IGNORED

England squad v Netherlands & Italy

Bryans Left Peg

10 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

We play some lovely stuff when playing and running behind the defence. Teams will press us because we don’t hold the ball well but this counteracts it rather nicely.  Defensively we still look unsteady and teams in WC will surely exploit it

6 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Stirling has been superb this half in that central role . The pace we have up front is frightening . If only we weren't so full of uncertainty at the back ! 

I am just really pleased to see players playing for England the way they do at club level. By that I mean not trying to play some sort of "international" style that they are not used to. Southgate deserves some credit for encouraging them to play to their strengths. I think the defensive side will come with confidence and a settled side. We have a different keeper and a debutant tonight so not surprising that they had a shaky start. Stones has got stronger as the game goes on though.

Shaky start by England and had Italy been more clinical we could have gone 1 or 2 behind. It was good to see the quick thinking for our goal and a great finish by Vardy. England seemed to grow in confidence after that and finished the half quite strongly.

Without a doubt we will get caught out in Russia defensively. We seem pretty clumsy and hesitant moving the ball around.

It’s all well and good Butland starting from the back but you need the players to do it. Just need to be more savvy with the ball defensively, otherwise we will be punished. It’s lucky Italy have missed two sitters tonight before going 1-0 up!

As an attacking unit, it looks good. Very impressive 

11 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Stirling has been superb this half in that central role . The pace we have up front is frightening . If only we weren't so full of uncertainty at the back ! 

Watch very little top league football, and not really seen Stirling play for ages.

As such, previously always viewed him as running down blind ally’s, making the wrong choices and giving the ball away. Given that, very impressed with him last two matches. Much more disciplined and purposeful.

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

Watch very top league football, and not really seen Stirling play for ages.

As such, previously always viewed him as running down blind ally’s, making the wrong choices and giving the ball away. As such, very impressed with him last two matches. Much more disciplined and purposeful.

He looks so much stronger in the upper body too. I know white shirts under lights make players look bigger, but he has definitely filled out.

2 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Scored just after I was telling my colleague I consider Vardy to be an overrated yard-dog.

If your colleague has seen Jamie Vardy during the last 2/3 seasons, then he’ll probably be baffled by you as well..!

35 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Has improved so much from playing under Pep.

27 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Without a doubt we will get caught out in Russia defensively. We seem pretty clumsy and hesitant moving the ball around.

It’s all well and good Butland starting from the back but you need the players to do it. Just need to be more savvy with the ball defensively, otherwise we will be punished. It’s lucky Italy have missed two sitters tonight before going 1-0 up!

As an attacking unit, it looks good. Very impressive 

We all know we wont win it but will be nice to go out there and play some decent attacking football instead of stinking the place out again. If we make the QF i think thats a decent effort.

Personally I will be very happy if England can perform like this in the tournament, I don't expect us to win it of course, but as long as I see the players expressing themselves in the way they do at club level that will be a huge improvement. 

I also think it being in slightly cooler temperatures in Russia will help us.

46 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Watch very little top league football, and not really seen Stirling play for ages.

As such, previously always viewed him as running down blind ally’s, making the wrong choices and giving the ball away. Given that, very impressed with him last two matches. Much more disciplined and purposeful.

Pep’s project.

Also don’t understand the dislike, bordering on hatred, for John Stone’s on this forum. He’s the basis from which England have to play from, and is not a bad defender, despite being prone to an error. 

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It may have debatably been a penalty but it certainly was not a clear and obvious error. They really need to clarify the guidelines.

They really just need to stop this nonesense and stop it immediatley as it’s a load of shite 

7 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It may have debatably been a penalty but it certainly was not a clear and obvious error. They really need to clarify the guidelines.

Indeed they do.

That said, it was a penalty but how the decision was made to use VAR was made is unclear 

13 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Indeed they do.

That said, it was a penalty but how the decision was made to use VAR was made is unclear 

I still think they need the equivalent of "umpires call" in cricket. If it is not clear enough to override the original decision then it stands.

Well, may be in a minority of one here but the bloke was already half way down before impact on his foot. So he’d already launched himself into a dive before he was contacted. Certainly,  no way was that clear or obvious in my mind. Referees instinct -and he had a clear view -  was right. Should have been booked for ungentlemanly conduct, foul awarded to England and the referee stamp on his other foot. 

12 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Well, may be in a minority of one here but the bloke was already half way down before impact on his foot. So he’d already launched himself into a dive before he was contacted. Certainly,  no way was that clear or obvious in my mind. Referees instinct -and he had a clear view -  was right. Should have been booked for ungentlemanly conduct, foul awarded to England and the referee stamp on his other foot. 

The minority is at least two. I'd started to write this before I saw your post....

Assuming the offence was Tarkowski standing on the Italian's foot then I am unclear which of the following offences he was considered to have committed.  

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent

• trips or attempts to trip an opponent

• jumps at an opponent

• charges an opponent

• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent

• pushes an opponent

• tackles an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following three offences:

• holds an opponent

• spits at an opponent

• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area) 

It could only possibly be the highlighted ones, I think. Excessive force it wasn't and I don't think it's reckless. There's no tackle, so it can't be that. Is it a "careless" kick? I don't believe it's a trip, as the Italian is on his way down before the relevant contact. If incidental contact where a player ends up on the floor always resulted in a free kick the game would be finished. On the other hand, if referees actually applied the laws on holding and pushing the game might improve..

On 22/03/2018 at 13:18, CHIPLEY RED said:

So he can give them all 1/2 a game each then make a decision based on that. Totally unfair IMO. We know what Hart can and can't do so why have successive England managers continued to play him in friendlies which leaves us going into a World Cup not knowing which keeper to pick. Should have used previous friendlies to give the number 2 a decent chance.

Well that worked well! Hart just took up a squad place and played zero minutes in these two friendlies and the same with Pope...waste of time...

22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

You'd seriously have kane on the bench!?

It’s amazing isn’t it. For once, England have a truely world class striker, possibly ,or probably, the best in the world. Yet there’s a fair amount of people saying Vardy should start ahead of him. 

Archived