IGNORED

LJ :- It could be a difficult summer..

iamalagerdrinker

I've got no problems with a few players leaving, even key players, what's critical is we bring in the right players:

a) early to integrate with the team and style of play

b) who are ready made replacements (difficult)

c) that are not 'one's for the future'

If we have another January style window in the summer and lose a couple of best players I can only see us having a 'difficult' season.

3 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Not a good quote for the fans. What about 'It could be a exciting summer' or 'it could be a promising summer' headlines like the title post is almost dooming us to do poorly. 

Assuming its about potentially losing our best players you know he'd then get slated for saying 'exciting' or 'promising' summer, the reality is he's being honest if we lose a few of our best players then it does have the potential to be difficult 

5 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Flint and Bryan will almost certainly be off.

It will be Bryan and Reid.  They are the 2 with the higher transfer value and shorter contracts.  As they are the 2 home grown players it will not go down well you can be guaranteed. 

Just now, The Bard said:

It will be Bryan and Reid.  They are the 2 with the higher transfer value and shorter contracts.  As they are the 2 home grown players it will not go down well you can be guaranteed. 

I expect Flint to leave, he's at peak value right now and we can potentially make £8m-£10m profit on him which is exactly what our transfer philosophy is all about. 

In terms of replacing them, we need to stop signing blokes from Ligue 2 and Scandanavia and concentrate on Championship experience and progressive types from League 1 or even League 2 if they're outstanding at that level.  It would also help if we actually play them when they're signed rather than the scenario with Eliasson where he looks promising but isn't on the pitch...

The existing squad peaked early this season, some players will be looking to move to bigger clubs/ more money, certain inevitability. The summer will be rebuilding, with the expectation that younger fringe players step up, and suspect recruitment will continue in that vein, with the odd experienced player. With our resources, it's either that, or the 'journeymen' route, and if looking longer term, the option we are taking will be the better option. Not popular with some, but the only way we can compete. My guess is that, without the cup run, we would be in the play-offs, we just didn't have the depth of squad or quality for both, and January was not good. Oh well, onwards and whatever.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

I expect Flint to leave, he's at peak value right now and we can potentially make £8m-£10m profit on him which is exactly what our transfer philosophy is all about. 

I can't see anyone paying £8 million for Flint.  He's late 20s and progression is less likely should he move up a division than either Bryan or Reid.

Just now, The Bard said:

I can't see anyone paying £8 million for Flint.  He's late 20s and progression is less likely should he move up a division than either Bryan or Reid.

Struggling prem team or relegated prem team, know its not Pulis anymore but WBA anyone? They'll lose Evans for a few mil due to his release clause, Dawson could go too and they'll be desperate for CB's. They wouldn't be buying for progression they'd be buying for immediate impact. 

2 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Cheeselymate must clearly be the turd or he can clearly read a crystal ball but all his previous suggests he doesnt smell right (maybe from another club?)

He's a red, don't worry on that score.

If the likes of Hegeler, Steele, GON and the loanees move on, so be it but we need to expect interest in Bobby, Joe B, Aden F etc and potentially lose a couple to bigger paying clubs but it will cost the buying club big time. At least Flinty protected the club by signing a new deal, unlike Bobby eh!

Let's see what money is reinvested and then start moaning.

I agree about Marlon BTW, a fine player and will probably be off if Flinty leaves as they're joined at the hip anyway. The wild card which would have bothered me is COD, without that injury, he could have had more than a few suitors too! 

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

Struggling prem team or relegated prem team, know its not Pulis anymore but WBA anyone? They'll lose Evans for a few mil due to his release clause, Dawson could go too and they'll be desperate for CB's. They wouldn't be buying for progression they'd be buying for immediate impact. 

I agree that he would be for immediate impact, but the fee won't be that much and hence we will be less inclined to sell if he's under long-term contract, especially to a rival.  With Bryan and Reid it's different.  Suitors are likely to be EPL, even if newly promoted and the fee will be decent for players who could go for nowt sooner rather than later.

Going back to OP - interesting interview!  Blimey.

I really thought this summer was gonna be a tweak here a tweak there, based on we’d made the playoffs, given it a shot, but fell to a big-gun and therefore 18/19 would be the old "mantra" of "we go again".  The players would be retained on the basis that we’d bring in 2 or 3 quality players, remove some dead wood to make room, and give it a real tilt.  I never thought it would be as easy as that, but it was the kind of thought process I could imagine.

I sit here now thinking we need an overhaul.  I think the squad has some players in it that despite being (very) good players restrict LJ from playing exactly the way he wants.  I don’t necessarily agree, but might be why some new players have struggled to integrate.

Fielding - decent enough, but is he the sweeper-keeper we need to play the @Cowshed press?

Flint - been excellent this season, but can only play right sided CB in a four.

Baker - can only play left side in a four, has really dipped in form, and would undoubtedly spark interest.  Exposed if LCB in a 3 (5)

Pack and Smith - do they compliment each other in the style LJ wants to play?  They seem a perfect combo, one tiger, one passer, but neither break the lines like Brownhill does (not that I think he is a better player), and we need that in the way LJ wants to play through the lines.

Diedhiou and / or Djúric - does LJ really want a big-man?  One, most likely, two, no chance.

If I could keep Reid and Flint and probably Smith, I'd go for an overhaul, allowing Joe Bryan and Baker to fund some of it.

I do think we are going to see a very different eleven next season.  The days of players stating 5,6,7 years is not the norm.  It might seem strange to not see certain players lining up for us.  I think we are going to have to get used to it.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If I could keep Reid and Flint and probably Smith, I'd go for an overhaul, allowing Joe Bryan and Baker to fund some of it.

I do think we are going to see a very different eleven next season.  The days of players stating 5,6,7 years is not the norm.  It might seem strange to not see certain players lining up for us.  I think we are going to have to get used to it.

I could be wrong Dave, but LJ's comments here make me suspect we'll be losing a good number of the players we'd like to keep.

Wouldn't BR have signed a new contract by now unless he was looking to give himself the best chance of a good deal from another club? I'm sure he must have felt he was due a pay rise after his performances this season, and equally sure he must have been offered one - there must be a reason he hasn't signed on the line.

I'm always reluctant to read anything into body language, but JB seems to have been out of sorts - unhappy? distracted? - in recent weeks and I really expect him to be gone by August.

As for the others - who knows? But a logical interpretation of LJ's comments is "We're going to lose a good number of our current first XI, but we'll get good money for them, which is what the club's philosophy is all about - so all in our best interests in the long run" .

I have no problems with that philosophy. But the last few months have left me with some doubts about whether our recruitment, coaching and tactical awareness are yet up to the job of rebuilding quickly if the heart of the team is lost.

3 minutes ago, lager loud said:

I could be wrong Dave, but LJ's comments here make me suspect we'll be losing a good number of the players we'd like to keep.

Agree, just from my point of view I’d want to keep those if I could keep any.

Wouldn't BR have signed a new contract by now unless he was looking to give himself the best chance of a good deal from another club? I'm sure he must have felt he was due a pay rise after his performances this season, and equally sure he must have been offered one - there must be a reason he hasn't signed on the line.

You’d think so wouldn’t you....unless it was i’m Gonna wait to see if we are in the Prem first!

I'm always reluctant to read anything into body language, but JB seems to have been out of sorts - unhappy? distracted? - in recent weeks and I really expect him to be gone by August.

Think there’s a general "shit, we’ve blown it", and that makes us weak mentally.

As for the others - who knows? But a logical interpretation of LJ's comments is "We're going to lose a good number of our current first XI, but we'll get good money for them, which is what the club's philosophy is all about - so all in our best interests in the long run" .

As long as we do get top dollar.  I’m not convinced we will use it wisely.

I have no problems with that philosophy. But the last few months have left me with some doubts about whether our recruitment, coaching and tactical awareness are yet up to the job of rebuilding quickly if the heart of the team is lost.

I know.  All managers need a bit of luck in the transfer market, but I’d love to see a couple of £500k L1 Player come here and do the business.  That to me is intelligent recruitment, not spending £3-5m on an already known Champ player.

9 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Reid going would be huge, surely we can fulfill his financial requirements. Tell him we’ll sell him for loads in January if we’re not challenging for promotion. 

Of course we will be challenging until January; its shortly after we won't be.

9 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

100% agree with you. He shouldnt 

So why is he? To save his own skin with the fans thats why

Except we are not buying his argument.

33 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Kent probably will end up a 10 million pound player. Give it a few years and he might have improved his end product. 

You mean when an average player like Bailey Wright will command fees of 200 million? I think you could be about right there.

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Do you really believe that Cotts only signed Wilbs because he “bumped into him on holiday”.

Wow.

Irritating that we have had 5 consecutive 20 goals a season strikers when it doesn’t fit your agenda, isn’t it?

Baldock aside (bought at a Championship price, so no real achievement for him to get goals in League One) I’d argue we have got the other 4 very right.

Far easier targets to criticise in our recruitment than these..

First of all I have no  agenda as you put it, and if you’re delighted with our recruitment over the last few years then that’s up to you. But I would think your in the minority. As I said I am referring to our overall policy, and 5 20 goal a season strikers in 5 years skews the facts and isn’t exactly true.. Wilbs would have been known, but scouted particularly for a promotion push , I doubt. Kodjia and Tammy , genuine finds, but Tammy was hardly a secret. Bobby is great work by LJ , he wasn’t scouted as such. So back to my original point, with our (overall) recruitment over the last few years I would not be too optimistic. Good strikers and goal scorers are hard enough to find, ones that link play , work as hard as Reid and score goals?  Rocking horse shit rare.

i hope I’m wrong and the scouting side comes through this summer, we’ll need it, but I have doubts.

Interesting interview.  Like others You had to dig to find it. Shame he did not mention the win ratio of 4 in 22 since the Wolves game which I think the majority here might concur was the turning point in our season. ( and if that form continued in 18/19 season we would be relegated or at least embroiled in a relegation scrap)

I am surprised about a general feeling that Baker might be off. He is a LJ signing and LJ has said he is a big player for us but needs him 100% not at 80% with niggles and out of sorts.  I do suspect Flint will go but do not forget how good NB was with BW at the start of the season when Flint was out of the side. 

We are are no different to any other side, players come and go, we the fans are the only constant.  The club always want business done early, summer will be a fun time on here:shifty:

19 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Interesting interview.  Like others You had to dig to find it. Shame he did not mention the win ratio of 4 in 22 since the Wolves game which I think the majority here might concur was the turning point in our season. ( and if that form continued in 18/19 season we would be relegated or at least embroiled in a relegation scrap)

I am surprised about a general feeling that Baker might be off. He is a LJ signing and LJ has said he is a big player for us but needs him 100% not at 80% with niggles and out of sorts.  I do suspect Flint will go but do not forget how good NB was with BW at the start of the season when Flint was out of the side. 

We are are no different to any other side, players come and go, we the fans are the only constant.  The club always want business done early, summer will be a fun time on here:shifty:

Baker is here to put himself in the shop window nothing more 

7 hours ago, hodge said:

same could be said of Saints and Stoke if they drop. They'll all want to bounce straight back. Sunderland were never in that financial category and more pain will follow when they are relegated again. The decent players they have left are being hawked for cut price fees to compensate for the exorbitant wages they'd be looking for (and Sun'lun would still owe) if they didnt leave. They really are in a very sorry state right now. I'm reminded of Bristol City, early 80's.

8 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Show me a public forum where there isn't a mix of views. That's as ludicrous an idea as going onto a Tory website and expecting to find compassionate views on social justice. What are you expecting? 

I don’t expect anything - just glad I have absolutley nothing to do with the running of a football club with every little thing always being looked at as propaganda or bullshit - I would not want Matt Parsons job in a million years. 

13 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Imagine any of them going over the Bridge 

:gaah:

Don’t know about over it

I think I may be off it if that happened 

Could happen easy,

10 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Perhaps he's been told to sell some/certain players and isn't very happy about it? :dunno:

In order to fund new signings? That's probably true. I'm guessing that SL is tightening the purse strings which offset LJ's comments yesterday.

Archived