IGNORED

The Promotion and Cup winning squad.

Negan

5 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

Proved that at birmingham didn’t he?

I loved cotts. But i'm not convinced that he has ever finished as high in the championship as LJ has done this season (i might be wrong..).

Eye for a player.. Probably. But tactically a liability at this level and too stubbon to change when things are going badly. And at the time things were going very badly.

Too many people are looking back with nostagia and rose tinted specs on here. Plenty on here pining for the league one team??? Really?Look at that squad- are any of the players who have left higher up the table with their current teams than we are?

Wilbs?  Nope. Ayling? Nope. Little? Nope. Freeman? Nope. Williams? Nope. JET? Nope. Agard? Nope. Wagstaff?  Nope.... I'm bored of this. There is one and it's cunningham. A whopping 6 points above us. If you want two you can have tavenier (Although i'm not convinced the scottish premiership is as high in quality as the championship... Different debate mind). Anyways - this suggests to me that they arent quite as good as everyone remembers/is making out. Cotts included.

I don’t think anyone is saying they want the league 1 winning team back. It’s just looking back at them and seeing who is left currently. If you offered me Ayling back now I’d bite your hand off, they love him in Leeds and rightly so, been a solid RB for them, better than what we have currently. I’d also probably take Freeman back as well. Not the best player in the league but found his form again at QPR. Think he’d work wonders with Fam/Djuric. 

is this not all natural attrition, 

good players come and go from all clubs not just ours. they are all there and progress. 

theres a lot of mentions about the best players from 2015, but not a lot of mention about the good players we have currently, this is always people individual opinions but imo  we have a squad that has a lot of talent, and has also proved the 4 players mentioned are not the only ones that make the team work, when they haven't been playing we have been doing well as well. e.g flint didnt play when he was deciding whether to stay etc and we were winning. 

our younger players are proving themselves most games as well, Brownhill, odowda, kelly, etc 

lets not forget they were also the best side for league 1 which we would all prefer not to go back to, who's to say (im sure theres a few) that if we went back to league 1 we wouldnt do the same again with our current squad. this can be viewed for the first half of the season and the second half of the season and im sure different responses would come from it. 

7 hours ago, cider-manc said:

Proved that at birmingham didn’t he?

I loved cotts. But i'm not convinced that he has ever finished as high in the championship as LJ has done this season (i might be wrong..).

Eye for a player.. Probably. But tactically a liability at this level and too stubbon to change when things are going badly. And at the time things were going very badly.

Too many people are looking back with nostagia and rose tinted specs on here. Plenty on here pining for the league one team??? Really?Look at that squad- are any of the players who have left higher up the table with their current teams than we are?

Wilbs?  Nope. Ayling? Nope. Little? Nope. Freeman? Nope. Williams? Nope. JET? Nope. Agard? Nope. Wagstaff?  Nope.... I'm bored of this. There is one and it's cunningham. A whopping 6 points above us. If you want two you can have tavenier (Although i'm not convinced the scottish premiership is as high in quality as the championship... Different debate mind). Anyways - this suggests to me that they arent quite as good as everyone remembers/is making out. Cotts included.

Does Johnson change things when things are going badly? These horrendous runs we seem to keep going on would suggest he is equally tactically a liability. 

I think cotts is a better manager, I might be in a minority there I acknowledge that. Johnson so far has spend a fair bit on busts. 

15 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Does Johnson change things when things are going badly? These horrendous runs we seem to keep going on would suggest he is equally tactically a liability. 

I think cotts is a better manager, I might be in a minority there I acknowledge that. Johnson so far has spend a fair bit on busts. 

I'm not a big fan of Johnson, but you must remember how stubborn Cotts was when we had that dire first half of a season after promotion? 3-5-2 left us so exposed and he would not change it.

Neither of them convince me at this level.

However, you are right when you say he wasn't given the backing Johnson has had.

On 09/05/2018 at 20:54, Moor2Sea said:

I think there’s a few echoes going on here.

If we can see these things, why can’t the ‘professionals’?

I really do think now, we have to bring in JJ and break the CEO job into two ‘Executive Officer’ roles. One football, which JJ occupies and reports direct to the Board,  the other business, that MA occupies.

LJ reports to JJ. MA has his commercial managers and also reports to The Board.

Something needs to change off the pitch as well as on it. 

That’s something I wonder too. I call it football snobbery...how dare someone from outside the pro game possibly have a worthwhile opinion / view / suggestion.  Having spoken to several City players over the past few years, and Wilbs never talked down to me when chatting about football.  Similarly Joe Bryan, and Dean Holden.  In fairness, some don’t want to talk about football at all.  

On 09/05/2018 at 21:20, Negan said:

Come to think of it Cotterill also signed Kodjia, Callum Robinson, Baker and Fredericks.... all 4 are now quality in this league. Cotterill has a good eye for players, maybe he couldn’t get the best out of them in this league but one thing we can’t fault Cotterill for is his recruitment, as for Lee Johnson... well.... let’s hope 4th times a charm. 

Fielding 

Ayling Flint Baker Fredericks 

Robinson Smith Bryan 

Freeman

Reid Kodjia 

how good does that team look knowing what we know now 

Recruited for his style / tactic.  Unfortunately his style / tactic got exposed.  I don’t think it needed much of a tweak.  I think had a played a flat 3 (Smith, Pack and one other), rather than a 2 with Freeman in the free role, some of those defeats, would’ve turned into draws, and draws into wins.  Hypothetical, but I don’t think he was a million miles away.

On 09/05/2018 at 22:30, Mendip City said:

Can you imagine if he’d been backed to signed two players he wanted: Maguire and Andre Gray......

would they really have cost more than our non-playing signings: Moore, Engvall, Eliasson, Walsh, Hegeler, Woodrow, Kent, Leko, Giefer, Djuric, Magnússon....

He also brought in Liam Moore - POTY at Reading this season.

In 14/15 he signed Matt Smith - who’s done a decent job at this level on Limited starts.  Anyone forgot George Saville too?

He got a couple wrong, and if he thought he could play Flint in a back 4 at that point, he probably might’ve kept Cunningham at LB.

All a bit rose-tinted, I know, but he was close imho.

Archived