Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Ever watched Rovers at home not playing City?


bristolcitysweden

Recommended Posts

Went to the Memorial for Rugby years ago, and I went for something with a gAss mate. Really can't remember what it was, must have been football though I remember wearing my City shirt.

We ( me and a couple of mates all life long City) used to go to Eastville every week. Born and brought up in St. Werburghs it was a short-ish walk and being young we weren't allowed to cross town on our own until 9/10. Went to reserve games one week first team the next, we were just mad about football (this was a little before the hatred set in). I remember going for the City game there, covered in red scarves walking across the tote end on my own, would have been 7/8. It pretty much stopped as soon as I was trusted on the bus on my own so I could get to the Gate.

 

Just saw @pillred's post and remembered , we started going back supporting the away teams for a while, Chelsea, Forest , Wolves saw them take some beatings on and off the pitch . There was an incident with spray cans too, I'll just say Banksy was never worried.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Gifford said:

The only time I've been was THAT game when they played Mansfield.

 

8 minutes ago, Rule The Waves said:

Yes - once, but it was the famous day vs Mansfield.

A subcontractor of ours is one of their main sponsors, and have a box (which at the Mem literally means cardboard box).

As they had beaten Wycombe the week before and knowing I’m City, the smug owner of the company asked if I wanted to go to witness their survival first hand - so I took them up on the offer and had an absolute ball!

 

New thread on gaschat incoming...

"Breaking: Teds finally admit being at the Mem on 'that' day"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to go in hospitality once for a stag do. 3 teds amongst 10 gas heads. Decent carvery and the best thing was the game was dire and the gas lost. Hearing all the moaning nearly compensated for the fact I had put £60 in their coffers. Had so called their best seats in the stand. Thought they were having a laugh. Absolutely awful. A total dump.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a kid in the late 60's/ early 70's with some school mates, at Eastville, boring 1-1 draw against some northern team, can not remember who.

Favourite Eastville memory was City winning 5-0 in the Gloucester Cup. Getting in & out was a mission due to full scale terrace / street skinhead battles. Educational for a young kid at the time

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Rule The Waves said:

Yes - once, but it was the famous day vs Mansfield.

A subcontractor of ours is one of their main sponsors, and have a box (which at the Mem literally means cardboard box).

As they had beaten Wycombe the week before and knowing I’m City, the smug owner of the company asked if I wanted to go to witness their survival first hand - so I took them up on the offer and had an absolute ball!

 

So they were right then. They ground was full of City!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only at Eastville in the 70's - Man.Utd - to see Best, Law and Charlton etc, Sheff Utd, Watney Cup, Ipswich and Southampton in the F.A. Cup and West Ham when the City away game was called off on the day.

Always in the Open End supporting the away team, except West Ham where we ended up in the Enclosure with the triumphant West Ham fans - a motley crew if ever I saw one - being led past us to the Open End after going in the Tote End.

Fair bit of trouble at both the Southampton and West Ham games - the Rovers fans charging out of the Tote End to run the length of the pitch to confront the Southampton fans, all captured on West Match Special the next day iirc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

No, I have found it difficult to go to City away games there, I could never bear  the thought of contributing a single penny of mine to their coffers.

My old man a City fan for over 30 years has never once gone to watch City at Rovers for that one reason. I simply havent had the opportunity to have that chance because for 18 years watching City we have had them away twice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Took my dad to watch them play yeovil once. Stood on the open terrace between the Chernobyl stand and the home end. Yeovil won. Didn't make a fuss when they scored but we were obviously clocked as a gap opened up all around us. Either that or I forgot to shower, but I thought that would have gone unnoticed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Once, my second game ever.

As a youngster with no real family affinity to either team I was open minded about which club to support other then I knew Bristol City represented the City and I wasn't really sure of the point of BRFC.

I went to AG first to try out the City, excellent atmosphere despite a 0 0 and I was immediately hooked by Tinnion geeing up the crowd.

A few weeks later I went to the Mem, total shithole slum with no atmosphere and I believe they lost 0-1 to a Chris Hargreaves Iower league clogger Northampton team. 

I was glad they lost and there was only one team for me after that. This would have been around 99/00 when the teams were fairly evenly matched.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to Eastville several times during the 70's, usually to see good teams that had fallen on hard times. Chelsea and Southamptom both come to mind, but there were others as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not at the Mem but in 1995 I think it was went to Wembley to watch them in playoff final against Huddersfield. A few of my old man’s friends were Gasheads but even as a 10 year old I knew this was wrong. I insisted on wearing my BCFC green and black replica goalkeeper top with Welch 1 on the back! Somehow got out alive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I have. 

In the Wycombe, the night they got relegated to the basement! 

Also once at Twerton, the day after we beat Liverpool. My rovers mate had a spare ticket so went in my city scarf and watched them Vs Reading. Surprise surprise, the chant dominating most of the night where monkey noises aimed at Shaka Hislop in the Reading goal. 

Nothing changes! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Can't remember the reason we went, but went with my dad to see them play Wolves at Eastville. Being massive City family we stood on the Muller Road end with about 3k Wolves fans. Wolves won 6-1 with John Richards and Alan Sunderland up front.

Wolves smashing the Bristolian team. Are you SURE you weren't at AG?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Given they seem to lose any time a City fan is there, we'll have to send someone down every other week.

 

Or maybe they're just really shit.

We do. He plays up front for them..! 

#ellisisated

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I lived in London, I went to watch West Ham v Rovers in 1993 as there was a chance the Hammers could send them down. The Gas took a beating and the sad sags, looking forlorn, were duly relegated. Stood right next to the away terrace, I duly unzipped my jacket, revealing my City shirt to the blue few while shouting obscenities and flicking the v’s -nearly causing a riot! Good times!

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Only at Eastville in the 70's - Man.Utd - to see Best, Law and Charlton etc, Sheff Utd, Watney Cup, Ipswich and Southampton in the F.A. Cup and West Ham when the City away game was called off on the day.

Always in the Open End supporting the away team, except West Ham where we ended up in the Enclosure with the triumphant West Ham fans - a motley crew if ever I saw one - being led past us to the Open End after going in the Tote End.

Fair bit of trouble at both the Southampton and West Ham games - the Rovers fans charging out of the Tote End to run the length of the pitch to confront the Southampton fans, all captured on West Match Special the next day iirc.

A girlfriend at the time who’s Dad was a staunch Gas head insisted I go with him to that Southampton game. Not sure why it kicked off but the Southampton fans decided to come on to the pitch which then prompted the Tote end to do the same. I was stood in the enclosure which if I recall was where the stand once stood before someone burnt it down??? Anyway, corner flags were used as weapons and a bit of handbags - more entertaining than the fare served up by the 2 sides on the pitch. Bombed her out a few months later as decided any thoughts of marrying into that lot was too much to put up with. In hindsight it may not have been a bad idea as the last 17 years may have been quite enjoyable

Link to post
Share on other sites

ok. In chronological order:

early 80s walked in for last few minutes of gas v newcastle played at ashton gate;

early-mid 1980s (?) paid to watch gas v swindon at ashton gate. No idea why. Accidently stood near city hoolies (yes city) when they tried to kick it off in the enclosure.

mid/late 80s paid to watch gas v Gillingham last game of the season at Twerton. 'Supporting' Rovers for the simple reason that Gillingham were vying with us for a the last play-off place. Needless to say the gas lost 1-0 with the Gills scoring from a corner in the last 10 minutes. 

Other than that I've seen Burnley v Stockport play-off final at Wembley and a friendly match at ashton gatem either for the city eight or to raise fund for city - i think it was southampton v ipswich (I'm probably wrong).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Eastville was brilliant.  If the football was dire you could always watch the trains.

Two memories of watching Rovers stand out. Losing 3-0 to Leeds at half time in the old division 2 and coming back to draw.  Seeing Rovers, old division 3, have a real go against Everton away in the cup, 1968/69.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

ok. In chronological order:

early 80s walked in for last few minutes of gas v newcastle played at ashton gate;

early-mid 1980s (?) paid to watch gas v swindon at ashton gate. No idea why. Accidently stood near city hoolies (yes city) when they tried to kick it off in the enclosure.

mid/late 80s paid to watch gas v Gillingham last game of the season at Twerton. 'Supporting' Rovers for the simple reason that Gillingham were vying with us for a the last play-off place. Needless to say the gas lost 1-0 with the Gills scoring from a corner in the last 10 minutes. 

Other than that I've seen Burnley v Stockport play-off final at Wembley and a friendly match at ashton gatem either for the city eight or to raise fund for city - i think it was southampton v ipswich (I'm probably wrong).

Forgot that period.

Saw Rovers v Pompey at the Gate. Recognised a fair few fellow City fans in the enclosure, no bother though afair.

Remember after the Rovers/Swindon game the police reported there had been trouble and arrests but put it down to 'a 3rd party'.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Once, my second game ever.

As a youngster with no real family affinity to either team I was open minded about which club to support other then I knew Bristol City represented the City and I wasn't really sure of the point of BRFC.

I went to AG first to try out the City, excellent atmosphere despite a 0 0 and I was immediately hooked by Tinnion geeing up the crowd.

A few weeks later I went to the Mem, total shithole slum with no atmosphere and I believe they lost 0-1 to a Chris Hargreaves Iower league clogger Northampton team. 

I was glad they lost and there was only one team for me after that. This would have been around 99/00 when the teams were fairly evenly matched.

THAT was the one I went to !  :P

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...