IGNORED

WTF. Our record with extra training and preparation.

Olé

Thanks @Olé. I now know what has been niggling me so much about Dubai. It was the previous failures following extended breaks that had obviously built up over time.

Amazing to think that with a record like that we actually took them there in the first place.

And they want to be loved? Taking the ******* piss out of the club more like.

Boo! Not good enough, work harder in training, get back to work.

23 hours ago, Olé said:

Full disclosure - I don't believe in players simply lacking interest or not manning up. I prefer Occam's Razor - the most obvious conclusion is usually the right one. To me the obvious conclusion is that the instructions simply don't work. On that note, something has been nagging at me for a while now so I decided to check it. 

In his time as Bristol City manager, LJ's record from games in the week after given extra time to specifically train and prepare the team is P17 W1 D6 L10 F13 A33. At worst I'd expect with extra preparation the team should be no worse than average, ideally better prepared. I certainly wouldn't expect it to be consistently awful. 

What are we doing in training? Are the players confused? Tired? Something is very wrong here. There's too much data for it to be a coincidence. People with long memories of our performances will recognise many of our worst and most inexplicably bad displays are in this list. Go figure.

(10 Day break due to Cup Rearrangement)
L 0-4 Brighton (H)

(International Break)
L 0-4 Hull (A)
D 1-1 Rotherham (H)

(International Break)
D 2-2 Rotherham (A)
L 2-3 Sheffield Wed (A)

(International Break)
L 1-2 Cardiff (A)
L 0-1 QPR (A)

(International Break)
L 0-1 Birmingham (A)

(International Break)
L 0-2 Brentford (A)
L 0-5 Preston (A)

(International Break)
W 1-0 Reading (A)

(International Break)
D 0-0 Burton (H)

(International Break)
D 0-0 Sheffield Wed (A)
L 1-2 Preston (H)

(Warm Weather Training - Dubai)
D 3-3 Sunderland (H)

(International Break)
D 2-2 Barnsley (A)
L 0-1 Brentford (H)

Its an interesting topic but what are the players doing in training?

Training is either periodized or episodic. There are then differing themes within. Periodized training is more effective due to time scale and humans ability to learn. 

If Mr Johnson takes players away to look at something quite different the training will be more episodic. Players  learning will not be as in depth because that is how the human brain works. 

Your point about instructions not working often they will not thoroughly without enough time being dedicated to that task in training. That can lead to confidence issues - Did Brentford look more confident at their work v Bristol City for instance? Do Brentford use differing styles frequently ... Another topic there.

27 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Let's hope LJ and the team are aware of this and changing things accordingly. 

Believe he is as he referenced it in his press conference after Blackburn.

But if he wasn't..... Bristol Sport's Head of Communications recently posted on the bristolrugby.net site to say they monitor that forum on a daily basis (he was posting an invitation for rugby supporters to leave feedback, suggestions, requests etc.)

If the Head of Communications monitors the rugby forum on a daily basis, I think we can safely assume someone does likewise for this one. Whether they do so just for the purposes of customer service and nothing else, who knows? 

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Believe he is as he referenced it in his press conference after Blackburn.

But if he wasn't..... Bristol Sport's Head of Communications recently posted on the bristolrugby.net site to say they monitor that forum on a daily basis (he was posting an invitation for rugby supporters to leave feedback, suggestions, requests etc.)

If the Head of Communications monitors the rugby forum on a daily basis, I think we can safely assume someone does likewise for this one. Whether they do so just for the purposes of customer service and nothing else, who knows? 

This forum is 100% monitored by the club. I gave out a piece of info once about a coach who was previously connected with the club (not at the time) before it was official, unbeknown to me, and got pulled for it!!!

51 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

This forum is 100% monitored by the club. I gave out a piece of info once about a coach who was previously connected with the club (not at the time) before it was official, unbeknown to me, and got pulled for it!!!

The question is not is it monitored, but is it officially monitored. 

We know Badger, Yessir among others,. Is it a part of someones job description to monitor and how much a day. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I believe the club do view this site in some capacity, but the slight difference is Tom Tainton is using the rugby forum as a Q&A forum - he started a thread on there a while back for issues to be raised to him

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The question is not is it monitored, but is it officially monitored. 

We know Badger, Yessir among others,. Is it a part of someones job description to monitor and how much a day. 

of course when he was an employee Adam B was always on here

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

of course when he was an employee Adam B was always on here

Exactly my point. Adam B is not employed anymore (and was really unserimoniously dumped). Was it in his job description to come here monitor and report back? I had many conversations with Adam through here, regarding broadly customer service issues, never about football issues.

Yessir was clearly reporting to GJ and anyone who thinks Maggie doesn’t mention this place to Steve is dreaming, but that really is unofficial

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

I'd love to see the stats for our results before the international breaks, they always seem to 'come at the wrong time'.

On 03/04/2018 at 12:25, Midlands Robin said:

What makes that list look more bad is the fact that of the 11 occasions listed, prior to 7 of them we won both the preceding games. In fact counting the 22 games played prior to those listed above (2 matches before each of the 11) our record is played 22, W16, D4, L2.

before: P22 W16 D4 L2 Win percentage 73%

After: P17 W1 D6 L10 Win percentage 6%

There ya go. 3 wins in a row for us leading into this break. Hopefully that's where the similarities to previous seasons end & we continue with the good form after. 

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly my point. Adam B is not employed anymore (and was really unserimoniously dumped). Was it in his job description to come here monitor and report back? I had many conversations with Adam through here, regarding broadly customer service issues, never about football issues.

Yessir was clearly reporting to GJ and anyone who thinks Maggie doesn’t mention this place to Steve is dreaming, but that really is unofficial

Pretty much any large company has someone monitoring social media these days. Whether it`s a full time job or just part of someone in the media department`s other duties, who knows but I`d be astounded if City/BS don`t do it in some capacity.

34 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Pretty much any large company has someone monitoring social media these days. Whether it`s a full time job or just part of someone in the media department`s other duties, who knows but I`d be astounded if City/BS don`t do it in some capacity.

Exactly. But you wouldn’t expect the customer service guy to be monitoring for football issues. 

Do we have a guy/girl that monitors the football issues. Some of the stats thrown Out here are pretty interesting (At times) and there are some relatively knowledgeable people regarding players young and old. 

Its easy to dismiss anything for being faceless but there is the occasional nugget and people do spot stuff. 

On 03/04/2018 at 11:46, ExiledAjax said:

It would be a big job but surely to really get a sense of whether this is causation or correlation you would need similar data for every other team in the division (or even the entire 92). Otherwise you are only analysing our data in isolation.

I am no professional statistician, but I am fairly confident that if you analysed the results of every league team in the match immediately after international break, there would be the same number of teams that have won as there are those that have lost?

Anything else would be fishy.

@Olé`s OP refers to extra preparation and training but is that actually the case with, at times, up to 40% or so of our matchday squad jetting off to all points of the compass with their countries. If everyone were fit and selected we could easily have Wright, Kalas, Kelly, Da Silva, Famara, Eliasson, COD & Weimann off on international duty.

Clutching at straws time for the Leeds game, but after the shocking run of results under LJ after international breaks, we have actually - so far this season anyway - reverse this trend this season.  We actually beat Sheff United after the first break in  September (albeit we lost to WBA a few days later) and then won 2 on the spin (Brentford and Hull) after the international break in October.  So in typical LJ "bizarre run" style perhaps he has stumbled on some formula of wining games after international breaks - we shall see!

Another odd stat (which unfortunately reminds me of that disastrous run of losing 8 games on the trot all by 1 single goal) is that every result since that WBA game on 18th September has either been a draw, or a victory or defeat decided by a single goal, whereas before that we beat Blackburn 4-1, QPR 3-0 but lost 4-2 at WBA and home to Boro 0-2.  So that is 9 consecutive games that have been tight affairs (on paper anyway) .

And we still haven't conceded after  67 minutes of any game this season.

But yes I am clutching at straws!

I will be very surprised if we don't lose at Leeds. Despite their injury list and relatively mediocre form.

It won't surprise many if we do lose. However, lose the next one at Ipswich too and things might start to get ugly for LJ. Lambert is going to be desperate to start getting wins and I can see us being perfect for them right now.

Five straight defeats and I think we might start to see the banners coming out again.

Leeds lost vs WBA 4-1 and have many injuries, we are not good at the moment but think it can be the right time to play Leeds. Keep it simple and away fast with the ball, counter attack and 1-0 win. That would be something. Leeds are big favourites but its football and championship.

Leeds lost vs WBA 4-1 and have many injuries, we are not good at the moment but think it can be the right time to play Leeds. Keep it simple and away fast with the ball, counter attack and 1-0 win. That would be something. Leeds are big favourites but its football and championship.

Say it again, he he.

It's simple LJ and his 2 monkies don't have a clue as we still can't do the basics...... none of them want it enough as most who we're not on international duty spent time with their families and once again that will show Saturday. We're a soft touch bottom line and that won't change until he's GONE.... You all forget what a well respected ex player posted last year and that hasn't changed.

On 03/04/2018 at 11:36, Kid in the Riot said:

Post-international breaks we have collected 8 points from 16 games.

4 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I will be very surprised if we don't lose at Leeds. Despite their injury list and relatively mediocre form.

It won't surprise many if we do lose. However, lose the next one at Ipswich too and things might start to get ugly for LJ. Lambert is going to be desperate to start getting wins and I can see us being perfect for them right now.

Five straight defeats and I think we might start to see the banners coming out again.

It’s ready to go.

Archived