Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

AppyDAZE

More VAR fun

When it's that close I would of given it as a goal. 

I.e. If it's Bristol City I would say goal if it was against I would say no goal. 

Am I right hearing too the guy that said no goal is miles away from the game!! 

3 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

The corrected line showed at half time did show Mata was offside? It worked imho.

Dont think that is offside.

15 minutes ago, Super said:

Needs to be scrapped! That line wasnt even straight!

No it doesn't need scrapping. 

It needs fine tuning. With any new technology there'll be teething problems as we saw just now.

• Like 6

Earlier in the game I heard the commentator say "It'll be interesting if they score from this corner, as it may well not count"

Uh?   This is just plain silly

• Like 2

Give the assistant a bit of a break - that decision was fractional. Can you seriously blame someone for making a real-time assessment at that fine a call? The VAR is there to sort out the clear and flagrant stuff, and so leave this level to the match officials.

• Like 2

They also said. This is the evidence they used . Then after the break the VAR ref said that wasn’t the evidence they used. Very confusing. Cricket and rugby I agree they need the technology. Not football 

Can we just ******* pack it in and go back to the way it was?

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Agreed to a certain point. 

Edited by roddy-d

22 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

So you're happy to lose a match when the winning goal was offside?   :dunno:

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

yep - and think of all the scenarios you can and I still am  - I hate VAR - if we got to the Play Off Final because of a dodgy decision I would :laugh: - if we lost a play off final place because of a dodgy decision I would be gutted but I could move on - for me if you want VAR you may as well play FIFA - real football has incidents and some mistakes always has and that is why we have loved it since we were kids - VAR etc is all about money and TV - get rid

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

It will be a good tool down the road. They meed to pack in how much they use it though. Ridiculous to use it for offsides imo. It is what the lino is for and that human part of the game makes it a good product. 

Think it should be used to look at straight red cards(possible to change), fouls inside/outside the box and possibly penalty decision on a challenge basis. 

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No but it`s all part of the game. We lose a game that way but win next week due to a penalty we should never have got. Would you be happy to have the game stopped ten times so a screen can be examined and lose all the flow? I know I wouldn`t.

Football is not a game of absolutes and trying to make it one ruins the spectacle. Part of the experience is debating what the ref got wrong/right and is part of why we love the game so much.

Get rid of it I say. There are far more important things to concentrate on like retrospective punishments for diving and dangerous play. This is just technology for technology`s sake.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Markman said:

yep - and think of all the scenarios you can and I still am  - I hate VAR - if we got to the Play Off Final because of a dodgy decision I would :laugh: - if we lost a play off final place because of a dodgy decision I would be gutted but I could move on - for me if you want VAR you may as well play FIFA - real football has incidents and some mistakes always has and that is why we have loved it since we were kids - VAR etc is all about money and TV - get rid

Your arguement is similar to the one used by some cricket lovers when DRS was introduced.

Now it's an integral part of cricket. Why? because the right decision is made.

Once VAR is working effectively and efficiently it'll be a useful addition to the game. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

No but it`s all part of the game. We lose a game that way but win next week due to a penalty we should never have got. Would you be happy to have the game stopped ten times so a screen can be examined and lose all the flow? I know I wouldn`t.

Football is not a game of absolutes and trying to make it one ruins the spectacle. Part of the experience is debating what the ref got wrong/right and is part of why we love the game so much.

Get rid of it I say. There are far more important things to concentrate on like retrospective punishments for diving and dangerous play. This is just technology for technology`s sake.

Agree 100%. Football is a game where even when we see an incident played back from 20 different angles we still don't always get consensus on what the right decision is. Its the human element that makes it what it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I don't know, I think it does/will detract from the actual matchday experience if you're sat about waiting for officials to make a decision. The appeal of football is the ecstasy of celebration, and I'm very wary of VAR in that respect.

The actual result isn't all that matters, anyway. I want to enjoy the experience of watching football as well.

It's introduction is about stirring up conversation for pundits, so Sky can strap more people to the giant flaming TV bubble zeppelin.

Edited by ZiderEyed
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I don't know, I think it does/will detract from the actual matchday experience if you're sat about waiting for officials to make a decision. The appeal of football is the ecstasy of celebration, and I'm very wary of VAR in that respect.

The actual result isn't all that matters, anyway. I want to enjoy the experience of watching football as well.

It's introduction is about stirring up conversation for pundits, so Sky can strap more people to the giant flaming TV bubble zeppelin.

I agree with your first two points but your third one.................:rofl2br:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I agree with your first two points but your third one.................:rofl2br:

I don`t know why you find this so amusing as @ZiderEyed  has absolutely hit the nail on the head here. The introduction of this bollocks is nothing whatsoever to do with the fans at the match and completely to do with the ever circling was it/wasn`t it debates in pubs and TV studios up and down the land. It is being introduced so that Sky`s highly paid pundits have something else to bang on about in an attempt to justify their existences and for countless plastic fans to have something to talk about at work on Monday.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Earlier in the game I heard the commentator say "It'll be interesting if they score from this corner, as it may well not count"

Yes......Where is the cut-off point?
First touch, second touch, when the ball finally leaves the 18 yard box?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I don`t know why you find this so amusing as @ZiderEyed  has absolutely hit the nail on the head here. The introduction of this bollocks is nothing whatsoever to do with the fans at the match and completely to do with the ever circling was it/wasn`t it debates in pubs and TV studios up and down the land. It is being introduced so that Sky`s highly paid pundits have something else to bang on about in an attempt to justify their existences and for countless plastic fans to have something to talk about at work on Monday.

It's laughable to suggest that VAR is designed to fuel controversy for pundits.......ffs........

They have enough controversy already without  VAR. 

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It's laughable to suggest that VAR is designed to fuel controversy for pundits.......ffs........

They have enough controversy already without  VAR. 

Since you appear to be pretty much the only one in favour of this nonsense can you explain to the rest of us how waiting five minutes for the referee to decide whether or not a goal should be allowed would enhance the spectator experience at a live match because I`m at a loss to see how it would.

Football is not an exact science and that is a large part of what makes it what it is. Perhaps you will be happier watching the game as if it were on TV with the benefit of a hundred replays from every conceivable angle but I`m not and never will be.

I would rather ten decisions were incorrect than the game was stopped ten times to make sure they weren`t. I suspect the vast majority of fans who actually go to games would agree.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Yes......Where is the cut-off point?
First touch, second touch, when the ball finally leaves the 18 yard box?

Sod it, let's make it the day after the game

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

They’ve just let an 8 year old on Paint. Look at that :rofl2br:

B962C9D0-7B06-4190-A2F2-22506C194CE8.jpeg

What they might have found useful is if there was a straight line, let's say about 18 yards from the goal for an example, that went the majority of the way across the pitch that they could have used as a guide.

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Since you appear to be pretty much the only one in favour of this nonsense can you explain to the rest of us how waiting five minutes for the referee to decide whether or not a goal should be allowed would enhance the spectator experience at a live match because I`m at a loss to see how it would.

Football is not an exact science and that is a large part of what makes it what it is. Perhaps you will be happier watching the game as if it were on TV with the benefit of a hundred replays from every conceivable angle but I`m not and never will be.

I would rather ten decisions were incorrect than the game was stopped ten times to make sure they weren`t. I suspect the vast majority of fans who actually go to games would agree.

Won't someone spare a thought for the Dolman early leavers?

They'd have to leave on 75 to catch the 76 !

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Because the ball was out of the quadrant.

35 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

VAR is in its infancy but like all new technologies will improve with use. Cricket and rugby had similar teething problems.

My personal view is that VAR is a result of so many wrong decisions effecting results that has led to increasing amounts of critical comments from pundits and of course managers who end up getting fined.

Last season City received 7 letters of apology from the Referee Association after their referees had made the wrong decision against City.

VAR will hopefully reduced the number of wrong decisions but currently is a work in progress.

• Like 1

As I was saying the over use of technology kills the game, any game, OK with tennis it is file lines, and actually adds to the occasion, tracking the flight of the ball and where it lands, and done so quick.

So I am right then?:yes:

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

What they might have found useful is if there was a straight line, let's say about 18 yards from the goal for an example, that went the majority of the way across the pitch that they could have used as a guide.

Didn't we have the 18yd line go right across the width of the pitch in the 70s when it was the offside line for an experimental season? Attackers only became offside when they were closer to the goal than 18yds, not the opponents' half as it is now.

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

VAR is in its infancy but like all new technologies will improve with use. Cricket and rugby had similar teething problems.

Both are stop/start sports with significant breaks in play all the time. Football is not.

What will happen is that officials will be so terrified of getting a decision wrong that they will review everything just to be sure. We`ll be lucky if the match is finished by 5:30.

My personal view is that VAR is a result of so many wrong decisions effecting results that has led to increasing amounts of critical comments from pundits and of course managers who end up getting fined.

So what? it has always been thus and who cares what pundits have to say? Managers need to learn to button it if they don`t want a fine and if they can`t it`s their own fault. You never hear them saying `I thought our second goal was offside` do you? All that will happen is that the likes of Warnock will start criticizing the referee`s interpretation of the pictures rather than his decision in the first place.

Last season City received 7 letters of apology from the Referee Association after their referees had made the wrong decision against City.

Again, so what? It`s part of the game.

VAR will hopefully reduced the number of wrong decisions but currently is a work in progress.

I would ask you again, how will your match day experience/enjoyment be enhanced by constant stop/start play with five minute delays in decisions being made?

As I said in a previous post, it`s technology for technology`s sake and it is not appropriate or necessary in football. It will destroy the game we love as a spectacle and reduce it to some sort of live version of Football Manager. I for one don`t want that to happen. You might, I don`t know.

• Like 1

Make no mistake VAR will kill the game as we know it. Yes in rugby they tend to get to the correct decision (im sure welsh fans might possibly debate that at the moment)  but you can barley celebrate a try as it always has to get reviewed.

If that’s what you want from football then good luck to you but as I’ve already said, once this nonsense comes in full time that’s me done with my ST.

I want to be able to celebrate a goal there and then not wait for someone else to make a decision.

• Like 1