IGNORED

Come on now everyone...

Lack of Action Man

Did you really expect any different from this season? And I don't mean expecting to finish around mid-table on day 1 (which was a reasonable assessment for that time period), but rather did no one else not totally expect us to implode inward in a supernova of shitness?

At no point during our remarkable first half of the season did I feel comfortable we would finish in the top 6, let alone the top 2. It's what we do! Brighton play off final, Hull play off final - we are the masters of snatching failure from the jaws of success.

We have some talented players that are are capable of beating anyone in one-match-football, but what we don't have is a squad and manager capable of delivering consistency over a 46 game season.

Being a cynic should be in Mark Ashton's "fan bible" for all new City fans. It'll save you a lot of heartbreak in the many dour years to come.

Anyway I think we need to be clear in the summer what our strategy is - not so long ago we had the 5 pillars. Are we still (mostly) adhering to this vision? Or do we need a new foundation upon which to drive the club forwards and prevent us regressing.

3 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Did you really expect any different from this season? And I don't mean expecting to finish around mid-table on day 1 (which was a reasonable assessment for that time period), but rather did no one else not totally expect us to implode inward in a supernova of shitness?

At no point during our remarkable first half of the season did I feel comfortable we would finish in the top 6, let alone the top 2. It's what we do! Brighton play off final, Hull play off final - we are the masters of snatching failure from the jaws of success.

We have some talented players that are are capable of beating anyone in one-match-football, but what we don't have is a squad and manager capable of delivering consistency over a 46 game season.

Being a cynic should be in Mark Ashton's "fan bible" for all new City fans. It'll save you a lot of heartbreak in the many dour years to come.

Anyway I think we need to be clear in the summer what our strategy is - not so long ago we had the 5 pillars. Are we still (mostly) adhering to this vision? Or do we need a new foundation upon which to drive the club forwards and prevent us regressing.

I take it you'll not be supporting usNext season....

7 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Very sobering. Having been a fan of BCFC for over 60 years I can honestly say its the same every season. Nothing has changed since Terry Cooper turned a nightmare situation around. There will be fans complaining over the summer regards them not buying season tickets etc. etc. But, then the softy sets in and people spend their hard earned money to go through it all for another season, same old, same old. A bit like a mouse on a wheel really. Keep up the good work and keep spending your money for the likes of Mark and Steve to re-invest it ......

Watching the highlights of the other games today, makes me realise just how strong other team's squads are around us and above us. I think I've personally over-estimated the quality of our team. We'll probably end up where we should be, just a shame we couldn't have over achieved for a few more weeks then we would be in the playoffs. Reid, Flint and Diedhiou might be the only 3 players I would consider top quality championship players after recent showings.

We're going to have to have a bloody good summer in order to improve next season.

1 minute ago, Shtanley said:

Watching the highlights of the other games today, makes me realise just how strong other team's squads are around us and above us. I think I've personally over-estimated the quality of our team. We'll probably end up where we should be, just a shame we couldn't have over achieved for a few more weeks then we would be in the playoffs. Reid, Flint and Diedhiou might be the only 3 players I would consider top quality championship players after recent showings.

We're going to have to have a bloody good summer in order to improve next season.

Being second at Christmas shows you already have a very good side. The table doesn't really lie after 4 and a half months. 

Point proven, its the manager's and player's job to maintain (or near as a possible) that level. No reason why not. 

Something has gone badly wrong when any team becomes a pale shadow with the same players. 

3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

We needed better than what we had in January. 

To be honest...Until the Sunderland game I was actually convinced we were going up. We were looking that good and the whole atmosphere around the club was of one on the verge of something special. I'm a relative newbie at a mere 28 years supporting the club but I'd never experienced such a buzz around the club. 

That horrible capitulation against Sunderland was such a cold reality check because it showed that nothing had changed, we were still small time Bristol city and the cup run/early season form was as good as things are ever going to get. 

Surprised no, but still deflated and today was the latest kick in the balls. I'm sure I'll be buzzing to go again come August though.

Most people on here had us relegated before the season started. During winter time Johnson was walking on water. Now it’s all gone to absolute sh1t again. 

OP about right. Bit of perspective needed people. I’d have settled for mid table respectability at the beginning of season and so would most!! I suppose we all got carried away during  the cup run but players became ‘poseurs’ afterwards and that’s what has turned mood. 

Guess what? It’ll be another roller coaster next season!!

1 hour ago, OddBallJim said:

Anyway I think we need to be clear in the summer what our strategy is - not so long ago we had the 5 pillars. Are we still (mostly) adhering to this vision? Or do we need a new foundation upon which to drive the club forwards and preven

1 hour ago, OddBallJim said:

I’ll be happy with just the one pillar

56 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Exactly this. We’re a team that massively over achieved. We all went “ this is so easy” and then bam we’re average. Which of course we are. With a manager who clearly needs to actually learn some lessons.

36 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Exactly this. We’re a team that massively over achieved. We all went “ this is so easy” and then bam we’re average. Which of course we are. With a manager who clearly needs to actually learn some lessons.

BUT, we're NOT bam average, if we were we'd be well in the play-offs............. we're gone "bam" shite , that's the point !

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

To be honest...Until the Sunderland game I was actually convinced we were going up. We were looking that good and the whole atmosphere around the club was of one on the verge of something special. I'm a relative newbie at a mere 28 years supporting the club but I'd never experienced such a buzz around the club. 

That horrible capitulation against Sunderland was such a cold reality check because it showed that nothing had changed, we were still small time Bristol city and the cup run/early season form was as good as things are ever going to get. 

Surprised no, but still deflated and today was the latest kick in the balls. I'm sure I'll be buzzing to go again come August though.

After 40 years+ you'll know better....

1 hour ago, bristol red said:

It’s a shame but also blatantly obvious that the powers at be didnt want City to challenge for promotion this season. The players are relieved too as they have have a secure wage and some stability next season.

Yes I’m sure the ‘powers’ at our club didn’t want the multi millions of pounds that can be earned by just one season in the top flight.

Jesus fuggin Christ.

3 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Yes I’m sure the ‘powers’ at our club didn’t want the multi millions of pounds that can be earned by just one season in the top flight.

Jesus fuggin Christ.

No they bought their own bullshit and got cocky.  Quelle surprise.

2 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

don't you just  hate it when you're right though.

12 minutes ago, RumRed said:

I’m not sure what that means?

Do you mean that they thought we were good enough to compete until the end of the season with what we had Pre January Transfer Window?

If so, I would agree that was possibly their thinking, although the ever growing injury list would’ve surely sounded some alarm bells?

I do think there was a reluctance to ‘upset the AppleCart’/Spend big* (delete as applicable).

I don’t believe that the club (management or players) have deliberately tried not to gain promotion to the Premier League.

Just now, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I’m not sure what that means?

Do you mean that they thought we were good enough to compete until the end of the season with what we had Pre January Transfer Window?

If so, I would agree. 

I also think there was a reluctance to ‘upset the AppleCart’/Spend big* (delete as applicable).

I don’t believe that the club don’t want promotion to the Premier League.

I believe they thought they walked on water and were more than good enough.

Got their feet wet now though.

If I'm honest I've expected a lot more from the the team we had. It's still there ayling hasn't been replace. Freeman hasn't really been replaced. Kodjia has he been replaced??? Hmmm bobby Reid on the books, Reid & kodjia I would of liked to of seen that. Did we bring a good coach in YES. Did we bring In a confident coach/manager in NO

31 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Would never say that. They want the club to be sustainable. The issue is Johnson and Ashton spunked away the Kodjia money. The only players signed for fees that have improved the team are Diedhiou and Baker. 

And I don't think the latter would be here if it wasn't for Cotterill getting Bakes in on loan in the first place.

The issue isn't how much we spent, we spent more net than Cardiff or Fulham. It's what we did with it.

46 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

BUT, we're NOT bam average, if we were we'd be well in the play-offs............. we're gone "bam" shite , that's the point !

I can feel your desperation.I'm old as well.

It's  almost like our bats gone and they want us to be patience,

Well fuck you City  this was our chance and we blew it , and now? once again were back down there.

And we can sing with aplomb Were shit and we know we are.

8 hours ago, stortfordred said:

Most people on here had us relegated before the season started. During winter time Johnson was walking on water. Now it’s all gone to absolute sh1t again. 

OP about right. Bit of perspective needed people. I’d have settled for mid table respectability at the beginning of season and so would most!! I suppose we all got carried away during  the cup run but players became ‘poseurs’ afterwards and that’s what has turned mood. 

Guess what? It’ll be another roller coaster next season!!

I can’t subscribe to this and it’s a theory on the forum that has phased me off since Christmas.

we were good enough to maintain a strong promotion push, playing fantastic football, all the way until Christmas. It should have been sustained from that point and we should have been in the play offs. It was not luck that got us there.

The form since Christmas should or garners allowed to happen.

39 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I can’t subscribe to this and it’s a theory on the forum that has phased me off since Christmas.

we were good enough to maintain a strong promotion push, playing fantastic football, all the way until Christmas. It should have been sustained from that point and we should have been in the play offs. It was not luck that got us there.

The form since Christmas should or garners allowed to happen.

And this attitude that “we were in 2nd at Christmas, so why can’t we stay up there all season” fucks me off. Why should it be sustained??

A season is played over 46 (league) games, not 23. 

Ask Cardiff, ask Sheffield Utd, ask Derby, ask Villa. A small selection of the teams up in 2nd at one point who couldn’t stay there or even in the top 6 in our, Sheffield Utd and Derby’s case.

The teams that go up are those with the best squads, our squad is no where near ready. 

OP makes a good point - the reality is some of the strongest critics of the club/mananger right now are the ones who would have laughed in your face if you’d said we would finish around the top 10 this season. 

We were nailed on for relegation last summer - yet the progression is there and we’ve had a season fighting at the right end of the championship. Who is to say we can’t make another step forward next season and challenge more consistently, even if we lose a couple of our best players. Preston and Brentford examples of teams who have sold their best assets, reinvest and still compete at the right end of the table, no reason why we can’t. 

Finish this season, wipe the slate clean and go again next time, hopefully with the likes of Kelly, Vyner, Bakinson etc coming of age in the first team and potentially £20/30m to reinvest in the squad.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

And this attitude that “we were in 2nd at Christmas, so why can’t we stay up there all season” fucks me off. Why should it be sustained??

A season is played over 46 (league) games, not 23. 

Ask Cardiff, ask Sheffield Utd, ask Derby, ask Villa. A small selection of the teams up in 2nd at one point who couldn’t stay there or even in the top 6 in our, Sheffield Utd and Derby’s case.

The teams that go up are those with the best squads, our squad is no where near ready. 

OP makes a good point - the reality is some of the strongest critics of the club/mananger right now are the ones who would have laughed in your face if you’d said we would finish around the top 10 this season. 

We were nailed on for relegation last summer - yet the progression is there and we’ve had a season fighting at the right end of the championship. Who is to say we can’t make another step forward next season and challenge more consistently, even if we lose a couple of our best players. Preston and Brentford examples of teams who have sold their best assets, reinvest and still compete at the right end of the table, no reason why we can’t. 

You miss the point or ignore it that since the Wolves game in the last 23 games, yes 23 we have won 4 . 4 wins out of 23 which in effect is half a season .  It cannot be dressed up , but that simple stastitic speaks volumes.  Our current form over that period is nothing other than relegation stuff, If that is carried on into next season ?

A new season will start next August but the recruitment and LJ comments on that video on another thread (re a difficult  summer ) can hardly fill any sane City fan with confidence. 

You ask and state it fxxks you off that fans attitude prevails where our fans had  an expectation that the first half season form Should have continued. Yes we have no divine right to roll teams over but likewise our fall from grace has been staggering not helped by a joke of transfer window in January , when not one of those signings even made the bench yesterday.

Your right, I have an attitude and a reasonable expectation. I want us to compete at the right end of the table.  Current form over half a season makes this unlikely alongside LJ comments. 

11 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Being second at Christmas shows you already have a very good side. The table doesn't really lie after 4 and a half months. 

Point proven, its the manager's and player's job to maintain (or near as a possible) that level. No reason why not. 

Something has gone badly wrong when any team becomes a pale shadow with the same players. 

It's also about recruiting older, experienced players who are the glue that holds a successful side together when games get tough. Cotterill had his captain, Wade Elliott in midfield and Wilbraham leading the front line. Johnson brought in O'Neill, but he's hardly played due to injury. Why weren't we in the market for similar characters? Staggering.

11 hours ago, ontariored said:

Very sobering. Having been a fan of BCFC for over 60 years I can honestly say its the same every season. Nothing has changed since Terry Cooper turned a nightmare situation around. There will be fans complaining over the summer regards them not buying season tickets etc. etc. But, then the softy sets in and people spend their hard earned money to go through it all for another season, same old, same old. A bit like a mouse on a wheel really. Keep up the good work and keep spending your money for the likes of Mark and Steve to re-invest it ......

Exactly. Look at my signature and you'll see I totally agree.:grr:

20 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

It's also about recruiting older, experienced players who are the glue that holds a successful side together when games get tough. Cotterill had his captain, Wade Elliott in midfield and Wilbraham leading the front line. Johnson brought in O'Neill, but he's hardly played due to injury. Why weren't we in the market for similar characters? Staggering.

Because that is not the plan.

The club will be delighted to sell the likes of Bobby and Joe for the right fee this summer.

Then the game starts again with maybe Vyner and Kelly going the same way in a couple of seasons time should they develop in the way expected.

In no way is that a model that will get the club promoted  - which begs the question, does the club actually want it?

Further up this thread a comment about how the club must be mad to not want the riches that even one season would bring which I completely agree with.

The January window indicated otherwise. And, please no more arguments about we could not afford to get in someone on loan on £40k per week, really?

Would the gamble not have been worth the risk?

Would that £40k plus the loan fee be really that much more than what we paid for Diony and Kent?

Did we really need to sign permenantly a CM who has made zero impact and was never going to make the difference - could we not have used that money?

Would we have got the quality required? Don't know, but our stock was very high at that point, so we would have had more than a chance.

I read an interesting article in the Times yesterday by Ben Kay, the former rugby international is now in PR and Marketing, and was writing about the "Bears" stuff from a position of knowing rugby and from his prospective in his new career.

The final paragraph was hugely interesting, I am paraphrasing however, he commented that most of the top rugby clubs in Europe are concerned that the rugby club, " with their huge financial resources " could become a major power in the game.

And that the switch to AG was all part of that plan.

I wonder..........

I wasn't talking about spending fortunes or otherwise. Just identifying a fact, based on our ability to throw away two and three goal leads over the last two seasons that the club need one or two older, wiser characters who can produce a positive reaction when we concede. If we can't find those leaders, we'll continue to helter skelter or sink. Is that a good plan?

3 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Preston and Brentford examples of teams who have sold their best assets, reinvest and still compete at the right end of the table, no reason why we can’t. 

Finish this season, wipe the slate clean and go again next time, hopefully with the likes of Kelly, Vyner, Bakinson etc coming of age in the first team and potentially £20/30m to reinvest in the squad.

They have repeatedly demonstrated their ability to do so

We havnt - anything but IMHO

You can’t just wipe the slate clean - Not as simple as that

We will be left with the knock on effects of the second half of this season and the  remnants of this season , invcluding what’s left of the side , whether we like  it or not 

Archived