Stood on the open terrace between the Chernobyl stand and the home end. Yeovil won. Didn't make a fuss when they scored but we were obviously clocked as a gap opened up all around us. Either that or I forgot to shower, but I thought that would have gone unnoticed. 

Once, my second game ever.

As a youngster with no real family affinity to either team I was open minded about which club to support other then I knew Bristol City represented the City and I wasn't really sure of the point of BRFC.

I went to AG first to try out the City, excellent atmosphere despite a 0 0 and I was immediately hooked by Tinnion geeing up the crowd.

A few weeks later I went to the Mem, total shithole slum with no atmosphere and I believe they lost 0-1 to a Chris Hargreaves Iower league clogger Northampton team. 

I was glad they lost and there was only one team for me after that. This would have been around 99/00 when the teams were fairly evenly matched.

Went to Eastville several times during the 70's, usually to see good teams that had fallen on hard times. Chelsea and Southamptom both come to mind, but there were others as well. 

Not at the Mem but in 1995 I think it was went to Wembley to watch them in playoff final against Huddersfield. A few of my old man’s friends were Gasheads but even as a 10 year old I knew this was wrong. I insisted on wearing my BCFC green and black replica goalkeeper top with Welch 1 on the back! Somehow got out alive. 

Can't remember the reason we went, but went with my dad to see them play Wolves at Eastville. Being massive City family we stood on the Muller Road end with about 3k Wolves fans. Wolves won 6-1 with John Richards and Alan Sunderland up front.

Yes, I have. 

In the Wycombe, the night they got relegated to the basement! 

Also once at Twerton, the day after we beat Liverpool. My rovers mate had a spare ticket so went in my city scarf and watched them Vs Reading. Surprise surprise, the chant dominating most of the night where monkey noises aimed at Shaka Hislop in the Reading goal. 

Nothing changes! 

2 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Can't remember the reason we went, but went with my dad to see them play Wolves at Eastville. Being massive City family we stood on the Muller Road end with about 3k Wolves fans. Wolves won 6-1 with John Richards and Alan Sunderland up front.

Wolves smashing the Bristolian team. Are you SURE you weren't at AG?

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Given they seem to lose any time a City fan is there, we'll have to send someone down every other week.

Or maybe they're just really shit.

We do. He plays up front for them..! 

#ellisisated