Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

bristolcitysweden

Ever watched Rovers at home not playing City?

When I lived in London, I went to watch West Ham v Rovers in 1993 as there was a chance the Hammers could send them down. The Gas took a beating and the sad sags, looking forlorn, were duly relegated. Stood right next to the away terrace, I duly unzipped my jacket, revealing my City shirt to the blue few while shouting obscenities and flicking the v’s -nearly causing a riot! Good times!

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Have to confess to doing this dozens of times . Used to go in the away end at Eastville to support the away team ! I was in the Chelsea end when they famously ripped the stadium and Stapleton Road to bits . That was an experience I'll never forget !! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Only at Eastville in the 70's - Man.Utd - to see Best, Law and Charlton etc, Sheff Utd, Watney Cup, Ipswich and Southampton in the F.A. Cup and West Ham when the City away game was called off on the day.

Always in the Open End supporting the away team, except West Ham where we ended up in the Enclosure with the triumphant West Ham fans - a motley crew if ever I saw one - being led past us to the Open End after going in the Tote End.

Fair bit of trouble at both the Southampton and West Ham games - the Rovers fans charging out of the Tote End to run the length of the pitch to confront the Southampton fans, all captured on West Match Special the next day iirc.

A girlfriend at the time who’s Dad was a staunch Gas head insisted I go with him to that Southampton game. Not sure why it kicked off but the Southampton fans decided to come on to the pitch which then prompted the Tote end to do the same. I was stood in the enclosure which if I recall was where the stand once stood before someone burnt it down??? Anyway, corner flags were used as weapons and a bit of handbags - more entertaining than the fare served up by the 2 sides on the pitch. Bombed her out a few months later as decided any thoughts of marrying into that lot was too much to put up with. In hindsight it may not have been a bad idea as the last 17 years may have been quite enjoyable

• Like 1

ok. In chronological order:

early 80s walked in for last few minutes of gas v newcastle played at ashton gate;

early-mid 1980s (?) paid to watch gas v swindon at ashton gate. No idea why. Accidently stood near city hoolies (yes city) when they tried to kick it off in the enclosure.

mid/late 80s paid to watch gas v Gillingham last game of the season at Twerton. 'Supporting' Rovers for the simple reason that Gillingham were vying with us for a the last play-off place. Needless to say the gas lost 1-0 with the Gills scoring from a corner in the last 10 minutes. 

Other than that I've seen Burnley v Stockport play-off final at Wembley and a friendly match at ashton gatem either for the city eight or to raise fund for city - i think it was southampton v ipswich (I'm probably wrong).

• Like 1

Went with my dad to Twerton when I was 8 to see Barnet play them. It was unmemorable except for running into one of my classmates who I didn't realise was Gas

• Like 1

Eastville was brilliant.  If the football was dire you could always watch the trains.

Two memories of watching Rovers stand out. Losing 3-0 to Leeds at half time in the old division 2 and coming back to draw.  Seeing Rovers, old division 3, have a real go against Everton away in the cup, 1968/69.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

ok. In chronological order:

early 80s walked in for last few minutes of gas v newcastle played at ashton gate;

early-mid 1980s (?) paid to watch gas v swindon at ashton gate. No idea why. Accidently stood near city hoolies (yes city) when they tried to kick it off in the enclosure.

mid/late 80s paid to watch gas v Gillingham last game of the season at Twerton. 'Supporting' Rovers for the simple reason that Gillingham were vying with us for a the last play-off place. Needless to say the gas lost 1-0 with the Gills scoring from a corner in the last 10 minutes. 

Other than that I've seen Burnley v Stockport play-off final at Wembley and a friendly match at ashton gatem either for the city eight or to raise fund for city - i think it was southampton v ipswich (I'm probably wrong).

Forgot that period.

Saw Rovers v Pompey at the Gate. Recognised a fair few fellow City fans in the enclosure, no bother though afair.

Remember after the Rovers/Swindon game the police reported there had been trouble and arrests but put it down to 'a 3rd party'.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Thank you all. Did not expect a 

Truth and reconciliation commission 

I'm impressed by your new forum persona as a thoughtful early morning thread starter Tommy. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Once, my second game ever.

As a youngster with no real family affinity to either team I was open minded about which club to support other then I knew Bristol City represented the City and I wasn't really sure of the point of BRFC.

I went to AG first to try out the City, excellent atmosphere despite a 0 0 and I was immediately hooked by Tinnion geeing up the crowd.

A few weeks later I went to the Mem, total shithole slum with no atmosphere and I believe they lost 0-1 to a Chris Hargreaves Iower league clogger Northampton team. 

I was glad they lost and there was only one team for me after that. This would have been around 99/00 when the teams were fairly evenly matched.

THAT was the one I went to !  :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went to watch them the season they went down to the conference on a Tuesday night with some friends who are gasheads....they lost 2-1 to Dagenham & Redbridge after going back 1-0 up early on through Jon-jo O'Toole...same night be beat Peterborough away 2-1 with Sam Baldock scoring twice...I was quite smug to say the least!

• Like 1

Only once in 1978 to see the return fixture of Rovers v Spurs (the first being the 9:0 encounter). It ended with spurs winning 3-2, remember the ground being pretty poor even then.

• Like 1

Yes, for my sins. In the early 80s I went to Eastville as a 'guest' of some friends of the family. Rovers were playing Spurs, (Spurs won I think). I can't remember all the details, but I think it was a benefit game of some sort. I remember being pretty impressed with Spurs.

• Like 1

Twice. Once as a kid in the late '70s at Eastville. My parents had some Swedish Friends who used to stay with us over Christmas. We would normally take them to see top flight Bristol City FC (as you all know, Swedes love their football), but this particular Christmas City were away. Gas versus Newcastle. I remember Peter Withe playing for the Toon. That's how long ago it was. Second occasion, when home from University I saw an FA cup 1st round match at Twerton Park with my brother. Here is my shocking secret - he is a gashead :o  (My dad was City, I am City, don't ask me how it happened, just an embarrassing family story) 

I have watched Djurgårdens IF, the team Engvall was loaned out to, several times in my youth as it was close to where I live. Remember always wearing my AIK shirt under my jacket. First time allowed to commute to an AIK game was as a fresh 13 year old in October 1974. Last home game of the season playing Åtvidabergs IF on the 30th of October. My two years younger brother is still a Djurgården fan. He don't care much about football though. He was only there to collect coins from under the stand to buy food. The gap to get under the stand was 20 cm. Since long he can not make it and even if he could the stand is since long gone. 

Edited by bristolcitysweden
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Forgot that period.

Saw Rovers v Pompey at the Gate. Recognised a fair few fellow City fans in the enclosure, no bother though afair.

Remember after the Rovers/Swindon game the police reported there had been trouble and arrests but put it down to 'a 3rd party'.

Ha. They started up city chants before kicking off and and were recognisable as CSF that used to go in the corner of the Grandstand. I pretty sure even the police actually knew who it was :)

• Like 1

"I also remember the fact that the IQ of the crowd was lower than I had experienced at any other ground in the league"  what a stupid comment .... could you produce some evidence?

Went twice.

First game I ever went to, Versus Chesterfield I think. Somehow my grandad got free tickets. I'd guess I was seven or eight. We were up high watching from behind a glass screen. Everything else I've blanked out.

Went while I was at University so would have been early to mid-eighties. My mate supported Millwall and we drove down on the spur of the moment. We couldn't get in the away end for some reason so we blagged our way into one of the Rovers' stands. I figured we'd try and lay low but my mate wasn't having any of it. He stood on his seat and started bellowing Millwall songs. Funnily enough the seats around us emptied pretty sharpish and we had no bother whatsoever. Pretty funny really as my mate was a toff who'd gone to Harrow and neither of us could fight our way out of a paper bag.

34 minutes ago, Jarman said:

"I also remember the fact that the IQ of the crowd was lower than I had experienced at any other ground in the league"  what a stupid comment .... could you produce some evidence?

I smell gas.

Used to go to Eastville alternate weeks with Ashton Gate. Many people did when football was a cheap day out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jarman said:

The evidence of his own eyes presumably? :dunno:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I remember going to Eastville 3 or 4 times in the 70's and quickly got bored with the quality of the football.

Istarted watching City in the 68-69 season, but.......

I went to Eastville for the Watney Cup Final (and yes, I cheered when Dick Shepherd saved the final penalty).

When Cambridge Utd were new to the League they were away to Rovers in the Cup, so I went to see what they were like. I left way before the end because the play was so dire.

I lived near Stokes Croft and used to walk up to Eastville through St Paul's regularly when City were away.

I remember the pies being better but also I felt slightly envious of the atmosphere and the supporters who seemed a bit more enthusiastic than those at Ashton Gate in those days. I did of course, wish for Rovers to lose but was often disappointed.

There were some good players - Jarman, Jones, Biggs, Hall, Mabbut come to mind. I remember watching one evening match whilst standing on the terrace a few yards away from two of my heroes Jantzen Derrick and Jack Connor.

Stopped going so much when I was old enough to travel to away matches.

1 hour ago, Jarman said:

The dress code for a start but, please, don't get us started cos we've got one thread over 600 pages long already.

5 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Eastville was brilliant.  If the football was dire you could always watch the trains.

Two memories of watching Rovers stand out. Losing 3-0 to Leeds at half time in the old division 2 and coming back to draw.  Seeing Rovers, old division 3, have a real go against Everton away in the cup, 1968/69.

Before the M32 was built, Ivor?

6 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Can't remember the reason we went, but went with my dad to see them play Wolves at Eastville. Being massive City family we stood on the Muller Road end with about 3k Wolves fans. Wolves won 6-1 with John Richards and Alan Sunderland up front.

I was there, it was 5-1. I think you may be getting confused with another game in Bristol that Wolves won 6-1.

• Haha 1

Went to a Rovers “home” game v Swindon down AG when they were homeless for a few weeks back in the 80s.

Organised by the “General” (those ITK, will know who I am on about), City had no game so a load of us decided to go down AG. There was 200+ City down AG and we were there in no.s all round the ground. Yeh it got a bit tasty as a lot of us got kicked out the ground by the OB and we just decided to all wait in the Park on a nice sunny day until 4.45pm.

But we were on a good run at the time and it was so funny for them to be in our ground for a home game with us there singing “one man went to mow” and all the rest. A Rovers fan I know still has nightmares about that game. Great day.

Imaging us having to go to the Mem to watch City play a home game!!! 

• Like 1

A few times in the mid 90s as a teenager I worked on the catering at Trumpton. Got a bit of stick from a few people that recognised me but on the flip side I never had to face the pitch

5 hours ago, OneCity said:

Yes, for my sins. In the early 80s I went to Eastville as a 'guest' of some friends of the family. Rovers were playing Spurs, (Spurs won I think). I can't remember all the details, but I think it was a benefit game of some sort. I remember being pretty impressed with Spurs.

Any idea of the date? I went to that through school. 50p a ticket. It was a Gary Mabbutt organised charity match in aid of some cancer charity. 

Was there Good Friday 75. long story but it was a weekend on the piss back in Bristol with a couple of mates.

It was a 1/1 draw with manu great result as were in with the mancs and wanted both teams to lose.

City spoiled the weekend by getting beat 1/0 by Norwich at the gate the next day!!!

I remember my uncle taking me to see Rovers play a league game at Ashton gate as he said they might go out of business I was like 10 and 42 now. They were 2-0 up at half time vs Swindle and lost 2-3. The funny thing is I went with my Gas cousin to watch England U16 at mem too and my City uncle ripped me a new one saying I was lining rovers pockets :laugh:. Never been since

Many times in the 1950's and even in the 1960's. Remember there wasn't any TV football so preferred a game than none at all. 

Teams ranged from Everton, Liverpool, Leicester City to Workington and Barrow. Paid my money to Rovers but always wanted an away win! 

Righty or wrongly but years ago it was quite common to watch City one week and Rovers the next.

• Like 4

No, never have and probably never will.

Have got mates who are City fans who, due to sponsorship connections have often asked if I want to go to a gash game including free hospitality. Can't do it. Maybe I should go and drink free ale but I would feel somewhat......sullied.

And also, I haven't had me jabs lately.

• Like 1

did many years ago against sunderland if city won and sunderland lost we went top of old 2nd division the season we were promoted but you can imagine how uncomfortable i felt i was only a few yards away from the famous gas fan dolan  

12 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Righty or wrongly but years ago it was quite common to watch City one week and Rovers the next.

My Dad (who passed away 3 weeks tomorrow)  never got the rovers hate. He was City through and through but could name some great rovers players from the 50s,early 60s.

• Like 1

I've never had the misfortune to watch the fewers when it's not a derby and I can't imagine it ever happening. I didn't even like going past Eastville on the M32 when they were playing.

20 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

My Dad (who passed away 3 weeks tomorrow)  never got the rovers hate. He was City through and through but could name some great rovers players from the 50s,early 60s.

Sorry to hear of your loss Stephen.  Many of us back in the day were City through and through but just enjoyed watching football one way or the other just like your Dad.  May he sleep well and keep his eye over us. I wish you only the best for the future. Good luck my friend.

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1

Nearly, but not quite. Around 2010ish, a couple of Brentford supporting mates came up for a game vs the blue few. I joined them for a few jars in town and they pulled my leg into paying on the day and standing with them in the away end. The closer I got to Gloucester road and the more blue and white quartered clown outfits I saw, the more I realised that I couldn't go through with it and enter that cesspit. So I bailed out at around 2:40 and went back to town!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Nearly, but not quite. Around 2010ish, a couple of Brentford supporting mates came up for a game vs the blue few. I joined them for a few jars in town and they pulled my leg into paying on the day and standing with them in the away end. The closer I got to Gloucester road and the more blue and white quartered clown outfits I saw, the more I realised that I couldn't go through with it and enter that cesspit. So I bailed out at around 2:40 and went back to town!

Some of us have become infected.  There was a time when it was quite normal believe it of not.

Edited by BigTone

Went to watch Rovers play Wolves in the Watney Cup in 1972. My brother - late of this parish - had Wolves as a second team, hence the visit on a lovely summers day as I recall. To my immense shame I delighted in Rovers beating them...such is sibling rivalry...

• Like 1

My old man took me down Eastville to watch Fulham when they had George Best, Bobby Moore and Rodney Marsh. He said he always wanted me to remember watching England's world cup winning captain and the best player in the world (George) I was about 6 or 7 and can't remember much about it!!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Went to watch Rovers play Wolves in the Watney Cup in 1972. My brother - late of this parish - had Wolves as a second team, hence the visit on a lovely summers day as I recall. To my immense shame I delighted in Rovers beating them...such is sibling rivalry...

Yes, but a day you will always remember always for non footballing reasons.  Good luck !!

• Like 1

I am VERY VERY SORRY but have to say yes

Gas mates of mine had VIP tickets for a game v Cheltenham

They were having a day on the lash around Bristol then off to the game

Went out with them Then used one of their season tickets

Dont pay for the ticket or buy anything at the ground (food or drink)

Ps Cheltenham won 1-2 

Once again very very sorry

Went to the Wycombe game when they went down. But we did go with a Wycombe fan and a few birds - wasn't an antagonistic visit- just very funny in the end. Also been a fair few times with my Exeter supporting mate. It truly is a proper shite hole.