IGNORED

The Promotion and Cup winning squad.

Negan

So the window opens soon and some of our players are looking highly likely to leave. Most of the players that look to be heading out are our promotion winners. Flint, Bryan, Pack and Reid all being linked with moves away from us. If we were to lose all 4 the only players remaining who done the double will be Smith and Frankie... quite sad to see that great team slowly fading away. If you had to put money on who the last one standing will be where would your pennies go! Looking at the names left I’d say Smith. I can see him staying for the next 4-5 years, the 4 above mentioned will no doubt be sold within the next 13 months and I’d imagine Frankie has his last contract out of us now. It may be a while before the last one does leave, let’s hope whoever’s left gets another promotion on his cv with us! 

It is very sad. 

Cotts left behind a very small squad that was high on quality. 

We ended the season with a bloated squad full of shit. And now we’re lookinh at selling most of the reliable ones to be replaced by people with a 1 in 10 hit ratio.

Scary times. 

19 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It is very sad. 

We ended the season with a bloated squad full of shit. And now we’re lookinh at selling most of the reliable ones to be replaced by people with a 1 in 10 hit ratio.

Scary times. 

Right, I want to take you to task and tell you , you are completely and utterly wrong!

Sadly , I can’t. 

23 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It is very sad. 

Not to stir the pot (okay a little) - remember in our first season back, some people on here would explain that Cotterill had simply assembled the best League One players, which was "easy", but we needed someone to come in and actually recruit and develop players of a much higher standard. 

How's that working out? 

Okay Cotterill may have lost his way tactically, but 3 years later it turns out his willingness to rely on those League One players was a lot closer to the first team we'd end up with, than any of those who accused him of sentimentality and predicted we'd recruit and develop to a much higher calibre.

With the benefit of hindsight, what if we'd taken those League One players that have since gone on to be the core of our team now, and simply added in 3 or 4 proven winners at Championship level, for the same outlay as we've spent on 5x as many punts . Pity no one proposed that at the time. :whistle:

1 minute ago, Olé said:

Not to stir the pot (okay a little) - remember in our first season back, some people on here would explain that Cotterill had simply assembled the best League One players, which was "easy", but we needed someone to come in and actually recruit and develop players of a much higher standard. 

How's that working out? 

Okay Cotterill may have lost his way tactically, but 3 years later it turns out his willingness to rely on those League One players was a lot closer to the first team we'd end up with, than any of those who accused him of sentimentality and predicted we'd recruit and develop to a much higher calibre.

With the benefit of hindsight, what if we'd taken those League One players that have since gone on to be the core of our team now, and simply added in 3 or 4 proven winners at Championship level, for the same outlay as we've spent on 5x as many punts . Pity no one proposed that at the time. :whistle:

Said exactly the same on a post the other day Rob

It was in the following summer the perfect scenario for a new manager with a great core , little dead wood or problems and a great base to add to

1 minute ago, Show Me The Money! said:

But these players are also part of a squad that faded so badly in the second half of the season. I have no qualms about these players leaving.

The key is to bring in better players

But it’s the better players that are likely to leave 

Even if you replace them with equal quality  (Don’t hold your breath) we’d only be in a similar state with the same set of less decent players 

Its not BR , JB , AF we should be selling its most of the rest

(Before anyone shouts I know this is part of the Clubs philosophy)(Tough ask but Shame we don’t IMHO have the staff to implement it successfully )

Or are you proposing we replace all 11/14 ?

I guess at least we’d achieve hitting the 50 signings mark

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Said exactly the same on a post the other day Rob

It was in the following summer the perfect scenario for a new manager with a great core , little dead wood or problems and a great base to add to

I think there’s a few echoes going on here.

If we can see these things, why can’t the ‘professionals’?

I really do think now, we have to bring in JJ and break the CEO job into two ‘Executive Officer’ roles. One football, which JJ occupies and reports direct to the Board,  the other business, that MA occupies.

LJ reports to JJ. MA has his commercial managers and also reports to The Board.

Something needs to change off the pitch as well as on it. 

22 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

But these players are also part of a squad that faded so badly in the second half of the season. I have no qualms about these players leaving.

The key is to bring in better players

But will SL be willing to fund that as it will cost more to replace than what we sell them for? 

Somehow I think not from his comments in his interview. 

43 minutes ago, Olé said:

How's that working out? 

Come to think of it Cotterill also signed Kodjia, Callum Robinson, Baker and Fredericks.... all 4 are now quality in this league. Cotterill has a good eye for players, maybe he couldn’t get the best out of them in this league but one thing we can’t fault Cotterill for is his recruitment, as for Lee Johnson... well.... let’s hope 4th times a charm. 

Fielding 

Ayling Flint Baker Fredericks 

Robinson Smith Bryan 

Freeman

Reid Kodjia 

how good does that team look knowing what we know now 

1 minute ago, Negan said:

Come to think of it Cotterill also signed Kodjia, Callum Robinson, Baker and Fredericks.... all 4 are now quality in this league. Cotterill has a good eye for players, maybe he couldn’t get the best out of them in this league but one thing we can’t fault Cotterill for is his recruitment, as for Lee Johnson... well.... let’s hope 4th times a charm. 

It’s his fifth for what it’s worth !

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

It is very sad. 

Scary times. 

Not just high on quality either - the team spirit fostered by Cotts in that squad was superb as well.

The current bloatedness of our squad is a concern - the number of players signed who rarely play or fall out of favour really makes our recruitment look pretty poor.

1 hour ago, Negan said:

Fielding 

Ayling Flint Baker Fredericks 

Robinson Smith Bryan 

Freeman

Reid Kodjia 

how good does that team look knowing what we know now 

Can you imagine if he’d been backed to signed two players he wanted: Maguire and Andre Gray......

would they really have cost more than our non-playing signings: Moore, Engvall, Eliasson, Walsh, Hegeler, Woodrow, Kent, Leko, Giefer, Djuric, Magnússon....

9 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Can you imagine if he’d been backed to signed two players he wanted: Maguire and Andre Gray......

would they really have cost more than our non-playing signings: Moore, Engvall, Eliasson, Walsh, Hegeler, Woodrow, Kent, Leko, Giefer, Djuric, Magnússon....

We keep being told how professional a club off the field we are, but I for one would like to see some evidence.  Maybe the problem is we pay too many key backstage staff peanuts. And I think this problem lies firmly at SL's door, see web for criticisms of Hargreaves Lansdown employee relations.

It’s bound to happen one day. Players move on, they weren’t/aren’t outstanding players, don’t see any of them that are still with us or who have already left setting the championship alight with the exception of Bobby, our problem is replacing them with better quality which we are definitely struggling with.

41 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

It’s bound to happen one day. Players move on, they weren’t/aren’t outstanding players, don’t see any of them that are still with us or who have already left setting the championship alight with the exception of Bobby, our problem is replacing them with better quality which we are definitely struggling with.

They might not be world beaters but they are known quantities, unlike out of form rejects...... Kent, diony, Walsh or random signings not to be given a chance/of unknown quality: Eliasson, Engvall, Hegeler, Moore

4 hours ago, BobbyC said:

The squad at Bradford when they won 6-0 and  promotion.

One of the biggest mistakes was getting rid of the guy in the centre of picture...Mr 110%

138.JPG

I'm having a derp moment. Are we on about Ayling, or the guy in the tracksuit waving at the camera?

...Seriously. Who is that? I have no idea.

11 minutes ago, Fuber said:

I'm having a derp moment. Are we on about Ayling, or the guy in the tracksuit waving at the camera?

...Seriously. Who is that? I have no idea.

I've got no idea either. Thought he was on about Agard.

4 hours ago, BobbyC said:

The squad at Bradford when they won 6-0 and  promotion.

One of the biggest mistakes was getting rid of the guy in the centre of picture...Mr 110%

138.JPG

The one in the centre is Joe Bryan..?!

I do think the squad got broken up far too quickly in hindsight.

Not all, but with most who left there wasn’t too many complaints about at the time. It’s disappointing because of the players we’ve replaced them with. 

Its also no shock to see a lot of the promotion squad go Vegas together usually. (Not too sure if Cunningham will get an invite this year though!) 

Got me thinking is there little groups within our big group now? Whereas under Cotterill it was one. 

39 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I do think the squad got broken up far too quickly in hindsight.

Not all, but with most who left there wasn’t too many complaints about at the time. It’s disappointing because of the players we’ve replaced them with. 

Its also no shock to see a lot of the promotion squad go Vegas together usually. (Not too sure if Cunningham will get an invite this year though!) 

Got me thinking is there little groups within our big group now? Whereas under Cotterill it was one. 

I notice the likes of Magnússon, Eliasson, Engvall etc hanging out a lot on social media.

Likewise Hegeler and Moore seem to be mates.

I suppose given the age ranges and now mix of nationalities it’s inevitable there will be more groups within the squad.

All the English promotion squad players are also similar in age so I guess that helps.

8 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Cotts deserved the kind of backing Johnson is getting now, he's a better manager.

Proved that at birmingham didn’t he?

I loved cotts. But i'm not convinced that he has ever finished as high in the championship as LJ has done this season (i might be wrong..).

Eye for a player.. Probably. But tactically a liability at this level and too stubbon to change when things are going badly. And at the time things were going very badly.

Too many people are looking back with nostagia and rose tinted specs on here. Plenty on here pining for the league one team??? Really?Look at that squad- are any of the players who have left higher up the table with their current teams than we are?

Wilbs?  Nope. Ayling? Nope. Little? Nope. Freeman? Nope. Williams? Nope. JET? Nope. Agard? Nope. Wagstaff?  Nope.... I'm bored of this. There is one and it's cunningham. A whopping 6 points above us. If you want two you can have tavenier (Although i'm not convinced the scottish premiership is as high in quality as the championship... Different debate mind). Anyways - this suggests to me that they arent quite as good as everyone remembers/is making out. Cotts included.

Archived