IGNORED

Do we need further proof

Ivorguy

Today's Times reports that England will start the World Cup with a disadvantage.

Our team, and most importantly the goalies, will be preparing with the wrong ball.  This is because the cup ball is made by Adidas and England have a financial deal with Nike, meaning we can only play one pre cup game with the correct ball.  Given that both the German and Spanish goalkeepers have already complained about the cup ball - it is coated with protective plastic and is thus difficult to hold, this is bad news for England.

A clear example of how business trumps sport in modern day football, and not just at City.

I find this story deeply depressing.  I would dearly love to know what Southgate really thinks.

Actually this is good news for England and only England. The ball is coated with protective plastic and thus difficult to hold, you say. Well England are the only team in the last X amount of tournaments who play like the ball is a hot potato and thus difficult to hold. At last, we have a distinct advantage. Every other nation will have to play our way, the ball is a hot potato way. We are undisputed masters of this style.

2 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Actually this is good news for England and only England. The ball is coated with protective plastic and thus difficult to hold, you say. Well England are the only team in the last X amount of tournaments who play like the ball is a hot potato and thus difficult to hold. At last, we have a distinct advantage. Every other nation will have to play our way, the ball is a hot potato way. We are undisputed masters of this style.

Exactamundo. Joe Hart couldn't catch a cold.

30 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Today's Times reports that England will start the World Cup with a disadvantage.

Our team, and most importantly the goalies, will be preparing with the wrong ball.  This is because the cup ball is made by Adidas and England have a financial deal with Nike, meaning we can only play one pre cup game with the correct ball.  Given that both the German and Spanish goalkeepers have already complained about the cup ball - it is coated with protective plastic and is thus difficult to hold, this is bad news for England.

A clear example of how business trumps sport in modern day football, and not just at City.

I find this story deeply depressing.  I would dearly love to know what Southgate really thinks.

Based on some of his selection and tactical decisions, I reckon it's this.

Stupid Homer Simpson GIF

31 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

If , indeed , he does .

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Persisting with Joe Hart is one that immediately springs to mind.

That said, as noted in another thread earlier, I thought we did good v the Netherlands, and some of the credit goes to Southgate.

Seeing the way Rashford, Sterling and Lingard were knocking the ball around I thought I was watching Reid, Paterson and Brownhill. Has Southgate been picking Lee Johnson's brain?

4 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

All this tampering with the balls, Ivor. I blame FIFA's "leadership group," trying to undermine old Engerland.

I’ve never understood all this complaining about the ball doing this & that in the air & the keepers not being able to handle it, surely it says more for the keepers than anything else, they are paid extortionate amounts of money & they aren’t able to do their job of stopping the ball from going in their net.

It’s not like the ball is bending around right-angles & with the size of the wicket-keeping gloves that goalkeepers now use, they should be able to stop the ball one way or another? Most of them don’t try catching the ball anymore anyway.

Archived