IGNORED

Head Coach Vacancy at Barnsley

RidgeRed

Could LJ be tempted even though they say never go back? After all he did contribute to their double season before we poached him. They have a project to find em in the lower leagues, or bring em through the academy & a superb coaching set-up that LJ must have been involved in during his time at Oakwell. 

We heard, often, from Barnsley fans last season as we battled relegation with LJ & they were doing rather better. It had a hint of "told you so" about LJ but we were on our record losing streak so maybe not all sour grapes. They were about to sell their best players but they had the next batch coached up & ready to fill the voids, or so they said. Sound just a bit like our project? Well, like ours except our next batch isn't ready or have been near enough written off. Now I know we have SL who has already shown his willingness to back his manager with cash so all is not lost. Barnsley, at that time, didn't so had to go the cheaper route.

Hasn't turned out well for them has it? Maybe it was the loss of Heckingbottom to Leeds but I think it shows we need to be careful that our project doesn't lead to League 1, too. We have numerous players "in development", farmed out etc. If we're serious about survival in the Champ, let alone promotion, we need some quality incoming this Summer. Am I confident that our management team will find such players, no. Just desperately hoping I'm wrong. 

ps to any visiting Gas........Understand that Barnsley now have a billionaire owner so you may have some serious competition bidding for star players next season though the lure of Tents R Us & those famous quarters will, no doubt, be the deal clincher.

33 minutes ago, RidgeRed said:

Could LJ be tempted even though they say never go back? After all he did contribute to their double season before we poached him. They have a project to find em in the lower leagues, or bring em through the academy & a superb coaching set-up that LJ must have been involved in during his time at Oakwell. 

We heard, often, from Barnsley fans last season as we battled relegation with LJ & they were doing rather better. It had a hint of "told you so" about LJ but we were on our record losing streak so maybe not all sour grapes. They were about to sell their best players but they had the next batch coached up & ready to fill the voids, or so they said. Sound just a bit like our project? Well, like ours except our next batch isn't ready or have been near enough written off. Now I know we have SL who has already shown his willingness to back his manager with cash so all is not lost. Barnsley, at that time, didn't so had to go the cheaper route.

Hasn't turned out well for them has it? Maybe it was the loss of Heckingbottom to Leeds but I think it shows we need to be careful that our project doesn't lead to League 1, too. We have numerous players "in development", farmed out etc. If we're serious about survival in the Champ, let alone promotion, we need some quality incoming this Summer. Am I confident that our management team will find such players, no. Just desperately hoping I'm wrong. 

ps to any visiting Gas........Understand that Barnsley now have a billionaire owner so you may have some serious competition bidding for star players next season though the lure of Tents R Us & those famous quarters will, no doubt, be the deal clincher.

I would drive him there now.

1 hour ago, RidgeRed said:

Could LJ be tempted even though they say never go back? :laughcont: NOPE.....After all he did contribute to their double season before we poached him. They have a project to find em in the lower leagues, or bring em through the academy & a superb coaching set-up that LJ must have been involved in during his time at Oakwell. 

Archived